You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Preparing Our Way

Real Ghost Stories

Preparing Our Way

 

This story was told to me by my best friend's wife upon his passing several years ago. First, let me give you a little background about my friend. He was in a wheel chair and had been ever since an accident with a train as a teenager. He had lost both of his legs up to his hips and was told almost every year that he only had 6 months to live.

He fooled them all, he went on to live another 30+ years. He lived life to the fullest each and every day, never letting anything get him down. Unfortunately, he developed complications later on in his life and his health slowly began turning for the worse. He was always in the hospital and hated every minute of it. I would often visit him and it seemed to brighten his day. If any of his closest friends visited, it was a pick me up for him.

As he got worse, he told his wife he didn't want to die in a hospital, he wanted to die at home. She agreed, even though she wasn't really ready for what was about to happen. I visited him several times, but I just could bear to see him in that state and felt guilty about not doing more with him while he was healthy. Shortly after bringing him home, his wife noticed he would be talking to someone. When asked, he would say he was talking to his mother or an Aunt or Uncle who had already passed before him. That they were there to help him move. His wife thought this was because of the illness or the medicines he was taking. But he insisted that it was his family and friends he was seeing and talking to. I think he thought she could see them too.

She decided to start taking photos when he was talking to these relatives and friends and the images that appeared where breath taking. I only wish I had them to share with the site. The orbs, mist, and streaks she captured over him and around him were not able to be explained. It wasn't dust or any of the normal causes for the orbs as he was in a sanitized room due to the infections he was prone to at the time. I think it was his family and friends coming to show him the way home.

After his passing, the guilt I felt for not spending more time with him was tremendous. But his wife came to me one day and said she had talked to him or rather he had talked to her and that I shouldn't feel guilty as we would see each other again and we would do those things we had planned to do.

Other hauntings by Shane

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shane, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Shane,

Yours is the kind of story. I have an intense interest in. As I have had or have close personal knowledge of these kinds of experiences.

I had a great aunt that was completely bed ridden in the last stage of cancer. She had been bed ridden for several months. In the early morning hours of the day before she died. Her daughter heard someone up walking through the house. Which frightened her as only she and my cancer bed-ridden mom were the only ones in the house. The daughter said that as she coming down the hall way. She heard her mother start talking. She hurried into the living room, turning on the light. No one but her mother was in the living room. Whom was still talking to an unseen person. She asked her mother who she was talking too. Her mother, Your dad and Roscoe. I should say here that the dad and Roscoe were deceased, and for several years.

Upon my older brother's death. As my mother, my brother's son and myself. Were gathered around my brother's bed crying (over our failed efforts at CPR) and in disbelief he was gone. My dad who was in the front room. Heard someone coming out of my brother's bedroom and walking down the hall. All though there was no one there to the eye. Dad also heard them sit down in a chair beside of him and let out in an exhale. Dad said he didn't know what to do but sit and watch the chair. Until he said he finally saw like a bluish smoke seem appear and then disappear. This is not something my dad easily talks about. Since it was his son. Nor is my dad much of one to really discuss things like this.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Before I forget and the day is done, I wish Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I know not all participate in this American holiday and wish no offense to anyone. Blessed be, God bless, live long and prosper, and the hundreds of other well wishes to all.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
Thanks Shelby! I too wish I had those photos, I haven't really thought about them for years. I did just now remember that in one of the photos was an antique silver brush set. One that only appeared in the picture as it wasn't on the dresser. His wife told me that his mother use to own one just like it. Why it was in the picture with him I can only guess. Maybe when I go visit her I will see if she will let me copy them.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
That was a really sweet and comforting story. I really enjoyed reading this one. It's really nice to know that friends and family come for you in your final hours to take you to the other side. That would have been really awesome to be able to see those pictures but I know that they are not yours and you don't have them. I used to have this picture with my ex-husband in it of him with the fish he caught that day and there was a distinct male figure of an older man with a handle bar mustache right next to him. I gave him the picture years ago and now I'm trying to get it so I can scan and submit it on here for you guys. There is no mistaking the ghost in this picture. It is UNBELIEVABLE! I gasped when I saw it! Anyway, thanks for sharing your lovely story. ~Shelby ❤
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-09-28)
aww This was a lovely story. I wonder what its like when we pass away we will never no until the day. On that day I will be scared. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Shenny (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-09-28)
Once Again, I have to say, your stories rock! :P I read most of your stories over and over!

Take care and Godbless,
Shenny.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
Athena, glad I could be of some help to you. I take it that all is well and you are no longer being bothered. If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
Shane! First I want to thank you for leaving a very important response to my experience "Shauneta". I want to tell you that I included your experience as one of my favs! WOW!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
Thank you Jping for your comment on my story. Sorry it took so long to respond. One would think I didn't read respones to my own stories.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
JPing (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-06)
That's quite a happy story. Ghosts providing comfort instead of just being typical ghosts. Thanks for posting.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-04)
Well I guess I will have to leave a note for JW and Brittany to join the site and become full fledged members. Membership has it's rewards. Sorry no cash back or membership points here, all in knowing your good name can never be used for malicious post.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
:P Yeah, Yeah, you'll be here one day my dear. LOL the old timers diease strikes without warning. Now what was I talking about. LOL, oh yeah. I was just going back through some of the old comments and it would seem I feel under attack several times from some of the less reputable guest posters. Either you, Martin or Brittany defending me. Even my engima wrapped in a riddle defended me, JW. I knew there was something I liked about that boy. I guess like you said some people feel deflated and feel attacking someone on the net is going to make them feel better.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
EarthboundAngel (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Shane,
No problem. I think Brock's ego was feeling deflated, and thought he could attack (not attack... Umm... Confront?) someone through the Internet to make himself feel better.

It's okay... Getting old does that to ya! =P
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Sorry that should have been the story two chances. I think I would lose my head sometimes if it wasn't attached properly.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Oh I know what you mean earthbound, and by the way I never did thank you and Martin for standing up for me in the Post section of the story Second Chance. I never even saw that reply from the Brock character. Maybe JW was right and I P'd them off from their story. Thanks a million though. If I do make it up that way a beer sounds good to me. I have a buddy that lives in Tomah could make it a road trip to stop up and see him also.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
EarthboundAngel (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Shane,
Sometimes, to look for the paranormal, you have to start at home. Waverly Hills? Ooh, I saw that place on Ghost Hunters, they had a few experiences there. I want to go there so bad. Someday!

Wisconsin is known for haunted places, so come on over! We can get some Point beer (or root beer if you don't drink), hahaha.

For now, I think disabling (can't spell at the moment) anonymous comments is best. It's sad that it had to come to that, though.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
No unfortunetly nothing new to report here. Hopefully once I get back to the states I can get out and do some investigations on some of the places I have always wanted to see. Like Waverly Hills and Mansfield prison. Both are suppose to be highly haunted. If I ever make it up Wisconsin way again I will have to get with you and you can show me some of the haunted areas up there. Martin it is sad that you had to do that, but hey I understand completely, immature and rude comments are nither funny nor called for. Its going to get to the point you had mentioned earlier where they are going to have to join to post or not post. What else can you do. I am sure you have more important things to do than delete rude comments all day.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Hi guys, quick post here (sorry, new StarGate episode playing on TV and I'm a regular), but due to an increase of immature posts we are getting from guest users, I've disabled anonymous posting for the time being. You can read the announcement on the frontpage.

Resume scaring each others off ;)
EarthboundAngel (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Hey Shane,
Good evening from central Wisconsin! Wow, that sounded corny... Yeah, I quickly realized Martin's work was underway after I posted another comment from a different story. *shrugs* Oh, well!

Nothing new in the paranormal world as of late... My friends from Minnesota are coming tonight for the weekend, so maybe something will happen! =) One of my friends has a lot of experiences, so who knows? Heh.

How about you?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-03)
Good morning/Evening EarthboundAngel. Morning where I am anyway. Long time no see. I wouldn't bother with responding to those repulsive post as Martin will take care of them as soon as he sees them. Any thing new from your end of the paranormal spectrum. Seen anything new or exciting?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-02)
I am sorry to hear about your husbands lose. I don't look at it as losing some one as much as I do waiting to see them again. For I feel they never really leave us as long as they are in our thoughts and our hearts.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
kristy38 (5 stories) (52 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-02)
i realy injoyed reading this thanks so much for telling us. Yea we all do have guilt when we lose a friend or family. We just lost my husband stepdad this year.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-01)
Brittany, my favorite wiccan you still here dear? Have a couple of questions for ya.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-26)
I think she will be back, I don't think she would have taken any offense to you and I, especially about the email deal. Just have to wait and see I guess. I know she will love the addition to the comments section you created. I have seen a few others on here that also seem to offer experienced and level headed advise. I think some of them would make really good investigators with the right training. Plus I love the fact that this site has drawn in different people of different faiths and beliefs.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-04-26)
I don't know Shane, she just stopped coming, I think she's very secretive and maybe got annoyed when we pushed her to register and give us her email, etc. That or the less paranoid possibility that she has real life stuff like vacations, work overload, etc, going around. Too bad though since I was excited to show her the new "expectations from the author toward comments" feature.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-26)
Hey Martin, what ever happened to our dear friend Athena? I haven't see a post from her here in a long time. Hope she is okay.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-25)
Most assuredly I did Casey. I enjoyed spending time with him as much as he did with me. We became friends from the moment we meet and no one or nothing could change that. I no longer feel that guilt as I know that he and I will do what we had planned when we meet again on the other side.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Casey (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-25)
Shane, sometimes when you feel guilty for not being able to do something for another, you don't realize that they understand that and are thankful for every minute that you DO spend with them. I also think that when a person knows taht life is coming to a fast close, they never think about the things that hurt them in life; they only think about the things taht made life so good. I'm sure you had a big part of the pros of your friend's life.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-24)
I have no doubt about that Earthbound. I would like to think we all have family and friends that come to us in our time of passing to show us the way to the light. For you know for some this can be a very lonely time as they have no one here on this plane of existence to be there with them, I would like to believe that what they are lacking on this side they are more than making up for on the other.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
EarthboundAngel (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-24)
Wow... That's a great story, Shane. Guilt is heavy on everyone close to the departed and it's nice to know that they're not upset with us, and don't want us to be upset in return. And you'll see him again on the other side. =)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: