You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Holding Me Down

Real Ghost Stories

Holding Me Down

 

I've always believed in ghosts and although I have always had a strong belief about them since the tender age of about 3, I never thought that I would ever encounter ghosts in my lifetime. Although in my house in Kennington (London), as a child I had experienced ghostly encounters where I would leave the living room and the whole house would suddenly be freezing cold and only the living room warm and especially in the kitchen while every one is asleep, I being a light sleeper, would hear things walking around and dropping things and I knew it wasn't my family as they all could sleep through a hurricane!

At around the age of 11 we moved up into the outer skirts of london (essex) and got a pretty big house for a good price. Everything was normal until about a year ago when I started experiencing being held down and not being able to move or breathe and this would always happen in the middle of a nightmare mostly of which something or someone was after me and I was seeing visions of something very terrible happening in the house.

I would open my eyes and it would be pitch black except for the tv and terrified, I would try getting up to stay with my mum and dad in their room until I'd realize that I couldn't move and this only used to happen like twice a month until it started happening more frequently days on end and I got scared of going to sleep.

My most recent encounter was this morning, I was awake and waking up from a pretty bad dream and tried getting up but I was laying there unable to breathe or move. Thank God for my mother, who when I told her about my encounters taught me to try moving my toes and fingers, because with the encounters I also would be unable to speak or shout out for help and I noticed too that even after my mother had taught me to move my toes and fingers it worked for some time then stopped working.

Sometimes after waking up in the middle of the night after the encounter and being able to breathe and move again I would make to sleep again and instantly slip into some sort of hypnotic state of which I'm not asleep and then I won't be able to move again... It still happens and it stopped for about 2-3 months and this morning it happened again I don't know what to do but if any one has any suggestions to help then it would be much appreciated!

Other hauntings by xLadyTastyx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xLadyTastyx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
If you're in Essex, does that make you an Essex Girl?

I know it's a cheeky question. But I couldn't resist.
xxSupernaturalxLoverxxx (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
Hello. I'm sixteen years old and my mother told me this happened to her about eight years ago. Last night, I had the same expierience but it was just so terrifying that I can't remember if it was real or not. I wanted to know what yours felt like.

😢 Mine happened in the middle of the night. I was on my bed, laying on my left arm. Something was holding me down and I couldn't breath. But I did move and reached out towards the door, then I couldn't move anymore. Then I tried to call for my mother to help me, but I couldn't speak and the thing wouldn't let me go. After I prayed and it went away, then came back about two more times. Any advice? 😕
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
Hi xLady. I must say that THIS is a typical 'Sleep Paralysis' episode! Everything that ewash and Shane described, as well as myself, have experienced during this ODD episode, IS the same!

What a GOOOD debate between the two (ewash ans Shane)! It was an interesting read, that's for sure! The 'Smudging Ceremony' is at the front page I believe. It is VERY informative. I DO NOT think this to be a ghost/spirit/demon so I don't think that the smudge ceremony will work. I do know that you do not believe this to be 'Sleep Paralysis', however, it more than likely is. Maybe not! Who knows for sure, right!? As for it being Demon? I HIGHLY doubt it. Also, there is a certain person that said that the 'Sleep Paralysis' happens to people that have a gift, a purpose of or for God or in life. Why would God make CERTAIN special people and not everyone? Personally and logically, I think, that everyone is special in their own way. Well, except for the weirdos! What happenened to them, huh?! What are they thinking? Also, it does not matter what side of your body you lay on (Sleep Paralysis), it happens either way. Another thing, I happen to lay on my stomach and my side (right and left side), it DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL!

Also, another thing, night terrors are WAY different than 'Sleep Paralysis'!

Oh yeah, one other thing, you tend to happen upon 'Sleep Paralysis' when you are under a great deal of depression and stress.

I could go on further but I will go, atleat for now!

SHELBY
❤ 😊 😐
Jarohnimo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-02)
You need to Call on Jesus!, This thing is Real it has happen to me and most of my fam...

These things are Demons and they come to attack you. There's a Specific demon that will try to kill you "choke you" but this is real. It happened to me before and many of the people around me. And also friends...

I tell you the truth. That at the name of JESUS these demons disapeer faster then some chocolate donuts at a weight watchers convention. These demons can not stand the name of JEsus... Jesus is above them and can defeat them all...

i urge you to ask Jesus into your life and he will fight on your behalf! If you want to See God's glory... Ask Jesus in your life...

one last note... The fact these spirits are attacking you symbolize that you are special to God... They don't attack everyone... But they attack those who has a purpose
ravengel (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Yes...this is REAL... I HAVE read on this,,, they call it the old hag... Or night terrors... Sounds cool night terrors... But didn't take a genious to come up with that name... Because that's what it is... I have had these for years... I have had about 4 this month alone... And yes, I see that peoplesay pray, read the bible, I do... I have... I read here keep bibles near the bed... I have 3 beside the bed... Not all the same either. All bibles though... I even have fellowship with jehovahs witness'... I will not convert because I was raised a certain way and my beliefs are my own but they are really good people and I like the fellowship and different views
yet... I still have these and in fact I think it's worse... Lay on your stomache when you sleep... It helps...but...if your a sleeper like me you start there but don't end there...sorry,you can train yourself to be aware of your position,... Are you a vivid dreamer?. If yes, you will awake many times a night... Probably on your back... At that time turn over on your stomache... They can still come in other ways but cannot invade... Yes when I say invade I mean hear things "evil" things,,, sometimes you are actually touched... And can hear them speaking over you... You can think... You cannot move... You cannot speak... You can hear and are well aware of your [your surroundings... Even your cat at the foot of the bed scratching it's butt but yet your vulnerable to what's over you... You feel helpless,,,, it'even worse when you hear your child screaming in the crib in the other room yet you FIGHT to open your eyes... Your mind says "oh God not again and you NEED to get up... But you can't ! Or might! Or WILL NOT!...Cannot?...Its the sign of the times... Yes demons are here and some of us have seen and been aware
for some time... Me I was 8 when they started messing with me... I can accept it and learn to defeat! I know who I am... What iam... And know that I am strong... Is it a gift? It's training! To defeat the whole possy... Joan of arc... She was awesome... Not crazy! She defeated! Learn and train... This world will not get better and lots of things will be... Yes satans demons are here and torment us... This is another form of that ! All I can say in that I am ver y much sane and knowledge is power... And you have the www. At your tips... Stenghthen yourself...fight...and defeat!
Cherstyne (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
I have had this happen a few times to me. I would wake up from a dream to a howling noise so loud it drowns out everything esle. When I try to talk or move I realize I can't. That it feels as though something is holding me down. It has lasted for a minute or more and the only thing I find that helps is praying. Once I grasp what is happening I pray, I can't even pray out loud because I still can't talk but just in my head. I just keep praying more forcefully until at last I can speak out loud again and it goes away. It used to happen pretty often and one night I prayed before I went to bed for all spirits to leave me alone and not to hold me down or interfeer with my life and I haven't had the problem in a year or so. Good luck I hope you can get it to stop.
xLadyTastyx (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Im thanking you all for all your comments, advice and support offered, it really is much appreciated and some of your advice I have taken especially one of you who mentioned keeping different hours(mayb it was another story?) but still. I also doubt that it was sleep paralyisis because although I'm not as knowledgable or as wise as some of the older posters here I felt it that it wasn't paralysis and it was definately someone/something evil. But all your opinions are appreciated. Thanks and stay blessed xx
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Dear Pinkyls24,

I thought I would add a little friendly comment help. Shane did answer your question. Please go to the bottom of the comments on this page where it reads as follows: "Read all comments for our ghost stories" and click on that for older comments already made here. Look for Shane's comment response and answer to you on ghost story, "Attacked by a Dark Entity". Hope this helps, Blessings, Abby
pinkyls24 (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
shane,

may I ask what is it to be "smudged"? I hav never heard of this? And how would you get a "charged crystal"?
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Well to put it into perspective; the church and science have both gained new perspectives on the universe we live in for thousands of years. Everyone once thought the Earth was the center of the universe then came Galileo and Copernicus. Science once thought that "draining" one's blood was the only possible way to cure disease and sickness then came Louis Pasteur who stated "little invisible entities called germs caused sickness". There are hundreds of examples.
Humankind is and has always been on a journey of discovery and a quest for our place in the universe.
At some point in the future I believe science and religion will meet in the most unlikely of places. Think about it... Science studies the "How" and Religion studies the "Why".
For now and rightly so, "Faith" is key to our understanding and our breeds hope for our own eternity.
God Bless.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
EWash, I do agree with you that there is no proof one way or the other of what really happens. As only the person who experienced it knows for sure and even then they may mistake one for the other. Oh how I would love to have proof positive of these events and of the paranormal in general, but to do so would upset the balance of things do you not agree. For if we provided proof beyond a shadow of doubt that ghost/OBE/ESP were real then churches and scientist would have to rethink their claims that it is all hog wash, smoke and mirrors or done by the devil. What chaos do you think would come of that? But they say out of chaos comes order, so who knows. Thank you for your intelligent and curtious debate on this subject as it is greatly appreciated.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Not to beat the sleep paralysis thin to death, but it has been found to be genetic.
Also, the fact that this is associated with "sleep time" supports this notion. An interesting fact about sleep paralysis is that it can happen quite suddenly and most people who experience it are convinced they didn't even nod off yet.
Now, on another plane, could this be something more/different? Of course, but a much more thorough examination of the situation would be needed. I just offer one perspective of your situation. Either way, I suggest you read up on sleep paralysis in detail - it could help you. Either way I wish you well with this situation.
pinkyls24 (9 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
i still do not think that this is associated with sleep paralysis... I know that I am awake as if what shane said it takes me ahile to knock out. I know that there is somthing there with me... I know it and I think that I have maybe giving this to my daughter
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
Shane - I do not disagree with you - but for the purposes of this discussion and its context.
I have projected several hundred times. It is the most intensely free feeling in the world - like nothing you would experience in the flesh - however, to say your soul is doing this? I vasselate from "yep - its the soul" to "No its my unconscious mind".

You must agree there is no 100% garaunteed proof it is one or the other. It is a fascinating subject that I fell into quite some years ago without "training". I am naturally inclinded to this.

It would be nice to start a discussion thread on the subject and experiences of sleep paralysis, Astral Projection and OBE, don't you think? God Bless.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
I beg to differ with you ewash on being dead as a result of the soul not being in the body. As the mind and the soul/spirit are two different parts of being human. The mind is of the body, it can and does control all the normal functions of the body with one exception. The personality, your personality is what comes from your soul/spirit or eternal being depending on your belief system. Astral project is quite possible and does occure, now is this what causes sleep paraylsis, maybe, maybe not. I know that what I experienced several different times was not sleep paralysis as I hadn't fallen asleep and I do remember the times at which I laid down and the time it took for my experiences to begin and 1 to 2 minutes just doesn't cut it for me as it usually takes anywhere from half an hour to an hour for me to fall asleep.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
This sounds very much like sleep paralysis. I've never experienced this, but if it is happening to you mid-dream - it's most definitely your mind waking up within REM sleep.
pinkyls24 (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
i don't know why or what it wants from me... Ewash but I am so tired of being afraid to get up and go to the restroom at night. This is the thing that really gets me the most when I got married 3 years ago it some what slowed down and kind of stopped (because now my husband was in bed with me) and for whatever reason it wouldn't come around. But now that thing that hurts me the most is my 1 1/2 year old daughter wakes up every night at around 3 to 3:20 am screaming and kicking as if she is being " attacked" and I feel so bad because I feel like somehow passed this on to her some way and now it goes after her and not me 😨
xLadyTastyx (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
Once again thank you all for all your well wishes and advice, I will take your advice and consider your opinions, even those that I may not agree to, but I will do so and continue to participate in discussions concerning this. Thank you all once again and stay blessed xx All the love x
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
Actually, with sleep paralysis - it is a common misconception that your soul is trying to reenter your body - in fact it is not (as your soul is inherently connected to your body and if it were to leave you'd essentially be dead. Rather, it is one of your subtle unconscious bodies trying to re-enter. You were close though - kudos.
My real question is this: if you are so convinced that it is an evil demon or such - why hasn't it devoured you already? Why are you "only" - just fearful - instead of possessed? So - I submit if it is not sleep paralysis - it is also NOT a demon. So rest easy Pinkyls24 and xLady.
pinkyls24 (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
i usually get this really sick feeling when its about to happen, and I can just feel that somthing is in my house... To be honest I know it is. When I come home after leaving I rush inside my home as if I just close the door intime for whatever it is can not come inside with me. Which I know makes no sense because it ends up in my house anyway. But it is a fear that is always there, when I have to get up at night to go to the bathroom, or to the kitchen to get some water. It was so bad when I was younger and my mom went out of town I remember I would leve every single light on in the house and turn on my TV to a religious program and drink coffee all night to stay awake, or I would go out and sleep in my car... I am 100% sure this is not MY soul trying to enter my body.
gbeach (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
I've heard that often with sleep paralysis, it's your spirit trying to get back into your body. (Astral projecting I think it's called.) You're literally out of your body as you sleep and when you begin to wake, it's actually your spirit trying to forcefully re-enter
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
I can only say - that absolutely EVERYTHING including the humming/breathing, etc. Is all part of the sleep paralysis phenomenon - NOT - I REPEAT NOT A DEMON! I know it is scary and very believable, but I can tell you what you are experiencing does not fit the the whole "demon", "succubus" paradyme in the slightest.
Regarding the humming - many people including myself call it the "buzzing" - almost electrical in nature (heard and felt). I have also heard numerous things as well -- from rapping, scratching, pounding, faint music, voices, whispering, etc, etc... I have seen a dark figure, etc... I have 25 years of examples to pull from.

Did you read anything on the sleep paralysis? Do you need some sources?

If you need responsible assistance, then let me know - otherwise use the other person's movie script material. 😁
pinkyls24 (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
I can only start this with a Thank you! Now I know that I am not crazy, and am not alone in this. This has happened to me for many years I am 24 but ever since we lived at our old home then we moved ...this thing followed me. Mine starts a bit different I am usually about to go to bed or could be taking a nap during the day. I usually sleep on my side right or left then all of a sudden can not move nor can I speak... I then feel something get on the bed with me and the get right up to my ear and I then hear a very loud humming noise... And I can ot speak , move ...nothing. I start to pray and that worked for a while but then it stopped working. One night I was so fed up with all this I thought to myself "well whatever you are if you are going to do somthing hurry up and get it over with so I can go to bed!" that was the wrost thing I could have done, at that point behind me the bed only behind me started to shake very violenty and that's not the worst part my mom was lying next to me facing the other way and did not once wake up! Then instead of the humming I heard heaving breathing in my ear and from that point I just took it as this being somthing that will forever be with me. 😭
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Hada - WOW - YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Let's make a movie, huh.
Listen, I have over 25 years experience in the paranormal arena - my guess is that is longer than you've been alive Hada. Are you serious? This individual is frightened and needs real help.
By the way the hormone theory is not a theory at all. It is medical fact.
Anyway good luck with the movie. 😁
Hada (36 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Alright now let's get to the real stuff instead of this hormone secretion theory. You are being attacked by Jinn, the creatures made from smokeless fire who have a tendency to "sleep" if you would on people. Read up on the incubi and succubi, a similar experience. There must be some kind of upheaval in your home or with yourself, troubled by something. Hopefully not. There must no be much mention of God in the house. The only way to rid yourself of this is to call out the word Allah" when being attacked as it's the only thing your mouth can form. Going with it will not be a pleasant experience, take it from those who know. In a house with little remembrance of God and the blessings bestowed upon thosae within it will allow for such spirits, some evil, some not to enter. I also recommend getting any pictures off your walls, especially pictures of human faces, as angels don't enter rooms with pictures on the wall. Try the above and let us know. This has little to do with the unconscious mind as mentioned by the person above. H/She seems to have a jin companion who spends much time with him. Say the only word you can utter in such a state and see what happens.
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
What you seem to be experiencing is called Sleep Paralysis. It is something I am expertly familiar with. Sleep Paralysis happens when your conscious mind "wake up" before your physical body. I encourage you to read up on this, as it happens to many people. Technically speaking, what really happens is that when REM sleep is entered, a hormone is secreted preventing you from "acting out your dreams" thus paralyzing you - for many of us, we awake while its effects are still present.
It can be a terrifying experience and happens just the way you describe. Now for the good stuff...
The next time it happens, instead of being afraid of it - simply relax and go with the flow - telling yourself (your rational conscious mind) that everything is ok and you may notice that the experience cam actually become enjoyable. Now this is easier said than done, but with practice (and it sounds like you are getting quite a bit of it) you will eventually overcome "most" of the fear.
As a note: Keep in mind that almost everyone who has experienced sleep paralysis says that there was a "presence" in the room with them. This is completely normal. I will say it again - this is completely normal.
From everything you said thus far, I can assure you that this is not a ghost coming for you; Rather, it is your unconscious mind - which honestly is just as intriguing as a ghost anyway.
Do yourself a favor and read up on sleep paralysis and its symptoms. Take it from someone who has had bouts with this for over 20 years and experiences one about 3 times a week! I hope I have helped.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: