You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Factory?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Factory?

 

Not sure if there is a rational explanation for what I will term a 'happening' at my old house in north London. I had been living there with my wife for about three years and had never experienced anything. It is significant, as you will later discover, that we were an end of terrace located near a piano factory.

On the night in question, I was sleeping in the office because I was in the middle of a week off and wanted a lie-in not, wanting to be awoken by my wife's morning alarm. I awoke sometime whilst it was still dark, and about fifteen minutes later heard what I assumed was my wife's alarm go off. Sometimes she sets her alarm to simply play the radio and I assumed the music I could hear was the alarm radio, which was obscured by the fact that I had gotten accustomed to wearing earplugs because of my wife's snoring. I became puzzled as to why she was allowing the alarm to continue and had not switched it off. It was then that I reached over to my iPhone to look at the time and was shocked to see that it was only 3:15 in the morning! Realising that the music was not coming from my wife's alarm, I removed my earplugs to hear a piano playing music hall numbers from the old piano factory.

The piano notes seemed to pierce the night air particularly because at night it is so eerily quiet in what was effectively a cul-de-sac. I craned my neck out of the office window to look across at the factory and was surprised to see that no lights were on. The tune ended to be followed by single keys being played out of tune sporadically and then suddenly stopped. I felt spooked, naturally, but had rationalised that it was either:

* A pianoforte that had malfunctioned

* The factory, that no longer manufactures pianos but imports and exports them, had a delivery for abroad that needed to go out early and was being tested.

* Some loon was playing the piano in the factory at 3:15 in the morning with the lights off.

I decided to go and speak to the factory owner the next day to discuss the issue, not least because it woke me up. Feeling slightly sheepish on entering the factory, I tried to find the owner. He wasn't there so I spoke to the foreman and asked if anyone was in the factory that night which he denied, adding that it would be very unusual for anyone to be in the factory at that time of night and it had never happened since he could remember. I asked if they had imported exported pianofortes, to which he replied that they only dealt with ordinary pianos.

His 'helpful' suggestion was that it was a fox, the guard dog or the ghost of Margaret Thatcher, who had recently died. All of which seemed pretty implausible not merely as explanations but as jokes. I still can't work out the relationship between Thatcher and pianos; however, the surreal image of seeing the guard dog surreptitiously playing the piano still amuses me.

To summarise: no one was in the factory at that time, yet I did hear a piano playing from there.

Additionally the thing that still sends a chill down my spine and the thing that unsettles most people I tell this story to is that the next morning I was more than fairly alarmed to see that lines had been deeply scratched into my desk apparently using the edge of my watch. Subsequently we moved out which we had been planning for sometime and was in no way a consequence of this event, although I'm pretty glad that we are no longer there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MOLLICALAZZARO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Photobucket seems to work the best. Just create a photobucket and link it to the story. Just make sure it's a new photobucket and not a personal account you may have because sometimes it will let everyone see all the other pictures.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
MOLLICALAZZARO - you have to contact the administrator of the site to have the pictures added to your story.

The easiest way to do it now, in my opinion, would be to upload them somewhere (like photobucket or flikr maybe?) and provide the link in the comments section here.
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Does anyone know how to upload photos? I would like to upload the photo of the scratches on my desk.

Thanks
Marcus
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Oh, boy, Valkricry's got me curious now, if I weren't curious enough.

I have heard phantom music myself, more than once. I just chalked it up to my imagination or some sort of acoustical phenomenon I am ignorant of, as I am of many such things.
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
Swimsunfire,

Yeah I take your point but the adjectives that come to mind are: sinister, eerie, mildly threatening and unsettling. I still feel funny about it now to be honest. I'll get the photo up when I get home it's on my camera
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Mollic, I see that you mention it has always been a piano factory, but that doesn't cancel out residual sound. It's quite possible that at some point in time, they had night watchmen, one of whom played. I'm reminded of an old music shop here in town, that in the past often allowed promising musical students to come practice after hours. (Of course not the wee-hours of the morning) but residual hauntings don't always adhere to a time schedule.
I am curious as to the scratches you've found. There's something nagging me and I'd like to see them, please. It could be just a wild idea, but I won't know until I see.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
I could sleep to piano music any night. What a cool story. You should have shouted out requests.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
What a fascinating experience, Mollicalazzaro! From what I've learned reading YGS posts, it does seem like a residual haunting. A creepy experience, but pianoforte music in the middle of the night doesn't strike me as threatening. Way cool!
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Thanks Spiritwaiting,

No it's always been a piano factory the only one left in London.
We had a fold out bed in there as it doubled as an office and guest room but it's completely plausible that I may have made the scratches either unwares or having forgotten about them. However that just doesn't ring true. I remember in fact thinking at the time that's what I'd done but was probably some kind of psychological defence mechanism to stop me from freaking out.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Mollicalazarro, Interesting. Was the factory in question, ever used as a studio? For learning to play the piano, before it was used as a factory. It could very well be there is a residual haunting, this particular night. And the scratches could have been from you sleeping at your desk, if that's what you were doing. Maybe even your office could have a residual haunting and that's what led you to hear the antique piano playing. Just some ideas, hope it helped.
MOLLICALAZZARO (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
I can provide a photo of the desk if anyone wants to see the scratches as I still own the desk, intact I'm typing on it now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: