You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Honey I'm Home

Real Ghost Stories

Honey I'm Home

 

This story is pretty damn lame compared to some of the ones that I have read on this site but anyway, here goes!

I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years now. He lives in a very old house in Streatham, South London and surprisingly I have never found it to be at all creepy. It's a house which was built in the 1800's and I assume at one point it was one house, now it's been divided into three flats and my boyfriend lives on the middle level.

The way the house is and I guess since it's so old I can often hear the baby crying downstairs or the lady walking around her flat upstairs; I guess the walls are really thin. I can also hear if anybody comes into the house, opens any door or uses any of the two flights of stairs which connect the apartments together.

Since my first ghostly experience when I was around 7 or 8 (I'm 23 now) I have been distantly and quietly interested and terrified of the paranormal. I have had a few experiences that can only be described as such and so have members of my family but those are for another time.

What I'd like to talk about is a rather odd but 100% genuine experience that happened last summer (2010).

I live in Clapham but was staying at my boyfriends for days on end at a time whilst bunking school, instead preferring to watch Comedy Central and play The Sims (I can be a bit of a geek/weirdo) as I really prefer my own company. So anyway, one summers day I was laid out on the sofa in the middle of lunchtime watching King of Queens on Comedy Central as I did most days. I was alone in the house as my boyfriend and his flatmate were both at work and weren't due home for at least 4-5 hours. There are two sofas in the house; both face the TV and one has its back to the living room door where the other has a view of the living room door to its right hand side. I was sitting on the one where I had my back to the living room door since the coffee table was closer to that sofa.

As I was sitting there I heard the unmistakable sound of the front door opening and closing downstairs. Then I heard the footsteps of somebody walking up the carpeted stairs to the middle level which is my boyfriend's flat. The door opened and closed but not as loudly as say my boyfriend or his flatmate usually do it so naturally I figured it was boyfriend coming home early to try and surprise me. We have this thing where we try to surprise each other by jumping out of nowhere which is completely childish but impossibly funny when you see the look of shock and terror on somebody's face.

As I sat there I could hear him moving down the hallway towards the living room where I was so I thought instead of spoiling the fun I would let him think he'd succeeded in surprising me. So I just sat there watching the TV and not turning round. After about 10 seconds I felt this enormous presence behind me and the room went a little dark as if this shadow had engulfed me so at this point I turned round quickly still thinking it was him, with a huge grin on my face, I'd just uttered something along the lines of "Gosh, you're so dumb..." when I stopped abruptly, it was as if I'd just been winded. There was not another living soul in that room apart from me. I started to look around, smile slightly faded but still adamant that there was somebody else in the room. I never did find anything but the strange thing is; when I think about it now I'm terrified but at the time I was completely unafraid and calm I just sat back down and continued watching my comedies. I laugh about it now!

Besides that one experience nothing so far has happened to me in that house, I've asked my boyfriend if he's ever experienced anything but he is far from perceptive so he wouldn't really notice unless a ghost actually joined him in the shower, even then I'm not so sure. I find it incredible that a house so old doesn't host more paranormal activity but his house must bear some sort of historical importance because one day in the summer a load of tourists were led down his street and stopped outside to take pictures of the house. I must do some research. Anyway thanks for reading and I hoped you enjoyed my small slice of confusion. Comments welcome.

Other hauntings by serenitylopez

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, serenitylopez, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kathwitt (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
"instead preferring to watch Comedy Central and play The Sims (I can be a bit of a geek/weirdo) as I really prefer my own company"

We are cut from the same cloth! I can totally relate!

Anyways,I love this story! I love the old houses and buildings in London (I sadly do not live there, but I have visited and fell in love right away!)
Please keep us updated if you do look into the history of the house - I would be very interested to know!
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-27)
I really enjoyed this story! Also a bit because it reminded me of my own experience (in case you'd like to read it it's published here; "A curious shadowghost")
But it sounds really freaky, I'm suprised you didn't get more scared than you did. I'd like to know more about this house, and if you experience something else, keep us posted!
Thanks for sharing 😊
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
This story is far from lame - I too have experience a presence so strong behind me that I would actually start a conversation with it (and like you) turn around only to find I was alone. I agree with you about checking out the history/background on this house. Please keep us inform - would love to know more about the house. Good Story--thank you for sharing.
P.S.Thought I would add - that I'm a SIMS fan also 😆
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
Hi serenitylopez,

What a frightening experience must that have been! And somehow it does ring a bell with me, something just like this did happen to me in the past... I can not put my finger on it though. Enjoyed reading your sharing very much! Thanks for posting.

Greetings,
Peter
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
Thanks for posting this one, it was very enjoyable to read! It's kind of funny to think that you thought your boyfriend was trying to surprise you, but in the end it was a ghost! 😉 May have been a residual haunting, so look out if anything of the same thing happens again. Am interested in knowing what the history of the place might be, if you find anything please let us know! 😊
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I agree with you doing research can help you understand so much more. 😊 Hope to read more of your stuff soon.
ghosty24 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
i was watching king of queens while reading this! 😲 weird...
ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Hi there! Hope your doing OK! 😊 But I think that maybe if any of your Family members passed even if you weren't really close to them that it still might possibly be a Family member... Are you sure no one else has experienced anything like a guest maybe?
Or maybe it was just a wandering ghost/spirit... Have you experienced anything else? Because you never know it might have been a house to someone important if they stood outside taking pictures... But I don't know. Write back please! ❤ 😊
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
[at] serenitylopez - yeah. It almost sounds like a wandering one. I didn't think about the residual haunting like what DeviousAngel was offering up. There is also a good chance that it could be that sort of haunting. But in Residual Haunting (just speaking from what I think I have heard, not completely sure here) is that it could work like a loop. Meaning it would repeat itself in the future. Though that may be considered a different haunting I think.

Peace
JustCurious
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Great Story! You really are brave! I would of run out lol! But I'm fascinated on how you just went on with your day like if nothing happened at all!

Cant wait to hear the history of your place!

Thanks for sharing!

Looney
😊
serenitylopez (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Thank you for reading.

[at] zombiesarecommingforme - I guess when I say it's lame I mean some stories here literally gave me goosebumps, I can't imagine this experience would do the same to somebody but I appreciate your opinion:)

[at] ghost_22 - No it wasn't my boyfriend, he didn't come home until a good 5 hours later and neither did his flatmate. It wasn't the tourists as they had visited after this happened so yeah I'm still stumped.

[at] JustCurious - I think I agree with you, I don't think it was a bad spirit, more a wandering one since nothing has happened since.

[at] DeviousAngel - I recently decided to start looking up the history of the house, it's certainly a remarkable house so I'm sure I'll find something. If I find anything I'll post it here.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Great story! Thank you for sharing it. That would have scared me out of my skin, too... To hear someone going through the motions of the day and you turn and they aren't there. I think what you encountered was probably a bit of a residual haunting, that is to say, energy left behind from a cyclical repeating of events. I do look forward to hearing if you find out anything about the house!
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Stories on here can't be labeld as "lame" compared to others due to the fact that they differ between people in regards as experience. Your story is far from lame.

Its an interesting read though. Maybe the spirit was traveling. Like just passing through and isn't sticking around the house anymore? I don't know. Just throwing an idea out there.

Peace
JustCurious
ghost_22 (2 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
so was it your boyfriend? Really scary do you think it was the tourists?

Best wishes

Chloe ❤ xoxo
zombiesarecommingforme (3 stories) (32 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
First, your story isn't lame compared to others. (Just thought I'd say that.) Of course it is frightening. I enjoyed reading it. Maybe you won't be bothered there anymore by that thing because you showed you weren't afraid. Good Luck with what ever happens. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: