You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Commercial Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Commercial Ghost

 

Before I begin, foul language is hard to avoid for my experience because it is essential to the actual dialog, I have abbreviated words that are not allowed. I have only experienced what I believe to be a ghost only once when I was 12 years old. My old house had a finished basement which my brother (10) and I used as our play room.

Foul language was very discouraged in my house so my brother and I would cuss as much as possible when my parents were not around, cussing at the TV was normal for us (we were weird kids).

One night while playing and watching TV in the basement with my brother, a toothpaste commercial came on. I cannot remember the brand of toothpaste, but I do remember everything else. The woman was talking about how the toothpaste was good for her family's dental hygiene and how it was changing their lives. My brother burst out "F*ck your family b*tch!" I started to laugh but the woman on TV looked straight at him and said "Excuse me?!". At this point we still thought that something might be happening with the plot of the commercial that would make her say that and I chimed in "Your an ugly w*hre" to make my brother laugh, but to my horror the woman then turned and glared at me and sternly asked where our mother was.

Now, I would like to say that we had a come-back, but honestly we both just froze and stared at the television. The woman looked down and began to cry, holding her hand over her mouth and glancing at us, she suddenly looked like a worn out, beaten woman and the shiny, commercial lighting was gone, for lack of a better way of explaining it, she looked 'real'.

This all happened within about 30 seconds, then the commercial ended. I remember my brother cried afterwards and I told him to settle down, we were glued to the TV for hours after to see if the same commercial would come on again and this time we wouldn't say anything to see if it was just a coincidence, but it never came back on.

I'm not saying it was a ghost, it could have been a coincidence, but I know I never saw that commercial again and my brother and I both vividly remember it and bring it up often. Thanks for the chance to share my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Darick, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Michelle_McEl (1 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-05)
I know this is 13 years ago but I just recently heard this story read on the Paranormal Portal podcast last month.
This is a great story, I was hoping the comments would be more interesting, like reports of similar experiences not about how kids shouldn't swear. Useless discussion about this story:/

Anyway, I'm sure Darick has long moved on from this site, but can't help but wonder if that scared him and his brother from ever swearing (at least at the TV) again. 🤔

Darick, if you're out there... Let us know!
girlymadness (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-15)
Of all the stories I read on this site I've never heard of one like that. It's definitely interesting.
Ps.You really shouldn't swear.
erin19 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-08)
Wow, that's really scary! I would of told my parents! I would of fliped! 😨
AngelofDarkness (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Wow that's scary but intresting I would be really scared if that happen to me 😨
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-26)
Can't help but feel bad for the ghost yet still funny. Bet you didn't see that coming huh? Probly best to watch what you say. She might do more then just cry.
sarah12375 (2 stories) (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
aww the poor ghost 😢 That's really strange though really cool and quiet funny at the same time.
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
Darick,

I believe in your ghost story. Why? I don't cuss all the time but if you read my story under Minnesota the title is "I Thought It Was My Sister." I learned my lesson not to scared my sister with her headless doll when she was using the bathroom. When we were little, we always scared each other so much and that's what I get for scaring her and my brother. Cause sometimes you do it too much a demon may clone the same exact things what you are doing. I don't know if you're still cussing or swearing today while watching T.V., for me I stop scaring people, especially my siblings. Every time my children tried to scare me or their siblings, I tell them "you better not scared each other because a ghost scared me once and I thought it was your aunty."
Lozza_08 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
OMG that was soo scary I would never watch tv again! 😨 maybe the tv was cursed I don't know but you scared meeeeeee!
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Dear Darick,

Despite the fact that I stated that your story was not true, I am not the final judge. It is but my opinion nor am I a judge. It is up to you as the author and experiencer to believe in yourself and your own story in spite of what I or others may think, judge or have an opinion about. The final interpretation is always your interpretation.

It is a little hard to believe in someone, believe in their belief or believe in their story experience if they do not believe in it within themselves.

My advice to you is that you believe in yourself and your belief and stand in it if you really do believe in it. If you decide to change, then do not be so inflexible that you stay in some belief you no longer believe in. Change is difficult, but it can also be very rewarding and many times well worth it. You can always go back to the old way of a belief, but I doubt given time you will want to.

Despite our differences, I do wish you well and thank you for teaching me more life lessons I also needed to learn.

May you be met with many pleasant journeys and roads that will take you to places you have never been. Learn, grow, make mistakes, get stuck, wake up, change, go forward 5 steps, fall back 2 steps, fall down, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, go forward 4 steps, and never give up.

Believe in your life and live your life as you believe. Blessings, Abby
Darick (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Well, it seems my story has been put into the category of 'False' which is ok with me, I was very young at the time and even now I wonder how much of it happened and how much has been exaggerated by my brother and I over the years. The reason it has stuck around still is because we were both there. Its one of those moments that I would definitely go back to if it were possible, but until the invention of a time machine I have to hold on to what I remember.

The best part about sharing this has been talking to my mom about her ghost experiences which seem so much more (for lack of a better term) normal. I will share her experiences later, thanks for reading and commenting.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-22)
Abby, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who spotted the similarities. Thanks for concurring with me. By the way, I loved your "screen reviews" at the end of your last post. Made me laugh out loud!
Annie
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-07-22)
Hi Abby, hehe, yup we got sidetracked (sorry Darick) but you were sure to the point when it comes to your opinion on this story 😉 Well, we're each entitled to our opinion. I have a hard time with this story also, it is just so... Difficult to swallow. Only the author knows for sure. If it realy happened, he can at least take comfort in knowing that it was one of the most original ghost experience imaginable.

About the bad language debate, well, written language should always be more polished because it is going to be read by a large public and I have made my decision that I wanted a polite web site with a certain level of respectable exchanges. But between friends having a beer, if someone shouts something vulgar (yet contrastingly funny) at the TV, I don't mind it, personally. But you're right, I wouldn't want this site to be overrun by people using foul language, as it would dumb down the discussions and attract the wrong crowd.
Abby (710 posts)
-1
17 years ago (2007-07-22)
Dear Darick and Martin,

Darick, I went back and reread your story, and I reread all of the comments, as well as my own comments. I also took into consideration our dear webmaster, Martin's (who works very hard on his site and selectively chooses, screens, proofreads and corrects the mistakes of the ghost stories submitted) latest comment, input and personal opinion of which I value, respect and appreciate, even if we agree or do not agree. With that said, I would also like to remind Martin why this site's once freely open comment section was turned into a partially closed, only sign up and e-mail address required site and comment section. It was in part, due to people who poorly chose to frequently use profanity as a means of written communication of which you chose to censor by deleting the profanity on a very frequent basis. After backtracking, rereading and taking into account others' comments, I have come to the realization that it was I who was responsible for sidetracking the story with my comment. I apologize to the author and readers for doing so. Setting aside the sidetracked issues and differences in regards to that of age, generation, gender, taste of humor, etiquette, manners, protocols, and even types of screened movies, personal opinions, and the focus of fussing on cussing, it all boils down to the main focus being on Darick's story. It is after all, when all is said and done, about the story and about the reader's comment in the comment section. Thus, to the author, Darick who basically conveyed to me in his own words that he likes things short and sweet (to the point), and to the dear readers of this site, my comment on Darick's story is as follows:

"This story is not true..."

With this final comment said dear author, Darick, webmaster, Martin and readers, I take my leave, Abby

LATEST SCREEN NEWS: GHOST STORY & MOVIE CRITIC & HUMAN HYPOCRITE, ABBY says: This story is too much like a rip off of the movie, "Pleasantville" and has all the coarse, dark humor of the sequel volumes of "Kill Bill". It is pure "Pulp Fiction".
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-22)
Dear Annie,

I agree with you that this story sounds too much like the movie, "Pleasantville". It is what I thought prior to my written comment, but I did not state it, and I had wanted to, but Annie you had already did it for me. Thanks, --Abby

Please see above comment that follows in regards to movie, "Pleasantville" and this story.
purplequeen12 (2 stories) (69 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-21)
Oh My Gosh, this is so funny but scary! Love it! Love it! Just amazing! But also very unbelivable. 😁
Brian07891 (21 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
This story is Hilarious! You were some funny kids... Cursing is fun when your a kid but I never did it to the TV, cause it wouldn't respond... Lol but not in your case
Martin (602 posts) mod
+2
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
I think there might be a generational issue over the cussing thing, maybe a gender one too, as it was done to a woman on TV, but I don't see what the big fuss was either. I think children will always be fascinated by anything that was overly forbidden by an adult, to test the waters and see for themselves what's it all about. If his parents weren't so dramatic over it, they probably wouldn't care as much. When you're a kid, you don't understand all those mental boundaries that adults seem to artificially create, especially if they don't even try to explain them in a rational manner by respecting the intelligence of the child ("because I say so" never worked for me).

Also, most kids go through a phase of using such language, until they grow up to realize it just makes you look uneducated and vulgar. Anyway, Darick, I personally think it was hilarious because of the absurdity of the situation. You watch uptight, not so genuine human behavior, in that commercials and your responses was so over the top (but a lot more genuine) that it made me laugh. Such commercials using so much polished artificiality probably deserve it. I guess that kind of humour isn't for everyone.

I also think "etiquette, manners and protocols" aren't as important to younger generations as it was to the previous ones, which may explain that whole discussion. It's one thing to have an uneducated "Jerry Springer" trashy crowd using foul language and digging their own cultural wasteland, but it's another to use it at times to be funny because it contrasts with the situation. When you don't take it too seriously, as the younger generations do, it loses its negative power and that's probably a good thing. For example, Quentin Tarantino uses a lot of the N word (for black people) in his movies, but it is done in a way that it's so diluted by black characters among themselves that it is rendered inoffensive, which is his goal. It's vulgar, yes, but vulgarity is better than really hurting people with the power of a dramatic word.

Sorry for the long rant Darick 😉
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
Dear Darick,

My first original posted comment was directed to you, and my second comment was directed to Miss Lexiluca. Sorry, if there was any confusion and you may have taken my post to Miss Lexiluca as a post directed to you.

If you don't know why there is a fuss over cussing, then it is pointless... To fuss about your cuss regardless of what age you were then and now. By the way, the reader per your story would not have known your current age. I am perhaps, 2+ to 3 times yours and TV was in its infancy. It was not said that you were mentally disturbed. I am happy to have provided the word, "taboo", at least it shows some of my crazy got through to you.

I am confused, as I do not understand how you can say you appreciate my long responses, but honestly you can barely understand what I am trying to say. How can you appreciate what I say, if you do not understand it? Now, I do not understand what you are trying to say. Though, yes you are right on all counts I am smarter beyond you (very possible), crazy, and not able to get my point across when writing. Either way, I will keep it coming.

As for your story, I will be direct, it was somewhat unbelievable, but possible. As for cussing if you missed the lesson when you were young, did not understand what my comment was meant to convey, then perhaps when your own children are in their formative years and are teens you will hopefully have a better understanding or not.

I am certain you grew up to be a fine young man and not a woman or a "she" to be proud of regardless of your past and cussing, but I already knew, and you are a "he". Yet again, the reader of your story may not have known, as it was not conveyed in your story nor does your name or its spelling indicate gender.

I am sorry you do not understand me and can't quite find the label in which to mark me with and which box I fit best in. But, if you have any questions or help you might need in the future, I will try my best to accommodate and clarify if I can. Blessings to you and your family, Abby

P.S. You are welcome. I apologize for my long windedness, but I do not apologize for who I am. 😊
Darick (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-20)
I don't know why there is so much fuss about the cussing, I'm 26 now, that was almost 14 years ago, I wasn't mentally disturbed to be cussing at the TV, its just something my brother and I did to make eachother laugh because it was so taboo at the time.

I just told it how it happened, it doesn't make much difference to me whether or not people believe it, I'm just glad my brother was there because I probably would have played it up to a dream if he hadn't been.

I have 2 more ghostly stories from my mother's experience that are far better than mine, I will tell them when the mood strikes me, thanks for all of the responses.

And to Abby, I appreciate your long responses, but honestly I can barely understand what you are trying to say, you are either smarter beyond me (very possible), crazy, or not able to get you point across when writing. Either way, keep it coming.

P.S- I'm a 'He'

Thanks!
Darick
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
This sounds too much like the movie "Pleasantville"...Not to be rude, but I'm having a hard time buying it. 😢
Abby (710 posts)
-1
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Please excuse me dear Darick,

Dear Lexiluca,

I cannot speak for anyone else in regards to your post, but I would suppose since you have chosen to mention some of the points I have obviously made within my own response comment to Darick, your response in my opinion is more directed to me. Thus, I shall respond (most likely against my better judgment and much to the amusement of those who like gladiator sports and their bloody results).

Honestly, I don't feel that my comment was one made to attack Darick or as you stated in your own written words, "Don't attack her". As you stated that you've been there, I also have been there, as I stated in my own comment, and I was also saying and showing that there is also a better alternative or choice. I also do see the age and generational differences, but I do not sense, feel or see core difference in human beings. I do sense, feel and see that I have struck some deep chord within you though. I have learned from my own experiences that as human beings, we choose to defend those we feel we have something in common with, have had some lasting emotional, physical or spiritual imprint left upon us or as you say, "you've been there".

Thus,in my own personal way, I can understand where you are coming from though only you know deep down why this did strike a deep chord within you. That I can't answer nor can I defend myself with words, because this is not my responsibility nor does it belong to me in order to do so. It is up to you decide. It does not matter what my comment states, how it is written, what it conveys or even what I mean to say, it will always boil down to your own personal interpretation. My comment was my own personal interpretation and was meant for Darick. I actually, do empathize with you and your stated comment, as well as I do understand what you have said. I respect your right to your own opinion. However, I do not agree that I was attacking Darick. All I can do is suggest that you please re-read my comment while you also step outside of yourself for a moment and see if the interpretation might be somewhat different to you. I appreciate your candid response and view and am sorry you felt you had to counter anything.

Darick, I would also welcome your response, since after all it is your page, and I apologize for monopolizing it. Thanks, Abby
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
I'd like to counteract the statements against her and her brothers usage of swear words, I understand that profanity isn't very well accepted to some people - but there's some things that you're just never going to understand about human psychology, and her brother and her found it to be fun at the time - and I'm not saying it's right, but I've been there. Youth nowadays are very different than youth backintheday. And yes, of course we should all lead simpler lives, but we don't. So - there's no use in forcing it. What should be suggested is an appreciation for the simpler things. That's all. Don't attack her. She's just telling a story.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
😨 Oh good God I would of run the heck out of there in a flash!
You are lucky anything else happened!

best of luck, neivy
Abby (710 posts)
-1
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Dear Darick,

Honestly, I find your story a little over my own "outer limits" and even I wanted to change the commercial or TV station, --red flag. I was also somewhat disturbed about where you and your brother would come up with a thought pattern or idea to swear at TV commercials or at the TV. It may explain why some boys (maybe some girls) grow up to be men (or women) who will swear at shows, sports and and the like that are showing on TV? Don't get me wrong, I can understand going through a phase of using taboo words, but this was a bit commercialized, and makes me wonder even more about the younger generation who sit in front of screens or boob tubes. I probably sit in front of one, because I am a human, imperfect, judgmental, hypocrite reverting back into the younger generation and my generation's parental and technological mistakes. In my opinion, perhaps the human race should go back to being hunters, gatherers and an agrarian human made society. Maybe going back to the land and nature would help a lot of human made ills and eliminate the word, "busy" and other four letter words. A good day out in the field would help along with growing one's own food, hanging freshly, hand washed clothes on an outdoor clothes line, milking a cow, seeing a calf be born, baking homemade and handmade bread, washing one's hair in water from a rain barrel, swinging on a homemade swing, splashing around in the creek and just plain breathing fresh air might cure a lot of present day human made societal ills.

All I can say is that I agree with the commercial lady who looked like a worn out, beaten woman to you. Maybe she too wanted a more simple life, and maybe you and your brother could have used a simpler life right then too. As I was saying, I agree with the lady on the commercial, and I think you did too, because this lesson sure stuck with you if you took the time to write it down in a story. I don't think it was about the paranormal or a commercial ghost at all, I think it was about commercial words and choices. We all have choices to choose the words we use to communicate who we are as human beings. I do know sometimes it is more difficult to let our anger control us and allow words out of our mouths we should not say. Yet, written words have more of an additional time of thought before they are written, so it gives the writer more time to think before they write. Meaning they have more time to make the best choice when choosing words to communicate then say hitting your thumb with a hammer and then saying the first four letter word that comes to mind. The written word can be even more intentional. So one might want to choose carefully what they communicate in any venue, because despite the old rhyme about sticks and stones, and words will never hurt me, words can be just as intrusive and abusive as other forms of physical communications.

Now, this pause while we take this badly needed station break for a commercial...--Abby
monica5 (3 stories) (22 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
Well that is a first for me ever. I have never heard such a thing. I am still trying to get past you guys cussing in your spare time. Although you never know. I used to think as a child that the people in the Tv could see me until my mom said otherwise.
I would freak out if something like that happened. I would totally not believe what I was seeing and hearing, but I am sure if you both saw that then it is true. Do you think it was something to do with the house?
That is almost like the stories you sometimes hear of pictures with their eyes moving almost impossible to believe but you never know. Hey maybe it was sometype of gurdian angel trying to teach you a little lesson for your foul language especially if she were crying. Thanks for sharing, that will be one to remember.
m5
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-19)
oh wow!
thats so strange, I've never heard anything like this. But wow its a really cool story.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-18)
Yikes!She might be like your mother, or yall's garudain angel! Who knows?
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-18)
wow...that's weird... I am speechless because your descriptions of the commercial were so detailed that I could actually imagine it... All I have to say is...Creepy...

Ceary

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: