You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Goddard's Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Goddard's Ghosts

 

I was a student in Goddard College's Creative Writing Program (Plainsfield, Vermont). I was working on an MFA and a novel. It was a low-residency program, which meant that every semester I would spend 10-11 days on campus and complete the rest of the work at home with an assigned advisor.

There were many ghost stories circulating: some were about Susan Martin, a witch; suppossedly the beam she was hanged on was now part of Goddard's garden structure. There were also stories about the runaway slaves: the property provided secret hideaways for the runaways. There were even stories about Robert Frost's ghost which is said to haunt the place where he wrote some of his famous poems.

One night, after intense studying, workshops, readings, and writings, beat, I undressed and climbed into bed. I closed my eyes, and something nudged me awake.

In front of me was a bed. I had opted out of the roommate arrangement, and had the room to myself. At least that's what I thought. Instead, there was a silhouette before me. Scared, but curious, I said,"hi." There was no answer.

Everything was dark except for the figure. I couldn't see around me, but I felt that there were more spirits in the room. They appeared to be unfriendly. It was as if they wanted me to leave. I did. I ran into the corridor. No one was around. I sat on the couch in the day room and tried to make sense of the encounter. I was afraid to go back into the room. A couple of hours went by and I heard a door open. It creaked, like someone trying to be quiet but the wooden door and floor betrays them. I was relieved to see a dorm mate hurry by to the bathroom. I didn't tell her about my experience with unwanted visitors. She went back into her room, and I decided to return to mine. I turned the light on in my room and after reassuring myself that the ghosts were gone, I fell asleep. The next day I had a ghost story too. And mine was real. It inspired me to write a short story, "In Her Image."

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Vermont

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, susankingwriterx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
Interesting account and no doubt it was frightning at the time. How did it seem unfriendly? Was it because of its appearance or movements? Sounds as though there is lot of dark history related to the building, I am also curious if you experienced anything else whilst staying there. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
susankingwriterx,
Well, I had no problem understanding your experience at all. Since you were there for creative writing, I assume the story you were inspired to write from this incident was fictional, correct? My question is, did you ever investigate what had occurred in your room at all? If so, what, if anything, did you uncover about it? If not, why not?

Jav
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Yeah I agree with sds you should have wrote what happened further with these half informations no one can judge your experience.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Susankingwriterx, did you experience any further incidents? Was it the only time you had such experience in your room. Surely you must have stayed there for next few days. If you had experienced any further encounters, that could probably throw more light. I am not skeptical and won't say that it is not a paranormal experience. But with only one incident, it is difficult to believe that way. Please inform us about any further encounters during the period in that room.

Regards,

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: