You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Hotel Hauntings

Real Ghost Stories

Hotel Hauntings

 

When I was between the ages of 7 and 8 my mother left my father and we all moved into a hotel which was a short bus ride away from our old flat. I'm now 23 and have always and still live in Clapham, London. The hotel was called The Parkside Hotel in Clapham Common but it's since been demolished to make way for apartments- we lived there for just over a year. A lot of odd things happened in that place but it was only recently that I learned that it was haunted since it was such an old building with such an old layout.

There was my mother, myself, my sister and three brothers along with my grandmother who didn't speak a word of English. At the time there was only 5 of us (there's 7 now) and I was child number 4 of 5. My mum has always pretty much been a single parent as my dad is a lousy father so she worked full-time so we'd often be left alone with my grandmother to take care of us and us of her.

So there was this one occasion where my sister and I needed to shower and being sisters and only having one year between us (she's older) we've always been very close and would do everything together and showering was no exception! So anyway, my mum was at work that day so my sister and I decided that we needed to shower and went to the bathroom which was just across the hall from our room.

We went in and closed the door and started to run the water for the shower. Whilst we were waiting for the water to warm up we stood there facing each other having a conversation about nothing in particular with our towels thrust over our shoulders. It's important to say here that we were stood just talking and not moving much, certainly no fast or sudden movements to explain what happened next. Very suddenly and out of the corner of our eyes we BOTH saw a dark grey shadow dart so fast across the wall that it made a very loud 'whoosh' sound.

We were both immediately silenced; we looked over at the wall, looked at each other, screamed and ran out of the bathroom screaming at the top of our lungs. My poor grandma didn't understand why we were screaming since she couldn't speak English, she thought we'd been hurt, bless her. She went to check out the bathroom but found nothing so we ended up having a wash with a bucket in our carpeted room since we refused to go back in there until our mum came back from work.

She did come back and she took her bible into the bathroom and said a prayer so nothing ever happened in that room again to us.

However in our bedroom which was pretty much a bedsit as it had a kitchen and three beds; one double and two singles. My mother slept in the double with myself and my sister, we'd always fight to be in the middle because I always felt a presence on my other side which I hated feeling. And my grandmother and baby brother who was 5 at the time slept in the two singles. Anyway my mum would always complain of hearing noises in the night though it was usually one of two noises; a baby crawling around and making gurgling noises or like a pig or hog type animal snorting really low on the ground.

My mother is Catholic so she has always slept with a bible beside her bed so whenever she'd hear these noises she'd open her bible to any page and just leave it opened on the ground and the sounds would just stop! They never gave us any reason to be afraid but my mother was never frightened as she is from a village in West Africa where she has experienced many supernatural things; seen ghosts, heard their voices and even seen doppelgangers. She loves to speak about these experiences so if anyone would like to hear them I could get her and my dad to write them down and I could post them here.

Thank you for reading my story, I hope it doesn't sound too lame! I'd just like to say that everything I have written here is 100% true and I welcome any comments or questions.

Other hauntings by serenitylopez

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, serenitylopez, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

chicken-nugget22 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
Ok, well first I would do research on the hotel and on the room you stayed at. You should see if a baby might have died there or a pig because your mom heard those sounds. If one of them died there I am guessing they died in the shower. I have a qustion... Do you still live in the hotel.

hope the information helped,
Chicken Nugget22
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
serenitylopez,
It looks like the vote is unanimous so far, you must believe us now when we say your story is not lame. ❤
And I too would love to hear more from you and your parents experiences.
The part that gripped me was the shadow moving so quickly that it made a swoosh. I don't like getting scared in the bathroom at all! It almost seems like that should be a safe zone from the spirits.
Thank you for sharing your story and I'm looking forward to hearing more.
😊
aiafaith1 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
You're story isn't lame at all! I would like to hear your mom's (or should I say mum's sorry I'm from America) stories!
nutcase4real (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
I've was in a haunted hotel once with my family. We kept getting woke up by strange noices, the tv, and the alarm clock (which went off 3 hours early). We went and complained to the owner of the hotel and he said someone was recently murdered in the room we stayed in. We left immediatly.
hannaho11 (11 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Interesting:) I'm sure we would love your mum & dad to post on here! Good story!:) ❤
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
I agree with the Readers that your story not lame I do Enjoyed and please sent your parent's story too we will enjoyed thanks! 😁
serenitylopez (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Yeah the baby gurgling and crawling didn't sound as bad when my mum told us about it but the pig sounds were so strange we didn't dare go to the toilet when the lights were out nor did we dare to not have the covers over us even during the summer.
What I forgot to add was that our room was in the basement, it was one of those rooms where it's below ground level but still has windows and a view of peoples feet though it was situated away from the main road.

I'll sit down with my mum this weekend with a pen and pad and get a few of her experiences down so hopefully they should be up in about a week or two.

Thanks for your comments and thank you for reading.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Very good story! Far from lame in my opinion!

Just as a heads up, from what I have read (though it can contribute to it, I'm just saying what I have read in the past) that ghosts and spirits can haunt the land so there may have been a spirit or two that are haunting there that could have been there from the time before the building was built (or before the hotel was even built). Just adding that in as my opinion is all.

But over all a very good and enjoyable story!

Peace
JustCurious
Georgiee (1 stories) (7 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Hotels are very popular places for spirits to hang around, probably because so many people stay there and things do happen. Your story isn't lame but is actually very interesting. I can't imagine that any of the things you heard or saw would have harmed you, but I understand that as a child it would have scared you very much.
Best wishes
Dudester (4 stories) (9 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
I once worked at a hotel where a guest reported that it felt as if someone had come in the room and sat on the bed. I went up to that area and got a creepy feeling, but I never saw or heard anything out of the ordinary.

A sister bought a hotel once owned by my grandfather. The place is over one hundred years old and uninhabitable. She's trying to fix it up, but it's going to take another 500-750k to get it there. Anyway, there isn't any reported hauntings there, but she said she would welcome the spirit of a prostitute who rented a room on the back of the second floor.
aya22 (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Not lame at all! This was a great first story, thank you for sharing. Gurgling or pig-like grunting sounds are definitely creepy! I'm glad that your mom's faith was able to keep you guys safe. Can't wait to read what story you have next. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
serenitylopez: Great story, I have seen a picture of this hotel and it certainly looks haunted. Picturing a little baby crawling around on the floor making gurgling noises is a bit off putting. You also mentioned hearing like a pig or hog like noise I have heard quite a few cases of people also hearing this and the majority of them were not good it seemed to be related to a darker energy. It seems as though hotel has a rich history shame it has been demolished now it would have been good to find out more information on it. I would enjoy hearing more from you. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Amberly527 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
I really enjoyed reading your story and would love to hear your mom and dads stories! Please post them when you can! I will check back regularly for them. Once again thank you. It was very enjoyable story.
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
Thank you for sharing your story and your story is not lame, I can't wait to read any other stories you plan on sharing with us. I agree with Mabs, London is a very history rich place with many known hauntings. 😊
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
PS I a, also from UK, East London to be precise! Lot of history in london!
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-23)
This story is far from lame! I for one really enjoyed it!

As children, one is more open to the spiritual realm, indeed I can relate to your story as I too had some spooky encounters as a child! These things exist, as adults we grow out of it but not always. Some are more atuned to the supernatural world than others. I have heard those that have been close to death or very ill, experience weord goings on later on. Everyone has a veil which seperates us from 'them', and sometimes, this veil is lifted. It can be a blessing or a curse; the trick is not to be scared, easier said then done! We have to realise that these beings are also creations of god, and have life, leas good or bad lives and ultimtly die just like us. I do not believe in ghosts, in the orthodox sense. Humazns after they die, their spirit returns to god. What we see of these persons, are 'familiars'; not that actual person rather a spirit which was with the person when alive for a long lenght of time. They are spirits totally indepent of everything. And what yoy saw as a child was no doubt maybe a mischvous spirit, maybe even malevolent. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would love to hear your mothers stories! Please divulge upon them soon! Our elders such as mum, dad or grandparents have more wisdom, and we should value their experiences/ stories!

Take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: