You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Picklebean Hollow

Real Ghost Stories

Picklebean Hollow

 

Back where I used to live, there was a hollow named "Picklebean Hollow". It was named after my Great Great Grandpa named Francis Hatfield (AKA Picklebean) who was very well liked and respected.

Now this story dosen't have really anything to do with Francis but with the hollow instead. I'm told a long time ago, before the hollow had a name, people called it "Cannibal Hollow" and it was rightfully named.

Forgive the history lesson, I'll get on with my encounter in a few moments. But, back in the 1800's, I am told that a family of cannibals lived up that hollow and after murdering and eating one of the locals' sons, the people living in that area had enough and slaughtered the whole family. The sheriff kept quiet about it because there was no trial and he was the one that allowed the killing of the family.

Now onto what I saw one night.

I was visiting my grandparents and they live right outside of "Picklebean Hollow". The previous day I was with my grandpa who was talking to one of my his friends who lives on "Picklebean Hollow" and he kept saying how he kept seeing someone outside his window last night. My grandpa said that maybe it was the ghost of one of the cannibals (In a sarcastic way) His friend's face went pale and he told him not to joke about such things. People from Pike County can be a little... Different.

Anyway, that night I couldn't sleep so I went outside and sat on the swing in the front yard. I must say, it is very relaxing in Pike County. I just looked up in the sky and was amazed by how many stars I saw. Then, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. The movement came from "Picklebean Hollow". I squinted my eyes and saw that it was a dark figure standing under the only street lamp on the road. The figure looked right at me and started coming towards me. I was about to get up and run, when the figure stopped. He stopped right where Picklebean Hollow ends. It was as if a invisible barrier would not let him through. The figure just paced back and forth, breathing heavily. I stood, frozen in my place. After a few moments, the figure vanished.

This really freaks me out! Even more so than my previous story I posted about the "Ceiling That Dripped Blood"! I wonder if the ghost couldn't leave "Picklebean Hollow" since that is where it was killed? Or maybe there is some other explanation...

Other hauntings by Mreaglesfan127

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mreaglesfan127, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hatfield73 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
I live just a few miles from the location you wrote about, and find your encounter very intriguing. I have seen, and heard of many other strange things from this area. Most of the encounters retold to me were from highly respected and earnest people. I have to say that the residents in these parts are very practical and intelligent, most of which I have known my entire life. What most people wouldn't understand without knowing the people in this Region is that they wouldn't make these things up.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Mreaglesfan127: I found this story about six months ago. The story plus the added info from the comments make this one of the best things ever posted here. Please update if you're still out there!
kandykyd1982 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-28)
Hi! I just ran across your post! Very creepy! I was born and raised in Pike County and I am a McCoy lol Descendant of the McCoys of the feud. I would love to go Ghost Hunting over there and if those shadow figures ARE McCoys, I would LOVE to find out!:-) The feud was a bloody mess between both families and as I seen on your earlier post, they tied 3 McCoy boys to the pawpaw bushes and killed them because they murdered Devil Anses Beloved brother Ellison. They just made a movie but a lot of it was inaccurate. As far as deformed people watching up in the woods, that scares the hell outta me! That sounds like some Hills Have Eyes stuff! Yeah Pike County is crazy but WV has crazier places! 22 mine Road (Mamie Thurman), Moundsville Penatentary, Trans Alegheny Mental Asylum, Matewan (Matewan Massacre)... So many to name. I also think Bobby Mackeys Music World is in WV but not sure, might be KY... And you will NEVER catch me around that place lol! And also commenting on your earlier post, Yes the Hatfields and McCoys still argue to this day! This was proven to me over the past couple days with personal experience haha
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-10)
I am from Breathitt County Kentucky... And we have had many fueds here to. A documentary is coming out on the bloody Breathitt feuds here. So this really interest me. I have many stories to about many things around here. I have an opinion about the shadow figure. I think that spirits or ghost who have done evil things in this life, may be cursed to spend their time on earth in the very spot were they have done their worst evil deed. Sort of a way of torture, to make them relive it over and over and never forget it. If that were the case he would have boundaries he couldn't cross in order to make sure he is constantly reminded of his evil deed. I know in most cases spirits can go from home to home with someone if they choose to follow them. I think he definitely did something very bad. Maybe check and see if anything in particular happened in that very spot or near that spot.
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
[at] Javelina

I get where you're going at now 😊 That is very creepy a Twilight Zoneish!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
Mreaglesfan,
Perhaps I should explain my previous comment.
In the experience that Skitty related to, her grandfather was a lineman. The deformed looking "creatures" that he and his crew observed as they were working on the electrical lines, seemed to be paying an extremely intense amount of attention to what he and the crew were up to. They didn't mention seeing any "normal" looking residents of the hollow among them. And the one time they were approached, they disolved, or disappeared as they were retreating.
The comment that I quoted of you telling about the night the electricity went out in your grandparents cabin caught my attention mainly for the fact that it was only their cabin that was affected.
In Skitty's grandfathers experience, they seemed to be learning about electricity. In your experience someone, or something seemed to be manipulating the electricity...
That's where the theme music comes in.

Just a thought. Sorry, I do have a habit of going on about things.

Jav 😊
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-05)
[at] Javelina

No I don't really know anyone from the McCoy clan. My grandparents do, and are friends with them. The feud happened so long ago it is really almost forgotten. Like me, I could care less if someone was a McCoy, I owuld have nothing against them. But there are some people I hear about that still argue about the feud.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
I was just going over our previous comments. Since Skitty posted what she had learned from her phonecall back home, there is one comment you made that adds a whole new chill to what you have experienced on your visits to Picklebean Hollow.

"One night fog rolled in from the mountains out of nowhere and the electricity went out only at our house. Then my family and me heard the front door open, we went to see who came in, but nobody was there and the door was wide open."

When you read that after reading what Skitty wrote about what her grandfather saw? 😲
Queue the theme music from "The Twilight Zone".

Jav ❀
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
Mreaglesfan127,
Just out of curiosity, are you aquainted with any of the descendants of the McCoy clan? It would be interesting to hear how the two clans relate with each other after all these years. Of course, I do realize that all of that took place long ago, so maybe it isn't such a big topic of conversation. However, as you can see by the interest it has generated here, many of us see that fued as part of our American history and, dare I say, culture.
And as I stated earlier, the entire story just fascinates me.
Thank you,
Jav 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
skitty: Thanks for the info, it's pretty creepy!...I have to mention, my father, two of my brothers and my daughter's father are/were lineman also... Linemen are "manly men" πŸ˜† and not prone to fantasy, or hallucinations... I have a "crackpot" theory that because of their exposure to electricity, their magnetism is such that they have more frequent experiences...

Mreaglesfan: I'm really enjoying this thread... Being from Ohio, like Miracles, I've heard so many stories and actually met a couple of relatives of the Hatfields/McCoys...I agree with Miracles and Jave, curses passed down through the generations wouldn't surprise me a bit... As far as shooting each other, the families are way beyond that, but I don't doubt for a minute the tensions still exist πŸ˜†
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
[at] Miracles

You're right about my family having a lot of stories to be told. But I see your point and agree with you about the curse and such. I just can't get over the fact that this started out as a regular shadow story, and now we got ourselves a hollywood plot! 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
Mreaglesfan - I don't know that I'd call it "stupid." There have many cases of ghosts taking their revenge on descendants of those who they feel have wronged them in their lifetime. Curses passed down the line and all that. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that going on in one of the most well-known feuds in our history.

I would say, in your family, there's lots of stories just begging to be told πŸ˜‰ No sarcasm or "making fun of" intended here. Just complete sincerity. I live in Southern Ohio, just so you know.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
No worries! This one has my full attention, that's all.
I find the whole thing utterly fascinating. I just can't walk away from it!
Thank you.

Jav 😊
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
[at] Javelina

If I am reading Skitty's comment right, then both encounters happened on the same hollow. My grandparents house is directly across the street from the entrance to Picklebean Hollow. It is confusing and I hope this clears things up.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
Mreaglesfan127,
Did you just say that was right across the street from your grandparents? Do you mean the spirit you saw, or the event that Skitty described?
Both are creepy, but you know what I mean. 😲

Jav
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
I want to thank you all for your comments. This is turning into something bigger than seeing a shadow figure, which is all I thought it was when I told this encounter. It all sounds so crazy (but I believe it) with the "Hatfield-McCoy feud" and now with the "Deformed things" I got some exciting things to look into when I go back there for spring break!
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
[at] Miracles

That is a possible. It's either there's a barrier or the old Hatfield luck! 😊 It sounds stupid, but maybe the McCoy's are trying to get revenge? But either way, there is something very strange going on at Picklebean Hollow...
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
[at] Skitty

Oh my goodness... That scared the crap outta me! To think that that happened right across the street from my grandparents! I'm going to be so scared when I go back there for spring break!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
Mreaglesfan - I agree with Jav in that there could be a protective barrier in place and that is why the being couldn't get through.

I just got through reading your other story that Moongrim provided us the link for. Taking that story into consideration, as well as the Hatfield-McCoy feud, and I'd say someone went to great lengths to make sure your family was protected.

It would be interesting, though, to find out who, how, and when because I'd want to make sure that protective barrier didn't ever fail.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
[at] Skitty,
Well that was about a 9 on the Creep-O-Meter. Yikes! I know it all sounds too weird to be true, but for some reason, I believe it. You just don't make that stuff up out of nothing. It isn't like any of the horror films that have emerged in the last ten years.
Just creepy as all get out.
Thanks for adding that Skitty. Certainly gave me the chills.

Jav 😨
Skitty (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
When my grandfather - my mom's dad - came home from WWII he got a job with Appalachian Power. I remember that their office was in South Williamson right on 119. It's long gone now, but my grandfather worked as a lineman for them for many years. As a lineman he and his grew laid power lines in some pretty remote and rustic areas back home from the mid-1940's until the early 1970's. One of the places they went was Picklebean Hollow. My mom remembers a story he told her about something his crew saw while they were working their. He said that they would see people around tree lines that would stand and stare at them while they worked, but he said these people looked awful! They had huge eyes that sat way up on their heads, sort of in their foreheads. He also said their heads were weirdly shaped and their ears were terribly deformed. But it was the lurking in the distanace he said that bothered him the most. Apparently they were extremely antisocial and never spoke. He told my mom and her brother that their crew supervisor tried to approach these people one day but the people saw him coming and as he approached them they just sort of dissolved into the woods! They were there and then they weren't! My mom said he talked about this encounter several times through the years, shocked as he was by the whole experience. She also confided that her father didn't think these people were actually humans. What he thought they were he never said, but my grandfather was an honest church-going fellow and I believe his story.
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
[at] Skitty

You have just caught my interest. Please respond soon!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-01)
Skitty,
I'm with granny, any new information about all of this has me interested as well.

Jav 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-01)
Skitty: Could you fill us in on some of what your Mom said?...I'm interested 😊
Skitty (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-01)
When you said your experience happened in Pike County you had my full attention. That's where I'm from and considering its a pretty out-of-the-way place I was definitely intrigued. When I'd finished reading your entry I called my mother and asked her about this hollow. Her response chilled me.
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
[at] Javelina

Sorry I didn't exactly answer your questions! I got caught up telling another story! But my grandparents just deal with the ghost by not going out at night. And yes, almost everyone in my family have seen this thing. It's gotten so serious my grandparents don't let us go outside hardly at all anymore! They are pretty scared of it...
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
[at] Javelina

Well everyone in my family has a paranormal story to tell. I don't live in Pike County but visit there with my cousins on our school breaks. It really creeps us out because something very strange happens everytime we visit. One night fog rolled in from the mountains out of nowhere and the electricity went out only at our house. Then my family and me heard the front door open, we went to see who came in, but nobody was there and the door was wide open. I can't get over the fact that it might be a McCoy ghost out for revenge! I'll have to run that by with my grandparents since they live there. (Sorry for the long comment!)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Mreaglesfan127,
Yep, that'll about do it. Oh Brother, I do not envy your position at all. How do you deal with something like that? How do other relatives deal with it? Has anyone else reported any sightings?
This has me thoroughly interested now!

Jav
Mreaglesfan127 (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
[at] Javelina

I don't know how much you know about the Hatfield-McCoy feud. But there is one interesting fact I think I should mention. The Hatfield clan tied two McCoys to a tree and murdered them. That sort of thing could really lead to a "spiritual backlash" I think. Thanks for your comments.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Mreaglesfan127,
When you really think about it, it seems too easy. But, considering it was a "blood fued", the answer could almost be nothing else. The spirit not being able to enter the property doesn't necessarily mean it was stuck in it's own area though. To me, it seems more likely there has been a protective shield put up around your grandparents property that keeps it from entering.
It's the most well known "blood fued" of the new world. It's only natural to think there would be some spiritual type backlash. Maybe your grandparents will know and share more if you confront them with these ideas. It certainly would make for good reading.

Jav 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: