You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Grandma Drowned The Boogeyman

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma Drowned The Boogeyman

 

Most families have some kind of hero in the family tree. Some Great-great or maybe even recent member they point at with pride and say,"he/she was the first to _" or "fought in the war and was decorated". You get the gist. In my family it was my maternal grandmother, her familial claim to fame was having drowned the boogeyman.

It was back in 1946 in rural, Kentucky. The twins (my oldest sisters) were 5 years old at the time and living with our Mother in a small cabin on my Grandparents' property. By all accounts they were quiet, well-mannered children, until the arrival of the boogeyman. No one knew where the children had even heard of him, but almost nightly their shrieks of fright roused the households, bringing my Grandfather on the run with his shotgun. They became afraid of the dark, and would beg for my mother to sit with them until they'd fallen asleep. This went on for weeks, despite the fact my mother kept reassuring them that the boogeyman didn't even exist, he was just something made up to ensure children behaved, and since they were always good, they'd have nothing to fear anyway.

My mother wasn't actually sure that there was 'nothing to fear', for weeks now there'd been odd occurrences in and about the cabin that she was at loss to explain. For one thing several times when the girls cried out, their room smelled of rotten eggs, and sometimes the window that she was sure had been closed was slightly opened. There were times when she found weird 'drag' marks in the dirt outside their window, as if someone with a horrible limp had come that way. Privately she told her father that she worried that the boogeyman might be some hobo lurking about. Although it wasn't unheard of, Grandpa said if that was the case, they'd be more likely to steal a few chickens, and surely they wouldn't dare to come back every night, or have any interest in scaring little girls. Still that same day he brought old Jack, his hunting dog to stay with Mom and the girls. According to my Mom, Jack made himself right at home but steadfastly refused to have anything to do with the girls' room refusing to even enter it, and at night would growl at nothing she could see.

Days dragged by, the 'boogeyman' taking its toll on my mother and the girls, mostly due to lack of sleep. One simply does not go from terrified screaming/responding to such screams to sound sleep easily. They grew pale, and dark circles formed under their eyes.

One day, Grandma decided consult with Aunt Sylvie about the situation. No one knows what transpired between them, but it had to be serious for Grandma to pay a call on a known witch. (No one is really certain if "Aunt' was an honorary title, or if she was truly related in some way.) What is known is when she came back she volunteered to sit with the girls for the night and even gave my Mom money to go see the movie playing in the next town over with her cousins. A rare treat indeed!

When Grandma came she ushered my mother off, and set about getting the girls ready for bed. Of course they did not want to go, so instead she put them in my mother's room, telling them, enough was enough and she'd take care of that old boogeyman, and he would never ever bother them again. Then she gave them instructions that no matter what they heard, they mustn't leave the room.

It wasn't long before they heard her talking in their room (Grandma was NOT a soft spoken individual). "See this broom, you Devil? I'm going to beat you with it! Now you get out of here, in the name of Jesus, and never come back!" After that there was a horrible racket, that went from one room to another. It sounded like furniture was being over-turned,Old Jack was barking up a storm, and Grandma yelling. They heard the back door slam, and running to the window saw Grandma running down the path, swinging the broom and shouting Bible verses.

After a short while she returned, telling them they didn't need to worry about the boogeyman anymore, as she had chased him down to the river where she had drowned him.

My mother came home to find the twins sleeping peacefully, her home in disarray, her broom broken, every window and doorway salted, and Grandma reading the Bible. Whether the result of a theatrical performance by Grandma, or some cleansing ritual the twins never again complained of the boogeyman bothering them.

*** An interesting side note to this: of course the twins told their little friends that Grandma had drowned the boogeyman, but by the time it made its rounds reaching adult ears it was she had drowned a man, which much to the amusement of family and her chagrin brought around the local sheriff with some questions... Small towns you gotta love 'em.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-11)
You know, with a few illustrations, this wouldn't take too much to be turned into a cracking children's book! I read it to my 6 year old nieces a couple weeks back and they are still talking about it! It's just spooky enough to be fun and so funny at the end! Not all great stories have to be fictional - it's a great lesson for little kids and this would be a terrific example! ❀
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-11)
Hi Val! It's actually my first time to read a real story about a bogeyman. I don't know if we have this here in the Philippines, because parents would always tell their small children that they shouldn't leave the house and go to the main road (national highway) because there are some guys carrying sacks and abduct children. That's what Mom told me, too.

Then, there's only 'aswang' (literally means witch). We have 'manananggal' (a lady with only half of her body, lurking, searching for pregnant women; 'tikbalang' and 'nuno sa punso' (I think this is our version of a brownie).

Anyway, thanks for sharing your grandma's story.

Best regards.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2017-09-29)
Jubeele, you've made me want some pot-stickers SO badly!😐
I'm glad you enjoyed this. It is one of my favorite 'family lore' stories, and one of the few instances when Grandma shines.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2017-09-29)
Hex! I really do need to check on my own stories more often... I hope you're still around, even though I haven't seen you commenting. Miss you!
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-29)
Hi Val,

I love this story! Another one for my favorites. The mental image of Grandma brandishing her broom was hilarious.

I did wonder at first if the intruder was some sicko spying on the twins, but then there was Jack's behaviour. Sooo...

The thought of you kicking her on the shins as a child and waging a battle of wills made me chuckle. There is some family resemblance there, perhaps?

(p.s. I promise I'll save you some pot-stickers if you are ever in town. 😊)
Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-18)
Valkricry,
I returned to this site after several years of absence, trying to catch up with all the stories I missed.
So far I can safely say that your accounts are the most entertaining, engaging and well-written stories I have read in ages!
The image of your grandmother chasing off the boogeyman with a broom had me in stitches.

Another fav!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-02-10)
Ari ~ you still make this old girl blush!

Psychicsenses - ye gads! How did I miss your comment from like 2 weeks ago!?! So glad you've found your way back! Looking forwards to some of your adventures!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-10)
Holmesey ol' gal,
Now I know where you come from with all your valour and gusto😊 she must've been a relation someway😁
I hope she wore a cape,too.

Regards

Hi Fergie❀
It's been a loooong time. Entirely my fault. But it's good to be back.how've you been!

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-06)
Biblio, thanks for the heads up. I did go over and lodge a complaint. We'll see what happens.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-30)
Hi, Val:

Sorry to be the bearer of unhappy news, but Manafon has discovered that this narrative has been plagiarized by "true ghost stories."

If you plough through the page at "trueghoststories.tumblr.com/archive" you'll find *dozens* of YGS posts re-posted without any citation or credit.

I've also got a rather lengthy post about a different site/individual who lifted one of my posts (yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=23866). There's all kinds of mischief I'd like to create, now, but I think it's probably better that someone less volatile than I takes a moment or two to look into these issues.

Best,
Biblio.
Psychicsenses (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-24)
Hey val,
Firstly, I have been off The site for long. Had gone through a very bad 2016. Anyway I know it's very late but still wishing you a great year ahead... Will post some stories at least now and try to be regular
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-01-12)
Red, I'm glad this made you laugh. 😊 Maybe your mom thought what you did fostered a belief in ghosts with your sister. I don't know, but I do know some folks get really weird about the paranormal.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-12)
val
This one went into my favs. Just imagining your grandmother chasing the boogeyman with a broom had me laughing. I've never had a problem like this.

At some point I ended up sleeping with my youngest sister, who was over 8 1/2 years younger. She complained to my mother that there was ghosts bothering her by coming in the second story window. That cleared up why she was waking me with her screams. I put a cup of saltwater on a table between our beds and told her that any ghosts coming in the room would have to go in the water and that I would flush them the next day. It worked but when I told my mother what I did she was furious. I have no idea why, probably because she didn't think of it.

Regards
Red
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-01-10)
Biblio, Thank you kindly, sir.

Lady-glow and OCGirl,
I barely knew my grandmother, my impression was a large Sherman tank of a woman, whose long braided hair coiled on the top of her head suspiciously like a snake. I do remember kicking her in the shins when I was 5. She had smacked my older brother and made him cry. I don't recall what he had done, and he, being quite the 9 year old hellion, probably deserved it. Still... You don't mess with MY brothers. Lol I remember she spanked me twice, once for the kick, and then again because I refused to say I was sorry, until she said she was sorry to him. As far as I know neither one of us ever gave in on that score. I only saw her 4 or 5 more times that I remember.
The twins, however lived with her for extended periods of times growing up. They have some fond memories.
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-10)
Fantastic story! For some reason I gave your grandma the voice of Ma Kettle when you quoted her. Wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-10)
Val: this is such a lovely experience! What a wonderful way for your sisters to remember their Grandma.

Thanks for sharing.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-07)
Greetings, Val.

This is an absolutely priceless description of these events.
😁
-Biblio.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Val - lol that would definitely have put my mind at ease. But that alligator is as bad as the evil witch I just knew was hiding underneath my bed and would grab my hands or feet and pull me under with her. I still don't sleep with my hands or feet hanging off the bed πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Oh, Miracles... Too bad we didn't know each other as kids, because then I could have told you it just couldn't have been the boogeyman, because my grandma drowned him. πŸ˜‰
Seriously, that is the one bonus of having heard this story since I can remember. The boogeyman never bothered any of us. Ghosts, vampires, scary clowns, even aliens, maybe, but not him. Oh yeah, and the alligator that lived under my bed, According to my oldest brother if I got up to roam around or play he'd eat my toes! 😨
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Sweetsunshine1800,
Thank you for reading and commenting. 😊
When I was much older, and would have a chance to visit with my relations in Kentucky, this story would come up. Something that I always found a bit peculiar is no one ever said, "so your Grandma PRETENDED..." or so much as hinted that it was other than her drowning the boogeyman. It always felt as if they were delivering fact, but the way they'd say (those who were around at the time the incident took place) 'boogeyman' always seemed a bit like a euphemism. Considering other things the family told me, it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
Valkricry, I love how you told the tale of your Grandma. If the old stories are true about spirits being unable to cross water, perhaps Grandma did drown the boogeyman. From your description, I would run from her right into the river if she were chasing me with a broom. I am in deep admiration of her fearlessness. My grandpa told many stories about the paranormal (haints) in Kentucky when electricity was rare out in the woods and the nights were dark and full of frightful things.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
I thought about this story last night and it helped (made?) me remember memories of the boogeyman I had buried. How much of it was childhood imagination and being terrified of "The boogeyman is going to get you" I don't know, but I do remember being absolutely scared to death and believing the boogeyman was in my and my sister's room.
sweetsunshine1800 (4 stories) (85 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Hello Val,

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience. As Fergie states that how much actual cleansing is done and how much acting it was, I too first thought that Grandma's acting to allay your sister's fears. But now that I've re read it 2-3 times, I think otherwise. Of course it ain't some kind of boogeyman or stuff but maybe it could be some entity, as your mom noticed some weird happenings and Jack was growling and refusing to enter only that room. Dogs sometimes see things, we can't, so maybe it really was something? Whatever it is, your grandma banished it! I just can't stop laughing about your Grandma drowning a man πŸ˜†

Have a good day!

Best wishes and,
Regards,
Sweetsunshine1800
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Hi, Fergie!
Believe me you aren't the only one who's wondered how much was theatrics and how much was 'real' on Grandma's behalf. πŸ˜†
I didn't know my Grandmother very well, but from what I've been told, she was a very stern, strict, no-nonsense personage. So, the idea of her putting on a 'show' seems at odds with that. However, I'm sure many of us can attest that the way a parent is with their own child (ren) and with their grandchildren can be the difference in day and night. I can remember watching my Dad with the grandkids and actually thinking at times, "Who the heck is THIS guy, and what has he done with my Dad?" This Grandpa was FUN, and my Dad... Well you get the idea.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Tweed! 😁 So glad it was nothing more serious than flashinteruptous! No need to apologize for 'hijacking' this thread, either. You were reaching out for help AND trying to warn at the same time, I can't think of a better reason. 😊
You might have a point there. Given to personal experiences, perhaps my Mother and her family were more receptive to the twins' claims.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Hi Val,

I absolutely loved your narrative! Good old Grandma to the rescue. It makes me wonder just how much of Aunt Sylvie's advice was taken, and how much 'play-acting' Grandma put into it. Never the less, mission accomplished! Please believe me, I am not trying to discredit Grandma, or her actions, but sometimes a little extra bravado goes a long way to allaying children's fears.

I know the "broken telephone" syndrome too well. The one that springs to mind was about the murder of a man that lived next door. What a garbled account filtered down to me - and there weren't even children involved.

Quite a hoot that Grandma had the Sheriff knocking on her door!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
It's Rook's cleansing!

Val this was absolutely beautiful. So often we hear on here about people, children, having to weather the unknown because adults can't. It's great to hear your family took something often brushed aside seriously enough to reassure your sisters. Sometimes just knowing the adults have your back is enough to brave the dark or the boogeyman. It would be great to know what kind of experiences your mother and grandmother may have had in that house.

You really do gotta love small towns.πŸ˜† You also gotta love the humble broom!

So sorry for hijacking this yesterday and jumping to stupid conclusions.
(Not hacked, a mighty disagreement with 'flash'/adverts. No massive dramas though!)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-03)
Manafon,
Thank you so much for your kind words. You make this old gal blush!

BGP - Grandma certainly was something else. Since she was a very strict and stern woman and held tightly to the 'proper way' for ladies to act, the idea of her brandishing a broom and RUNNING down the path is a rather comical picture in my mind.

Argette, thank you for having read and commented!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-01-03)
Miracles, hmmm... I can't say when the idea that salt could form a barrier against evil first came about, but it's pretty much a basic belief. I do know that salt has held an important position in religion and culture; Covenants in both the Old and New Testaments were often sealed with salt. In the Catholic Church, salt is or has been used in a variety of purifying rituals, and is the main ingredient of Holy Water. In the Buddhist tradition, salt repels evil spirits, and the Shinto religion uses salt to purify areas. Jewish Temple offerings included salt. That names just a few.
Anyway, could the twins have been feeding off each other's fears? Possibly. But, I can tell you that today, the surviving twin, at the age of 76, still swears the boogeyman would appear in their room.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-03)
Well told and well written.

Whatever your Grandmother did, it sure worked!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: