You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Boogeyman?

Real Ghost Stories

The Boogeyman?

 

I have been a regular visitor to this, I feel comfortable now to share my story with you, this will be the first story I submit.

The story I'm about to tell you happened a few years ago, I was 13 at the time, I am 26 now and this still haunts me to this day. I stayed with my parents in a quiet suburb in South Africa. I grew up in that house and my parents still stay there to this day.

I remember waking up in the early morning hours, feeling panicked and scared, it felt like someone was watching me, like I wasn't alone. I didn't move, but scanned the room with my eyes. I didn't see anything. I closed my eyes and prayed. Soon after I fell asleep again and didn't think much of it. A few days passed and nothing happened.

I then woke up again, with the same fear and panic, I looked around my room again and that's when I saw it. It was sitting on my desk in front of my bed. It was small, like a garden gnome, it had yellow eyes, sharp little teeth and pointed fingers. It just stared at me. I never felt so scared in my life. I screamed and my dad came to my room. As soon as he put the light on the creature was gone. My dad didn't believe me when I told him what I have seen, he thought it was just a bad dream. It felt so real, I know I was awake and I know I saw it and it saw me. I slept in my parents room for the rest of the night.

I was now scared to go to bed, to be alone in my room at night. I could always feel it watching me. It also started to scratch the underside of my bed at nights. I once again woke up and saw the creature sitting on my desk, he stared at me and smiled; the most evil smile I have ever seen. I was frozen with fear. This went on for years, my parents thought I had an over active imagination and watched too many scary movies and didn't take it seriously.

Whenever I saw the creature I just covered my face with my duvet. Prayed and hoped I will fall asleep quickly. It seemed like it didn't like that I ignored it and things got worse. I saw him sitting on my desk again, I just closed my eyes and covered my face, I knew he was still there, I could feel him watching me. I then felt him jump onto my bed. I didn't dare move, I have never been this scared in my life. I didn't dare look, I just laid there. I could feel him scratching my arm and I screamed. My dad came and put the light on and the creature was gone. I slept in my parents room again. The next morning I saw the four scratches on my arm, but my parents said I must have done it in my sleep.

I told a friend what was happening and luckily he believed me. He told me this thing thrives on fear and that I should sleep with a bible under my pillow and tell it to go away. I did just that, I could still feel him sometimes watching me, but never saw him again. I was 16 at the time.

This is when it got even creeper, I was doing much better, 2 years had passed without any incident, I was 18 at the time. I stayed over at a friends house, we all slept in front of the TV. Her boyfriend screamed in the early hours, I woke up and I could feel the creature looking at us, I knew it was there. "The boogeyman is here" her boyfriend screamed over and over again. I ran to put the lights on and that's when her boyfriend told me about the creature, the same creature I saw when I was younger. I saw the small scratch marks on his arm and that just freaked me out. I was trying to convince myself for so long that it wasn't real.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? What is it?

I'm 26 now and I haven't seen or felt it again after that night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Its-Pixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

FrenchKiwi (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
What a freaky experience. I remember before I signed up to this site I read your story, and when I first read it, it gave me the creeps.

I can understand your parents reaction, these sort of things never prey on skeptics but they do prey on believers and spiritual people. Your friend was right about the creature preying on fear, you could have to have said "In the name of God and myself (and then said your name) You are not welcome here please leave now" or if that didn't work, you could have spoken to a priest and they could have came and given your room and house a blessing and have blessed the house with holy water and salt. That way any evil spirit would not dare to come near you or your room again.

I have never had an experience like yours and I hope I never do and I hope you don't ever see this creature again and I wish you all the best in life.
GASPER (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-23)
Om too creeepy it like some monster from a movie 😕.i like these types
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
That's funny I was thinking of the movie cats eye as well. You took the words right out of my mouth. Very creepy though.
ghostfacep (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Reminds me of the movie Cat's Eye with Drew Barrymore and James Woods. Spooky!
kritesh (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
very scary experience hope never happen with someone else you have to stay calm in this moment do not be scared
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
What a frightening experience for a young person to go through. I am glad that you don't see it anymore and it's a shame that your parents didn't believe you. My parents as well didn't believe me or my brother when we told them about our experience which I believe was motivated by fear. This is why whenever my children see or feel something, I take the time to listen and it is taken seriously. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi Its-Pixie,

To clarify my comment, by latching, i'm referring to one creature, one person, and following them around the place, not physically holding onto the person. They would follow the person, at a slight distance, then appear to 'attack', for lack of a better word, and move back to within a meter and follow again.
The one that followed me home did cause a bit of noise around my room but it did not actually harm me. I would just feel very drained whenever it was around.
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi BattleScars,
Thanks for the comment. I did some research on it and it doesn't seem to fit, but whatever this is, it scared the hell out of me and I'm just very happy it's gone!
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi Nephylim,
Thank you for your comment. You say it followed you home? What happened? Did it harm you in anyway?
The 'energy vampires' you saw at the party sounds pretty creepy, but I'm not sure that's what I saw, it didn't latch on to me at any point (or that I'm aware of), it just stared and smile at first and then later started to scratch me, because I was ignoring it (getting use to it in a way) and it didn't like it. It wanted me scared.
I'm not a religious person, but as I said my parents are and so was the friend that gave me the advice. It seemed to work though
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi zzoya,
Thank you so much for the reply and kind words.
I also hope I don't see it again, so far nothing, hope it stays that way!
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi cutiepiecharlie,
I not sure if I did something to attract it, if you are wondering if I played with Ouija board, the answer is no and as for my parents I don't think they did anything wrong, they are very strict religious people. I have two brothers and they never saw the creature, even when one took my old room. Why I started seeing it remains a mystery and I hope I don't seen it again!
Thanks for your reply 😊
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi justinwoo3112001,
I have moved and I am married now, haven't seen or felt it again. Most people don't believe this, so I tend to keep it to myself.
Thanks for your reply 😊
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi GabrielladeLioncourt,
Thank you for your reply! Wow, that does sound creepy! I'm glad it never did anything to you! You should share that experience on here, I would love to read more about it!
Yes, I also believe there is more than one dimension, but why they target just a few people I don't know. I'm just very happy it's gone and I hope it stays that way!
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi bizzjoe,
Well I was still very young at the time and didn't have a camera, my parents also didn't believe me so there was no way of getting them to help me get a picture.
I'm also pretty sure even if I had one I would be too scared to move to take one. There is no word I can use to describe just how scared I was (especially when it started to scratch me)
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi BadJuuJuu,
Thank you for the reply! I think it changed it's MO because I was ignoring it (sort of getting use to it, yes I know that sounds crazy) and it didn't like it one bit, so it started scratching my bed and the moved to actually harming me.
I'm not sure if it was in fact the same creature or maybe another one, but it scared me so much. I was trying so hard to convince myself I just had an overactive imagination. I'm also very happy I haven't seen or felt it again and I hope it stays that way!
Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
Hi valkricry,
Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated. I agree, it does sound like it's from a horror movie, but also quite frustrating that your parents don't take a seriously. I'm just very happy I haven't seen or felt it again. I am now married and moved into a new home, which seems to be normal and paranormal-free.
BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-18)
Hey! I am from South Africa and I know what you are talking about! I think you are talking about the Tikoloshe - this is a really common creature/alien/boogeyman in South Africa.

Hope this helps!
:)
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-18)
I have come across something very similar when I was in my early 20's. I call them Energy Vampires (don't know what the real name would be)
My experience with these little creatures happened at a party. I had the same feeling you describe, fear, panic and the feeling of being watched. I saw one of these creatures latched onto everyone's back at the party. I believe that these things attached themselves to people that provide enough energy to support it's material form, that is why it followed you but may have come across another, more substantial, source of energy in your friend's boyfriend.
The one I came across, that also looked at me and smiled (realizing I could actually see it?) and followed me home. Use of the bible (if you have faith in it) was a good choice. I used meditation to banish it.
I now sleep with a piece of Rose Quartz under my mattress. Rose quartz is a good deterrent for creatures that thrive on energy.
zzoya (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-18)
That sounds really creepy... L pray you never see it again ever.
cutiepiecharlie (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
do you think something you did might have made it come your parents might have done something.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
That is creepy indeed! 😢

Ive never heard something quite like this.
I believe there is another dimension where their is things we can't even imagine. I also think they have a way to come to our side. Why though? I have no idea.

When I was young, I lived in a house, and every single night, until I moved from there, I would hear running noises in the basement, then I would hear someone run up the stairs, walk to my bedroom, and when it seemed close, I would look back to my doorway and these big, weird, and long fingered hands would hold the rim of my doorway. Sometimes they would slip closer, or shut the door.

I never found out what it was.
I guess that's what drives people nuts about these things, not knowing! 😨

Lots of luck and love! X
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
i would love to see this thing... Why didn't you take a picture of it when it was around?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
Extremely creepy. It seems odd that it would just sit and watch for years before scratching you. I wonder what happened to make it change it's MO so suddenly?
I'm not sure what it could have been. I kind of want to say an earth spirit, not all are friendly to humans, but they tend to stay close to home. I don't think an earth spirit would have followed you to someone else's house and left it's own territory. Whatever it was, I'm glad you haven't seen it anymore.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
Its-Pixie, what a scary story! I have to say, it does sound a lot like something from a horror movie, so I can understand your parent's reaction. But, dang! Sounds to me like it did more watching then anything harmful though. Which is a good thing.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: