You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted House

 

This house is a nice ranch style house on a quiet little street in a residential neighborhood. The moment we moved into this house it had a way of 'speaking' to us. The first weekend my mother spent the weekend alone in it. She slept on the living room floor as we had no furniture there yet. She says a clicking in the wall kept her awake. She didn't figure out what it was, but a ticking in the living room wall? She started moving boxes and stuff in that weekend. She was putting away my brother's clothes in his dresser drawer and behind her she heard a violent rattle. She slowly turned around to see his closet door shaking violently by its self.

It was summer and we were new to this neighborhood. My brother and I scoped out the entire house and all its nook and crannies. We came to realize that the house not only had a mind of its own but a bizarre one at that.

My first instinct of the basement was that it reeked. I have no idea of what but it was just putrid. I hated that basement. There was a room in the back underneath my bedroom that just gave me the creeps. We found a boarded off shower in the bathroom in the basement. Curious kittens we were, we pried it apart and found no dead bodies, just living spiders. While we investigated we heard noises upstairs like people talking and walking around. Intruders! We fled up the stairs to catch the culprits. No one? That's odd they must have escaped. So we were investigating other crannies in particular his closet. (Mom never told us about her incident so we had no idea that happened to her until after we moved out.) His closet was a creep hole. It was deep and square with shelving on both sides and it was dark in there. Just plain eerie. We were looking for toys when all of a sudden we both felt eerie. We darted out of that closet as fast as we could neither of us saying why we left so suddenly.

Once in the living room we both mentioned- the creepy closet had its own agenda. There was something in there not human, nor visible to the human eye. And then we heard the voices downstairs. Thinking these intruders came back in the house and crept downstairs we grabbed our toy weapons and proceeded downstairs. We called hello, who is down here? Once we hit the bottom step, silence. We ran all over that basement and found nothing, and that's when the voices were upstairs again. We checked both floors a couple times but the last time we went downstairs we became frozen and did not want to venture back upstairs and discover the unearthly culprits. We hid behind the basement bar until our mother got home. We waited for the first sign of her presence and ran up to greet her with our tale of horror. She looked at us a little funny and then mentioned that she believed us and we better keep the doors and windows locked so no one could kidnap us. I reminded her that it's hard for a ghost to rob someone. At least we thought it was funny at the time.

Moms noticing the back door is open every morning before she leaves for work. She questions us and asks us why we keep opening the door at night. Neither of us have, yet something liked to open that door next to my bedroom across from the basement. Maybe a ghost is going to work earlier then her? Or maybe the ghost is coming home drunk after a long night of wandering the streets? Who knows, the things that were already telling us it was there.

Then strange cars would park across the street and stare at our house. Now we felt like refugees hiding from kidnappers. Here we are peering out the windows wondering why strangers were staring at our home! We were hiding like something was going to get us but perhaps what was to get us was inside.

Strange things kept persisting at that house. At supper time a raunchy smell would envelope the kitchen and linger around for a few moments before leaving as it came. We didn't see any ghost fart but we sure smelt it!

Then objects would start doing their own things. My play phone went off by itself in my bedroom one afternoon while we made dinner. It's like a cell phone the keys have to be punched in to work so something took a liking to that toy and started playing it. I went into my room to find it in a corner untouched but definitely playing. I took the thing apart and as soon as I left the room it still played so needless to say the thing found the garbage!

Our doorbell started ringing on its own accord after the play phone got dumped. It was usually the back door. We'd be in the living room watching TV and the back door bell would ring. The two doors had different rings. The front door had two dings like ding dong you could tell it was that door but the back door had one ring like ding and if someone wanted to get your attention it'd go ding ding ding ding, really annoying.

Well that door was annoying when it rang by itself. But at first we thought it was neighbors running up to the house and running away as fast as they could. It wouldn't be that hard to hide instantly if that were the case so we had a weird house with weird people around. Nothing unusual right?

Fall set in and things changed again in the house on the corner. The heaters were turned on which were run by a water heater in the basement. That thing fired up and made a gurgling noise so you knew when it'd start blowing some heat. It never blew out heat like electric heaters do but when the heat was on; the vents would gurgle and pour out its heat. The heaters went as far as making rattling sounds that we thought were defected so the landlord was called over and found nothing wrong with them just stating they are old and such. The heaters were took apart and the dumb things still rattled! I was isolated on my side of the house so my mother and my brother got their share of that side of the house. I had my own on my end.

One night I heard a girl's voice in my closet. I have no idea what the heck she said but she made it clear she was hanging around in my room. That was the start of another aura.

My brother started having nightmares or something. He claimed he couldn't sleep in his room. Something was keeping him awake in there. Yes and the voices in my room are keeping me up too! Things were not looking pretty for the trio on the corner.

Then came the burning sensation smell. It was everywhere in the house. I kept telling them that something was burning somewhere in the house. It smelled like burnt rubber and it would not leave! We checked the house everywhere and nothing could contribute to the source.

As the weather got even colder the attitudes and demeanor of the family changed too. Some nights the house would 'talk'. On these particular nights it'd take turns on us.

Other oddities were things missing that would turn up in mysterious places. The non stop door bell that we discovered wasn't a prankster because in the middle of winter we would've seen footprints in the snow in which there wasn't! We knew our house was haunted but failed to recognize how bad.

In early spring the house was set to burn down by a mischievous prankster. At the same instance my mother saw a black hooded figure grimace at her on the corner before she entered the house and discovered the disaster. Luckily not much was damaged.

That was the first year. And it's just getting started. There is more and it only goes deeper.

Other hauntings by NightGhost

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NightGhost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NightGhost (10 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-26)
I like the beginning of this story and I like the end. The beginning was new and the end was sad. I learned a lot from this experience. Had I not lived through it I'd never know the power of God. He is truly a work of good and evil, your best friend or worst nightmare. I was very young when I experienced true mortality.
cjsemple99 (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-10)
I will explain some more in the next story. Call TAPS and they will investigate.
NightGhost (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-08)
I wish I could find "A Haunting" series to watch Dark Force. I seen some and they reminded me of my experience.
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
your story reminds me a lot of the bill bean haunting. He wrote a book called Dark Force and the story was also on the tv show " A haunting"
SpiritMagnet (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Glad you are all safe and away from that place. Negativity is vengeful on those who are not. 😉
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Very good story! And a strange one as well! I'm looking forward to reading your other installments!
NightGhost (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
I love the comments everyone but I'm not giving away any details until I finish. I have to wait until the posting opens up again that's what's taking the time. I'll answer all the questions when I get it finished. Stay tuned!
cokey (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
if it's getting worse every single day, then why don't you guys leave the house?
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
such a big story I did not post my comment because I know that your sequence is shortly going to release then what's more to impress the readers. Really good one to read. My self iam imagining your position.
Scaryboy
indie_aspen (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Interesting story!
It was a pleasure to read and I always enjoy your postings.
NightGhost (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Ah ha my friends I can't tell you the rest until you read the last section, lol. Of course we are out of there, we'd be dead if we weren't. Well that's what we tend to think anyway.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hello Nightghost,
Very well written, nice words you used and the story itself was wow!, as Logan says, please before anything, let us know that you are out of that place and everyone in your family is in good health now! 😭,
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Sounds as if there are (where?) some very powerful forces at work. As I read this, I think there may have been both ligh and dark 'entities' at work in the house, with you and your family caught in the middle.

God Bless!
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Although I am interested in reading more on this, please do tell me you have moved out of that place!

Regards & Prayers,
Logan
NightGhost (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hi readers, this was part one to a 3 year experience in this house. Of course I have more! I'm trying to keep it in order for each year so it doesn't get confusing. So now I'm on to part 2!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
Whoa that awfully sound like that house have their own evil way and scare you and your mom and brother in that house, Glad we don't have basement here in louisiana.
ZaneBrain (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
this story was very good. It sounds like the house wanted you to move out back to your old house. Will you write another story soon? 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: