You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Haunted And Exhausted

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted And Exhausted

 

I'm a true horror movie fan and have always loved ghost hunting shows and anything to do with the paranormal. If my next-door neighbor told me that her house was haunted, I would have to go check it out. I've always been curious about ghosts and found the whole idea fascinating. No horror movie was ever too much for me to handle (although The Exorcist came pretty close). I was always interested in hearing other people's ghost stories and imagined what it would be like to experience these occurrences for myself. Well, I am no longer curious about what it is like to be haunted. The events that have taken place in my home for the last 8 months have proven that we are not alone.

We moved into my grandparent's old place this past December, which is right upstairs from my parents in a two-family home. My grandparents passed away peacefully years ago within about two years from each other and no one has lived there since. My parents would rent the upstairs just for the summer to some close friends but that's it. I lived in the same house (just downstairs) for years as I was growing up and never noticed anything that would lead me to believe we had a ghost. Now it's a whole new ball of wax.

The whole thing started with very subtle events. We usually fall asleep with the bedroom TV on and it started switching off on its own here and there. It eventually would switch off every night after we went to sleep. I woke up like clockwork almost every night soon after I fell asleep to see that it was off and my husband was sound asleep. This freaked me out but it was easy enough to shrug off and attribute it to the fact that we had an old house and an old TV so there could have been a valid reason that it was happening. This is the only strange occurrence that would happen on a regular basis until the summertime.

As the weather got warmer, activity started to increase. The dining room light would flicker every night when it started getting late. On our way to bed one night, my husband turned off the living room TV then went to the dining room to shut off the light. The TV turned back on when he reached for the light switch so he went to switch off the TV again in the living room and the dining room light went off! This is what started me thinking that a ghost could have been switching off the TV in my room at night. My husband used to place his cell phone down next to the bedroom TV at night and it would have a low battery by the time we woke up. We thought the battery was bad until he decided to leave it in a different spot and it was just fine the next day.

I was sleeping one night and felt what seemed like my husband getting out of bed. The mattress bounced a little and settled as if a weight had been lifted, but I looked over and my husband was sound asleep. The same thing happened and woke me up again later in the night. It was difficult to sleep not knowing what was going on in my room and what to expect next, so this caused a few sleepless nights.

One night, we were watching TV in the living room and my daughter was watching a movie in her bedroom. I could see the reflection of her room off of the dining room window. My eyes started wandering as I was thinking and as I was randomly looking into the reflection of her room, I saw a shadow move across her doorway. I had an immediate anxiety attack and grabbed my husband's arm to tell him quietly what I saw when my daughter started yelling for me. Startled, I walked over to her room and she told me she saw a "statue" and that she wanted to stay with me. I told her there was nothing to worry about and that she's safe, but because I knew what she was talking about I stayed with her.

My daughter had a hard time sleeping without me so I would rest with her until she fell asleep. I fell asleep there anyway half the time because her mattress is so comfortable. She also had a couch in her room and there were many nights when my husband would sleep there because his back hurt. We needed a new mattress as you can guess! Whatever or whoever is in the house does not like this sleeping arrangement. This is when the paranormal activity really started picking up pace.

My husband and I would wake up to some type of noise every night. Sometimes it would be a knock or more commonly footsteps in the room next to the bed. I know the house very well and even though it was built in 1940, I can tell the difference between footsteps and your typical settling. I practically lost my breath the night I woke up to my daughter's mattress shaking as if someone was pushing it back and forth for the sole purpose of waking us up. Another night, I woke up to footsteps then heard a rapping on the floor almost like a gallop noise that you could make with your knuckles if you had huge hands. Of course, the galloping noise was right in front of my daughter's small ride-on pony that makes no noise. That almost seemed like a bad joke.

We have seen and heard plenty of other things while watching TV in the living room. I had a curtain hanging between the dining room and the kitchen because I wanted to contain the air conditioning to the living and dining room during a heat wave we were having. It looked like someone was trying to open the curtain for a while but was not successful, and then it stopped. My husband once saw a smoky figure zoom from the bathroom into the kitchen and disappear, and so on.

My daughter ended up in bed with us one night because I was too tired to tuck her in for the fifth time. She propped her head up just as I was falling asleep and screamed at the top of her lungs, "Who's that!" I heard footsteps walking from where she was pointing. This scared the daylights out of all of us. She fell asleep after a while but my husband and I were totally shaken and kept waking up to footsteps. They were slow and very quiet, but they were noticeable nonetheless. We went to the living room at 12:30 in the morning because we couldn't sleep. My daughter soon awoke and squished onto the couch with us and finally fell asleep.

We were still lying on the couch when we heard loud, defined footsteps coming from the kitchen and into the dining room very quickly. It was almost as if time froze and we looked at each other bracing ourselves because we were sure that whatever or whoever this is was about to present itself to us. As we heard the footsteps storming our way through the house we thought for sure whatever it was, was coming around the corner any second, so I jumped off the couch and opened the front door ready to grab my daughter and high-tail it downstairs to my mother's house. This is our last experience and it happened the night before last.

The only thing that seems to get us a decent night's sleep is when I pray before bed. People I've told laughed at this but the truth is that it's the only thing that works. I want desperately to make the whole thing stop because I am so exhausted. Like I mentioned earlier, I love horror movies but I am now afraid to watch them because I fear I'll be up all night waiting for something to happen and these events seem to last longer and get louder every time they occur. I wonder if my grandparents wanted to tell me something before they passed away. I just know that they wouldn't be the type to play jokes and keep us up all night or scare my daughter for that matter. I think I might do what I've been trying not to and that is visit a psychic. I'll keep you updated.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MichelleL74, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BPOOH229 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-03)
I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I think you should keep on praying everyday. I also think that you should tell whatever it is that it needs to leave and it is not welcome there. Just say in the name of Jesus Christ I command you to leave my home and never return. You might also want to have your home blessed.
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
your story reminds me of two others

1. A lady reported an entity attacking their baby. When they would pray at night, nothing would happen. On nights they forgot to pray, they might have another attack.

2. Another lady reported their family was very into halloween, believes it might have invited a very bad demonic haunting. I think her name was Lisa Lindsey, she did a few interviews a few years ago. Also said that prayer did help but it was a very long time and still had problems-the things (plural) were very awful and persistent.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-30)
Previous posters have covered your situation quite well, I am sensing that whatever is after your attention does not seem like your passed love ones as I think they would have a more subtle approach of showing themselves to you. I was going to mention what BJJ posted, that having an interest in the paranormal and ghosts and your horror movies may very well act as an invitation this is what happened in my case. I wish you luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
bigz183 (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-30)
Thanks for the story. I was wondering if you know of anything bad happened in your house you said it's kind of old so please check in on that. Bjj has some interesting points I've never heard of and I would like to thank him for that. Anyway prayer is good I'm not a religous person so excuse me if I don't Believe in something but anyway my own personal research has told me that is more the power of belief than the belief itself that drives unwanted spirits away no reliogus battles please. Another thing please do not use a oijji board because it can bring in more un wanted spirits. With love bigz ❤
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-30)
Hi there!
I've read your story and if prayer works for you then do so.
As BadJuuJuu said:
"If prayer works for you all, keep praying. I'm curious if you pray individually, or as a family? Praying as a family may help strengthen the bonds between you."
We have ghosts in our house as well but if they are being mischievous at times I just tell them to behave. It actually works.
Keep us posted.

God Bless.
Eva_the_empath (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-30)
One thing I can tell you for sure: the thing with the battery is pretty normal. It happened to me quite often whenever I left my cell close to an electric appliance, until I read that it's advised not to do so. Since I changed my habits the battery is ok.
As for the rest of your story, I noticed that you never wrote about any harm done except for being scared. Thus, I think that who/whatever it is, they mean you no harm. They either want your attention for something, or simply coexist alongside you.
But be causcious: it may be your grandparents, but it might be something different.
So I repeat after BJJ: keep on praying (by the way: were your grandparents religious? It may be a connection), and talk to a priest about blessing your house and family.
Keep us posted!
❤ Eva
30stones (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
Excellent post, Juu Juu! I learned some new things reading it.
30stones (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
One detail you mentioned caught my attention, your praying before you go to bed. At a later time I will post my own story, but for now let me tell you----I do exactly the same thing, and it always works! "God, please keep a guardian Angel as watch over our house and protect us this night against all evil."
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
poor you this sounds realy distressing for you, you say it was your grand parents property could it be them if so maybe they are trying to tell you somthing could somthing have upsett them remodelling for example or has somthing been got rid of furniture maybe, id say its more likely to be this than anything random that's atached itsself. If you can get a good reputable psycick it would at least tell you what or who your dealing with unfortunately chossing wisely is the problem a local spiritualist church probably has a resident medium this is likely to be your best first point of call. Good luck keep us posted.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
Couple of thoughts I'm going to throw out for you to consider. You mention a fascination with the paranormal. That interest can act as an invitation in some cases. Wandering entities sense your interest, and stop by to check things out. If the environment is hospitable, they may stay. You may have unintentionally invited something in.
Another thought, and this is no way meant to say that what you are experiencing isn't real. It is possible, when a person is interested enough and sends enough of their own energy into paranormal subjects, to manifest their own "ghost." I'm not talking about a poltergeist precisely, but something along those lines. This theory is that your own interest and energy has taken on "life" of it's own, and started acting out, spawning "ghostly" activity. Similar to the unintentional telekinesis associated with poltergeists. It's real, but is just a person's own energy gone haywire. Again, no offense intended, I'm just thinking of possible causes for the activity.
I would suggest you speak to whatever is in your home, and either tell it to behave, or leave. But, you seem too frightened to project the confidence necessary for that to work. You have to say it like you mean it. Your hesitation to involve a psychic is understandable. Alot of people who claim to have psychic abilities aren't as skilled as they would have you believe. Look very carefully at anyone you invite into your home, and make sure they are what they say.
If prayer works for you all, keep praying. I'm curious if you pray individually, or as a family? Praying as a family may help strengthen the bonds between you. If you like, check with a local religious leader, and see about getting the home cleansed or blessed.
Those are just my caffeine deprived thoughts. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: