You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Duplex Haunting In Waterloo, Iowa

Real Ghost Stories

Duplex Haunting In Waterloo, Iowa

 

I was watching my granddaughter at her house and late that night I thought I heard someone walking around upstairs. My four year old granddaughter was asleep in her room and no one was upstairs. I went downstairs and heard footsteps this time on the open staircase but again no one was there.

I went upstairs to go to bed and left the upstairs bathroom light on in case my granddaughter got up in the night and went to bed. I pushed a box in front of my bedroom door after closing the door and went to bed. A woke up after hearing a noise and found my door open and the box pushed to the side of the door.

I checked my granddaughter and she was asleep and my daughter wasn't home yet. I shut the door and placed the box back in front of the door and went to bed. I couldn't sleep and noticed the door slowly open as if someone was pushing it open. The box slid to the side where it was before and than I felt something sit on the end of the bed near my feet. I yelled at it to get out of my room and it was suddenly gone.

I went in to the hall and turned on the light. The attic door was right across from the bedroom. The stairs were still there but the attic had been closed off. That stairwell gave me the creeps. I had the strongest urge to shut the door, nail it shut and hang a cross on the door.

I couldn't sleep and waited for my daughter and her friends to come home. I told her what had happened and she told me that during the day they can hear people talking upstairs and walking around but no one is ever there and that it was happening even before the other side of the duplex was rented. She said it gets worse at night and that the kitchen cabinet doors to the sink in the kitchen often bang shut like something is slamming them.

She also told me that when they first moved in to the duplex they didn't feel comfortable sleeping upstairs and that my granddaughter would scream and cry if she had to sleep upstairs. I told her about the thing that opened the door and than sat on my bed and she told me that happens nearly every night in her room where I was sleeping at that sometimes it even shakes her bed while she is on it until she yells at it to get out of her room.

Whatever is in that duplex leaves my granddaughter alone now but seems to have centered its activity to my daughter's room, her bed, the attic stairs and the downstairs kitchen. I do not feel comfortable with this thing and sense something very wrong with it. It seems dangerous to me and almost threatening.

The attic draws my attention and feels wrong... A strong sense of wrong yet I feel drawn to it. After being in that house overnight I have had trouble sleeping, nightmares that I can't totally recall, my daughter has lost her job and her car blew the heads leaving her with no transportation.

I want her to move out but right now she is stuck there until she can find another job and can afford to move.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, auhma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

auhma (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-05)
I don't remember the street number but it is a white duplex on Clay Street near the new CVS store and last time I drove by that side was empty again and for rent
Krimsonhascake (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-12)
i am interested in starting my own paranormal investigating team yet I am on my own for now with very limited tools to do so, also no field experence yet I have practice know methods in friends and families homes and if willing I would like to check out the place mentioned in the above story. I live in waterloo and am very interested. I completely understand if you are unable or unwilling to allow me to do so yet I thank you for even reading this. If you are willing you may contact me at Krimsonhascake at yahoo.com

Sincerly
David o
honey91 (14 stories) (80 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
I really liked your story.

I believe that if you feel the need to hang a cross on the door, do so! I believe you should bless the house, to get rid of the thing that makes you so uncomfortable.

After you have blessed the house, I think you should go in the attic and check it out, maybe there is something up there you need to find. But don't go alone. It always seems like things happen when people are alone.

❤ 's!
medlin1603 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-09)
Hello! I'm very interested in your story, I also live in Waterloo and was curious as to what area or address this is! I live on west parker street, email me?

Medlin1603 [at] gmail.com
MidIowa (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Hello there... Your story sounds really interesting... Have you ever wanted to have a team investigate your place? I have a team of paranormal investigators that would like to help you out... Our team Midiowa Paranormal are located in west des moines iowa and if ou would like to talk please contact us at midiowaparanormal [at] yahoo.com
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
Welcome, Neighbor!
I am in Omaha Nebraska--just a hop skip and jump from you.

It is my opinion that there are so many older homes in these areas, there may have been any number of tenants that for whatever reason have not yet been able to move on. They may be feeling possesive of the home.

Was this an older single family dwelling that has been converted to a duplex?

Don't ignore your feelings.

It is just like you hear on the news, someone has a bad feeling or an odd feeling when coming home and they ignore it, walking in on a burgalur.

Our intuition tells us much, if we allow it.

Have the home blessed. If this is not possible, have your daughter ask this entity to leave her home, it apparently is an intelligent entity as it leaves her room when she tells it to.

Have her tell it to leave nicely at first. If this does not work, tell it to leave in the name of thae Lord.

In my opinion, your comment regarding nailing a cross to the door is not such a bad idea.

Have a cross placed near this area as well as in the other rooms of the home, from the sounds of your story, especially in the bed rooms and kitchen.

If this does not work, contact your spiritual advisor. It certainly sounds as if your daughter has enough going on in her life without having to deal with this unwelcome visitor.

Keep us posted!

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
Hi na dthank you for sharring this story with us. I'm very sorry that your daughter is haveing a hadr time right now and to that she has a spirit in her home. There sure seems to be a lot of activity going on in there. I would try blessing the pplace or doing a smudge ceremony. I'm sure other poster will help you out more but it would be a good idea if they moved into your place. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-03)
Hello auhma and thank you for sharing this interesting experience and welcome to YGS. I owned and lived in a duplex for 10 years, renting out the other side. Nothing paranormal ever happened on my side, and I never heard complaints from the tenants on the other side, but over the years I have read very many rental property haunting stories with particular interest on sites like (and including) YGS.

I read enough stories about it now (on both sides of the equation) to piece together a pattern that I know plays itself out over and over everyday across the world. I do not know the exact specifics of your situation, but thought you might find this theory interesting and at least a place to start if you want to find out where this thing may have come from.

RENTAL UNIT HAUNTING CYCLE
1.) Rental family moves into a "clean" rental unit. Someone in rental family (usually a bored teenage girl) begins to dabble in the occult, usually with a Ouija board. The dabbler eventually gets more than they bargained for, a spirit or spirits answer the invitation and set up shop in the space that was used to summon them (sometimes the spirit attaches itself to the person, more often it is the space itself that is targeted). Dabbler and family get creeped out by now haunted rental unit. Rental family moves out.

2.) New rental family moves into now haunted rental unit. New rental family either comes to terms with haunting activity or they too are creeped out. It is much easier to come to terms with a ghost than non-incarnating spirits that are prone to answer a Ouija summons. If the family gets creeped out, they move the first chance they get.

3.) Rinse and repeat.

I would not be at all surprised if this is what is going on here with your daughter's place. If so, the good news is that the problem will go away once she moves, and that the spirits most likely are confined to the duplex itself (they can't or won't follow you home for example). This knowledge should help mitigate your fear, especially when you are in your own home.

If what I explained above is what attracted the spirit (s) that are active in your daughter's place, then know that what is going on is most likely not being done by a ghost (the earthbound soul of a once living human) but rather by an entity that has not and will not incarnate. DeviousAngel mentioned it might be a poltergeist which would be an example of just such a non-incarnating being.

I suggest you use the same steps one would use to clean up a Ouija mess. You can look up my profile by clicking on my name and read about how to understand what these types of spirits can do to you and how to defend yourself. I agree with DeviousAngel, I doubt that the misfortune of loosing the job and car problems are related to the spirit (s).

After hardening your aura, try going to where the activity seems strongest (the attic) and thank the entities for their help but insist that they are no longer welcome and they MUST return to where they came from. Be polite, but be firm and use a loud voice. Do not give into fear. You may have to do this many times, each time weakening them a little more. You should also cleanse the house with a smudging ceremony or something similar that is in line with your religious beliefs.

You can read the story I posted here on YGS if you want to know what a botched Ouija session and subsequent banishment can look like ("Unwelcome Ouija Visitor", also available under my profile).

Be sure to also talk to the landlord. Ask him questions about the past rental history of the unit, ask if others have complained about this type of activity. Ask for his help in making his unit rentable. I would also ask him why the attic is now walled off.

Good luck,

Hoochler
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-03)
I'm sorry that this entity seems hostile to you. I don't think it is, I just think it's a poltergeist that wants attention. As for your daughter losing her job and car, those are very unfortunate things that I'm truly sorry for, but I don't think they're related to the ghost in any way. I just think it was unfortunate things that happened, and possibly could have no matter where she lives. As you experienced, often telling paranormal beings to go away makes them do just that. Perhaps have the place cleansed or blessed, and usually that helps. Sometimes just brightening up the atmosphere with some cheerful colors, music or holiday decorations puts restless spirits at ease.:)

Warmest blessings,

DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: