You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Shadow In The Living Room And Voices In The Bathroom

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow In The Living Room And Voices In The Bathroom

 

In November 2009 my boyfriend and I moved from our rented flat to a rented house. It had originally been quite difficult for us to find somewhere we were happy with (well, that I was happy with) until we stepped into the house we currently rent. As soon as I stepped across the threshold I knew I wanted to live here; the house had such a 'homely', 'secure' and 'family' feel to it.

The house it's self is not very big, but it is quite old. Due to the very strong feelings of home I did some research and have found the house mentioned in the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 UK census records. In each year the house is mentioned the occupants have either the same names or at least the same surnames. The house is fairly true to its original design; it isn't very big and has one double bedroom, one single, kitchen/diner and a living room. Two of the rooms still have the original Victorian fireplaces and tiling around them (on the floor), the only drastic change compared to it's original layout is the extension we use for a study--this was originally built so that the house could have an indoor toilet in the 70s (the occupants waited ages!) but our landlord moved the bathroom upstairs by making the single room smaller.

As we had moved we had a lot of visitors wanting to see our new home, including my boyfriend's mum and step-dad, who are spiritualists who have been attending a development circle for years. We were all sitting in the living room having tea when his mum asked me about the age of the house and I told her about the census records. I candidly said something along the lines of "I would've liked a ghost" to which she responded with something like "I don't feel any presence or visitor" and his step-dad confirmed this. This may seem like I made a fairly silly comment, but my thinking was that because the house has such a 'homely' and 'happy' feel to it that any ghost would not be evil. I am a firm believer in the paranormal.

Months later (February time) I was sitting in the study working and I heard the letterbox so I went to get the post but there was nothing there, so I went back to work. As time passed this became more frequent, not only when I was in the study but it began to happen when I was in the living room and upstairs. My boyfriend is a big-time skeptic (regardless of his mum and step-dad's beliefs) so I was reluctant to tell him about this, but when I did he said he heard the same things when he was on his own. This is still on-going. Neither of us finds this frightening. It isn't very likely that it is the wind that is causing this to happen due to the positioning of the house and because we have a double letterbox with draft stopper. I was thinking that a ghost may be tacking the mick as my boyfriend used to be a postman... What do you guys think?

Over the last two weeks more odd things are happening. When I am in the study and look through the open door to the living room I often see a shadow (in the shape of a man) standing by the door that leads to the hallway, but when I begin to approach he fades away. I don't find this scary as I don't feel threatened.

The only thing that has disturbed me is that I have begun to hear voices when I am upstairs. On several occasions I have heard a man calling my name and thinking it was my boyfriend I got out the shower and asked what he wanted. He denied it and said he never heard it. I have also begun to hear a woman's voice when I am in the bath or shower, but I can't really make out what she is saying.

What do you guys think?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, starfish, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-01)
Whomever is there I think is what I like to call a "family" haint, as in they've been there, and they will probably stay there. I think they want you to know they are there, to contradict what your family said. 😊
I hope all goes well, and keep us posted! 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
starfish: I know this is off topic, but I absolutely love to hear slang from different countries... LOVE the cockney slang! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Starfish, thanks again for sharing your story!

And Aya-Love-Carrots, what did you mean by "omg! Someone got hit by waterspirite! LMAO!"? If you have some comment you wanted to make, please feel free to email me. πŸ˜‰

Best wishes,
Watersprite
starfish (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
zzsgranny--lol. Your pretty much right, 'taking the mick' means make fun off.

Apparently (and I do not know how true this is) it is derived from the Cockney ryhming slang for 'taking the p***'. 'Taking the p***' became 'taking the Mickey Bliss' (who this person is I am not sure) and then 'taking the Mick' or 'Micky' and sometimes 'Michael'.

Thanks for your advice, I'll gve it a go.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Starfish: I'm sorry, I think I speak for most of us here in the States when I say I don't know what "tacking the mick" means! πŸ˜†...From the context though, I assume it means that it's trying to prove it's presence by mimicking your boyfriend's actions?...

Some things you can do to prove or disprove the presence of entities are: set up a video camera and/or tape recorder or digital recorder... You don't have to speak directly to your ghostie, but just let them run and see if you pick up anything...

Keep us posted, and I would love to hear more "slang" LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
πŸ˜† omg! Someone got hit by waterspirite! LMAO! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Again. I agree with Badjuujuu. BE CAREFUL ON WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

-Aya x Yoite
Infinity (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Hi Starfish, I must admit your invititation to them upstairs stood out for me to and I suspect that's exactly what's happened. The old saying, be careful what you wish for comes to mind. You sent a direct invitation and they answered. If you're not frightened (there are ways to protect yourself) I would ask who they are and see what you get. Keep an open mind, as I read your story I didn't feel any negative energy just curiosity. If you're feeling uncomfortable then you can politly ask them to go away! Interesting story and good luck!

Nameste
starfish (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Don't worry, I am not frightend by what you have said. I have had other experiences in my life, but this is the first time in my own home (not my childhood home or a friends house/flat).

The only thing I have participated in is PLR with a qualified PLR hypnotherapist.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Regarding to things possibly escalating it is well known I believe anyway, that being more open minded to the very existence of spirits etc acts as an invitation in itself to them, its like the try to show themselves to people that can, and are willing to perceive them.
Have you dabbled with anything regarding the occult before? Ouija, seances, readings etc? I originally only mentioned this because I have heard of hundreds of experiences that have started out exactly like yours that do escalate to a bit more. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to scare you I could be completely wrong, it is just a thought. I wish you all the best.

Thank you

Dan
starfish (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Thanks everyone.

To be entirely honest I have thought the whole thing could be in my head.

I know the scientific explanation of shadow people and think this is quite plausable in this situation. The vioces could also be travelling from the public footbath that runs behind our garden and someone saying my name could be my mind misunderstanding what someone outside is saying because of the noise of the taps etc. The house old (at least 160 years) and is going to make noises.

As for opening up my home to spirits I can see it being possible, but I honestly don't believe anything bad is going to happen. I know from previous converstations with my 'in-laws' that several members my family are currently watching over me (grandad, great grandad and great great grandad) because of some fairly recent strains in my life. (They told me this by mentioning the various generations of grandads by their first names---something that my boyfriend doesn't even know). I am going to mention these things to them, but as they don't live in the same county as us their visits are far and few between.

When you say you think the things are going to escalate, in what way do you mean?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Along the same lines as what Lotus and BadJuuJuu are traveling on, your welcoming of a ghost does stand out. Now that you are starting to experience small things, I believe these are only going to escalate. Have you mentioned these new happenings to your boyfriends parents? Might be a good idea to see what they pick up on now? If this does not bother you I would not be to worried. Keep us posted.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Your comment of "I would've liked a ghost," stands out to me. It brings two possibilities to mind.
One- sometimes when we want a haunting, we sort of invent one ourselves. We attribute every creaky floorboard to a ghost, every time a light bulb flickers, our thoughts run to "GHOST!" rather than "Hm, maybe I should have the wiring looked at." Under the power of suggestion, the normal appears paranormal. We've all done it a time or two.
Possibility two- sometimes when we want a haunting, we send out an unconscious invitation to wandering ghosts. Our interest can light up a beacon that leads ghosts in, and then we end up with the very thing we wanted. A haunting.
Just my thoughts 😊
HardToScare432 (1 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
The voices are definitely weird but I think your boyfriend is right about the letterbox. Maybe your just too much of a believer haha.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
In one of the houses I lived in it would be so cozy & homey & nice in the day time. But when night would fall it was a nightmare. Later as time went on in this house the time of day wouldn't matter. Things would happen slightly at first then progressively get worse & worse. I'm not saying this is your case. I'm just say'n. Even if it 'feels' fine to you, doesn't mean it is, or that it will stay that way. I am a pastor but I don't call DEMON every time something goes bump. I'm pretty practical. Bless you & yours.

~LSD~
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
I would say the voices are residual, except that your name is being called. I would "nip that in the bud," if I were you. Maybe go all over the house when your boyfriend is not home and tell "whomever" that you do not want them to start this up, that you really would like some peace and quiet and privacy in your home. And no... Dear people on this fabulous web site... Please, please do not start telling this nice lady that she has "demons" in her home! πŸ˜† ROTFL

Thank you for sharing this fascinating and well-written story.

Best wishes,
Watersprite ❀

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: