You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Housekeeping Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Housekeeping Ghost?

 

This is the earliest memory I have that involves anything supernatural related, and it is also the most... How would you describe it...active, vivid, maybe even solid evidence based? From my memory I was around 4 years old, just before I started school and mum was heavily pregnant with my little sister. We where renting a house not too far away from my new school. We had been living there for a few months, can't remember the exact number, and nothing ever happened. But then one night our house was getting egged, I remember because I got curious what raw eggs tasted like and tried some off the wall (not pleasant! Trust me you don't forget a taste like that). The thing is while the house was getting egged at... I think it was 2am; something woke my dad up by slapping him on the leg. It was summer so dad was wearing shorts to bed, and he was slapped around the mid thigh. The next morning dad was accusing mum of slapping him, now my mum is one of those tiny women who you think you could snap if you hugged them too hard, and dad is a huge 6ft and was a trucker at the time. When dad showed mum his leg there was a handprint on his thigh, mum told him that she didn't hit him. Dad said it must have been her because the handprint was too small for his own hand, but then mum put her own hand over the top and her hand was way too small to make that big of a print.

And that's when everything started. From that day onward every morning mum would wake up to help get me ready for school and the kitchen chairs would be on the table, the thing is dad never puts chairs on the table (he thinks it's unhygienic) and neither does mum, also at the time she wasn't physically capable of putting them up because of her pregnancy, and she would always get irritated every time she had to take them down, once while she was, my sister must have given a really hard kick because mum ended up dropping one of the chairs and breaking one of it's legs off.

But what really got my parents a bit worried is that when they would be awake while I slept in their room on the floor on a mattress (It's still summer and they had the only air-con), and I would kick the blankets off because it would get hot, and they would watch as the blankets would lift up all by themselves and be put back over me, and I should point out that I wasn't the one moving.

Eventually my parents managed to get a hold of the person who we were renting from and asked him if any strange things were known for happening in the house. The guy said that his mother used to own the house and she was very proud of it and always kept the place clean if any of the kids (her grandkids) came over. He said that she had actually died in the house of a heart attack. We're guessing that it slapped dad the night the place was being egged so that he could get up and chase the teens away. Then it/she just stayed active I guess. We only lived there for another year I think, my sister had been born and we moved out when she was about 6 months old because mum got pregnant again and we needed a bigger house.

Well that was pretty much my most intense experience with this type of thing. At the time I just thought it was cool, like having an invisible babysitter, even though all she did was put the blankets back on me (even when I clearly wanted them off in the middle of summer!). But apparently it was enough to get my uncle scared to walk in the house; whenever he visited he would stay at the front door, never set foot in the house he was that scared, I just found it funny. So, any thoughts, I kind of liked that ghost, it didn't seem mean at all, just an old lady who liked to keep her house clean, anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'm just wanting to see if it's a common thing or not.

Other hauntings by Dogwoman91

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dogwoman91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
I'm in agreement with the other posters. It was probably the previous owner lady who was acting like the grandmother to you and your family and is probably doing the same thing to the new occupants. I had to laugh about the tidbit about your uncle not wanting to come into the house because of the ghost. Did he experience anything at all or did he get scared from the stories that were told?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Great story! I enjoyed reading it very much. I agree with granny. These kind of stories are my favorites. She sounds like she was a very sweet lady, who took good care of her home and family. She continued on caring even after she passed.

My grandmother and mother always put the chairs up when they clean the floor. My grandmother would actually set the table for breakfast before she went to bed. She would have the place mat, dish, fork spoon, napkin, and would turn the coffee up over on to the saucer so dust wouldn't get in the cup. LOL! She used to say "it saves time" It just goes to show how set in their ways people can be. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Excellent story! I can just imagine the little old lady hitting your dad - "HEY, quitcher snoozin' boy! Get outta bed and put an end to them teenage shennanigans!" And I thought it rather cute that she kept covering you up even though it was hot. That sounds like something my grandma would do, too. I would kick my blankets off and she kept telling me, "better to be too hot than catch a cold".
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
I like this story! How sweet of the older lady ghost to be so protective and helpful to you and your family 😊

This kind of thing is more common than you think I would say, the "caspers" around my house can be quite helpful when they want to be, why only a couple of weeks ago when I was making a stir fry, the oyster sauce flew right out of the pantry of its own accord, I figured that meant add the oyster sauce NOW and not a minute later, ahh everyone's a critic in the kitchen! 😆

The chair part interested me, would have been cool if you guys had video taped the room at night while it was happening 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
Dogwoman91,
Great story! Thanks for sharing.
I've seen the same thing happen with the chairs before. And it does freak you out. But it is cool when you think about it, she was helping out because your mum was in no shape to be lifting the chairs herself, but it must not have occurred to her that someone would have to take them down. Mine happened at work, I wrote a story about it here if you'd like to read it. It's on my profile page. The Famous Captains Anchorage Haunting.

Jav 😊
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-25)
Very interesting story here, Dogwoman91. I love the idea that this Older Woman looked after you and your Family. My bet is that she is still looking after the new occupants of your old house. I think that similar experiences can happen, and do happen all the time. What we read on YGS is probably only a smidgen of the paranormal activity that goes on.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
the1unknown215 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-25)
that was a very nice story, I love to read a scary story every now and then. I d believe that story is true and I guess you could say unique
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-25)
Dowgwoman - loved your story! You and your family definitely had a "helpful" ghost LOL. While I was reading your story, I had to laugh because I could just imagine the old lady slapping your dad on his leg to wake him up.

And the chairs on the table? OMG, I remember an elderly family member who was like that. For some reason she never liked her chairs down at night. She always wanted them set up on the table. I'm like your dad. Chairs belong on the floor 😆. I can just see her getting "irritated" each time she would put them back up there too LOL.

You had a good ghost, Dogwoman😊. A "grandma" still taking care of the "little one." Great story. BTW, I still do that to my little boy and he's 9 1/2. For some reason I guess I don't think he knows when he's cold. I cover him up, he pushes them right back off.😆

Oh, and yeah, completely believable story. Don't pay any attention to that other "stuff." It's summertime and kids get bored. I guess they have to have some kind of outlet and this is a lot less dangerous than some things they can be doing. It's annoying, but eventually it dies down.
Dogwoman91 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-25)
[at] scaredtilldeath

Yes, it is actually 100% true based on my own memories and bits of my mum and dads memories where mine has failed

This comment from PraserT is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

This comment from scaredtilldeath is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-24)
Dogwoman: Pretty cool, huh?...You're asking if this is a common occurance as far as experiences of "good ghosties"...I'd be willing to bet that most experiences are like yours... There are hundreds of stories on our site very similar to this... And you know what?...We never, ever get tired of reading about them 😆...

Some examples I can give you are the stories of Miracles51031, Javelina, Cosmogal, and HauntedCleaner, to name just a few... I think you'll enjoy their accounts...

Thank you for posting, and hope to read more from you soon!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: