You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Breather

Real Ghost Stories

A Breather

 

I have always been interested in things paranormal, fiction or true. Occasionally I would hope I would encounter something paranormal myself, and now I believe that I have.

I live in a one hundred and thirteen year old house. My room is a "Man cave" that has nothing but merchandise and drawings. I spend about 15 hours a day in that room and won't come out unless I need to use the bathroom or get myself some dinner.

I live in a two-story house. My room is on the second story and the kitchen is on the first. I usually would eat at around 8:00 at night. I almost never leave the house to go to a restaurant, or go to the dunkin' donuts that is literally right across the street.

Now here is the situation with the ghost: considering that I watch and read so much paranormal movies and stories, I'm pretty disturbed going up my extremely steep stairway up to my "Man cave". I rarely go up the stairs without imagining a figure staring at me in either the stairway or the very short hallway going to my room. And nothing has happened until now.

One night when I was trying to sleep, there was a silent scratching against my window. I didn't make a sound to see if there was any more, and sure enough there was. There was scratching after almost every 10 seconds. I thought it might just be a squirrel considering that I live in a wooded area. But right then, I heard heavy breathing just outside my bedroom door. The breathing continued for a solid minute before it stopped, which left me laying there paralyzed in fear, staring a hole in the ceiling.

Nothing like the breathing happened since then, but something else did happen. Weeks later as I am slowly forgetting about the breathing, I would be going upstairs after dinner. Just as I would be opening my door, I would hear a long "Sssshhhh" coming from behind me. I turn to see nothing there but the dark hallway I'm standing in. I would then go into my room, shut the door tightly, and do what I was planning to. About two days later I heard it again, and then again a few days after. The last time it happened I got rather annoyed, so I turned around and said rather sternly, "No, YOU shush!" After that I never heard the shush, scratching, or breathing again.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Vermont

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DuskCruse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-10)
Hello DuskCruse, you were right about the shush part. Sometimes, it is better that we convey that we respect our space and need our privacy to the entities. It worked in your case. But in future, try to be respectful, I don't say that you were not in this encounter, polite and tell that you need your space and not to be disturbed. I feel that something might have attracted the spirit and without much information, it is difficult to state why. But still a good narration and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
Hey there! I wonder how you manage to stay inside your room for such long. Perhaps you show some extra ordinary interest in the paranormal while you're in your 'Man cave' which got the spirit's attention? If you don't live alone, did you inquire if others felt anything as such? I loved the part when you were clever enough to go stern on the "shhhh". Good story. Thanks.
-Shady
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
Hi DuskCruse,
Welcome to YGS! There is something I don't quite understand, and hopefully you can explain it to me. What is a 'silent scratching'?
Other than that, I found your account quite interesting. I was ready to put it down as just your imagination, because as you said, "...pretty disturbed going up my extremely steep stairway up to my "Man cave". I rarely go up the stairs without imagining a figure staring at me in either the stairway or the very short hallway going to my room." Ergo you are primed to make 'something' out of nothing... But (and that's a big but) you tried to debunk the scratching, didn't elaborate on the breathing, and the 'shhh' part made me giggle. I believe you experienced something. I wonder why you were being shushed?
Was anything going on that might have woken a spirit up? Renovations or something? Something brought into the house or from the attic?
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
Thats great! I love that you told it to shhh back. Sometimes it takes that to have it understand it needs to stop. I got a great kick out of that. Thanks for sharing your experience. 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: