You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Forest Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

Forest Encounter

 

My grandparents used to rent a house in a little mountain village for three months in the summer and I used to go there every summer since I was 5 until I was 14 with my sister, which is 7 years older than me, and my cousin which is 3 years younger than me. I really liked my time there so when I grew older this passion for the mountain stuck with me. I am now 26 and every summer I go hiking with my boyfriend. The trails we use to hike are sometimes very stiff and it's just the two of us, surrounded by the mountain and the silence that covers everything. Sometimes we even camp half way if the climb is too long.

One day we were climbing a difficult one near a lake in Italy and I finished first, so I was waiting for my boyfriend at the end of the path, at the top of that mountain. It was beautiful there, butterflies flew on the flowers around me, and birds were chirping happily. I could see the whole lake surrounded by the forest. I like to sit in the silence of the mountain and watch the stunning view of the lake and watch the animals around me living their lives. It's relaxing.

I was sitting there on a rock and, I don't know how, but I felt something was in the woods behind me. Behind me there was a precipice not very deep though and the forest would cover the end of it and all around. I stood up and tried to see if there was something down there. That's when I saw it (I still get shivers when I think about it) deep down there, there was a chamois, a beautiful one with long horns, I got excited because I rarely see one. I was looking at him from behind, his fur was light brown and he had a black line that went from the neck to the tail, but something was very wrong with it, that's when I froze. His front legs looked like they didn't end with a normal cloven hoof, but he had three fingers at the end of his front legs similar to a bird claw but not that sharp, the back legs seemed normal. I could see it cause he was walking very slowly and calmly through the vegetation. Then I noticed with great horror that his face seemed flat, no muzzle, I couldn't look at him directly in the face but I couldn't see his forehead and nose, what should have been there, just wasn't. Thinking about it now I really wished I had seen his face, just to see how the eyes and mouth were organized.

He disappeared in the pine's shadow and I was still there shocked when my boyfriend finally arrived. I told him what I saw and he didn't believe me, he laughed. I know it's not scary and it can even be funny if you think about it, a chamois with eagle leg and flat face. I thought about it all the time we were descending. It was so weird. At the end I told myself that I must have dreamed it even if I would love to know that I wasn't the only one to see that thing. I like to think it was a Deity that took the form of a chamois.

There wasn't any village at the mountain's feet so I couldn't ask if someone saw that too, or if someone knew nothing about a weird animal living in the forest.

Other hauntings by Artickpiggy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Italy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Artickpiggy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

goblinkwain (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-12-19)
Artickpiggy, I know you probably won't read this, as I am posting 7 years after you published this story... But I felt compelled to comment anyway!

First of all, I loved your story. And this creature you described instantly reminded me of one of my favorite films.

It sounds just like "the forest spirit" from the film Princess Mononoke. If you haven't seen it, its an incredibly beautiful animated film.
In the movie, the forest spirit is a nature god that has a body much like a chamois, but the feet are three-toed bird feet! And the face is flat! Maybe you saw an ancient, elemental forest guardian. You are so lucky!

Just google search "forest spirit princess mononoke". Its a very striking creature. And definitely watch the film!
Take care
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
I read about that, too, and I wonder if the mythology is based on similar experience. Maybe when you climb the same mountain in the same season and time of day, it would present itself once again.

The being/creature/entity was darker than the shadows, and he was freaked out that instead of a muzzle, there was nothing but a flat face he could not really clearly see but he knew it looked at him and backed a little to the other side of the road. Really weird.
Artickpiggy (3 stories) (4 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Thank you Amor for your kind words,
I wonder how its face looked like, I wish I could see it. It might have been born with a deformities I guess but it was super weird anyway. I've read about a japanese deities that lives in forests and it has a human flat face. The nature is full of wonderful mystery, I hope to see it again one day.

Did your brother see the dogs face? It looked like a normal dogs face or else? Wow
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-25)
Hi Artickpiggy,

Thank you for the story with vivid descriptions. Enjoyed it.

There were documented animals that were born with deformities. But if you think you sensed something supernatural, I believe you. My dearest brother shared a similar story, although with a different animal. He came across a 'dog' one really dark evening, save for a very faint moon glow. It was in the middle of a rough road on his way home. He knows what a dog is, by the movement and all, but he was surprised to notice that the face was rather flat, like a cat. There was no large cat in our area, and it moved away from him when he noticed the weird detail.

Thank you for sharing. Hope to hear more from you.:)
Artickpiggy (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-21)
Hello Elrond,
Thanks for reading my story, it's really hard to explain every little detail since english is not my first language, so I'm sorry. They weren't really like bird's feet cause they were covered by fur until the end of each finger and they ended with a claw but not sharp. I know it sound weird! Thank you for you information, I will do research about satyr!
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-20)
Artickpiggy,
I really enjoyed reading the story of your encounter. Aside from the bird feet, it reads as if you observed a mythical satyr. The setting sounds like the perfect place to view a creature from another realm. I can't explain the bird-like front feet, though. It's quite possible your view was distorted somehow, but I enjoy pondering the mystery instead.

Interesting user name too! Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: