You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Man Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Old Man Ghost

 

I never had any ghost experiences until I purchased my first house. I will be the first to tell you that I love a good ghost story, but I have never been "sensitive" to ghosts or spirits.

I purchased a townhouse in February 2000. Settlement was on a Friday and that night I had my family and friends over to help me move my belongings in. My boyfriend decided that night that he wanted to move in with me, so we moved his belongings in that weekend. By Sunday night, most of our things were moved in and put in there proper place. He worked nights from Sunday through Thursday. Sunday night he left for work and I spent the evening putting away some more of our things.

I finished up and went to bed around 11 that night. I had met the neighbors on both sides of my house and they were very nice, but elderly. I was laying down in bed and heard the very distinct sound of someone running up and down the stairs. I immediately thought that I was imagining things, especially since it was my first night alone in the house. I didn't recall hearing anything on Friday and Saturday night! So surely, my mind was playing tricks on me. But the sounds of someone running up and down the stairs wouldn't stop. I somehow worked up enough nerve to check the house, and nothing was out of place and no one was there. But I remember the noises stopped once I opened my bedroom door. I went back to bed and as soon as I laid down, they started again. Of course I thought maybe it was my neighbors, but they were all elderly and definitely could not run up and down stairs. By elderly, I mean they were all well over 80. And I did ask them about it the next day, and they all said the same thing, they could barely walk up the stairs let alone run up them. I told my boyfriend about it and he thought I was crazy.

The next night, shortly after 11 pm, I went to bed. Again, as soon as I laid down, the sound of someone running up and down the stairs started. I was home alone and scared to death. The noises continued all night and I finally called my brother. Fortunately he only lived 3 miles from me and he came over with an arsenal of weapons. He thought maybe someone broke in the house and was determined to find them. I had locked myself in my room and sat at the window waiting for him to pull up. When he did, I raced down the stairs and opened the door. He checked every inch of that house and could not find anything. He left feeling certain that the house was safe. While he was there, nothing happened. No noises, no sounds of someone running up and down the stairs. I was beginning to think I was crazy. As soon as he left and I went back to bed, they started again. I finally went into the hallway and said aloud "Look, I don't know who you are or why you are here, but I have to work in the morning and you are keeping me awake, so between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am you need to be quiet so I can sleep". The noises stopped and from that night on, I never heard them during the hours 10 pm and 7 am.

Even though the noises stopped during the night, weird things continued to happen at that house. I have so many experiences and so many of my family and friends were witnesses to the weird happenings that went on in that house.

I truly believe it was all the same person/ghost that was behind all the strange things. I never felt threatened by this presence and in some weird way, I think he was just letting me know he was there, and I felt safe. Like he was watching over me. I did do some research on the house and was able to find out that the man who originally owned the home died in the home, of natural causes and he was 79. I have always wondered if it was him.

I will post more of my experiences soon...

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, karebear0115, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-13)
karebear,
This is probably going to sound strange but... Well, this is a ghost sight so maybe not. Anyway, as I was reading along, I got the distinct impression that this man didn't like the fact that you were left home alone at night. Believe me, I know what it's like for you as my husband works graveyard shift and has for several years, so I don't believe these were my own feelings that were coming through here. But it is weird for me to have thought that.
Other than that, I do like the way you stood your ground with him. That was very smart of you. And seeing as it worked, there must be some satisfaction knowing he wasn't trying to scare you off.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
Hello karebear0115, nice narration and thanks for sharing. I initially thought it was something residual but decided against it since your brother's presence made the encounters stop. So, it couldn't be residual. But, if you feel insecure or if that is a negative energy, try Rook's method of cleansing. It really helps. Also, keep us informed of your further experiences. Well, if you feel that it was the old man, who was living in the house, probably his spirit must be having the same feeling that he was living and please make him realise that he has passed on by loudly telling him and try to guide him to light. It might be a little difficult to make him believe but with patience and time, it could work.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
That's actually very sweet! It probably is him, just looking over his house and letting you know he was there. You might want to try talking to him more and see if you can get him to "cross over" - even if he's a kind spirit everyone deserves peace eventually. Thanks for sharing your story! (& congrats on the house!)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: