You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Butler

Real Ghost Stories

The Butler

 

My name is Stephanie and this current day in time I am 21 years old. I've been witnessing paranormal activity/entities since I was a very young child and I'm about to tell you of one of the first experiences I've ever had. My mother is very spiritual and has always told me that I'm very sensitive and there's an energy about me that she feels attracts people from the other side as she is the same way. I'm one of 6 children.

My mother and father bought our house in central Delaware in the early 80s before I was born. The house was built in 1900 and is a part of the historic district. Shortly after moving in my mother did a little remodeling and a few years later I was born and grew up in the house until we moved to southern Delaware right before I entered high school. We still own the house, in fact I currently live here again as an adult with my boyfriend and a few of his friends. My mother split the house into a duplex and one side is currently rented out to me.

When I was about 8 years old (and I remember this clear as day), it was a normal school night and my mother had put me to bed around 9 o' clock. I awoke sometime late, as it was pretty evident no one else was up in the house. All was quiet and the hall light outside my bedroom door was turned off. The only light that was around was the street light that shone through my bedroom window. I opened my eyes and at the foot of my bed stood a man I could only describe as being a butler. He was tall, wore a black suit with long coat tails, white gloves, and held a silver tray on the palm of one of his hands. The man in the suit just seemed to look down at me with no real emotion in his eyes and thinking it was a dream, I slowly drifted off to sleep without feeling any real reason for alarm. I never told my mother.

What makes this true story even more unnerving is the fact that before I moved back into the house a little over a year ago, my mother and I were cleaning it out to get it ready for a new tenant that would be renting one side of the house and me who would be renting the other side. We were in the attic, which has a really cool, wooden spiral staircase, scrubbing the walls and floors since it had been uninhabited for awhile. I was coming down the stairs and as I reached the bottom, I saw a man in a suit walk down the hallway from the back bedroom to the front bedroom. No one was in the house but my mother and I. I flew back up the attic stairs, cursing and shaking and told my mother what I had seen. I said that I had seen a man that resembled a butler walk through the upstairs part of the house. My mom stopped and caught her breath. The next thing she said really freaked me out. I had never told her of my experience as a child. She looked at me with strange eyes and said "A butler? Your older sister said when she was young that she had seen a butler staring at her in her bedroom in the middle of the night. I guess we were making too much noise for him."

Since moving in again I have not seen anything else of this man in the suit but sometimes I feel eyes watching me while I'm in the upper part of the house and the hair raises on the back of my neck.

Other hauntings by xsmileystephx15

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Delaware

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xsmileystephx15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tom77611 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-15)
It looks like the butler will keep serving for asking as he can
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
Very well put, SDS. I had somehow missed Argette's compliment. 😳 True that, no one is an expert on the paranormal.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
Dear Argette, when it comes to paranormal, nobody is an expert. We just tell/suggest certain things, not even advise, out of our experience that's all. It is not the number of years into paranormal aspects that makes one somewhat conversant with the subject but the experiences of the individuals that make them better than others. That is all. Still thank you very much for the comments about me.

As far as this particular narrative is concerned, I still feel that it is residual.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
Swims, Swims, Swims... Everyone knows what a butler does is butle 😉. However, you are correct back in those days (Victorian) a butler would have seldom waited on any one in a personal way. Makes one wonder if the bedroom was always a bedroom or perhaps a parlor or study of some sort?
ERizzy (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
I really like how you told the story, it was like watching TV in my head 😉

-ERizzy
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
What a strange expierience. This is just where my mind zoomed; a butler doesn't usually wait on anyone except as a wine waiter. He's the boss so to speak of the house staff. So I wonder, since he seems to have appeared after you guys were working, either the remodel or cleaning, did he think he needed to check on you as his new employees? Must have been a sweet guy. Great story.
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
I'm no expert. I am starting to wonder if it is residual. I bow to the real experts here, like Val and SDS.

I might have mentioned earlier that I am aware of a house in my town where the same scenario is played out it the backyard from time to time. I was in that back yard recently, and I felt certain corners held something intangible. It's all so interesting to me, as I learn and unravel...
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
Hi xsmileystephx15, welcome to YGS. Very nice narration without any extravaganza and drama. Miracles said it all on our behalf. But, I feel, like Val if it could be residual.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
Fascinating story! I agree with Miracles - you told it well, eliminating the unnecessary. I wish more would write like this!

Generally speaking, homeowners in historic districts may do what they like inside the house, as long as the facade remains historically accurate. When they wish to make an exterior change, they typically gain approval from the Historic District Commission. But: the commission should also have information on the house's history, which may be helpful.

I wonder if the butler is simply keeping watch over his domain...
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
Hi Steph,
An odd thought ran through my head, reading this: since he was standing at the foot of your bed, tray in hand, perhaps he wanted to know if you needed anything? Of course we can't rule out that perhaps he was residual.
Another curious thing is out here, the houses inside the historical district can not be converted into town houses or apartments, but must stay 'intact' and as true to their period as possible. Modern plumbing being the exception, but seriously they mandate even what color you can paint. So I found that point interesting.:)
johnnycashmuse (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
Interesting read. I think it would have freaked me out if my mom told me that my sister had seen him but no one had bothered to let me know or ask if i'd seen anything. This guy was probably wondering what was going on in his home each time he showed up. Seems harmless though, more curious than anything.
JACQUIE.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
xsmileystephx15 - I like your story. Very simple, no extra drama or unnecessary flair. Straightforward and well told.

If it wasn't for the fact that your sister had seen the Butler years earlier, I would have suggested the remodeling may have stirred him up. But that doesn't seem to be the case. This is simply a true ghost story and I want to thank you for sharing it with us 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: