You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: A Flakey Feline Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A Flakey Feline Ghost

 

I've had many experiences with ghosts in my house, but none of them have been human. In fact, they're all feline, and I enjoy their presence greatly. The particular cat ghost that this story is about is named Flake (originally short for "Snowflake", but changed when we realized he was really a pale orange and not white). He lived a normal life for ten years, and then suddenly, over the space of several months, his entire back end stopped working. It turned out the 10 year old cat had a tumor on his spine. There was nothing we could do.

So we knew where he was the last few nights of his life and could make him comfortable, he had been staying in one of our bathrooms on the plush rug. And he was a flighty cat as it was, normally... He didn't usually like to be touched (unless it was on HIS terms, as in, he jumped into your lap, yes, you could pet him... But don't try to chase him down to pick him UP), and was afraid of every new thing that came at him. I was a new thing, and he was afraid of me.

Picture of Flake We had a nice vet who agreed to do an in-home euthanasia for us, so Flake wouldn't have to endure a car ride to a place that terrified him. The night before the vet was to come to put him down, I was in the bathroom with him, because my adopted sister was in the bathroom we usually use. I was sitting on the toilet, and suddenly Flake pulled himself over with just his front paws, and nuzzled his head against my leg. I reached down and petted him, then got off the toilet to crouch on the floor and pet him... And he let me. His last day alive, he accepted me into the family. It made me happy and sad at the same time.

Fast forward to the one year anniversary of the night before he had to be put to sleep. That afternoon, as I went into our parent's bathroom (the other bathroom's toilet seat was broken), I saw him incredibly clearly, lying on the rug in the bathroom. The same place I saw him a year ago, as he was living in the bathroom at the time due to his inability to use his hind legs.

I blinked, and expected him to go away. When he didn't, I stepped into the room (I had to GO to the bathroom, after all) and shut the door behind me. Again, he was still there. So I started talking to him, letting him know that it was nice to see him, and asking him why he'd decided to come visit. I didn't really get the impression of answers from him, then again, I didn't really expect any. Squeak is the only ghost cat who's ever given me the impression of any kind of response, and that was just pictures and thoughts along the lines of "Hi. Sorry I missed you", or things to that effect.

As I sat on the toilet, he stood up and moved toward me. His paws weren't pressing into the plush rug in there. Not that I expected them to, with him being a ghost and all, but that's just the kind of little detail I notice for no apparent reason. He did exactly what he'd done the night before he died, coming over and gently rubbing his cheek against my leg.

I REALLY expected him to disappear now. I've never interacted with a ghost for this long before. And feeling his fur was the most surreal experience I've EVER had (even more so than when he brushed against me in the hallway about a month before). I had a sudden fear that he was saying goodbye, for some reason, and started trying to convince him not to leave. He's been here for over ten years, and while his eleventh birthday passed without him physically present for it, I whispered a happy birthday to the winds that night for him. As much as encounters with him and the other ghost cats occasionally flip me out, I also can't imagine the house WITHOUT them... Especially Flake, who I feel very close to, despite having only known him for three months when he was alive. I know my sister feels very close to Moe and Squeak (our other two active resident ghost cats) but I like Flakey Cat.

I didn't get the impression from his continued nuzzling of my ankle that he was going anywhere, so that allayed my fear a bit. Without thinking, (he'd been there and basically SOLID for a good ten minutes by then... I'd pretty much stopped thinking of him as 'ghost cat', and just gone 'soft kitty' in my head at that point) I reached down and petted his head.

I SWEAR that cat shed on me. I could feel the plushy fur sticking to my fingers. I kept petting him, though. And after I finished and moved to clean up, intending to kneel on the floor next to him as I'd done the night before he died, to pet him more thoroughly (it's hard to reach the floor from the toilet when you're as overweight as I am), but when I looked back down, he'd finally disappeared.

It was actually a jolt, to be honest. I had hoped he'd stick around, and I could maybe (odd thought, but I WAS kind of sleepy) pick him up for the first time. I never actually got to HOLD him, and only petted him three times. He was flighty and didn't really like to be touched, unless he WANTED to. Which was why that last night meant so much to me.

Other hauntings by Tygerwolfe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tygerwolfe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Greyle (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
I am so jealous. All my ghosts are human even though I have a pet graveyard with 3 bunnys and 2 cats.
MysteryVin (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
i think it was my old cat Fred that I had to give away. IN the story I just told.
In the comments.
MysteryVin (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
You know in my other comment. Yeah the other one on this around the end when I said I vanished I meant IT. Typo! Sorry about my Typo! 😆 😆 😆
MysteryVin (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
once in the middle of the night I was sleeping on the couch and I have a sliding glass door so I could her a soft meow in the backround of George Lopez so I turned down the volume and I could still her the meow. So I turned around and at the other side of the door was a red eyed cat. I ran and told my mom and she said to go back I went back it was still there but a few more seconds I vanished. They time was also aROUND 2:00 In the morning so yeah. It was scary though. 😨
Starz88 (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
When I was 12, our dog Toby passed away suddenly. It was my birthday and we had ordered pizza. After everyone had ate, there was some leftovers on the table so of course Toby was begging for some. My mother ended up giving him a piece of crust a tad bit to big, and sadly he ended up choking on it. He ran off to eat it and she went into the other room thinking he was a happy camper for getting some pizza. About 10 minutes later, my sister Amy noticed him laying motionless on the kitchen rug, so she called for help and we noticed he was un-conscious and we got the chunk of crust that was blocking his air way. But it was too late, he had gone to long without oxygen to the brain and he was basically brain dead and on his way to Rainbow Bridge.

Fast forward 2 days.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and got a drink of water and had used the restroom. After coming out of the bathroom, looking down our hallway. I saw Toby, standing before me. I immediately blinked a few times, thinking I'm just seeing things because I just woke up. But he did not disappear. So I leaned down and called his name. He started walking towards me and I was telling him how much I had missed him and asked why he had to go. He got within a foot away from me and looked at me then just disappeared. I stood there a few seconds with tears in my eyes before I finally went back to bed. To this day I have not seen him since... That was a good 10 years ago. I believe it was his way of saying goodbye and that he was in a better place. He was my very first dog and will always have that special place in my heart. He was my first spirit I've ever seen too. So human or not, they are always with us:)
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
I loved this story. I had a cat visit me that had passed away too. Although not as vivid as what you described.

My cat Rascal had to be put to sleep while I was in another state when I was about 10 or so. He was really sick with cat leukemia and he wouldn't eat or move and was in a lot of pain. I was so sad to hear that he was gone. I wished I could be there in his last moments but it didn't happen that way.

A couple of weeks after I had been home I was laying on the couch when I heard a cat bell jingle. We didn't have any other animals at the time and I instantly thought of my cat Rascal. There was a sleeping bag on the floor in front of the couch and it was made of a slick material on the outside that made a lot of noise if you moved or walked on it. I could hear my kitty walking towards me but I couldn't see him. He walked on the sleeping bag towards the couch and I watched as I could see the indents form in the sleeping bag from cat feet walking on them! I felt something jump on the couch and I could feel him snuggle close to me like he was going to sleep and his body was really warm and solid. I never saw him but he had a very physical presence and I was crying because I knew he wanted to say goodbye to me one last time. He layed there for about 10-15 minutes before the feeling disappeared and he never came back after that. I am glad I had that visit from him because I was very depressed the two weeks prior and I felt such a relief and feeling of love after the incident took place. I still think of him as my guardian angel kitty.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
ssnyder (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
My name is Jen and I'm the Producer on a new show for Animal Planet... Based on the very topic that you've been discussing here! Picture Shack Entertainment, (responsible for A&E shows "Paranormal State" and "Psychic Kids") is currently in production on a new series for Animal Planet that will focus on paranormal cases involving animals as part of the story.

Animals are commonly thought to be more sensitive to paranormal activity than humans. Both in this world and beyond, animals have often been the focus of spirit encounters.

I would love to chat with people who think their animals are especially sensitive to spiritual activity, or anyone who feels that they have been visited by a beloved pet who has passed on. We'd love to hear all of your stories!

Please contact me with any questions or stories to share! Jen.gsell [at] pictureshackentertainment.com
Thanks! Look forward to speaking with you soon!
scaredtobealone (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
i feel your pain from one cat lover to the next I'm sorry for your loss...r.i.p flake
Bring my cat some catnip flake lol
Baneofthewolf (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-27)
😭 Oh goodness, I'm so sorry. I am gla you are reconnected. Jeep your mind and soul wide, and he shall be with you.

~From a fellow animal lover
~~Baneofthe wolf

(pardon my Shall)
kcampbell (19 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-19)
it's so sad I am really crying because I love the way you go to your story I really do like it because you have never peted him and he let's you because he know that this is the last time you'll ever see him before he disappear. 😭 I will be crying all day I love this.
crazygirl101 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-11)
i too read both you stories and I think that it is great that flake accepted you R.I.P flake
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Hi I read both of your stories and they are very touching. I have always had a way with animals since I was a kid, My great great aunt was the same. I just want to say I am sorry to hear about your loss.

~Vicki
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
That story really got me lol...

when my dog died I had a reunion with him about 12 years later lol
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Bellissima -

I understand what you mean about being the "Dr. Dolittle" in your family... I've always been that in mine. :) I hope you some day have a chance to meet again with an animal you've loved that's crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-25)
Oh Tygerwolf, thanks for responding. I'm the Dr. Doolittle in my family and all of my life I've had a certain affinity for animals. I'm jealous of your experience as I've never had such a thing happen to me. I've befriended all manor of animals but they've never seen fit to pay me a visit from beyond. I wish they would because I think it would be great! 😉
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
cupcake10132,

Thank you very much for the kind comment! I plan to post a 'collection' of my shorter experiences with the ghost cats. And probably the experience I had when Smokey was put to sleep in a different state from me, because it was... Almost as profound as my experience with Flakey Cat. In fact, I think I'm going to go write that one up now. :)
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-18)
Yes,you do have a great heart by the sounds of it Tyger! Please share more stories with us soon!I'm glad Flakey misses you. Flakey has got to be saying,"Hi _____,I miss you soo much! Please pet me once more?".I'm no animal whisper, but I can guess really well! Next time you see Flakey, tell him/her "I love you and always will!".I'm as well like you, practilly every animal I come in touch with, we bond. Even if tehy are shy, after a bit we finally touch.
Best of luck!
Mikomi
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-04)
Dear Tygerwolfe,

You are very much welcome. Thank you for your story contribution and presence. --Abby
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-03)
Thank you, Bellissima.

I've always had a close bond with almost every animal I come into contact with... My parents used to call me an animal charmer, because they all seem to just naturally like me... And I love them. I guess that bond transcends life and death.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-03)
I always say that animals are excellent judges of character so you must have a really good heart for Flakey to come to you like that.
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-02)
Abby,

Thank you so much for your kind words... At some point I will have to write and talk about Smokey... My cat who followed me halfway across the country after she died. But that story is still too close to my heart for me to be able to write out right now.

I hope that, in the future, I will be able to include more stories of Flake, Squeak, Moe, and Smokey, our resident ghost cats.

Thank you again for the very kind words.

Sincerely,
Tyger
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-02)
Dear Tygerwolfe,

I appreciate you sharing your touching story. Pets are the most unconditionally loving friends we as human beings can have. They are also the best teachers of unconditional love.

You have been blessed to have reconnected with your sweet Flake after he crossed over. Pets and human beings once crossed over love to visit their loved ones. Flake did so and now no longer is in pain, but is also young again. Look for more visits from Flake while you are in waking state, as well as in your dream state. There are always signs, symbols, dreams, smells, sounds etc., etc. & etc. Just keep open all your sixth senses. Thank you & Blessings--Abby

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: