You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: An Elf Tale

Real Ghost Stories

An Elf Tale

 

From what I can remember it was never a scary house. From the outside it looked normal enough, a little one storey with a well manicured lawn, fenced in backyard and garage. It was owned by my mother's friend, who I lovingly called my Aunt. As far as bad experiences go, I have none to recall prior to the day my Aunt moved from the house. That day however, is a different story.

My Aunt and her husband had been on the rocks for awhile and I assume much heartbreak and harsh words had gone down within the house during their stay there. Maybe that attracted the spirit, I will never know. I don't recall much about the day my Aunt and mother packed up the house but I do remember being asked to go into the spare bedroom and retrieve some blankets. Now, the spare bedroom was a little secluded room in the front of the house that was accessible only by going down a hallway that also doubled as the laundry room. The washer and dryer sat in a closet and above them was a little door to the attic. When I say door, it wasn't so much a door but more a piece of wood that sat on top a square hole that opened up into the attic. I was far too little to reach this "door" even if I was to stand on top the washer and reach with my arms outstretched, it was impossible. You must remember that on this day it was only me, my mother, and my aunt who were at the house, so imagine my surprise when I walked past the laundry to find the closet doors had been opened with the attic door ajar and light on. I had been in and out of the house all day and knew that not one person had been into the attic (my mother detests attics and my aunt won't be caught dead climbing up into one) so I found this all to be a little strange. I continued on my way to the room where I gathered the blankets and then headed back into the hallway. As I was leaving I looked up into the open attic, and there appeared a man.

To this day his appearance has always baffled me, for he was not so much a man but an elf-like creature. He wore his hair long and over it was a pointed hat. His clothes were tattered and I can remember them being green. His skin was brown and his eyes black. He was small, I don't want to say a midget for I mean to offend no one, and so for the sake of being politically correct I will just say that he was no taller than 3 feet. He was not a lean creature and was actually quite round about the middle. He sat hunched over the square opening of the attic looking down at me with a malicious grin. I froze.

"Come here, little girl" said he. To which I did not respond.

"Little girl, come up here" he said again. His voice I remember was a harsh one, high pitched but at the same time deep and threatening. Even as a child I knew that what I was seeing was not human, and it was not good. I stood there in a sort of paralyzed state staring at this thing in the attic for what seemed an eternity while he again and again repeated "come here, little girl", "come up here, little girl". Then, as if my brain was finally able to get through to my feet, I ran. I believe I would have run through a wall of line backers to get out of that house. I could hear him laughing as I took off, a dangerous laugh, one that to this day will raise the hairs on my arms and neck.

Immediately I told my mother and aunt what I had experienced and they just as immediately wrote me off as having an over active imagination. After much pleading I got them into the hallway, where low and behold, the attic door was open and light still on, the little man I had described to my mother and aunt had vanished. It was obvious that I was not the one to of done this being that I was not of the right height to even reach the door, let alone the light inside which hung another three feet above the opening. Needless to say, the packing was left unfinished and the three of us promptly left the house with a phone call to my aunts ex informing him he could finish emptying the house himself.

Whether my mother and aunt believed my story, or thought that a crazy person had taken residence in the attic, I don't know. I was never, and to this day am not the type to make up wild stories. I am a much grounded person, but I know that what I encountered that day was a spirit, demon, or ghost and it was evil, very evil. Why it had never showed itself until then I can't say, but it came to me and has been a part of my memory ever since. It was my first and only experience with actually seeing an entity. I still get feelings of being watched and I can always sense when I am not alone but have never again seen anything.

If anyone has had an experience with these elf-like creatures I would like to know about it. I alone can't be the only one in this vast world that has had an encounter with one of these "guys". I hope you enjoyed my recollection of this eerie day in my life and are excited to see if any of you out there share the same experiences!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AlexB24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pink496 (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-21)
I know I am late to the party lol😊
This is a very interesting experince I enjoyed reading this. It is a well written experience thank you for sharing! I wish you all the best -pink496
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-31)
Roy,

The old Europeans separated these kinds of creatures into a lot of different catagories, usually based on where they live. Trolls live underground, gnomes live near people's houses (I think?) and are sometimes called Brownies. Fairies live in the air or deep in nature maybe, or in the other world.

Gnomes tend to be helpful towards people (in olden days anyway), fairies tend to be tricky and steal people away, etc. Banshees are spirits connected to one particular family, and their primary concern is to alert the family prior to a relative's death. They have to scream mighty loud so everyone in the family can hear them!

This thing, traditionally speaking, if it's in or by the house would probably be of the gnome variety, but who really knows?
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-01)
So as said good stories would be active again with a little rest.
This is the first time I read this story! Is an elf different than a gnome?
I have heard stories of people encountering what I think they called it a Banshee, the ghoulish screamer, stunning, very eerie scary and evil. I wonder if it is somewhat similar. Cheers!

Blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
SpookyCat_ (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-01)
This story really creeped me out! I can imagine the voice and it sends chills down my spine! I wonder why he wanted you to go to there? What would have happened to you
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-27)
These accounts are wild! And so many... The account's creature matches the old accounts of green clothes, and residing in hideaway places, like the attic.

Seems like they're always trying to lure people away, for what purpose though? So scary! Although the folks who are blessed with babies after a good encounter is neat.

I had a weird 'dream' too - dreamed I sat up in bed and hundreds of little elves in boots and pointed hats came out of the little door to the attic (my side) and danced around my bed, poking me with needles and singing. Yelled for my sister, saw she was sitting up staring at me and the elves.

Brushed it off as one of those weird things, except the minute my sister woke up the next morning she recounted her 'dream' and described the exact same 'dream' I had, elves dancing around my bed and me sitting up screaming.

I stopped telling her leprechauns would come for her at night if she didn't sleep, since apparently they DID. Still wonder what that was all about. That weirdness never repeated though, thank goodness.

You account sounds upsetting, maybe that was the intention, maybe it appeared to cause confusion and ill will in the house. Might have been there long before the house was even built, was ticked off, so destroyed any happiness (like a marriage or a child's innocence) it came across.
alexandrapr369 (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
I made this account like 3 months ago just to reply to this story because I had a nightmare about this the very day I made the account. In between not remembering the story name and having a hard time deciding if it was worth sharing or not I never found the right words to reply until now. Sorry for the lengthy comment ahead.

I've known this site for quite a while but only visit it occasionally when there's nothing left to do (that's why I never had an account). This story is one I may have read at least twice in the past maybe because I find it believable and scary on the different outcomes this could have take. Never the less this story is not something that I'm thinking about every day of my life, is now stored in the back of my head. I found it super random that I had a nightmare about the elf-like creature in this story.

In the dream my husband and I were looking apartments to move out (sill looking 😭), an agent was showing us one that awfully looked (perhaps it was 😆) the same one we're living in now. I go ahead and check the bathroom, is all the same except the wall has an opening like the 'door' you describe here; like a vertical version maybe? As soon as I notice this oddity I also notice the creature just poking out a little bit. He would be the same description as in here except I was almost looking at a silhouette, since everything got darker at that point in my dream.

Everything was like a cheap jump scare in a movie, once I see him I wake up but it was not the last time I would see at least his figure. When I woke up with a jump the first thing I do is turn to face my husband which was happily sleeping in his stomach. His long hair was covering his head and face only his quite long ears poking out making him look exactly like the silhouette I just saw in dreamland. All this happened too fast I thought I was seeing an apparition of the aforementioned elf so I screamed and pushed my poor husband. Of course he woke up very startled as well...

Never in my life I had woken up screaming and kicking but this image made it (I guess that I was still seeing the image in real life was a factor) and I had way more worse nightmares than this. But believe me this dream and now this story are things that I will never forget; I even bought a dreamcatcher after this.
LunarSage (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Elves, or Fae, are of many varieties. Some are evil, and do harm to others as they see fit. From what you said it wasn't patient or kind. Though it sounded similar to a Sidhe. Tall, some what beautiful, and can be frightening. Most are not bad although it is possible, as in all things there are bad eggs so to speak. If you see it again I recommend you move slowly away and don't engage in conversation as some Fae can almost mesmerize or hypnotize with their voice. Best of luck to you.
luisma (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
To add to what Dard said: the same thing happened to me before I had my daughter...
Dard (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-05)
I found this story very interesting and it brought back old memories. Back in the early seventies, my wife and I lived in Germany while I was in the Army. We rented a small basement apartment owned by a German named Wolfgang. Each day I would go into Base to work and leave my wife home alone in the apartment. Wolfgang also used part of the basement for storage and had many boxes and even a piano stored there. On day when I came home my wife seemed visibility upset. Later she told me of seeing a "small" person inside our apartment that day. I don't remember all the details now for that has been so many years ago but it was very perplexing for us. Not long after that we found out my wife was pregnant and we went on to have a beautiful daughter. The weird thing is that my wife was told repeatedly she would never be able to have children... We only had this one even though we tried very hard to get pregnant again. In later years another member of our family mentioned to us in passing about the "small" person she seen only to find out that soon after the "vision" appeared she found out she was also pregnant. Is this a freak happening that 2 people I know had "small" people appear before them only to find they were with child... If any one else has had a similar, I sure would like to hear about it...
bluefoxx01 (81 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
I read this same story about 6 months ago, I PRETTY sure its been resubmitted. I think the title was different though... GRRRR ITS PATHETIC!
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
Can there be good gnomes or elves? I saw a similar thing yesterday... But it shape shifted from a small goblin into a tree, something about a tree it wanted to convey. It didn't beckon me to come with it, it handed me "golden" coins instead and soon after that I saw another spirit, my animal spirit guide who is a cat transform into a ghostly woman... Sitting on my bed, handing me golden coins as well.

What could that mean? A bribery LOL... I think they were messengers, not necessarily there to harm me. It is the first time I saw my "animal guide" so clearly.

Yes the gnome was a small chubby man... And I am 23 years old, so they don't just appear to children.

I am puzzled by this and cried after it happened... Although I am very spiritual, I was very taken off guard by this experience.

Nothing hurt me thank goodness, and the apparitions soon disappeared.

But I do believe that maybe my other Guardian could have shape shifted into this "image" or whatever along with the cat, to convey a message. I don't believe it was all evil.
DarkMan (5 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
I agree with everyone who keeps suggesting it was more like a dark gnome. You called it an "Elf" due to the ears, right? I believe gnomes (or "duendes") are also known for having pointy ears as well (also referred to as "elves," in Spanish, because of it.)

I'm glad you followed your instincts and didn't proceed... It gives me chills to imagine what would have happened...

For some reason, I've been stumbling upon a lot of "dark gnome" tales. And they're usually from people who describe them all identically but have no idea what they are.

So no, you're not alone. But I have to wonder...what's up with that? And if it is a darker entity in the guise of a gnome... What's with the choice?

Thanks for sharing this experience. Best wishes.
PuzzledPanther (4 posts)
+4
14 years ago (2010-03-24)
Awesome story, though I'm sorry you had to experience such a traumatizing event as a child! Whatever you saw, it sounds like some sort of mischievous or malevolent faerie, like a goblin or troll. I was told of a story about 8 years back by this strange girl that I hung out with once, whom I met online. Anyhow, she swore to high heaven that she saw a little man, maybe 6 inches tall climb out of a vent in the floor of a house she lived in when she was little. She said he skittered across the floor, had a little white beard and hat, and said the word "guitar" in a squeeky playful voice, more like "GEeetar!" She said there was a guitar perched up against the wall near the vent he ascended from. Obviously this creature was most likely nonthreatening, but who know really?
Boldylocks (13 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
It does sound like this being was either a gnome who chose the dark side (They call those in the Faerykind who choose the dark side "Unseelie")

Or it could have been a demon appearing in the form of an gnome. Demons are very good at imitation.
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-01-24)
Hi.this story just gives me the chills being hispanic and born in a small sort of remote place in Mexico in the Sierra gorda which is sort of a bast wilderness Where I spent 10 years of my life We as chilren were very aquainted with this type of stories and belief in what we call "Duende" which I guess is what they usualy call A nome sort of like creature that lured children into the woods, From all the strange things that happened to me,&all the stories I heard It never happened to me but there where accounts of children missing just to end up in the middle of nowhere, people gathering to look for them, Two of my uncles, My great uncle (May he rest in peace) was almost lured by one of them he said he wanted to play with him and keept taking him deeper into the woods until he actualy got smart to run away back home before he got to far, They say they were necked and looked like children about 3ft also. My other uncles whos about 32 now Says when he was about 14 going home one evening said he saw a small creature like a necked child run down a path that devided my granpas house and my other uncle's house which had a fence about 51/2ft tall as soon as he saw him and actually jumped over the fence twice his size with no effort in the blink of an eye and dissapeared back into the woods. About 15 years later my little cousin visiting from the U.S with my aunt (the place was only inhabited by my Great granfather at the time) Its said to have been following the behind while they walked around the property near some bushes when he suddently screamed at the top of his lungs My aunt &the other ofcourse ran to see what had happened he was really scared because he said he had seen a "Chango" or monkey witch is the correct translation but we usually call chango anything ugly & scary or when we might be reffering to "You know who".Well they didn't see anything but I'm sure tony would never go back there again.I'm glad I no longer live there, our house was at the foot of a hill next to the wilderness. Your story reminded me of those things... I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience may God bless you.

Thanks for the Story. ❤
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
I talked to my husband about this haunting and he said it could have been a Lilaputian. They are small like that too. They tend to live in wooded areas though, and they live a very long time compared to people. They are also quite aggressive and usually mean.
AlexB24 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-14)
Thank you all for your feedback!

ChildOfTheLotus - I appreciate the information you shared, it is very helpful.

Jerryhend1 - You may be right, I didn't notice, nor do I recall any smell or heat. Good thinking!

And to the rest, I love your comments, keep them coming!
babiestastegood (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-14)
Your description reminds me of the monster in the old Leprechuan movies. Maybe this was some type of boggart or something if you believe in stuff like that?
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-13)
You did the right thing, when one gets the feeling of fear, dread ect, that should send up a red flag, the ringing bell, wrong, wrong, wrong...
I would say it was not an elf or earth spirit, from what you said, I think it was just a bad, mean and or evil human, it really had no power and you did not say you smelled anything or heat that comes with a demons, I would say it was just a mean human...
FATMIKED518 (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
im thinkin book_lover123 is probably rite. The spirit I am dealing with now imitates sounds. So why can't one imitate shapes. Thats chilling.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
Sounds to me like you met a type of gnome or even a very young dwarf. Elves, according to books tend to be tall, some get up to 7 feet tall.

Gnomes generally tend to be thin, but they can gain weight just like people can. Dwarves tend to be around 5 feet tall when fully grown and they are very broad and stocky.

Gnomes can have all sorts of personalities, from kind, to shy, to mischievous, to completely mean. They tend to not speak to or contact adult humans (which would explain why you saw it as a child). I have no idea why it was in a human home, in an attic, but I am very glad you didn't go with it. I don't know what it was planning had you gone into the attic, but it was not good, from the sound of his voice and the creepy feeling you felt.
Terryberry (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
the scariest part is thinking about what could have happened if you did go up there.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
Never has this happened to me, but I think it was a demon who chose the shape of an elf.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
You were being smart enough not to follow the elf... I hope that would never happen anymore... Stay safe ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: