You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My House Growing Up

Real Ghost Stories

My House Growing Up

 

I would like to say I have really enjoyed reading others' stories, so I decided to share my own.

When I was about 12, my parents and I moved into a new house in a new town. Apparently, the previous owner was an old man that died in the house, so it's possible, he was our 'presence'.

Odd things would happen. It began when I started to hear footsteps going up and down the hallway at night. You could also hear hammering and things being dragged around in the attic. (Of course, the attic noises very well could have been local wildlife breaking in.) My parents heard things too and we always knew something was up.

Lights would turn off and on by themselves and the TV would change stations while you were watching it. It was kind of amusing, because the TV would always change back to the same channel, as if someone else was watching something and was not amused that we tried to change HIS station. Lol

Things would also go missing and reappear later. When I got older, I used to sell things online with my mother. We often sold a lot of books. One day, I snagged a couple of good titles, put them up in alphabetical order and sold them the very next day. When I went to retrieve the books for shipment, they were gone. I checked behind the shelves to make sure they hadn't somehow fallen behind the shelf. When they weren't there, I scanned all the shelves to make sure I hadn't misplaced them. (Of course, I had JUST put them up the day before, so it wasn't like it had been awhile and I had forgotten where I put them.) After searching for over an hour, I was disappointed and had to cancel the sale. A couple of days later, the books were back, right on the shelf where I had originally put them. Of course this time, they were laid on top of the books, not in order as all the others were. It was as if it someone were playing with me!

One night my father went out of town for work, so my mother asked me to watch a movie with her in her room. We watched the movie and I fell asleep in her room. She said she woke up in the middle of the night and looked over at me and saw an elderly gentleman sitting on the foot of the bed looking at me. He looked up at her, stared at her for a few seconds, got up and walked towards the closet and faded away. She didn't feel any threat at all. She said it felt more like a grandfather watching over me.

After I moved out, I came over to visit one day. We were all standing in the dining room talking about how we hadn't heard from our 'friend' in a while. Just as we said this, the TV came on and started switching channels. It was as if he was saying, "Hey, I'm still here." I suppose he eventually became comfortable with us living in his house and accepted us, but who really knows?

Other hauntings by amylou2215

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, amylou2215, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

amylou2215 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-16)
It wasn't really scary. A little unnerving at times though. Haven't spent the night at my mom's house in a long time. Wonder if he's still hanging around.:)
eternal_flame (22 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-15)
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I lived in a house that had activity when I was like 10. There were times when the television would turn on all by itself at night while we were sleeping. A ton of other stuff happened in that house too. So scary that we only lived there for like two months and then left.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
This is kind of sweet. Maybe you could ask him to go easy on the theft, 😊 but he seems peaceable.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
Hello amylou2215, welcome to YGS. The narrative is good. But I don't find that the presence was harmful and your mother also said that when she saw the elderly figure as like a grand father watching over his grandchild. And when you were talking that he wasn't present anymore or no sign of him, he just made sure that he drew your attention through TV switching on.

Nice story and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
amylou2215 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
I agree too. It was definitely heavy things. But, I wanted to look at it from all angles. To me, he seemed like someone keeping an eye on things in his house and having a bit of fun at the same time. 😊
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
When it sounded like things in the attic were being dragged accross the floor, did it sound like it was heavy things or light things? I suppose animals could drag things accross the floor, but from the way you described it, that is not the inpression I get. You said it sounded like hammering was going on up there in the attic. Mabie the attic was his work station.
It sounds like you have a bit of a prankster.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: