You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Underground Railroad House

Real Ghost Stories

The Underground Railroad House

 

It all began when I was 7 or 8. My parents wanted to move out to the country so we moved to the outskirts of the small town called Hollansburg. We came up on this house and it was absolutely beautiful, like one of those houses you see in books that everyone wants to live in. We went inside and looked around we went down into the basement and it felt absolutely creepy. In the back was an opening and when my dad looked inside you saw part of the underground railroad and all you felt was someone watching you, but we thought that maybe it was the feeling of being in a new house so I didn't think anything of it and we went upstairs and into the second bedroom. When we went upstairs we saw that the house had an attic so we went inside it and it was absolutely creepy.

Well I was watching TV one night and I was just sitting there when all of a sudden the TV got turned off. I didn't think anything of it so I turned in back on. Not 2 minutes later it got turned off and the room got very cold. I was getting ready to turn the TV back on when I saw what looked like a person sitting right next to me so I jumped up and went into my room and never came back down.

While living in that house I witnessed my hallway light being turned on and off, there were pots and pans being messed with in the kitchen, I heard old time music and people talking in the basement and my brother actually witnessed a blue ghost when he threw pennies at it. It was always scary doing laundry at night because you always had the sense that someone was watching you and it was very creepy feeling.

One night my dad had some friends over and went down into the basement and walked into the section where the haunted railroad was and all you felt was this dark presence where all you wanted to do was run away, which everyone did.

We really didn't know anything about the house but all I know was that I did not want to sleep in my bedroom because my sister had told me that one night she had gotten up to go to the bedroom and when she got back my bed was levitating in the house.

One day my mom was in the house and she was watching TV and she had said that the ghost was turning it on and off and she wasn't thinking of it but she said "Stop it, Frankie" and it stopped. So at least we knew that the one of the ghosts' name. After that it was peaceful for a few weeks and thought maybe they would leave us alone but that was far from it.

One day mom had a friend over and she was talking to her and my mom looked over and saw a little black girl and she appeared to be playing peek-a-boo. Well, that was the last straw and we were getting ready to move out when the landlord told us that she was putting the house in the Historic Society and that not any children were allowed living in that house.

Ever since that house, no matter where we have lived, we always see spirits and even as I type this right now I am hearing voices and bangs. I did some EVPs and found out we have 5 ghosts and that at least 3 are good and 2 are bad so I am waiting for them to communicate with me some more, but as far as I know I haven't been physically attacked. I know that wherever I go the ghosts will follow me and I am not scared of them because as long as you don't mess with them then most likely they won't mess with you.

I hope you liked this story and I want hear some of your questions and I will answer back:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hauntedlife19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hauntedlife19 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Sorry everyone for the late reply but I will respond to each of you individually.

[at] southerntk- In response to the "Frankie" name she didn't know why she said that name but she told me that she felt like someone was saying that name to her and then they quite the noise is how I think she knew the name.

[at] DragonStorm80 -When you walked down into the basement and you walked to the doorway and looked inside you knew that it was not an ordinary railroad and the landlord told us that it was, in fact, part of the Underground Railroad just to clear things up.

[at] MizMiMi02- Thank you for your comment. It's a wonderful house to have lived in and if ever you would travel over to the house (its a tourist house that no children can live in) you go downstairs into the basement and you go to the other side of the room and you can look in and see it (:

[at] sarah84- Thank you soo much for the wonderful feedback! No there was no bad wiring in the house to cause it and I'm glad to know that this is one of your favorite stories (: Not all the ghosts in the house are bad just I think curious of us people.

[at] zzsgranny- Well there were entryways that would lead into a tunnel and they were bricked up to prevent kids walking into it but when you looked in you had the sensation that something dark was watching you while you were either looking in or if you were doing laundry. And the last time I talked to the landlord they had historians that were actually going to open the tunnels and look inside to see what they find so hopefully they do find something!

[at] Argette- It might be but I was not brave enough to look in and investigate it but it is quite possible and if so that would be wonderful to know I was sleeping next to a cellar that contained a hideout place for the slaves.

Comments are greatly appreciated and I enjoyed responding to them! (:
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-30)
It's very possible that a little black girl could have died there. The underground railroad passages were very hard to travel and especially for a small child. It could have gotten sick and died when they stopped to rest and get food. The child may be playing pranks like the turning off of the t.v... I'm sure that many people succumbed to the harsh trip and enviroment of the travel through the underground railroad and the escape to freedom. It's very likely the basement or cellar was a place for them to gather and treat wounded or sick slaves. A very interesting house to live in. I attract spirits too and would have seen and heard a lot of stuff there I am sure. I believe your story also but I too wonder about the bed levitating. Odd stuff can happen to get someones attention though. How did your mom come up with the name Frankie?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-09-29)
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-29)
"In the back was an opening and when my dad looked inside you saw part of the underground railroad"

Could be misinterpreted if not meant to be an actual rail road, but... Yeah sounds like what they meant to me dudette
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-29)
[at] Dragonstorm,
I got that impression from the story as well. I don't know if she meant it to sound that way or not, but it wasn't an actual railroad, it was just called that. An escaped slave or slaves, would be helped along the route by abolitionists sympathetic to the cause. The route taken was through every kind of terrain imaginable, rivers, mountains, farmland, etc. They would travel mostly at night to avoid being seen and they travelled mostly foot. No trains, carts, ferries or boats. It was the route they travelled and the places they were able to rest and be fed by those who helped them along that was called 'The Underground Railroad'. Code named for secrecy I imagine.

Jav
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-29)
wikipedia sys: The Underground Railroad was a network of secret routes and safe houses used by 19th-century black slaves in the United States to escape to free states and Canada with the aid of abolitionists and allies who were sympathetic to their cause.[2] The term is also applied to the abolitionists, both black and white, free and enslaved, who aided the fugitives.

That being said, why would someone build a house over old tracks and lay foundation over them to build the house on?

This story kind of sounds like a mixture of the movies "Insideous" and the "paranormal activity" series to me... Just saying.
celeste1 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-28)
how come your mom came up with the name Frankie all of a sudden?
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-28)
I know exactly where Hollansburg is, about an hour from my house. I don't know of any house in Hollansburg that is a designated Underground Railroad house. However, I'm sure there are far more houses that were involved than we can imagine or will ever know about.
I have asked my husbands Aunt (she owns an Underground Railroad house in Indiana) if she has any information about an Underground Railroad house being there, as she is very active in the preservation of any houses belonging to the Underground Railroad.

PS Pardon my repeated use of the word Underground Railroad, but I couldn't use the first letter of each word, as it kept telling me not to use text talk. Lol
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-27)
What Granny said. Because it was not a railroad. It had no tracks. Just secret rotes, hiding places and good people.
sarah84 (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-27)
I really liked this story so it is going into my favourites:) .

Could it have maybe been bad wiring making the lights and tv play around, being an old house and all.

Your sister said that she saw your bed levitating? Maybe it was because she was half asleep and therefore causing her to hillucinate.

Other than that I think that you had genuine spirits in your house.

Stay safe
Blesed be ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-27)
haunted life: Could you please describe what the "underground railroad" looked like?...I'm just wondering what clues were there that led you to come to that conclusion... Thank you!
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-27)
The Underground Railroad was a secret system of paths and hiding places, often in houses, where runaway slaves could hide out as they made their way to freedom in the North.

It certainly is possible there was a hiding place in the cellar.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: