You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Comforted By A Ghostly Professor?

Real Ghost Stories

Comforted By A Ghostly Professor?

 

Just prior to my diagnosis with a serious chronic illness, I began experiencing some disturbing health events - seizures, muscle paralysis, acute body aches, randomly losing the ability to see and hear, etc. Most frustratingly, there was really nothing connecting any of the things, no pattern, nothing. All I knew was that something was seriously wrong with me.

Nonetheless, I was a senior in college, determined to finish all my classes and get my degree as planned.

One winter morning, I left my journalism class and headed for the women's restroom located on the same floor. I exited the stall and... Everything went black. I had no idea what was happening to me, only that I was surrounded by darkness, and I was more comfortable than I had felt in a long time, perhaps ever. It was as though I were lying on a bed of the softest quilts, relaxed, happy. Nothing bothered me in the slightest.

Suddenly I became aware of a woman's voice, telling me she was there and everything would be okay. As I was rather lost in a personal Shangri-La, I didn't really focus too much upon her.

Then, just as suddenly as everything else, I gradually became aware of where I was... Lying a nasty public bathroom floor, covered with winter grit. I even tasted a few particles of sand in my mouth. By then, paramedics had arrived. They helped me to a sitting position, then out into the hallway where they gave me oxygen. Later we would go to an ambulance and to the ER.

The following day, I returned to school. I wasn't sure of the details, given the experience I'd had. But I could swear that the woman who had spoken to me during the episode had said she was a professor in the building. I wanted to thank her for sitting by me and trying to comfort me during such a terrible moment of my life, so I checked the office doors on that floor, looking at the nameplates.

There wasn't a single oman's name, only men's.

Is it possible the female professor was from another floor or department? Of course. But at that time, I was an English and journalism major - both departments were housed in the same building, and neither was too large. I knew basically every professor, at least by name and sight if not by experience. The voice I'd heard belonged to no one I knew.

Also curiously, no one who had seen the incident - and of course, a student randomly keeling over and needing EMS had certainly attracted a few onlookers - was able to tell me about any woman sitting with me.

It's been over a decade since this happened. I've had my share of ups and downs with my illness, but never again did anything like this happen. Nonetheless, I've never forgotten it.

(As a bit of history, the university is the oldest in CT - it was founded in 1849. So I'm sure any number of educators and students have passed through all the buildings in the past.)

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, joannact, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
Thanks so much for sharing this experience! It's so refreshing to hear ones like these. 😁
ind_83 (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
joannact - wow your experience was thoroughly enjoyable, this incident proves that unknown ghosts/spirits (excluded our past family members/relatives) are not always menacing, wicked or scary. They are helpful also, especially in the time when people need any kind of help & support most.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
I enjoyed this account of yours joannact, it is good to hear an account like this every now and then.
I do honestly believe you were helped by a passed professor and as you mentioned something that was needed for you at the time with the illness and accident. I am glad whoever she was was there for you in you time of need. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
joannact (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-10)
[at] Argette - Unfortunately, no. But I've since learned to cope; after all, it's been a decade now, so it's quite sadly become the norm. I do like to think that perhaps the supernatural intervened when I was just "transitioning" into a life largely ruled by chronic illness, a little comfort and guidance, if you will.
Sumeettmokadam_1990 (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-10)
I don't know whether you believe or not, but the story you wrote is nearly same, means it happened to me also.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-09)
What a charming story! It went right into my favorites. It conjures up a vision of a spinster professor, perhaps lonely in a mostly-male domain, using her latent nurturing ability to help you. It is a lovely picture.

I hope you are in good health now.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
joannact - thank you for submitting your story. I thoroughly enjoyed your story. I do believe one of the previous professors was with you when you blacked out. It doesn't matter if you ever find out her name, even though it would be nice if you were able to, that way you could acknowledge her in some way. But if you can't, I think she knows you appreciate her being with you when you needed someone.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: