You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadow Above The Couch

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Above The Couch

 

Corning California, age 12 approximately. I was staying over at my grandmother's house who is now passed away. Technically it wasn't a house but an apartment. She had just moved from out of town and was still getting settled so she had boxes throughout the place that were still packed with stuff.

I mentioned in my first story that I have a younger brother who plays really no role in most of my stories because I don't ever remember him having any kind of "paranormal" experiences. At least none that he ever talked about. At this time he was with my dad, who was separated from my mother but trying to get his life back on track.

Anyway, it was summer vacation and I thought that I would like to spend some time with my grandma. We always had a good relationship. She would take me to McDonald's and play video games and she always had sweets in her house. For the 2 weeks that I stayed with her, I helped her unpack and clean and we'd go to the movies or the park or what have you.

One night we stayed up on the couch a little late and watched a movie on VHS, remember those? Lol. I must have fallen asleep during the movie because when I woke up to go to the bathroom it was over. The TV was off and my grandma had gone to bed. I got up and made my way to the bathroom. After finishing up I headed back for the living room to the couch where I was sleeping.

Something that night stopped me dead in my tracks and, despite the fact that I had just gone to the bathroom, I almost went again in my pants. I get goose bumps to this day thinking about it. Standing over the back of the couch was this tall shadow figure. It looked to me like it was wearing a hat, not a ball cap but a more like a cowboy hat. It appeared to be leaning over the couch slightly as if looking down at something. That's when I really froze because the "something" it was looking at, was me. There I was, asleep on the couch but standing right there at the same time. I remember the shadow looking up at directly at me and just staring. I couldn't see any facial features but I could tell that it was looking in my direction. I could feel its gaze and it was cold. It started to rise up over the couch and then suddenly I was back on the couch, looking around frantically. Whatever it was, was gone now and there was only one of me.

I don't know if it was a dream or what but the thing about it was that I didn't have to go to the bathroom and I could tell that I did go because... Well I could just tell, you know what I mean. Aside from the room feeling a little cold and me sweating bullets the rest of the night went ok.

I didn't tell my grandma about my experience, I kept it to myself.

What do you all think? A dream or a ghostly encounter? Thanks for reading, look for my next story.

Other hauntings by Kiego

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kiego, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Wow that sounds cool, hope you had a great time. I'm excited to finally close up shop here for the fourth. I think I may treat myself and close the following Friday as well =)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Kiego - actually Mod Granny and I, along with some of our other YGS and personal friends, took a weekend vacation and visited Haunted Hill View Manor in New Castle, PA. Hopefully we'll have some stories on here in the next month or two LOL

But we are back now and intend to get caught up on the stories 😊 Thanks for being patient, everyone ❤
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Regardless, it creeped me out to say the least. Thanks for all the advice and comments. I'm hoping to post some more stories but at the moment the mods are busy little bees with all the stories that are out there. As soon as there is room I will post another one. Thanks again all =)
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Im not sure about the whole astral projection thing. I have looked into it and it doesn't really seem up my alley, however I do believe it could be a slight possibility. I may have to agree with Vakicry though. I could have been a dream and I slept walked and used the bathroom. It was so vivid though.
alexreed (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-27)
the apparition sounds like the urban legend "the hat man", look it up you may find a reason for its appearance.
PinkAngel (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Chary is spot on! I astral project all the time and seeing other spirits is completely normal. And so is spontaneously APing, so don't be afraid! Read up on AP to learn more and dispel any fears you still have. That's the best advice I can give you.:)
RevenantSyndicate (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Hello!

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother. I've always been very close to mine and I can't imagine losing her.

I believe what you saw that night was what many refer to as a shadow person. There are many kinds of shadow people and they are described in several ways as they can manifest themselves differently. However, I found a description similar to what you described.

"There are different types of Shadow People. The core, dominant experience is the nightime bedroom visitor: a tall silhouette of a man, often dressed in a coat or cape, and a brimmed hat. The figure is blacker than black and 3-D, obstructing light and blocking the view of objects. There are no facial features or eyes (sometimes red eyes are reported), but the experiencer knows he is being observed with great intensity."

I believe that this is what you probably encountered. Other sources say Shadow People that appear with hats are considered of higher rank than others of their kind. When a person sees a shadow person, they are often overcome by fear. However, shadow people are (usually) relatively harmless. You see, the feed off of the fear they cause their victims. Usually, they do not cause physical harm, however the stronger ones may do this occasionally.

As for your Out of Body experience, every one is capable of Astral Projection. Since you were younger at the time, it's entirely possible that you did this without meaning to and you saw the shadow person standing over you, as they often do that.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email us at RevenantSyndicate [at] Live.com

-Amzi
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-09)
Whatever it was, it makes a great story!
Thanks for sharing.
rynne (69 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-09)
Do you remember the movie you were watching as you feel asleep? That may have played a role in your feeling/experiencing this.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
Hey there! Could've been a dream or maybe your astral self? Well there are also chances of you walking around in your sleep, so while you were walking, you were still dreaming, happened to me a lot of times. Sorry to know about your grandma. Thanks.
-Shady
ghostly94 (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
It sounds like a really creepy out of body experience but it could also have been a dream or maybe it was both, if that actually can happen 😕 Still it must have been very scary.
Ghostly94
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
This sounds like a dream, albeit a very creepy one. You most certainly didn't die in your sleep. Thanks for sharing.
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
Well to me it sounds like an astral projection. In the state of astral projection you can actually see spirits because technically you are a 'ghost'. People astral project without meaning to all the time. Another possibility is that you died and then came back because the entity wanted you to live. Look into your past and the house's history and stay safe! Thanks for sharing!
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
Might have been a dream. Sounds like an OOBE. I'm sensing that if it was an OOBE, the experience was sent to you for some reason, like somehow you were meant to see that you were being menaced by something so you could be aware and maybe protect yourself?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
Kiego, I'm leaning towards this having been a dream. You may have gotten up and used the restroom without really waking up, and the dream merged with reality as it were. Still kindof spooky though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: