You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Toddler Sees Things That Frighten Him

Real Ghost Stories

Toddler Sees Things That Frighten Him

 

My son is almost 3 years old. About 2 months ago he started screaming off and on during bedtime saying that he sees "birdies". At first we thought this was a ploy to stay awake longer but the way he cried definitely had a "terrified" tone to it-not just a pretend cry. Sometimes it will happen before he falls asleep, sometimes it will happen during the night. He does experience night terrors from time to time but I definitely know the difference and his behavior is quite different in the two events.

These "birdies" seem to scare the daylights out of him and he begs us to tell them to go away. Sometimes we have to tell them several times to leave but it seems they do, and then he goes right to sleep and is fine. His eyes also follow the "birdies" around the room.

Now the situation has evolved more because yesterday DH, myself and DS were snuggled in bed in my room and my son keep saying "scarey". We asked him what was scarey and he said "scary girl". We asked him where is the scary girl and he pointed to the corner of my bedroom. This was in the middle of the day and he was wide awake.

Here are the other details to consider: I saw ghosts when I was a child. I remember it very vividly. It happened more than once and it terrified me. My grandmother saw visions and had "psychic" dreams. Her father had various "psychic" abilities which included being able to make objects move (I never saw this as he passed before I was born but my father and several family members claim to have witnessed it). I also have a 5 year old niece that claims to see "scary people". I have felt uneasy in this house, like someone is watching me, and strange things do happen here such as loud noises, doors opening etc...

I am very concerned that my son is seeing ghosts/angels/spirits etc... And I don't know what to do for him. I'm not sure if this is just a child's imagination? My mother is concerned he has a mental illness. I would really like to hear from others that have knowledge of similar events and get some feedback. Quite frankly I'm freaking out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mama2lucasriley, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

tattletale (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-25)
I finally joined this site after I read this, lol. Though I probably won't be very helpful.

I can tell you're an amazing mom. It sounds like you've done everything you needed to do! It's really hard to tell if what a small child is perceiving is real or not, though it is obviously real to them!

As for the birdies thing- sometimes when you're tired you can begin to 'dream' before you're asleep. It's really classified as a form of hallucination, but it's nothing to be worried about. He might actually really only be seeing birdies but the unnaturalness of it alone can be frightening for a small child, I'm sure.

The 'scary girl' comment does sound a bit menacing admittedly, but it can be along the same line of thought. Small children can be more focused on how somebody is acting (their personality and intent) rather than their physical appearance. The strangeness of the apparition and lack of friendliness from the waking dream might be what's frightening him.

Perhaps he does have a mental illness. I have some experience with young children who are mentally ill but that's very difficult to diagnose in a young child. It's just not very evident. Look for other symptoms such as whispering to himself or playing very unusual games.

Also consider having him do his routine eye checkup and mention this disturbance while you're there.

If it is truly an entity bothering your child then I would suggest trying a few different things to ward off spirits depending on your feelings on the subject.

My suggestion would be introducing a sort of white noise. Not some creepy screechy sound, but something beautiful and relaxing. Secondly a bell. The sort that rings or jingles. Even a chime will do. Something your child can play with preferably.

My most important suggestion is (next time this happens) to ask your child if there is anything you can do to make him feel less afraid. Make sure that you, yourself, do not act like this is bothering you even if it is. He will be much more frightened of the event than he would be otherwise.

That sounds very simple but perhaps there is an object in his room that is the source of the discord. Children are more perceptive than adults in regards to some things.

It might be as simple as removing a poster from the room. Whatever it is, as long as it is within the boundries of reason it doesn't have to make a lot of sense as long as it makes you both feel safer in your own home.

Good luck! ❤ ❤ ❤
sheena (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
my three year son could see ghost sometimes he would get up in the middle of the night and cry, then when I clam him down he would show me where the ghost and how meny of them, then I call my priest and he said the ghost is trvellas he said they came to take a life then he bless the house but my son still sees them outside
mama2lucasriley (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
Updates:
First I want to say THANK YOU for every comment! I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this situation with me.

We have taken DS to the doc for a check up and he is completely healthy. Doc says no indications of autism, mental illness etc... She says he is very advanced for his age socially & mentally so I guess that's good. Although she doesn't believe in this type of stuff so she automatically attributed it to active imagination...

LOSTCROW: My son did go through a very traumatic illness over the last 10 months but he has been better for about 3 months now and these "episodes" started about 2 months ago so I don't know if that event could be linked to this?

ZETA: I am freaked out because I am his mother, he is still a baby (just 2) and I don't know how to make it better or explain it to him in a way he can understand at 2 years old. What parent would not be freaked out by their child screaming in terror? Also, by "mother" I mean step-mother who does not believe in any of this and thinks our family have wild imaginations...

MIZMIMI02: interesting suggestion with the birds-never thought of that but it does make sense. Thank you.

Thanks for the suggestion of the white vinegar with sea salts. I am in the process of completely stripping down his room, cleaning it top to bottom and doing Rooks cleansing method. Hopefully this will help.

Also, I don't think it is night terrors or night halluciations as things have evolved into him mentioning things during the day when he is completely awake. This morning he told me very matter of factly that the scarey girl was here and that she was screaming. He also said she was wearing clothes. I tried to press him for more info but he is 2 and got distracted by a toy.

I continue to be appreciative of comments/suggestions. Thank you all so much for your help!
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
My daughter had night terrors and they really were terrifying for all of us she would wake up screaming bloody murder and Iwe would bolt into her she would seem awake and she would crawl up us away from the spiders or snakes that were in her bed... I got her a large dream catcher this one had chimes on the end of it and we would ring it every night before she went to sleep it worked a treat I told her nothing could get passed the magic of the dream catcher she believed it and everyone got some sleep again... You could try this if it is his imagination it might help. Best of luck ❤
paranorm12 (11 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
i think your son is trying to wind you up. Maybe he does see stuff, but I my brother says to me that there's is a spider in my wardrobe, I hate spiders, and I don't touch it until it is gone.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Personally, I don't think your son has a mental illness. I agree with Shamby about the other indications not being there for a mental illness. With that being said, it never hurts to get a physical done on your son. Your son is at an age where his innocence hasn't left him yet and that's why he is seeing what he is seeing. If I read your story right, then I think your son has being passed the gift from your family. Rook has posted his cleansing method here, I think you should try it and keep us updated. I have personally tried it and I know it works.

God Bless, Good Luck and we will be keeping you in our prayers.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Hi Mama, I don't think there is anything wrong with your son. Try Rook's method, as he has explained and it really works. And your family history suggests that every one has the ability or sensitivity to see or feel paranormal entities. If your son is having problems, at this very young age, about what he is seeing, then it is for you to drive any scary or negative energies/entities away. Rook's method is useful, helpful irrespective of your faiths.

Try it out. Hope things would get better.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
I thought I would chime in here. When I was very young, I began "seeing" things, and my parents weren't to happy with me as they thought I was lying. My first thought is that this type of thing runs in your family, and your son has this gift. 2nd-Please keep in mind that at his age, most things that are unfamiliar and a bit "odd" can be labeled as scary. It might be scary because he hasn't seen this girl before, or perhaps she is appearing how she died, and isn't able to appear and ask for help any other way. 3rd-I don't believe your son is menatlly ill, I think that whatever is trying to get in contact with him is using the birds as a means to comfort him before the appearance. They might not realize that the birds are scary to him instead of being a comfort or amusement. He is associating the birds with them appearing, and because they scare him the birds scare him. Does any of that make sense? In any event, I think that maybe you should ask them not to appear to him anymore, until he is old enough to understand what it means and decide for himself. If you are really concerned, then Rooks method is the way to go. I have learned to adjust to what happenes, even though it sometimes means them giving me a fright! Good Luck to you.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
There is nothing wrong with your son 😊
He could teach him that these things can't hurt him, tell him how strong he is, because you won't always be there when these things happen, if he can make them go away himself it will most defenetly reduce his fear and boost up his self esteem.

All the best ❤
supernaturalservices (86 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
First thing I would recommend is making sure that he is mentally alright. Get him checked. If no problem can be found then some basic things to do are put bowls of white vinegar mixed with sea salt in his room and let it evaporate, refill as needed. Also teaching him protective prayers like the Saint Micheal prayer as well as psalm 91 and 71 and others read out loud will help cut down negative manifestation.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions, I do believe your kid has a gift, and it may require training later in life.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
A couple of things concerned me with this story. First of all, it sounds as if your family has a history of "seeing" or being insightful as I like to call it. Why then would it freak you out so to know that your son has been passed this ability, gift, some might call, curse? Secondly... Why then would your mother think he has a mental illness when "seeing" paranormal is nothing new to your family?

Thanks, zeta.
LostCrow (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
oh! And a question... Did any surreal event occur around him to heighten his emotion? Any events of negative or positive... Think back before it started, a memorial event which any be surrounded by just daily life.
LostCrow (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
I just looked up in google -_-' and I think the conditions are similar so http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Child-Behavior/3-yr-old-Child-Night-Hallucinations/show/278741
Check it out. Plus try to take a family vacation or something, just getout of the house and see if the condition changes or stays. All in all, focus on your son for a few day, just observe his behavior and reactions. Document the time of occurrence and ask him to describe to his best of what he sees exactly. See if there is a pattern or condition of fulfillment for it to occur. Of course if he gets too scared take him on your arm show him that you are their to protect him.
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Mama2lucasriley,

Your son is not mental. The only mental disorder that delusions and hallucinations (like a birdie or a scary girl or even aliens, whatever) would be schizophrenia, which is genetic but keep in mind that it does not show itself until the teenage years. If someone tells you that it is because of autism, I'm quite certain they'd be wrong as well because his language development would be way off and he probably wouldn't be speaking at the age of two. He would be missing other important milestones as well.

You mentioned that so many people in your family have this gift, that's more likely. And its nothing to worry about! He will learn and adjust as he gets older. And if he doesn't have the gift, young children are really susceptible to the paranormal. My nephew did the same thing when they lived in their old house (which was haunted, you can read about that in my story, My Brother's House if you're curious) but Jay, my nephew, grew out of it. He doesn't even mention the paranormal anymore. Sometimes they do have a gift and sometimes its simply because they're innocent.

Everything will be okay:] There is a whole community here with tons of knowledge backed by personal experience.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
I'm afraid JessicaWishon1989 is in error when she says he is too young for mental health issues. This could indeed have a medical explanation and I would encourage you to discuss these issues with his paediatrician and seek a referral to a child psychologist if his paediatrician thinks that would help. Other than that, I think it's good you are listening to him and not discounting what he is telling you. Try to empower him by letting him know these things can't hurt him and he can tell them to go away and leave him alone.
mama2lucasriley (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Thank you all so much for sharing your stories and ideas. I really appreciate it! I will def. Try the cleansing suggested by you, Rook. Jessica, I really appreciated your story and can see some similarities between your brother and my son. I hope that we can get a better grip on this... I will keep you all updated. Thank you again!:)
teenagewitch21 (5 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
i had to read this story, my daughter sees things like this in her room too. Well I say she sees them but I very recently tried the cleansing that rook has put and it, so far, has worked I defiantly recommend it.
Thanks for sharing and good luck ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
mama2lucasriley,

Please try this...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
Hi mama2lucasriley,

Seeing the history of your family when it comes to the supernatural it is not surprising that now your son has got these gifts to. You could speak out loud and tell the spirits to stop scaring him. They tend showing them selfs how they died the last time and ofcourse this is not something we want to be a witness of. From the time I was able to see them I said: "i don't mind you guys appearing but please get over your old stuff and never bother me with it" This seemed to have helped because I still see them feel them but they always look normal.

Peter,
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
He is 3. He is too young for mental issues. Mental issues are created through Life experiences. No one is born Mental. Or at least I don't think so! He could be like my baby brother who is now 12. But Ben has been seeing and hearing, feeling and talking to these "things" since he could talk. Ben might even have seen them since Birth, But we didn't know until he could tell us, a little after 2nd birthday. Ben still sees and communicates with the dead on a regular basis. He is what is known as a psychic medium. And boy have I gotten a lot of answers to a lot of questions with the help of Ben. Your son might be frightened because He does not know what they are. You can clearly tell that he knows the difference between real and not real. But he doesn't know what to make of these "not real" beings. So to speak. He knows what a real person looks like, and these "birdies" appearing to him may not be people at all. If anything, I would fear that the "not so nice" side of the paranormal have come in to contact with your son. The same thing has happened to Ben, when Ben was about 4 or maybe 5. He would complain of seeing scary things. And when the complaints of the scary things came around, Ben's attitude sort of (changed) He would be very bad. And throw fits and not listen to our parents. He was be a very bad child as far as behavior. But never acted this way in public. Only at home, where we assume the bad people would come and stay. Anyways... If this persists, you might assume your son has the gift. But it may go away after all, toddlers and youngsters are susceptible to these things. That we all know! Good luck. Also, if this never changes or gets more common or worse as he gets older, You may have to accept the same thing our family had to, the fact that Ben has a gift is a given. And we've had to learn to always handle it. And be supportive for Ben as these things never went away. And like I said he is 12 years old now. And too young to be considered an innocent youngster.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: