You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Battling For Eggs

Real Ghost Stories

Battling For Eggs

 

I want to share this incident which was experienced by my boyfriend and his cousin but first let me explain few things.

In Sri Lanka, people believe that you shouldn't eat oily or fried foods like eggs, fish all that non-vegetable items after 6pm. They say such foods attract bad spirits (I don't exactly know what you call it, it's more than spirit like the dirty kind.) Especially they don't allow young girls to eat oily foods when the mother nature is around, they say it attracts the bad spirits and follows them wherever they go and sometimes the result isn't good. Lots of people have shared their stories of bad happenings and strange sightings after eating pork in their house. Believe it or not some people are terrified of this particular meat and doesn't even let in the person who eats it.

Back in 2009, my boyfriend (V) and his cousin (P) were home alone and they decided to have some food. Typically frying eggs was the easiest recipe for V and he started preparing leaving P in living room. While whisking the eggs V heard what seems to be a deep panting for few seconds from the backyard. The back door was slightly ajar. He thought that it must be a street dog and ignored resuming his work.

When he started frying he said that the panting sound was so clear and it was right near his ear. He said that the sound was very strange and not very dog-like but still looked around for sign of a dog anyways. Suddenly there was a heavy thump on the roof and when V moved, the footsteps moved along more like running. When he moved back it moved again. V had enough and he ran to the living room and the thing on the roof sounded like a horse running for it's life. As he reached P the footsteps ended and right after that the bulb outside the main door burst into million pieces, and while that happened the family were just entering the gate and they saw it too.

V admitted that he was terrified and to make it worse the eggs were smelling so bad that he said he couldn't explain, too much for a non-believer. He explained everything to his mother who immediately held a prayer and did some cleansing which he thinks it didn't work.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CornFlakes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BloodEman (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-06)
I am a sri lankan too... And I also believe those beliefs you have mentioned. One of my family members had such a expierience. She lives in Polonnaruwa. It was the newyear days and around 1.30 am she was awaken by a nedding to use the bathroom.

Most of the houses in polonnaruwa have their bathrooms seperated from the house, her house is also a such one. As she was walking through the backyard passing some coconut trees and bushes, she has seen a neighbour walking passing through her wearing a red frock with white dots in it.

As my aunty was half-awaken she hasn't taken it much. (sorry I forgot to tell you that she has grabbed some "kokkis" to eat while walking through. And there was about 100m distance between the house and the toilet) after she saw it she has looked back and she has seen nothing!

So she has used the bathroom (more like 'toilet') and
She has came back through the same path...

And the next morning she has thought about what happened that night and she has got the explanation.

The girl was a family member of her that has passed away and the ghost has followed her because of the oily food she had been eating.

Same as your experience?
Please respond...
😉 😉 😉
CornFlakes (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
Well I'm not sure what he meant when he said that the growl didn't sound dog-like. He could only explain that he had the feeling of someone watching him from that door and the growl, he is still positive that there was nothing near that door. P refuses to talk about it and also gets cranky if asked.

And [at] Lady-glow when girls are in their cycle their mothers don't feed them any kind of non-veg or oily foods just because this particular evil spirit called 'kalu kumaraya' translation- Black Prince would show up at night and harass them sexually. There are so many tales about this spirit, if you search you'll come across some articles related to Sri Lankan unsolved mysteries.
CornFlakes (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
[at] spiritwaiting: Yes, even after the cleansing and some rituals things only started to get worst. Their foods would rot within a day especially the dairy items even if its unopened. Women in the house knows better about cooking and foods so V's mother believed that something was definately in the house.

V was a non-believer and he would actually laugh at anyone who warns not to eat oily foods after 6pm, so basically that wasn't his mind playing tricks. He would've brushed that off if it wasn't for the light bulb exploding like a bomb. There is no way an animal could reach to that part. And I'm not sure what kind of roof they have.
Nathaniel (37 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
Lady-glow, I agree. I try never to eat eggs in the evening, as I know I will suffer for it all night long. I can eat anything else, just not eggs. It could have been just a stray dog growling, and the dog could've just run off too fast for V to see it. I've had squirrels on my roof before and they sounded like a herd of buffalo running around up there. I don't think it was anything paranormal. I think V thought it was, because he was going to eat eggs at a time when he knew he really shouldn't. And sometimes when we do something we shouldn't, we feel really bad and anything that happens (even stubbing our toes) gets attributed to as being a punishment for what we did wrong.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-13)
CornFlakes: I find your story very interesting, although our different cultural background makes me think that the reason for avoiding to eat oily foods during the evening is because they are more difficult to digest than vegetables.
I would explain any discomfort during a woman's menstrual period like a consequence of the hormonal changes that the body goes trough. Nothing paranormal about that.

Do you know what kind of material was used to build the roof of the house? A cat or even a bird walking on a tin roof would be as loud as a herd of elephants! 😲

Like Spiritwaiting, I too, wonder if anything else has happened after V's mother did the cleansing.

Thanks for sharing your story and the opportunity to know some of your cultural beliefs.❤
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-13)
[at] Cornflakes, Because you said V,doesnt think it worked after his mother did the cleansing, has anything else happened? That is quite scary to hear loud footsteps as loud as a horse trampling around on the roof. I hope someone on here can help you with this because I have no explanations.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: