You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Cry Baby Bridge

Real Ghost Stories

Cry Baby Bridge

 

This is for those who often wonder if some of the things experienced can ever be explained away. Almost everyone has heard the tell of "Cry baby bridge", heck almost every state and some cities has one. Well here is the story of the one that happened in my home town. Location will not be given to preserve the privacy of the people who live around the area. It is said that a young unmarried lady had given birth to her lovers child and when she presented the child to him, he turned them both away wanting nothing more to do with the mother or child. The young lady being distraught and not able to turn to her family for help, it was a time when it was considered shameful to have a baby out of wedlock. So she decided to jump from a bridge with her baby, they supposedly drown and were never seen again. They say that if you are on the bridge on moonless nights, you can hear the baby crying and see the mother as a white light walking up the shore line of the river searching for her baby.

I decided to investigate this story and see or hear for myself if this was a true haunting or if it was just another urban legend. A friend and myself arrived at the bridge around 11 pm and we sat and listened to the wind and the river, at first nothing and then we heard what did sound like a baby crying. We also saw what appeared to be a white light moving up the shore line and then disappearing at almost the same time as the baby stopped crying. We did a little further investigation and found the causes for both the light and the crying. The crying was the sound of peacocks from a nearby residents and the light was the reflection of headlights off a piece of metal near the river bank from car(s) on a nearby road. It would seem that the lights from the approaching cars would disturb the peacocks causing them to cry out, which while on the bridge would almost sound like a baby crying. Once the car(s) passed the peacocks would be quite and the white light would disappear.

Other hauntings by Shane

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-24)
I know this is real late but I just joined I saw the comment on Doylestown The haunted town is called Rogues Hollow. It is a old mining town It has many ghost stories about lots of murders happened there. I started reading about it's legends in the haunted ohio books Yes we went there looking for ghosts when I was younger
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
There was a Crybaby Bridge in my small western Ohio "town".

The bridge was in the middle of no where and my friends and I would go out there during the summer armed with camcorders to try and catch it.

We started hearing cries but we debunked them. There are really really tall and very very thin trees all around that bridge. If the breeze hits them and causes them to bend and sway. The bending makes the trees creak very high pitched and it sounds just like a baby crying.
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Ive heard of princessLotus's Bridge in Kangaroo Flats and when I can aim to visit it.

Might even try find out some explination for why and what is going on there the door is just weird but interesting worth finding out.

Regards,
~Shadead.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
When I was visiting my ex in Kangaroo Flats there is this bridge by his mums house & there's a door spray painted on it & we would knock on it & ask if the kids were there. I don't know why. There were a couple bridges though & some old ones. We didn't have a car so we always walked every where or rode the bus. But at night we would hear babies cry & I kind of remember him telling me some story but I was pretty waisted on Burgy & cola. LOL! But I wonder if they are all over Australia? Kangaroo Flats is near Victoria. Strange. Bless you & yours. MCL.
~LSD~
Ch3L534 (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
yeah I live in new jersey but we have cry baby tree the story is similar but different, you can read about this in the book weird N.J.Though we do have kill your self bridge again you can read about it in the book I mentiond
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
To Darkness,

I will email you soon with details and such and hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

~Shadead.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Shadead: If you find more info about these bridges in Australia I would love to hear more about them.

Cheers.

Dan
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Well done on the debunk, Supossedly there are bridges in Australia that are similiar or you hear screaming ect some noise, Havent investigated but would be worth while.

Well done again.

~Shadead.
Jamey1976 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
These are evps from the crybaby bridge in Chillicothe Ohio.

Http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZO9W4Y4E
Http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5JXMSCVN
Http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OHIOVCKF

The first has an evp at nineteen seconds. Then, it has one at 25:56.
The second one has the baby crying at about 27 seconds

The third has barely audible vocalizations until 1:28, where you hear a female voice making a pleasurable sigh (sorry, that's the only way I can describe it).
Keep in mind I'm a guy, and I was completly alone out there, so these voices had no business being there. Weird.
Love_in_the_Darkness (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
Ah! That is hilarious! I went to my cousin's soccer game in Doylestown, Ohio once. Many people probably have heard of Doylestown, Ohio, as it is Ohio's haunted city or whatever. Anyway, Doylestown has its own Cry Baby Bridge. My cousin (who was 17 at the time) took us to all the haunted places in Doylestown as the soccer game was beginning to bore us. So my cousin to us first to Doylestown's Billy Goat Hill and he said that if you came on a dark night, at midnight you would see the ghost of a kid that fell down the hill. Then he took us to Doylestown's Cry Baby Bridge. He said that if you came on Haloween night, at midnight you would hear a crying baby. Then he took us to the Ghost Train Tracks where a ghost train goes down the tracks and the gates close and the lights flash, but you won't see the train, and you have to sit there for up to 20 minutes. He told us he had experienced all of them. For a month (maybe longer) my little brother would come into my room crying. He was so scared from Cry Baby Bridge and he still freaks out if you mention it. Its hilarious. (yes I know that's mean) Were you talking about Doylestown? If so I'd love to tell my cousin and brother.
QueenTas (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-17)
Hey Shane, I haven't been on in a long time, but I was wondering if you know any website where I can look up the history of my house like who lived here/who died here?

Any help would be great.
My e-mail address is posted on my page, thanks
Trish
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
That's great! This is going in my favorites. It always pays to look for earthly explanations before labeling something a haunting.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Thanks for the comment chuzwuzum. Seems like every town here in the states has one, I would be willing to bet that even there in Australia there is at least one or two. Keep us posted if you do find one.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
chuzwuzum (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
hey shane. Very good story I'm just a little bummed you have uncovered the mystery of 'crybaby bridge' but well investigated. Still it is a good urban legend. Not too sure if we have any crybaby bridges in australia but I will look into it and let you know.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
I bet I have heard the tell told a hundred different ways. Of course with a couple more being added from you BTBW. Any way we were able to debunk the one in my home town, but there are others still out there that may have some truth to them. Thanks for the comment.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
BornToBeWiccan (4 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
loved the story I love urban legends we don't have a story liek that in our town actually I have never heared the story told like that I have heared the womens husband was off in war and died one night some men came to get her and her baby so she ran to the near bridge and hid her baby under there while she ran they caught her and killed her and her baby drowned now if you park on the bridge and turn off your light you can hear the baby cry and the women appears looking for her baby I have also heared cariations including a little girl who fell off the bridge and all they found of her was her braclette well a man was at the bridge one night lookign for another legend which was something about treasure the girl appeared and was close almost touching with her hand strenched out then man ran he started asking about the girl and he went back one night thinking maybe shes looking for her braclette well he started lookign around and in the water was a shimmering thing he pulled it out it was the braclette the girl appeared he gave it to her... Another one involved treasure and a women who was murdered because something with the treasure if you park on the bridge turn off your car lights get out of the car she will appear to you and show you the way to the loot lol
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
No problem OGH, maybe do a little more investigation on your crybaby bridge and see if you can find a rational explaination for what is causing it. Remember if you eliminate the possible all you have left is the impossible and then you can state for a fact that it is a true haunting. Take care and happy haunting, I mean hunting. LOL

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Ohio_Ghost_Hunter (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
thanks for the post on my story Crybaby Bridge in Salem Ohio... I always knew it was a urban legend, but had to see for myself, you know... Anyways that's when I captured that apparition on my camera... Good job on debunking the story though
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-03)
That was a great story. It sounds like the debunking was as much fun as the investigation.

thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
Shenny (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-09-28)
I'm sorry to hear about the lady and the baby, but it's really cool the way you guys found out what was causing it!

Take care and Godbless,
Shenny.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-09-27)
I think its a sad story about the lady and her baby. Thanks for sharing your story. Its interesting. 😐
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-14)
Thank you all for your comments they are much appreciated. Dee your version of the cry baby bridge is also quite interesting. Glad you didn't fall for it. Bossymiss, sometimes the things you fear the most are really the things to fear the least and vise versa.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-07)
wow I wouldent like to see that on a night but its not scary in a way but not something that I would find realy scary I think its interesting 😕
dee_taylor_85 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-05)
I just read this story and I have to say that I found it rather amusing. I live in a small town in Illinois and we have our own Cry Baby Brigde. I don't even know how it became this urban legend but it did. Its an old bridge out in the country that has become unlevel. That's why if you put your car in neutral it will roll forward or backward. Its surrounded by trees and it can be very creepy at night but for most of the year its just a place for the local kids to mess around and be kids. However, around Halloween people come from all over to see this bridge. I mean as far away as six or seven hours. They come into my work asking where it is and I can't help but laugh. But people are seldom disappointed with their trip. Their cars do roll due to the uneveness and there are usually kids out in the woods trying to scare the tourists by making noises and shining lights. Lol
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-01)
Oh, Shane, Shane! I was going to say 'I can't believe you bought into that' but thanks for clearing up your mystery before you admitted to believing in this tale of woe! I still have faith in you!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
Interesting twist to the story V.G., I had never heard that one. I do know that it seems almost every state has a cry baby bridge story, my state just seems to have one in about every city. LOL Thank you for commenting on my story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
VolatileGuitarist (5 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
When I used to live in the Carolinas my sisters told me of something similar. Except when you speak out "I've got your baby" you would have been able to hear a baby cry.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
slghosts, thank you for reading and posting to my story. There are many cry baby bridges not only through out Ohio, but a few other states from what I have been able to learn. Please do check the ones closest to you out and let us know what you discover. Remember to keep your investigation unbiased, go in with the mind set that what ever you experience may have an everyday cause. If you can't explain it away in that fashion then more than likely its paranormal.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
slghosts (13 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-16)
That was a really get thery bout that white lady and the crying baby! I live near that bridge and maybe we can go and see it to cause I have never been down there at night alone during the day which is no fun so next time I get free time me and my sister will go vistie it and see what happens but I really like your thery with the peacock and the headlight! But that was a really good story I have always believed in that story but I want to it happen in real life not just by any story!
Carlywhoaness (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-25)
Good job with telling the story of Cry Baby Bridge. I live a good few hours from one of Ohios many Cry baby Bridges, but I have yet to see it. My brother checked out the one closest to us, and got freaked. The Cry baby bridge around here is not located near a peacock farm though. I have no clue why it makes such noises.

I heard the legend of Cry baby Bridge ever since I was little though, and almost every person I talk to that I have met in different parts of Ohio have heard of the Cry baby bridge.

You did a nice job with telling the story though. =] Sounds just like how my friends used to say it when we sat around the fire at family parties.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: