You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Voices In The Factory

Real Ghost Stories

Voices In The Factory

 

An account entitled "Unfamiliar Voices and Other Odd Things" submitted by Enlightened1959, has prompted me to submit this account as they have one area of similarity.

In the early 1980s I worked for the Carnation Milk Company in Aylmer, Ontario. The factory was built in around 1905, I believe. Some of the equipment inside, still in operation at the time, was the same age as the building. Being a stationary engineer in the boiler room we worked 24/7 even after production was done for the day and on weekends, at this time the person on shift would be the only person in the entire facility. The boiler room was cozy enough, especially on cold winter nights, but the rest of the factory could be a little spooky in the low light and the shadows cast by ancient machines.

I was a young man and the shift schedule was interfering with my social life. At times one or another of my friends would have mercy and visit me to keep me company for a while. Food was always welcome.

One evening a friend, Kim, (male) came at about 1:00 AM with a pizza. We took it to the lunch room in the main factory and started to eat. Although we were talking and eating, I kept hearing what I thought were the voices of two women having a conversation. I tried to ignore it as there should have been no one else in the building. I reasoned that it may be steam or air or some other mechanically derived sound. After many minutes, however, the sound did not stop. I mentioned the voices to Kim and he paused and said he could hear them as well and said it was definitely two women talking.

We decided to search for the two women that should not be there. We followed the voices to the milk receiving area but the voices then seemed to be coming from another part of the factory. We followed them there but then, just as oddly, the voices now seemed to be coming from the empty can storage area on the second floor. While both Kim and I agreed that the speech was English neither of us could make out a single word of it. This went on for about an hour and although the voices didn't stop, two young men could not leave a pizza uneaten for very long.

By the time Kim went home, an hour or so later, the voices had stopped. I went back to the boiler room, a little nervous but spent the night in relative calm.

Four weeks later I was again on night shift. This time my friend Scott decided to make the drive out to Aylmer to see me. We ordered a pizza (yes again) and took it to the lunch room as I did four weeks prior. I had not mentioned the voices to Scott.

We sat eating when I heard a conversation begin, this time by two men. I just let it go as I was not going to go through the wild goose chase again (besides the whole thing was a little creepy). I did not mention what I was hearing to Scott. The voices kept going but I did not want to acknowledge them. After a few minutes Scott paused and said, "Do you hear two men talking?" I remember throwing down my slice of pizza in a mix of relief, fear, and disgust. I told him that I heard them and then related the previous voice thing of four weeks earlier.

Scott and I went through the same routine of following the voices through the building for about an hour. Just as before we could not catch up to them nor could we make out what they were saying but we agreed that the pattern was definitely English.

The pizza, however, was not forgotten and we returned to the lunch room to polish it off. Afterward Scott went home, the voices were stilled and I, once more, spent a creeped out night in the boiler room alone.

I never heard the voices again despite similar friend and pizza visits in subsequent months.

As always, under these odd circumstances, I am at a loss to understand the how and why of it. I am not sure why the disembodied voices were there nor do I understand why we were led around the facility by them. It seems so purposeless.

Carnation Milk closed their Aylmer operation down at least twenty years ago and the factory was torn down a few years after that.

Other hauntings by Kindly_refrain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kindly_refrain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-11-04)
Hi DeliverDawn, I feel the deaths are unrelated to the voices primarily because the people who died there were all men and, in one instance at least, the voices I heard were women's voices.

Also were there four ghosts for the two occurrences (two men and two women)? That is a lot of spirits with exactly the same intent, which I believe was just to lead us around for some kind of afterlife fun or to scare us. Leading me to, perhaps it was not a human agency after all but something (s) more mischievous.
DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-10-31)
Kindly_refrain, that's such a shame, about the poor people that died there.: (It really is. And I understand when a person doesn't want to think too deeply about any paranormal things going on! That said, why do you feel like the events are unrelated?
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-10-31)
DeliverDawn, I had no inclination, at that time, to research the area or the factory. I mostly thought that the occurences were paranormal but I was often the only person in the creepy old place at night so I really tried not to put much mental energy into it.

It is almost certainly unrelated to the experiences but 3 of the stationary engineers, over the years, died in the boiler room or factory. The last one punched out his time card in more than one sense as he died immediately after doing just that, right at the time clock.
DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-10-31)
Certainly so strange... Maybe especially since it happened more than once. Out of curiosity, did you ever get around to doing any kind of research on either the factory or the general area, or did you mostly let it go after all that?
Jazzisepic (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-23)
Hello Kindly,
Good story. I sometimes hear voices in my house I live in and sometimes I hear my baby sister taking to someone who is not there!
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
valkricry, hmmm... Very odd, I checked the Horror youtube channel several times and neither my comments or Rook's were there. I do now see his comments and oddly mine has returned as well, under my wife's name (as I sent it).
valkricry (49 stories) (3276 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
Kindly,
You're mistaken- Rook's 'complaint' is still there (I found it under a tab called 'more'). There is another one posted as well from about the same time. At least they're still showing at 3:54 AM this morning.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-01)
Thanks for your input everyone. Thanks also for the complaint link for YouTube valkricry.

Rookdygin, it seems your complaint in the comments section met the same fate as mine did earlier; it was taken down by the channel owner. I do, however, appreciate your support.

I lodged an official complaint with YouTube this evening.
ladydarke (113 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
Kindly_Refrain,

I actually came across two more YGS stories narrated by HorrorStudio1 each on a separate video. I flagged them on the bottom of the respective stories with a note to mods, but I guess they fell off the bottom of the comment box.

Here are the links again:

Story: The Posession Of A Raktha Pisachi - Blood Sucker

Link to story: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=17589

Link to narration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_fIOyIgYc

Story: Shadow Baby

Link to story: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=2962

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMLQ0AYNIxk

It seems that this channel has ripped quite a few stories with no credit or link to YGS. It's quite likely there are more than the ones I happened to recognize while listening.

Mods, are you able to step in? If the narrator is deleting comments, maybe he'll take contact from an admin more seriously.

There was a recent blow up among the horror story narrators when Reddit called them out for ripping content without permission or credit. They would explain in their videos how they had pulled videos before getting in trouble over it, and talked about how they were taking measures to get permission. It seems that HorrorStudio1 knows to get permission from Reddit, but doesn't understand that copyright applies to other sites as well.

Kindly_refrain, I'm sorry your thread had to derail from your interesting experience into copyright protection.: (
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
Youtubers who tell ghost stories have blown up on youtube. And they have used people's stories without permission. A Mr. Nightmare got in trouble for doing so and now labels his stories "allegedly true" and always gets permission for them. Sadly enough the ones who steal don't seem to want to read the fine print at the bottom of this website: No reproduction of any part without permission or you will be haunted.:P
Tweed (35 stories) (2501 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
I meant the comment gets deleted, I don't think he'll delete the video of his own free will.

He's also got a 'free app'
Https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/horrorstudio1/id1068775107?mt=8

Http://www.apple.com/legal/contact/ 😉
Tweed (35 stories) (2501 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
Million bucks says it gets deleted. 😐

This is really lame. Morality aside, he's made your experience sound like a pantomime.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
0828 Central Standard Time...

Just posted a 'complaint' in the comments section, it's bad enough they used your experience without permission... But to have it read 'for effect' they way it was just made things, well in my opinion worse.

Let's see what happens.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3276 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
Kindy_refrain,
I would then recommend you submit your copy right complaint directly to YouTube:
Https://www.youtube.com/copyright_complaint_form
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
Ladydarke, I just checked, my comments on the HorrorStudio1 you tube channel have been deleted.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-29)
ladydarke, I do not have a twitter or Facebook account.

I did not get a response from Horror1.

The comment is in my wife's name as she has a gmail account, required to leave posts.
ladydarke (113 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-28)
Kindly_refrain,

Did you get a response from HorrorStudio1? I looked at the video again and didn't see your comment, but maybe I just missed it.

There's also a facebook and twitter listed in the about, posted here for convenience:

Https://www.facebook.com/HorrorStudio1/

Https://twitter.com/HeilyChong
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-24)
Hello, Martin, Tweed and Ladydarke, since I did not see a website associated with the HorrorStudio1 you tube channel, I posted my dissatisfaction with the copyright violation and gave him or her instructions to remove my story from the site, in the comment section.

Hopefully that discourages theft of other stories from here as well.
Tweed (35 stories) (2501 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2017-01-24)
Kindly,

Sorry this is happening. It's absolutely infuriating. Try to keep a polite yet firm tone when contacting this person. A peaceful resolve would be ideal. Often it's a young and naive person who quickly understands their error and removes your content.

If that doesn't do it, as Martin said, go through the reporting process or whatever they have on youtube. In your message make sure to link to this page at YGS, the original content.

Let us know how you get on.

Ladydarke, good catch!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2017-01-23)
Kindly_refrain, I don't do it for each individual cases otherwise I would spend all my time doing this, however I do intervene when I see a web site systematically copying a large number of the stories here. You should contact the other person first, if no response, escalate the matter by notifying someone at youtube.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
 
8 years ago (2017-01-23)
Martin, do I pursue the copyright violation, as stated in my previous post, or does YGS?
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2017-01-23)
Ladydarke, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Permission was not granted as it was never asked for. I have never had contact with this person or website.

He actually did give credit for the story in his stilted, halting narration but gave it to enlightened1959, another YGS contributor.

While I do not have an easy-to-anger nature, it does feel like a bit of a personal violation.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2017-01-17)
ladydarke, as indicated in our contact page, youtubers and others definitely require permission from authors here to narrate their stories, along with a reference to YGS as the original source.
ladydarke (113 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2017-01-17)
Kindly_Refrain,

Did you give permission for this story be narrated in a YouTube video by a channel called HorrorStudio1?

This is a link to the video:

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii7Qy-0POnw&t=608s

He does a nice job reading it, I think, but no credits are given in the video or in the about section. I listen to this horror story channel quite a bit and I really hope the guy was above aboard with you and had gotten permission.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2017-01-12)
RC - this would be a question you should address with our administration. Just shoot Martin an email 😊 I know once upon a time before I discovered this site, there was a chat option or something like that, but apparently it got out of hand and was removed.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (837 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2017-01-12)
Kindly Refrain, good, interesting questions. I won't make it a thread, but I will ask the mods: could a bulletin board be added to this site so that questions like this can be discussed without getting in the way of discussing the incidents?

Thanks.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2017-01-12)
RCRuskin, I did not know that children of deaf parents babble in sign language. Very interesting.

I really don't expect to make this a thread for conversation but if a deceased mute or deaf person's spirit returned as a ghost would it be a wordless haunting or would words still enter the mind?

Certainly there should be no EVPs.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (837 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2017-01-11)
Thanks for helping clear it up. Sign language, ASL, BSL, etc. Is also a recognizable language for many of the same reasons, except it has no audible component. Studies (which? I've been reading too much wikipedia lately) show that children of deaf parents 'babble' and learn sign language in the same way that children of hearing parents pick up on the sounds parents make and learn language that way.

So how do parrots do it? 😆
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (196 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2017-01-11)
Hi Argette, I thought you were doing the "if a tree falls in the forest..." thing. I guess it applies though.

I do wonder also if they occur without an audience or as Manafon1 might say (sorry if I use you badly) a recipient is a necessary part of making the apparitional drama function.

In this case there is not necessarily an apparition so it may be only a supernatural auditory drama.

Ok I am officially out of my depth now.
Argette (guest)
 
8 years ago (2017-01-11)
Kindly, I wonder: if voices emit when no one is around to hear them, do they make a sound? I suppose, so, because we have EVPs.

I am so intrigued with this story. I heard voices at my house once, when I was standing in the upstairs hall at the top of the stairs. My husband went down and no one was there...

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: