You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Hellhouse

Real Ghost Stories

Hellhouse

 

Ever since I can remember I have been prone to feeling psychic energies, the good and the bad. My friends tell me I have the uncanny ability to read people without as much as speaking to them. This ability is especially observed in my mother's family, both an aunt and two cousins have declared to seeing, hearing and feeling some things quite beyond the veil of the living.

I grew up in a town called Worcester, in the Western Cape. Settled between mountains it always reminded me of a witch's cauldron, extremely hot in the summer, and freezing with snow on the mountains in the winter. We lived in a large house on the foot of a mountain in an area called Panorama.

Let me explain the layout of the house: The front door was situated at the end of an enclosed veranda, and led into a long foyer with a large open planned dining/sitting room area. To the right further down the foyer were french doors leading to a large TV-room, entertainment area with a bar, kitchen, study and large master bedroom. I always felt safest in this area of the house, most likely because it was a newer addition. The rest of the bedrooms were situated at the end of the foyer, that turned into a long hallway, with the first large on-suite bedroom at the start of the hallway, and the last bedroom across from it. My bedroom was the first to the left when turning into the hallway, and used to have a window facing outside, but after the additions, it faced the entertainment area. When we moved in (I was about a year old) My mom thought it the best room for a baby/toddler,as it was also the smallest bedroom, but when we moved in it was a ghastly purple colour.

I have no recollection of what happened there until I was about 4 years old. I was told I was always a quiet baby, I had to be woken up to be fed. But as soon as we moved into that house, and my mother left me in that room, I used to scream and cry non-stop. The result was that I slept in a small room connected to the master bedroom. So for years I was quite content. I always avoided the other side of the house, never venturing in the hallway. My sister, who is 12 years my senior, stayed in the large en-suite bedroom, and always complained to my parents that something was off there. She always felt watched. Now, my mother is quite a practical, no-nonsense woman, and told her to stop seeking attention. Naturally, she thought my sister put me up when I said I also felt uncomfortable in that area.

Fast forward a few years. When I was 5 years old it was time to start pre-primary, so my parents said it's time to move into my bedroom. The small bedroom was in about the center of the house, being built around it, yet the light from the entertainment area was enough to make one forget the window wasn't actually facing outside. I remember vividly not wanting to go into that room, the negativity was such that I struggled to breathe. So I avoided it until I had to go to bed. I used to sleep with the bedside light on, and always drew the covers right over my head, come winter or summer, and I used to pray until I fell asleep. Yet the negativity never relented. Now being alone on that side of the house, my sister used to come fetch me during the night and we'd sleep together in her double bed. Her room didn't feel as oppressive, but uncomfortable in the sense that something was always watching you, making the hair in your nape stand up together with goosebumps. And the shadows would move around all night. I used to wonder why there were so many, seeing that I couldn't ascertain where they came from.

My mother's family used to come visit over Christmas, and my two cousins would sleep with my sister in her room. One particular night there was a loud bang, like a window being knocked out, and then the screams. My sister and cousins ran out of the room. After they calmed down they said they were awakened by the bang and then all three of them saw a dark figure standing in the corner near the built-in-cupboards. It stared at them, then suddenly started laughing in deep, malignant voice. They got up and ran out. Of course, with inspection the adults found nothing. But after that night the negativity increased dramatically. So much so that I was too scared to even go into my room alone. My sister used to come in with me just so that I could get clothes, and then shut the door.

One night, when I was seven, my sister slept over at a friend's, and I was forced to sleep in that room. I awoke in the middle of the night with my heart racing, feeling ill and ice cold. Then, a few seconds later there was a crash as a stationary holder fell off my small bookcase to the floor... Then a few toy cars also made it onto the floor, like someone was swiping them off the bookcase with their hands. And then, a low, deep chuckle that literally made my flesh crawl. I was frozen, could hardly breathe, alternatively getting hot and cold. I just drew the covers more tightly and prayed. The next day my mother was quite adamant that I had a nightmare, and that the things fell because they were probably too close to the edge,

About a month later, my sister was yet again away and I had to sleep alone. During the night I awoke again, heart pounding, with a feeling of dread. This time I felt a presence, so malignant and evil I wanted to vomit. Then, I felt the bed covers move on my left (the bed was against the wall, with about 15cm space between.) I was facing the wall, so I slowly forced my eyes open and saw, quite clearly (seeing I slept with the bedside lamp on) a hand, coming up from underneath the bed, feeling up. It was grey-slightly green in colour, with long fingers. I started hitting it, and it felt quite real, hard. I heard a hissing sound and then started screaming bloody murder. My mother burst in a couple of seconds later and I just got up and ran past her. From that night onward, I refused to go into that room, and slept on a blowup mattress next to my parent's bed. After that night my mother simply removed my clothes and locked the room.

Years later I asked her what she saw, and said she didn't see anything, but heard something hiss and snarl and felt a very oppressive presence. Being a woman who always thought ghost stories were hogwash, and never really felt anything tangible before, she was quite terrified. For weeks thereafter our priest would come and even attempted a cleaning and blessing. My sister's room felt safer for quite a while, yet the negativity radiating through that one closed door only got worse. My parents never told me what the priest said about the whole ordeal, but years later I heard my grandmother say (as they discussed that house) that house is a portal to hell.

There has been many more experiences, in that house, and in another one in Worcester. But since this story is getting long, I'll leave it to another time.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jac006, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
The Fear Cage theory is interesting. I've never heard of that before. I'll have to google it when I have more time.
ghostfacep (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Yeah, in my opinion, if things got that bad I would not stay in that house but, would seek help before I went in there again.
VSAngels (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
I'm sorry this has happened! There is no doubt this is a demon. Use Rook's cleansing method and look into a priest too! Demons typically lose all power when god is brought in. Good luck and you can fight this! ❤
BeauZah (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Wouldn't* hiss* brings* sorry just found some errors. I can't help myself.
BeauZah (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Yeah i've heard the same thing guys, but the story was freaky I would have the courage to wack the hand, another on might grab me while I'm at it. BUT THE HIS IS INTERESTING there's a certain d*mon that sounds like that. And yes I didn't say the word properly, it bring there attention otherwise:)
LochKalten (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Sorry and I forgot to mention adding onto SmokenMirrors statement also. My apologies SmokenMirrors.
Cheers

Loch
LochKalten (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
I have to agree with Rookdygin. To respectfully add to his statement my Father is an electrical engineer and he deals around objects that emit high levels of Electromagnetic Frequencies. A lot of people in his workplace cannot be in certain rooms for too long as a result of EMF sensitivity. In the standard household the kitchen and Main switchbox emit the highest EMF, in the layout of the house did these occurrences happen near or around those areas? Also some theories state that in fact the high EMF's may also attract entities as they can draw from said energy "Sources".
Cheers Muchly

Loch
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
High Levels of EMF can work in basically two ways...

1) They cause physical effects to those sensitive to these fields... The individual (s) feel sick, see motion out of the corner of their eyes, feel as if they are being watch or as if there is a presence in the room. It can really seem like a 'true' haunting.

2) A Spirit has been attracted into the area of High EMF (a home for instance) or a spirit that was already present will use the High EMF in order to help it manifest...

It is very hard to tell one situation from another... Though I think EMF sensitivity can be tested for. I do think that one difference is objects being moved. Home Owners or Investigators may determine the difference if they have an 'interactive rapping session' (intelligence tapping answers to questions) and intelligent evp's are the first two things that come to mind in establishing an actually Haunting vice EMF sensitivity.

This is of course theory and opinion.

Respectfully,

Rook
jaxzen (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
I hope you can find out more about your house, but if not I know that sprinkling salt around your house can help keep away evil spirits
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
Hi Jac006. Firstly thank you for a very well written story.

I think the fear cage effect Rook has already mentioned might be a worthy explanation here. I had never come across it before so looked it up and found some interesting articles on it.

From the description of your room. "The small bedroom was in about the center of the house, being built around it"

The amount or electrical wiring that would encompass a room surrounded by the rest of the house, and especially next to the entertainment room would be a perfect recipe for a fear cage.

Yhe theory is also that spirits use electrical energy to manifest so the paranormal can't be ruled out either
Pikachu04 (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
It is quite interesting and scary too... Hope to hear more about the house
Sonty (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
Your experience was super scary. Specially where you felt the bed covers move. Must have taken your breath away. But I must say you are very brave. Had I been in the same situation, I couldn't have gathered the courage to open my eyes. Hats off to you.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
I can't help but wonder if by some 'freak' of building additions to the original part of this home that a 'fear cage' was not some how constructed.

Let me explain...

Most of what you described sounds like 'EMF sensitivity'. Some people are sensitive to EMF (Electromagnetic Frequencies) These are given off from Power Lines, Electronic Equipment, light switches and power outlets. So it may be possible... With the sensitives that 'run in the Family' that, with all of the additions to the home, the electrical wiring may have 'caused' a fear cage effect. You and your sisters sensitivity to these EMF fields caused you to feel the way you did... The feelings of dread, being watched, nauseous and even 'seeing' figures are all reported symptoms of EMF sensitivity and over time, because of the negative feelings from you and your sister, an entity may have been attracted into the home.

That's a theory anyway.

I'm going to sit out here on the fence with this one... See what the other experiences in this home were...

Respectfully,

Rook
sonal12 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Hey there! The hand coming up on you're bed part of the story literally did give me chills! Glad you came out of it. (:! Will await for more posts from you! Cheers!
Regards
Sonal (:
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Hello Jac006, thank you for posting. What a great story. I was on the edge of my seat and literally in that room with you. That's terrifying. I'm glad you could get out of there. Can't wait for your next post!
Amie_16 (2 stories) (104 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Hi Jac006! I like your story and the way you wrote each and everything and made it readable and understandable I'd appereciate your writing skills it's a well written story 😊

So, is someone out of your family still living there in that house? I'd like to read more on this topic if you could please publish other experiences as well...

Thanks and Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: