You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Roommmate

Real Ghost Stories

A Roommmate

 

In 2010 I lived in the bottom of a two apartment duplex. During this time we had a series of several tenants coming and going in a matter of weeks. I didn't think much of it, I just assumed it was the nature of the rental business. Eventually we just didn't have a neighbor upstairs.

So the beginning of the new year, I found myself by myself. I spoke with the landlord and asked him about the upstairs apartment, since it was smaller and cheaper, it'd be right up my alley. We quickly made an agreement and soon enough I was living upstairs.

The apartment is small, but comfortable for a single person. For the longest time, everything seemed perfectly fine. Then, just very small, minor things started to happen. I'd wake up in the middle of the night, just feeling odd, that strange, almost violated feeling that someone or something was in my room and watching me.

This continues to happen every once and awhile, usually at random. More recently though something else caught my attention. My friend has a puppy and as puppies often are, they are mischievous and they like to explore.

Except in my apartment. The dog refuses to leave the sight of any of us. A normally happy-go-lucky puppy, changed into a sniveling coward, the dog will simply sit on the couch and whimper, shiver and cry until it leaves the apartment.

This dog, never acts like this anywhere else and they make it a point to take it everywhere and to introduce it to as many people and places as possible. My house and only my house is the only instant in which is suddenly changes it's entire character.

So I've asked myself, do I have a unseen roommate? I can't say for sure and I honestly as long as things don't progress any further, I will try my best to just live with it.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JarMan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Medial, I hope you don't mind, but I'm emailing a copy of your comment to my brother in law. Retired sound engineer (formerly the VP of post-production sound at Warner Bros.) I'll be requesting a translation and waiting for the chuckle.

Jav 😆
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Ah Moongrim,

Here's a fun argument: I'm a sound technician with a Bachelor's of Science in Recording Arts. First of all, dogs have a significantly higher range of hearing than humans, up to 50, 000 Hz. But not down low by 20 Hz, like (some) humans can hear. And for that low of a frequency to be felt by humans, the sound pressure would more than freak out your dog a little bit.

You want to be the skeptical "science guy" with random psychoacoustic principles? Be my guest! But don't just be skeptical for the sake of being skeptical. I agree that we should look at every angle-especially when we claim the incident to be paranormal, but that doesn't mean that infrasound can explain a feeling of uneasiness.

Random: If you want to feel uneasy, listen to a 9k Hz sine wave (think you could google that). Now THAT'S uneasy.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
I'd recommend that you get if you could, a sound technician to come and give your place the once over.

Why? Infrasound.
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound
JarMan (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
I have been thinking around the line of possible EMF leaking, causing some sort of "fear cage" or paranoia. I am going to be picking up a detector sometime this week to double check.

I currently do not have anything that I could use to check such a thing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
JarMan: We do try to correct all of the spelling errors 😆, but we're only human, too... I wouldn't mind a bit if all of the stories submitted were as well written as yours... Anyone who has submitted a story here knows that the author is given the opportunity to make changes and corrections prior to hitting the "publish" button...

I guess what I'm saying is, everyone is responsible for editing their own story... If there are a few mistakes, most of the time (LOL) the editors will correct them... I was excited to see another story from you, and didn't pay attention to the title 😆...

Anyway, about your apartment... Sounds interesting... There has to be a reason for the quick turnover... Please keep us posted about any new developments 😊
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
Sniffles 😭 I miss my giant dog! He was my filter also, human or otherwise.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
JarMan,
At the risk of constantly repeating myself, and I will, when it comes to people and places I trust my dogs and small children as to what could be a situation or not. They don't have the filters yet to be able to ignore what they know is there.

Jav
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
JarMan-

Trust me, I know what you mean. I use my phone to go online and I make a lot of errors. With a few exceptions, I don't think the grammar needs to be perfect in the stories to confirm their validity (though it does make them easier to follow).

Please keep us updated on your apartment! 😊
JarMan (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
I have looked at stories I posted and even older posts I've made and found spelling errors. It's really frustrating that there isn't any sort of edit function.

I try to spell check everything I write, multiple times. And for the most part, it usually comes out pretty clean, but the spell check also has a bad habit of giving me the wrong words.

I apologize for that.

I am really surprised they don't spell check stories and to be honest I am surprised they don't have some sort of waiting period before anyone can submit a story, you know, to filter out the fiction writers. Simply making people wait would drive away quite few people who could have less then honorable intent.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
OMMMMMG!...Sorry JarMan 😆...Yeah, who edited this story anyway? 😆 😆
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Psst...you spelled roommate wrong. Haha it's still a nice story and you're one of my favorite posters... I would think the story checkers would have fixed a typo in the title of the story though...
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Apparently not invisible to the puppy. I think that apartments are good locations for paranormal experiences as the energy of the space is in a continual state of flux. Maybe this enviroment is very inviting to some ghosts. Is there a history or tragedy associated with these appartments?
😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
I would think you and the puppy are picking up on the same factor that is making the place uncomfortable. I would guess something environmental at this point rather than a someone/thing, but as you suggest without a known cause it will make you wonder.
lynrinth (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Well, they say animals are more psychic than humans. Maybe it sees your 'roommate'. And if your friends know bringing their puppy to your apartment makes it unhappy, than they shouldn't bring at all. Sorry, my opinion. I hate it when people make their pets do things when the pets don't want to do. All I guess you can do now is watch and observe. See if anything happens next. Then perphaps it's time to take action. ALWAYS trust your gut. It will never lead you wrong. Good luck.
JarMan (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
I have been planning on doing so at some point. I'll rely any information as it presents itself.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
JarMan - have you done any EVPs or the typical scanning for high EMFs or anything? You know, to rule out what it what and what you are left with?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: