You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Wooden Wagon In The Forest

Real Ghost Stories

A Wooden Wagon In The Forest

 

This is a story my mother described to me just after the night it happened. This however, happened a couple years ago. So here it is. My family and I live in the northern part of New Mexico on a reservation. We lease a couple of cattle ranges and we were staying at one of them for a weekend. A brief description of how the area looked. Our camp was situated on a slope of a low hillside and a 5 minute walk below, were where the corrals were located. And around us were red cedar and Ponderosa pine that led up into the farther valleys of the mountain. While south of our camper trailer was an aluminum tractor garage and between us was a dirt road that went through the trees and led to a gated, and padlocked fence. The road however, continued further up the valley.

On the first night we stayed there. It was okay. Nothing unusual and it felt like a normal weekend out in the woods. We ate dinner and roasted marshmallows, while our dogs laid content next to our fire. When we went inside and fell asleep. My mom said she woke up later in the night. It was perhaps maybe just after 1 in the morning. She moved around to get comfortable again when she heard a wooden wagon echoing in the woods. She heard the creaking of the wagon swaying side to side in a rush and the driver yelling for the horses to move faster. She had laid in paralyzed fear as the wagon came closer. She swore the wagon came so close she could hear voices on the wagon Laughter. Talking. It was like the rushing wagon looped through the woods and drove directly between the tractor garage and where we slept. It came quickly and rushed by. She said after it was over, everything was silent again. No one moved to suggest that any one else was awake during this event. Outside the dogs were silent. It was if she had a dream. Just a dream nothing else. But, the fast pace of her heart told her she heard this.

When my mother relayed this information back at home, in the comfort of loud cars and tv, we were stunned. We had slept through it like we were in a silent movie. From what my dad has said and others... Back around when the reservation was first established, there used to be tons of people that lived within those valleys. They herded sheep and lived about their lives. At times when their relatives passed unexpectedly. A lot of these families that were always on the move would bury their people in unmarked graves. At one time there also used to be a train that went through. It was just 10 minutes walk from our camp and this too, my mom says she saw a person walking along the remains of the train tracks, and never seeming to get any closer.

Other hauntings by ghost_seeker

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghost_seeker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Hi ghost_seeker, I really enjoyed your story. The way you described her experience and the surroundings made everything so real in my mind. I believe your story even if it was your mom's experience. Thanks for sharing. This will make such a good late night camping ghost story.
Take care, Trix. ❤
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
Very interesting story here, ghost_seeker. Perfect ghost story here. It sounds like residual haunting.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Oops, sorry. Somehow I accidentally posted my last comment on the wrong story. Please disregard. As for your experience, it could be residual energy from the activities of so many people in the area over the years. I find places where lots of life and activity have gone on for many generations tend to crackle with energy.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
I wish I could help you, but I can't think what it could be other than, perhaps, a glimpse of something from a different reality or an optical illusion (which doesn't explain the feelings you got from it). Question: if your mom thought it was just a thick and lively mist, why was she so surprised your step-dad drove through it and why did she lay on the brakes? Was she trying to stop or just slowing down because visibility would not be good driving through it?
ghost_seeker (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Ram: Bob? Haha okay.

Everyone else: You are most welcome. It felt pretty amazing to tell the story. This is one of the stories that pretty much freaks me out. There are others, but I will have to figure out how I can best word them and describe them accurately.

I can sure, for say, that this area is okay to hang around in during the day. But, during the night its takes on a whole unearthly feel. I get agitated, if we're still there at dusk or beyond. What's weird is this never use to happen. But, now its... Its not a very happy feeling when the sun goes down. But, my mom always says... Don't look around at night and Show no fear.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
This is really intriguing! Thank you for sharing!

Stay safe! ❤
ram (25 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
hey bob nice story it really made my skin crawl for a moment I would like to hear more incidents from you, if you have any more please let us know...
ghost_seeker (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Ibelieveheshere: Northern New Mexico. My town is about 30 minutes away from Chama, New Mexico.

Casper: ah I doubt my mom would be willing. She's accepted her gift, but doesn't want to delve any deeper. (I expect it is because they have been violent a lot of the times.) I can only sense them and hear them, when they want to be heard...
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Hello, What part of New Mexico is? I been to new Mexico before in 1992 it's been along times friendly people there. Love your story.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
Wow, this hits home with me! I sometimes hear a wagon going down my street at night. No one else in my neighborhood seems to hear it.

It happens about 3 a.m., all times of the year, about once every 2-3 years. I've heard it maybe 5 times over the past 13 years.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
Its sounds like a possible residual haunting. Its common in places with a lot of history, like Gettysburg.
nyuboom (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
very old old ghosts. The ones that are almost ancient. From the olden times.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
That location sounds like an incredible and lovely spot! ❤ Also, the wagon getting closer must have sent chills up your mother's spine! You all must of been in a very deep sleep... Was anything put in them marshmallows? 😆 Haha. I just wish you had heard it too, its hard to believe something that not been experienced by the teller-get your mother on here to tell us how she felt! 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: