You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: How I Became An Achluophobic

Real Ghost Stories

How I Became An Achluophobic

 

I was confused. Whether to write or not. I felt the guidelines not so persuasive for anybody to write it up. Even though I am a grown up now, I was a teenager when this incident occurred in my life, the incident which turned me into an achluophobic, erytophobic bloody boy. Still at the age of 25, I am still haunted by the memories of that particular incident.

I was second son to my parents and was about 12 years of age when this happened while we stayed in a hill station in India. My home was one of the twenty similarly built houses in a colony which was designated only for Govt servants.

It was placed amidst a plantation of well grown Eucalyptus trees. Those trees always give me creeps as its half lost skin reminded me of burned human body. I was not sure why I fantasized them as half burned flesh. It may be because I once watched a human body being cremated. All those evening mist, mint flavored scent of the wind and distant howling noises from the nearby plantations added a horror atmosphere to the already deserted land.

In my house, I and my brother were tucked in beds which were kept together in a room while my parents slept in another room. Even my brother was 5 years elder to me; he was very younger than me in certain aspects.

Out of which the most bizarre one is that he used to howl at night if the power was cut. He knows it as the bed lamp which shall be kept on for all night long would go off. Black out was a normal phenomenon back there in those days. Day time was the most favored time for them (Electricity Authority) to cut the power, but they did often it at night as well. This unusual habit of him made me uncomfortable from time to time. No matter how hard I tried, still couldn't get used to it. When he did that, as often he did, I curled more under my blanket and stayed like a corpse. I couldn't end this para without mentioning about the bed lamp. It added the last flavor for the horror atmosphere. A red and orange colored light as backdrop. What else would more suit that situation? Every night when the tube lights were shut off by my parents, I watched the mist flowing through the open window with the distant howling noises in background. While the scent of Eucalyptus hits my nostrils, I hit a high and get dissolved in the red light. It was then, when this scary thing (lamp) goes off, he would start off his howling beating the one that comes from outside.

One night, as usual we were tucked in by our mom. She covered the mosquito net over our beds. It was required for anybody to sleep in those areas otherwise these humming creatures would literally take you out of where you are lying to any other place. Those days I used to stay awake longer at night. I used to play with my arms as I can see it clearly in the light from bed lamp. After a while I slipped into deep sleep.

In my dream I was traveling with my family in our Ambassador car. Me and my brother on the back and my parents on the front. My father was driving it through some unclear but similar areas. Momentarily I realize that we are descending through a steep road. The car was gaining speed as it descends the hill. All of a sudden I saw a person lying on the ground. I was frightened as we saw him at a close range and before anything could happen, our car drive through him. I watched in horror as the all the leaves on the roadside turned red and I couldn't raise my voice nor had the courage to look back. But my brother looked back and shouted "He is okay, He is okay. He waved his hand to us".

The next thing I knew was I am awake and still in my room with my brother with the bed lamp in background. I was sweating from the fear of the bad dream. Suddenly my brother wake up and moved the net by his side to come out. He walked around our beds and made a stop nearby the switch board. It was near to my head side. I was relieved to see him as I was still under the after effect of the dream. I asked him to switch on the lights. I asked him once, twice and again. I could see him from the red light from the bed lamp. I asked again. "Brother. Why are you not switching on the lights? Is there any problem?" He was just staring at the switch board and stood there without looking at me. A quick action was felt on my side and I turned my head to watch the most dreaded scene in my life. My brother was lying beside me covered with his blanket. I was shaking, shivering, struggling to catch my breath, all at the same time. I didn't had the courage to look again towards the head side. I curled into my blanket and was praying to the God with whatever chants I knew at that time. I never slept for that night and got up only when I heard my father speaking with my mother.

Still after about 13 years from the incident, I get uncomfortable Goosebumps while I think about this incident. Later I tried to figure out how or why it could have happened to me. Who could be that? I went into a research about paranormal activities and psychokinesis effects. I cut out the possibilities of still being in a dream as I didn't sleep for that night after the incident. Again the chance of it being a hallucination is absurd, as I looked at him and I could clearly see him because of the light from bed lamp. The only thing I am sure about is that I had seen a bad dream that night. And while I wake up from it, this thing walked away from me. I felt like Satan walking away from me.

In any way I am happy to accept the outcome of the incident. Even if it made a coward, I became more close to the concept of God. A God fearing coward. To be honest, I like that tag.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, benhur, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
Okay.Reading all the comments, I can see that nobody had any questions related to your brother. 😲

You said whenever there used to be a power cut, your brother used to 'howl'?...So was it only you who used to hear that howling or even your parents heard it?...If they didn't,didn't you inform them about your brother?...Did your borther used to howl in a human voice (being in sense) or he sounded like...well...a wolf's howling?...Could the paranormal encounter that you experienced be related to your brother?...Did you tell/ask him?...What was his reaction to that? I am extremely curious about these questions so please let me know.
zombie_killer_of_india (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
As you have said, you were not hallucinating. My preference is that you saw the dream in presence of the creature, who perhaps wanted you to be awake sleepily perhaps to lure you. I have read this luring type stories in this site and that also in hillstations which are mostly hauted. It was good that you are a light sleeper (who is little awake and has presence of mind).
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Well, benhur, if you felt very negative then odds are it wasn't an OBE you witnessed. It may truly have been an evil spirit or even some sleep residue. Let me explain that, as it has happened several times to me. Once, I was dreaming that as I lay abed, I was surrounded by aliens (typical greys), and I forced myself awake only to still see them! Boy, did I scream! And they were still there! So I kept screaming. My young daughter and son ran to my rescue - only there was nothing there. Sometimes, even when awake the 'dream' can keep playing out, kind of like a halogram. Not a very satisfactory answer I know, and you did say that you had ruled that out. Which only leaves the not so comforting negative energy theory. And, that I don't feel qualified to pose any reason as to why or how it came to you. Since so much time has passed and it hasn't reoccured, I say count your blessings. There are many others on this site with far more knowledge than I,and maybe they can pose some theories.
benhur (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
[at] valkricry - Not sure about OBE. Even if was, why should it have occurred at the very same moment when I wake up. Later when I thought about it, I felt it like a bad energy or some sort of thing. Do you have any information about negative energy or such aspects?
benhur (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
[at] Hades666 - I was more like a confused child those days. I never felt it like to discuss with anybody in my family. I knew that they will never take it seriously. But once, my brother had overheard about it when I explained it my friends.
benhur (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
[at] GreyFeather - Who could that be? In fact 'what could that be' suits more. Even at night the scary bed lamp gives me a clear picture of my room. I could easily see my bed, blankets and even my GIJOE's kept over the table in the light. The thing looked like my brother itself. I was sane enough at that age to identify him even at any darker place than my room.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
I can't say I blame you for being afraid of the dark after that type of incident. Far less has been the cause for many others! But I wonder if maybe what you saw was your brother having an OBE?
Hades666 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Great Story! And I also want to say that you are not a coward, if anybody else was in your position they would have also been scared out of their wits, so infact you are quite brave. Just wanted to ask though, did you ever mention this incident to your parents or anybody else?
GreyFeather (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
That would have creeped me out, too! Did you try to find out who it was?
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
What a Creepy experience... I would of been Terrified if I seen that!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: