You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Ouija Board, Spirits Or Imagination?

Real Ghost Stories

Ouija Board, Spirits Or Imagination?

 

I always thought that Ouija boards were toys mixed with a part of peoples wild imaginations, until one day I had a change of opinion. From 2001 to 2003 I was the Supervisor of Security at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, in Hollywood California. The hotel was built in 1927 and was said to be extremely haunted. Part of my job consisted of me granting access to the haunted areas in the hotel, such as rooms, hallways, stairways, etc. Throughout that time I escorted a few dozen people who requested this specific tour, such as paranormal investigators, mediums, celebrities, athletes and regular people. I never found any proof of spirits, especially when the paranormal hunters would bring their electronic devices that could detect spirits. So one day, being the skeptic I was, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I brought my Ouija board to work and decided to play it on the graveyard shift. It was about 2am. I played in a room called the "Blossom Room". This room was where the first Academy Awards were held in 1929 and is the most haunted room in the hotel. Mediums confirmed that there was a portal from the spirit world to our world, in a corner in the room on a second story balcony.

I set up a chair and table in the portal corner of the room and locked myself in so no one else could interrupt me while I conducted my experiment. I also played in a way that people should not be playing such as, dimming the lights really low, playing with only one person, and asking questions in an aggressive tone. The first spirit I contacted claimed to be a friend from high school that was shot and killed in a home invasion robbery in 1997. My friend's nickname was Junkyard and when I asked the board what his nickname was it spelled JUNC. (which is what I called him for short). I then asked where we were when we shared a very close moment with one another and it was in a moving "UHAUL" van (I was moving out of the country and we expressed how we would be friends for life no matter where we lived) The board spelled UHALL. Suddenly the cursor began to move much quicker than before and in swooping circles. I then asked another question it replied that JUNC IS GONE. I asked who it is and it replied YOUR NOT ALONE.

I then asked how many spirits were with me and it replied SOULS FILL THE SKIES AROUND YOU. I began to get spooked and asked for a sign of proof, instantly I felt a huge chill and tingles from every hair on my body, from my head to toes. I was on a second storey balcony in this portal corner and I suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable, almost like I was not in control anymore and that I was becoming possessed. I quickly said goodbye and moved the cursor to the bottom of the board over the words GOODBYE and sprinted out of the room.

Later at about 6am I went back and retrieved the board. I told my co worker this story that same day and he requested to borrow the Ouija board. I happily gave it to him to keep and stated it's all yours. I've played the board before this but this never felt anything like this prior to this story. What I'm trying to figure out is, was the cursor moving because of spirits, demons or was it a figment of my imagination? I will never forget that night I played the board and will remember this experience for the rest of my life. It sure didn't feel like my imagination. I'm looking forward to hearing people's feedback on this matter.

Thank you for reading my story. Hope to hear your opinions!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, a1222222, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bonnybanshey (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-12)
I hope now you won't doubt what you cannot see my friend your lucky you weren't hurt 😐
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-12)
Wow your story is very interesting.
I must say you are very brave to have even tried to do this and alone! I'm glad you followed your instinct and got out of there when you did.
I've always wanted to go and spend the night there. I love passing by the front door when I'm in Hollywood. Maybe one day I will. Lol
Thanks for sharing your story and please be safe.
Take care,
Looney!
lauren318 (1 stories) (23 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-10-11)
i read your story and I must say I agree with how you felt... A geek to the core when it comes to these things I have always been a hypersensitive and I can't exactly say when but ouija boards have always caught my attention... Two attempts with 2 different boards both of which I have gotten rid of because my imagination got the best of me but now that I am older I recently purchased a vintage one and tried my luck once again this time being the first that I have experimented "correctly" first by saying a prayer for protection and following the do's and don'ts...i must say it takes a lot of patience because keeping it safe and of course only wanting good energies to come through takes FOREVER in two and a half hours I got the answer to maybe 3 questions before the board started spinning itself, literally spinning my brother and I had our fingers on the planchette but it was not moving and we were sitting still waiting for it to finish and eventually it did and we ended because he was a little spooked...it's hard for me to find positive people to experiment with but I do understand you wanting to just flat out jump into your experiment improperly because doing it the wrong way gets better results than the right way but in some cases it comes with a price! I do have a feeling I would get better results using it by myself and maybe having someone in the background taking notes but I commend you on your bravery of doing it completely alone but that was your mistake... Regardless of how in control you think you may be... Doing it alone makes you completely and utterly vulnerable to both good an bad energies around you I personally wish you would have stayed in the room to see what you may have contacted of course only if you would have taken more precautions and felt I guess more "protected" I am sure you wouldn't have felt so overwhelmed and could have been more calm experiences like you had especially in a place with such history come few and far between... But anyway I am completely jealous you are around such places with activity and I hope you get the chance to investigate these places LOL I only wish I were closer to partake and satisfy my own curiosity!
a1222222 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-30)
Regarding my story above, I wish that I would of stayed in the room when I felt the feeling of chills. Although being a pretty good sized guy and also being quite brave in most scary (fights, confrontations, non ghostly encounters) situations. It's easy to say I should of stayed but I remember the feeling like it was yesterday and I think I did the right thing by leaving because who knows what might have happened if I had stayed. My point is that since I ran out of the room that night I still wonder if it was possibly just my imagination getting the best of me. I've never played the quija since but still think of ghost hunting occasionally. There are a few locations that are local to me and I think I'd be willing to quench my curiosities if I could find someone that would be brave enough to join with me. The locations are the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Ca. And a haunted warehouse (made over an indian burial ground) in Carson, Ca. I would prefer to do this with an experienced person or team. Finally my obssesion with the afterlife can be put to an end. If you think your the one that would and can do this with me leave your email on this comment board and I'll contact you. Thanks Respectfully Jeff, aka a1222222 😆
phagocyte (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-29)
Get rid of the board properly.
Buy a new one.
Protect yourself accordingly and start fresh.

Here's to new beginnings!
Have fun.
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
This story gave me the chills!
Talking about ouija boards, is such a split discussion.
Some people have had good experiences (all my experiences with them have been good) where as others, like you, have had bad and scary experiences.
It might of been the way you were asking the questions.
Alot of the time it's the persons intentions of what they want to get out of the board, to what the outcome of the whole use is.
Be careful if you ever want to use one again!
Take care

C
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
I have to put in a few words here...

As I look through the comments I notice the use of the phrases...

Play with the Ouija Board... When I played with one... Play Ouija...

Why, Oh why would you 'play' with something that contacts the other side? It is not a game.

The Board can be USED as a Tool but like any Tool it is not something to be played with.

I have used them, (look at my stories) I do not now, I do not recommend using them because all to often those you use it with are 'playing' with the board and communicating with the other side is anything but a GAME.

Respectfully,

Rook
Lanafairy81 (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Ouija boards are a very spooky thing to play with, I remember being 14 and me and my sister had a friend stay over with us and we all decided to play the ouija board... Back then I surely thought my sister or our friend was moving it because it seemed to know way too much about each other. I remember clearly afterwards our family dog came bolting into the room and started to bark and growl all crazily as if something was in the closet... The closet door rattled a few times and the dog bolted out of the room. Ever since then and even more so since I was 19 or so more things seem to happen to me... Rather its a shadow in the night, waking up feeling as if I am being attacked, or even as far as sitting in bed and smelling strange smells what ever it is or how it happened I too question my imagination or have I too released something. Back in 2006 a high african priestess and psychic, she told me I had 7 demons around me and 2 angels, she also told me I had opened up a dark portal into my life and it wld continue to happen until I learned to shut the doors to it... I keep sage on me, dragons blood, salt and gems and crystals but I have also noticed when I do bindings it seems to get worse than when I just acknowledge its there and go about with my life...
a1222222 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Shinigami0, Thanks for your comment. To answer your comment, I did a ton of research before I did my experiment in 2002 at the Roosevelt. I failed to mention that I tried to play the way people should play. Such as being polite, well lit areas, not playing alone but these methods didn't work until I played the way I did. I'm 30 now and haven't played since. As far as salting the board I gave it to my friend that very morning 7 years ago. Thanks again and be safe 😆
a1222222 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
30stones, Thanks for your comment. Answer to your question is that my story was in 2002 when I was 21 years old. It wasn't so much like playing the board was important. I was simply intrigued and curious. Now being 30 I have never played the quija since that time at the Roosevelt. Thanks again and be safe. 😆
cguerra (4 stories) (16 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Only one thing I can say, DON'T PLAY WITH OUIJA BOARDS! Real ones or home made ones. I believe that playing on a Ouija board when I was a teen opened me up to the supernatural events that occurred later in my life. Although only a couple of the events where or should I say are (current spook in my house I will later write about) scary, I think some things are better left unknown. Case closed, don't mess with that thing ever again.
30stones (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Hmmmm...I've seen many comments from folks who claim it's alright to use the Ouija board as long as you follow strict and careful rules. I guess my response to that is, why even take chances?
Meddling directly with the spiritual realm is literally like playing with fire. ALL DUE RESPECT to those who use it, but there must be answered a question: with all the risk involved, what could possibly make it so important?
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
Your story is very interesting. I live in southern CA, and always see the Roosevelt hotel sign every time I go to Hollywood. I've always wanted to stay at the hotel, if only it wasn't so expensive! It's fascinating to hear a "local" ghost story, this is the only firsthand account I've heard about the Roosevelt. So the ouija board incident was the only weird thing you've experienced while working there? Great story, thank you for sharing it.
Sincerely,
Genevieve
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
Biblefreeme-
I think you've just introduced a possible new job for a hotel employee. It would definitely attract a crowd of people, although I would probably fear for their safety after a while. 😉
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
at the end of the day what you did wasn't the most inteligent thing to do but you already know this, as for it being your imagination you already know that to or you wouldn't be so freaked out would you. All I can say is youve probably gone and made the hotell even more popular with all the new ghosts youve let loose. 😊
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
First off, I applaud you for properly closing the session with "goodbye" and moving the planchette to the appropriate place. So many people forget to do this, out of ignorance, carelessness, or the fact that they may have been spooked. That is partially how they end up getting screwed over.

The thing with ouija boards is that you can't exactly dial the "correct number" for the person you're trying to reach. Pretty much, if an entity wants to talk to you through it, they will, regardless of who you want.

Please remember: if you so desire to play with a ouija again, DO NOT ask the entity to prove its existance. This is another reason people end up getting screwed. It also ties in to what I stated earlier: Its like trying to ask an incompetent operator for a specific person, but the operator ends up pressing random buttons, leaving the phone line up for grabs. (Err, I wanted to provide an example. ^.^)

For now, I'd recomend salting the board (rock and sea salt works the best) and putting it away for at least a month, or until the next full moon approaches.

And please, play with multiple people who take this seriously, do not ask for a sign, be polite, and always say goodbye if you get spooked.

I hope you will be okay and be more responsible next time. 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
The Roosevelt Hotel is a very famous hotel knows for it's ghosts. It has been featured on a couple of shows about hauntings. People have reported seeing the ghost of Marilyn Monroe, and hearing Actor Montgomery Clift play his bugle up and down the hall practicing for his role in From Here to Eternity. So why wouldn't you try to contact one of these spirits instead of taking a risk using an Ouija Board where a portal is said to be? 😕
GhostBeliver1234 (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
Yup the angry tone questions can get you in trouble while you play Ouija Board. There are rules for how to play it and how not to. But maybe they told him to get away from the cursor, and then they came to the cursor trying to tell you that using Ouija Borad with angry tone is not a joke. So next time be careful what you do, and think before you speak. 😐

~Other Than That - Take Care!~ 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: