You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: House Hopping

Real Ghost Stories

House Hopping

 

This all started in Newport, AR when I was only six years old (I'm currently seventeen). This first part was told to me by my grandmother who is the biggest skeptic you will ever meet when it comes to believing in 'ghosts'.

My great grandfather (on my mom's side) died years before I was born and his pictures around the house had been replaced so I had never seen him before. My house was right across the street from my grandmother's and surrounding our houses was a large field. Many times I would go play in that field and my grandmother would watch me from her living room window or sit on her porch and watch. She noticed on more than one occasion I would talk to myself and look towards the sky as if someone was standing with me and I was looking directly at them. Finally one day she asked, "What are you talking about when you're out in the fields?" I can't remember what she said my reply was but it suggested that I was talking to a person and not myself. Later that week she pulled out an album of pictures (included one of my grandfather) and without her having to say a word, I pointed to him and let her know that is who I was talking to in the fields.

Although I don't remember this happening, I do remember one thing from it I think. I say 'I think' because this part is just difficult for me to sort out in my head. For as long as I can remember, I've had this mental image stuck in my mind. It's me as a kid sitting cross legged in front of a window (in the house that was across from my grandmother's. It's no longer there but the lot next to where it was is now where my mom lives) and I'm looking out into the field (now the exact spot where my mom's house sits) and there is a man standing there. Just staring at me. He's not walking around, he's not smiling or waving, he's just standing there with his hands to his side and a blank expression on his face. I've spent years trying to decide if it's something I've actually seen or if it's from a dream. I do feel that it is my grandfather, though.

When I was thirteen my mom was taking classes at the local college and one of her classes was a night class. I have a sister who is five years younger than me and when this particular instance occurred, she was with me. We were both home alone and mom was still in class. My sister and I were in my bedroom when we both heard what sounded like heavy footsteps in our laundry room then the loud distance sound of a light switch flipping on. We were both terrified and quick shut and locked my bedroom door then called my mom. I frantically told her I thought someone was in the house and she needed to come home right then (not sure why I didn't call 911). She called her dad and had him come over (gun in hand) while she tried to make it home as fast as possible. No one was in the house but one of our bedroom lights had been turned on like I heard. I'm not sure how to explain what happened but it sure did scare me half to death.

My fourteenth birthday rolls around and I'm sitting in the den late at night watching TV. Everyone else is asleep and I'm laying on the couch with all the lights out except one bedroom light so I could make it to the restroom if need be. From the angle I was at, I couldn't do the bedroom's doorway but I could see the outline of the doorway on the floor because of the light. Sorry if that's confusing. I'm watching TV and without any reason really, I just glance over in the direction of the bedroom and I see this shadow being cast onto the floor as if someone was standing in the room. It starts out small then grows bigger, like if you were to walk closer and closer to the doorway then it stopped and began to shrink like it was walking back away from the doorway. I was stunned. All I could do was stare wide eyed at the spot where I saw it. I was paralyzed with fear and every time I tell someone this story, they just know I'm telling the truth. My hands and voice start to shake and that same fear I had that night just overcomes me.

At the same age, I had two of my friends spending the night. We were all laid up in my bed with no one else around and all the TV's and lights had been turned off. By now I had done my far share of watching shows like Ghost Hunters and I decided I wanted to do my own investigating (which I later found out only entices spirits). I had a voice recorder and we were all taking our turns asking random questions. We didn't hear it at the time but after going back and listening to the tape, we could hear what sounded like a little girl humming a song. It went on for a solid five seconds and really couldn't be explained.

At the age of sixteen, I was living with my dad in Cabot, AR. Things still happened even after I moved away from Newport. TV channels changed on their own, my dog staring intently into the air at absolutely nothing (sometimes barking and throwing a fit) and whispers when I was alone. I really thought I was losing my mind and I refused to be alone. I'd sit outside on my front porch all day to avoid being in there by myself and, of course, my parents never believed what I was saying.

I'm now seventeen and living on my own in Poughkeepsie, AR. My grandmother on my stepdad's side lives directly next to me (about twenty feet away) and the house she is staying in is where we found my aunt had died in her sleep back in May from lung problems. I've only been here a month but I'm still so nervous about encountering something. I feel like I'm being followed and I'm constantly looking over my shoulder because I can feel eyes on me.

If things do start happening again what should I do? I'm starting to reach the end of my rope.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kbc_95, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Thanks for sharing. I can feel your angst if you know what I mean.

I would like to suggest rookdygins very effective shielding method which he has very graciously permitted me to provide.

Please read the last few lines first as they apply to you more accurately.

Rookdygins Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)
MJackson91 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
I agree with RedWolf, if they were there to harm you you wuld probly already have had signs of that.

I myself have had my fair shares of living in "haunted houses" and I have came to the conclusion most spirits or ghost just want to be noticed and maybe a little bit of enteraction.

Thanks for the story I really enjoyed it 😆

You should go check out my stories wen you get a chance...

-MJackson91
kbc_95 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
RedWolf- I suppose it's not the I am necessarily afraid that they will harm me but more of the fact that the unknown worries me.

Shlain- The thought crossed my mind that maybe he is just keeping an eye for me. I'm going to ask to see a picture of him and see if I recognize him:)
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
RedWolf, kbc_95

Do share the story of the ghost in your basement!

Kbc_95 -It could be your grandfather that returns as your guardian spirit. Does your mother or grandmother still have the picture of your grandfather or great grandfather? Maybe you recognize him.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
kbc_95
Since you have had encounters with spirits since you were a young child and nothing harmful or threatening has ever happened I say do nothing. You are a sensitive and spirits may be drawn to you. You had several experiences that have frightened you but you are young. The child humming on your recorder was interesting but not threatening. Keep an open mind and a journal. Some spirits turn on lights to get your attention or might not have even realized they did it.
I grew up in a haunted house and the ghost in the basement didn't like me at all, but I survived and so will you.
Regards
Redwolf

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: