You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunted House?

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted House?

 

I am new to this site, but I really want to share something that happened to me. Me and my family lived in a small house in a village near Amsterdam in the Netherlands. My parents bought it somewhere around 1979. At that time I was 2 years of age. The house was build somewhere around 1910 and as long as I can remember there was always something strange going on.

As a young child I could frequently see strange shadowy figures upstairs and from time to time I heard someone, or something, breathing or scratching from inside the walls. I remember that at night I could regularly see these strange figures, whom looked like long black shapes, moving in a odd rhythmic way through my bedroom. And one scary thing I remember like it happened only yesterday.

I was about 4 or 5 years of age and I began to notice them more often. Or let's say, I became aware of the fact that what I saw wasn't something normal and it really started to scare me. Every night it looked like they were moving closer to the edge of my bed and at a certain point they came so close that I hid myself under the sheets, so I could not see them.

Of course that didn't help much, because now I started to hear them. They made a strange mumbling sound and as a child (or now as an adult) I could not make out what it was. But it scared me so much and after a few night I was so scared that kicked with my foot at the edge of my bed. To my horror I really hit something and it made a loud and eerie kind of scream.

A few seconds later my mother entered my room, asking me why I made such an awful scream. I told her what happened, but it was of no use. I could not convince her that it wasn't me, but one of the "monsters" near my bed. She tried to calm me and told me that there were no such things as ghosts or monsters. She told me that I was safe in my room and asked me to go back to sleep. It may sound strange, but from that moment on I never heard the noises again and I never saw those things again... Until 1989.

In that year my mother suddenly died and left me, my father and two younger brothers to take care of ourselves. From that moment on the atmosphere changed in the house. I started to see the shadowy figures again and the scratching noises and the breathing came back. I could hear it all through the night.

One day I noticed that our cats started to behave strange. They became very jumpy and nervous and refused to go into certain places in the house (one of these places being my room). It was like they could see things that we (well, most of us) apparently couldn't.

What also spooked me was that some places in the house were freezing cold (for no reason). My father and my two brothers also seemed to be affected by whatever it was. My father kept telling us stories about ghostly appearances and a "woman figure" he had seen in our living room. My two brothers became very aggressive and violent and used course language all day through. It was like something dark (re) took possession of the house.

At night things really got creepy. Something was constantly pulling my sheets away and made frightening noises from inside the walls. Downstairs I frequently heard people walking or moving things around. Our cupboards and closets were opened and shut all night through... And every time it happened I went downstairs to see who's there and every time there was nothing, but a couple of "scared" cats hiding under our couch.

One day one of my brothers asked if I had heard the strange noises the night before. Of course I heard the noises, but I was curious about his story and asked him what he was talking about.

He described all the things I heard every night. He thought that we had a burglar in the house and so he stormed downstairs to teach him or her a lesson. But there nothing there and angry and frustrated he went back to bed.

In 1999 my youngest brother started to behave in such a bad manner that the authorities decided (with the consent of me and my father) to put him in a foster home. From that moment on he immediately changed and became a friendly and caring young boy. I think that whatever haunted our house had lost grip on him and therefore he changed. But I, my other brother and my father could not move elsewhere and had to deal with the house.

In 2001 a friend of mine told me that whenever he came to visit our house he felt like something in our house was watching him. It made him feel uncomfortable. He also said that from the corners of his eyes it was like there were always strange black manlike shapes visible in, but also close around, our house. I had never mentioned this to anyone, not even to my father and brothers. I was shocked, but didn't have the courage to tell him what was going on. But we talked about it for a while and made some silly jokes about it.

That was a big mistake and that night I would learn the hard way. I do not recall the time, but suddenly my sheets were violently pulled off my bed. My room became freezing cold and the scratching noises came from all the walls. It was almost like something was rapidly moving through all the walls. And then I heard very loud breathing and something what felt like enormous hands grabbed me by the neck and threw me into one of the corners of my room. Apparently I lost my consciousness. When I came to my neck really hurt and it still was very cold in my room. I decided not stay there one more second and rushed downstairs. That night I slept on one of our couches, with the company of our cats. That gave me a safe feeling.

Next morning father and brother had no clue what had happened that night. I asked them if they had heard something, but they both said no. They did ask if there was something wrong with my neck and I replied that I fell out of my bed and hurt my head and neck. I went to the bathroom and noticed a large bruise in my neck.

That same day my friend came to visit me again. He immediately noticed that I behaved strange and asked what was going on. I referred to our ghost stories the day before and told him that I have had the weirdest dream. That something attacked me and that I woke up in a corner of my room. Worried he asked what was wrong with my neck. Before I was able to respond he pulled my shirt up and he froze.

I asked him what was there. "Do you want to know what's on your neck?", he asked. "You know that you have a bruise in the shape of a very large hand in your neck and on your shoulders." Now I really was afraid and that day I told him everything that was going. He immediately believed the entire story.

My brother overheard my story and when it came to an end he told me that he was so glad that he was not going crazy. Unfortunately later that year my father's health rapidly worsened and he started to show severe signs of dementia.

But now several people had noticed it and since we did not know what it was, we all decided to try to ignore it and most certainly to not to offend it anymore. That seemed to help a little. Things calmed down a bit. But we could still hear the noises and every night things still were moving around. The cold spots in the house remained and for several months I refused to spent the night in my room. But at a certain point I decided that this was ridiculous and I started to sleep there again. I don't know why, but it never bothered me again and I was never attacked again.

Somewhere around 2002 my father's condition worsened and he could not live in the house any longer, so we all moved out. I moved to a small apartment near my old house and my brothers moved somewhere else. The house was sold to our next door neighbor. He always wanted to buy the house, so he could make one big house of both houses.

I moved in my apartment and for a while I feared that something had followed me to my new apartment. Again I felt like I was being watched and again I saw something but this was different. It did not feel bad. The cats (I kept them after moving out the old house) were not spooked and one day I saw something that was as clear as day. It was an old lady, a friendly looking old granny. I was not afraid of her and spoke into the room right at the exact spot where I had seen her. I said that I did not mean to intrude, but that it was now my house. That I lived there now, but if she wanted, she was welcome to stay. Immediately something changed in my apartment. Everything suddenly felt so serene and peaceful and I have never seen her again.

Later I heard from my new next door neighbor that an old brother and sister had lived in my apartment. The sister took care of her brother, but then the sister died and the brother couldn't stay there so he was moved to a nursing home. That was shortly before I moved in. The woman my neighbor described was the woman I had seen.

At the same time my old neighbor had his own problems with the old house. Because he did not have the funds to immediately cost the renovation, he decided to rent the place out. Not a single one of his tenants stayed there for very long, but the most striking case was a young woman who rented the house. She told my old neighbor that she simply loved the place and even paid him two months in advance. A few days later my old neighbor came home from his work and noticed a large truck in front of the house and several movers taking her stuff out.

He wanted to know what was going on and one of the movers told him that the woman did not want to spent another minute in that house. She did not even want to get near to it and gave them the key. My old neighbor could keep his rent. The man could not tell my neighbor what had happened to her, but something scared the living daylights out her.

Up to this day I still do not know what it was. Some of my friends say that it most likely was a poltergeist, another friend said that maybe it was a demon and one girlfriend even mentioned that maybe it was the spirit of my deceased mother, although I refuse to believe that. Things were already off before she died and I don't believe that she would ever turn to violence.

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tricholoma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-21)
That is just SO creepy in every way. It definitely was not your mother, but I can't say what it was. Only say that I'm thankful you're away from it now.
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Hi Unexplained,

I must apologize for the late response.

That African witchcraft haunting story is really, really intens. Thankfully my family never had to go through such a high level of fysical terror. But I do see what you mean with 'some of the aspects my family experienced'. I still do not think that our house was cursed, but I will never know for sure.
Thank you for the information/story.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-13)
Hi Tricholoma,

The story I refer to is: 'An African Witchcraft Haunting' by 'Hamrammr'.

Let me know what you think?

Regards,

U.
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
Hi Unexplained,

Thank you for your compliment... And for the hint about the house in South Africa. I will certainly try to find it, so I can read it.

There was absolutely something wrong in our family home, but I don't think our neighbor had something to do with it. He surely did his best to buy our house as cheap as possible, but I do not think he put a curse on it. Things were already going wrong before he and his wife moved in during the early nineties. But I do not know what the previous owners before him did. As far as I can remember my family did not have bad relations with our neighbors, nor did they have any enemies. I do know that the previous owner (a young widow who had lost her husband to cancer) was extremely afraid of almost everything and couldn't bare to listen to scary stories. Maybe she also noticed things, just like us.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-08)
Hi Tricholoma, that was an excellent recounting of your experiences in that house. My condolences for the tragic loss of your parents.

In your story, you stated that your neighbour always wanted the house in which you live in. Some aspects of what you experienced there reminded me of another story I read on this site, also to do with a property but situated in South Africa where a curse had been placed on the property to drive away the residents.

Anyway, this is just a speculative point raised, thanks for sharing your experiences on this site.
iez (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-06)
quote[And there was an old rumor in our street that during W.W 2 there was an uprise under the factory workers of the factory. This was somewhere around 1943. The Germans took drastic messures and executed some of the workers. Their bodies were supposedly dumped in pits containing caustic materials, so they could dissolve. I did find some articles about the uprise, and about the executions, but I did not find one article mentioning these pits.
However, the elderly people whom lived in our street during the eighties and nineties were confident that it had happened. So it is possible that there was a lot of negative energy near our house. But like I mentioned, this was a rumor...]unquote

Well rumors are worth to search for. I think that the negativity is to blame on this happening. The energy sounds stuck in the ground and then attached to the new houses.
Go and find the local (hobby) history department. Most of the time they have more info about the area than you can find by searching yourself. That is how I found out about the gallows and leprosehouse. And then check that at the archives, you will get better and more detailed info then starting in the archives.
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
Hi iez,

I do not know what was build there before our house was build.
But there was a lot of old industry in our part of the village and our street was build next to an old tin factory. Actually it was build right against it. And there was an old rumor in our street that during W.W 2 there was an uprise under the factory workers of the factory. This was somewhere around 1943. The Germans took drastic messures and executed some of the workers. Their bodies were supposedly dumped in pits containing caustic materials, so they could dissolve. I did find some articles about the uprise, and about the executions, but I did not find one article mentioning these pits.
However, the elderly people whom lived in our street during the eighties and nineties were confident that it had happened. So it is possible that there was a lot of negative energy near our house. But like I mentioned, this was a rumor...
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
Hi AudreyJay,

Thank you for your feedback. I find it really helpfull (as are the comments from the other users).
Maybe you're right. Maybe some of the things that were happening to us did have a natural cause. But at that time it felt like something unnatural and evil was tormenting our lives. And because there did not seem to come an end to it, it did feel like a constant haunting.
iez (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Hi there,
To keep it readable for all I will post in English although I'm Dutch.
Did you check out what was build there before the house was build?
To me things became clear when I found out that I lived in a gallowsfield together with my now ex. And why I feel so calm and hopefull now I live at a leprose-house field. I mean the field where the lepra people in the 1500 would live. Maybe you should try that, searching for the history of the ground!
AudreyJay (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
I appreciate the way in which you relayed this story. Sometimes it's hard to get all the facts in there, and you did a great job.:) My guess is that when this was happening to you, you certainly didn't stop to say "hmmm, let me see, could this have a rational, natural explanation?" And really, who would? Sometimes when events (like the ones you described above) happen, you're just afraid and need an answer now. Looking back on it now, I'm sure you could probably find a rational explanation for 90% of it, but it's that other 10% that still haunts you (no pun intended). Whatever it was, clearly had a hold on your family. Glad you made it out safely.
ghosthunt12 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
ghosts feed on your fear. Dont let it affect you and ignoring is the best remedy. Take care:)
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
Hi JessicaDrake,

No, we've never tried to contact a priest, imam, or another religious person. Maybe we should have, but it never came into our minds that something like that might have worked. And we were all in such a downward spiral that we couldn't think clear about it. And maybe the house prevented us for doing such a thing. I don't know. But one thing is sure, the day we left that house, all of our lives changed in a very positive way. And at present day we are all doing well. None of us is haunted, or is experiencing strange things.
I do not know what my old neighbor did yo clean the house. As far as I know he still lives there. That's more then ten years since my family left.
JessicaDrake (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-28)
Have you ever tried to contact a professional or perhaps someone religious like a priest? I think that this is something that you should keep quiet about. I kind of experienced something like that when I was younger, fourntuanly not as horrible and terrifying (WITH ALL tho RESPECT) I really think you should talk to someone about it because Demons/Spirits could be harmful and dangerous. Trust me I know how these things work. Whatever your religion is you should put any thing holy in your house like a bible or a cross if you're Christian or Quran if you're Muslim. So please don't ignore this because it could be harmful.
dwelly (7 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2014-02-27)
Wow, that's a really intense story. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

Another user mentioned earlier that you mixed "non paranormal and paranormal" events. I think they're trying to say that some of the events you mention could have had a rational, non paranormal explanation. However, when considering your story as a whole, I think most if not all of the occurrences had paranormal origin.

When the first stuff started happening when you were a kid, I think your mother put a stop to it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the sense from your story that she was a very strong woman; probably strong enough to put a few nasty spirits into their place. Once she passed away, they probably saw that as an opening to come forward again.

In addition to that, negative spirits feed off of negative emotions like anger and depression. After your mom passed, the general feel of the house was probably very morose. The negative spirits sensed weakness and took advantage of that.

The joking you did probably upset the spirit. Once it has a hold, it wants to keep the hold. It sensed that you were beginning to lose fear in it, so it attacked you violently. Deciding to ignore the spirit was probably a pretty smart move. A lot of the experiences people have are caused by their own negative emotions; it sends out a signal almost, and allows entities to feed off of that.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't think the spirit in your home was a demon. Personally, I don't believe in demons or pure evil. But I do believe in negative spirits, so that's what I think it was. A negative entity that really wanted to make your life miserable. Either way, the important thing to remember is that you no longer have to deal with something so terrible.

But your story about the elderly woman in your apartment is fantastic:) It's really good to know that after going through the haunting you experienced, you were able to have a good experience with a spirit as well. You did the right thing there. Letting the spirit know that it was your house and that she could stay if she wished asserted your dominance, but also respected the deceased.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your parents. Hopefully they're watching over you now and keeping you safe <3
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-27)
I see... Well that's fair enough then, he knew what he was getting into... Thank you for your reply, and I liked your story very much...
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-02-26)
Hi bizzjoe,

My old neighbor was well aware of the fact that strange and creepy things were going on in that house. I told him, my brother also told him, but he wanted the house for years and our silly ghoststory didn't concerne him. It was time for us to grow up. These were his exact words. Because we had to move out, he bought the house for less than a third of the marketvalue. He knew we had to get rid of it and he took a little advantage if it, because we just had no choice. My father owned the house and he was put in a nursing home (where he died in 2011). We (me and/or my brother) couldn't pay the monthly costs.
So I agree that it looks like a really bad move to sell it to our neighbor, but he knew what he was about to buy.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-02-26)
Well now... I'm sure your old neighbour must have been delighted you told him all about your old house being haunted before he bought it... It was the neighbourly thing to do...
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-25)
Tricholoma

I can honestly say that to me, having a breakdown of so many experiences from you, makes me "see" what you went through so much better. Considering it was such a long time of suffering under what ever this thing was, you seem to have come out of it very well.

Its terrible that this thing "infected" your brother the way it did, I have also seen negative spirits in a house cause violence, fighting, harsh words, everything. I also seriously doubt that your mom had anything to do with what was going on. The fact that the house couldn't keep other tenants for very long almost screams that something dark is there.

I would have been scared out of my wits even before it started becoming physical attacks.

Very glad that your experiences have died down, and that you now have a peaceful new home.
Tricholoma (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
First I want to thank all of you for your feedback.

[at] BadJuuJuu,
My mother was a gentle and caring person, and would never treat us like that. Just like you said.
The idea of an actual demon still worries me and I am so glad that it remained in the old house after we moved out. Assuming it was a demon.

[at] mamachong,
Thank you so much for your advice. I will certainly keep this in mind in case I might need it one day. At present day I do not experience these events anymore. And in my present home I don't sense the things I mentioned in my story.

[at] AzrealX,
I'm sorry that my story looks like it's a mass up of different experiences (natural and/or unnatural).
I am not paranormal (I think) and do not have the knowledge to separate one event from another. Neither were my family members. But one thing was sure, these things were happening to us over a period of more than 20 years and influenced our lives in a very negative way.

I agree that the event with the old lady in my new apartment was something completely different than the things that were going on the old family home. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it in this story, but I wanted to tell it as a whole.

In your reply you mention that I have mixed real explainable non paranormal events and paranormal experiences together.
Could you please (try to) explain these events to me? It would help me a lot, since I am not able to see the difference between the events. To me it all looked like it came from a paranormal source.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
-3
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
Reading further and further, it feel like the author of the experience has crammed too many experiences of extremely different origins into one single tale.
The author could have split the experiences into spate incidences instead of one single tale. Could have spared the extra thinking and analysing all at the same time.
Unless the experiences are separate and not lugged together, it would difficult to analyse.

Tricholoma has mixed real explainable non paranormal events (which the author thinks is of paranormal origin) and probable paranormal experiences together.

I have so many many questions, but the lump of experiences in a single tale really puts me off.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
There is a poster here by the name rookdygin. He has a personal shield as well as a cleansing thing on his profile. You might look into it. Its non religious and might help you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
I agree that it wasn't your mother. I can't imagine a mother treating her family that badly. I also don't think it was a poltergeist, as poltergeist activity is typically the result of a living person that is under considerable stress. The poltergeist manifestations are more unintentional telekinesis than an outside entity. As much as I hate to say it, a demon does sound like the most likely source of the activity. Sometimes a demon chooses a physical space to occupy, and will defend that territory viciously.
I think it left you alone (well, more alone than it did your family anyway) after you stood up to it and reclaimed your room because it considered your family easier targets. They prefer easy targets, and you chose to be a tougher mark. I'm sorry you all went through so much turmoil there, and I'm glad you got out.
I love that things are so much better in your apartment. You've seen some of the worst of the paranormal, but you've also seen some of the nicest.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: