You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Cruising With The Boys

Real Ghost Stories

Cruising With The Boys

 

A few months ago I got my provisional license, and my dad gave me his old 1989 Ford Fairlane.

Everything was fine, and I was enjoying my new-found freedom. I decided to try to spruce the car up a little, so I went to the closest wreckers to try and find some parts for my car.

I wandered around for a little while, trying to find a car with parts that would fit mine. Amongst the rows of cars, I found a Gold coloured '89 Fairlane. It was totally destroyed. The entire drivers side of the car had been pushed in, the boot had been completely torn off its hinges, some of the doors looked like they had been cut open, and to top it off, there were dark smudges all over the interior. I pulled off the parts I needed, and took them to the counter. The guy behind the counter asked which car I'd taken the parts off, and when I told him, he said "You're pretty game, mate". He then explained to me that a few years ago the car had been involved in a fatal accident. He didn't know the details, but said he thought that it had happened in one of the nearby towns. I kind of shrugged it off, paid for my parts and went home.

I put on all my parts, and was pretty proud of my work. Then the weird stuff started happening. Driving home from TAFE one night, the electrical system started playing up. The headlights would flicker for a moment, cut out completely, then come back on on high beam. The interior light would turn itself on and off. The radio would change station or volume or even drop out completely. I'm studying Auto-Electrics, so I thought I'd try and have a crack at fixing it myself. When it kept on happening, I took it to an Auto-Electrician, who tested everything and said there was nothing wrong with the car. I realised that everything that was mucking up had come off the gold wreck, and decided that maybe the bloke from the wreckers had been onto something. Sure enough, after little research I found several news articles, most of them had a graphic photo of the car that had donated it's parts to mine.

The story was that in late 2009 a group of young guys (15-18 Year olds, guys my age) were at a party. At the end of the night a few of them were too drunk to drive their own cars, so the owner of the Fairlane decided to try and do the right thing and ferry some of them home. Here in Queensland we have a law that P-Platers can't carry more than one passenger after 11PM. He had 4 passengers, plus two of his friends who had jumped into the boot of his car, hoping to pull a prank on the driver. Trying to get his friends home before he got pulled over, he decided to take a back road to the house a few of his passengers were staying at. About halfway there he was T-boned by an elderly drunk driver trying to avoid being breathalysed. The car flipped several times, finally coming to rest at the bottom of a gully. Of the 7 people in the car, 5 of them were killed; The two in the boot were killed almost instantly, the rear drivers-side passengers seatbelt was severed in the initial crash and he was thrown from the car. The other two rear passengers were crushed when the roof collapsed, they died a few days later in hospital. Miraculously, both the driver and passenger walked away without a scratch. Several of the pictures showed the blood-soaked interior, and it occurred to me that the dark stains on the upholstery hadn't been oil or grease.

A couple of days later, sick of the electrical gremlins, I finally yelled out "Will you guys just knock it off?" The car suddenly completely died. It refused to start, and despite checking everything, it just would not start. After an hour or so, I noticed that the clock (the one I'd gotten from the Gold Fairlane) had turned on again, but instead of the actual time it read 11:37, the time the crash happened (this took place at about 3 in the afternoon). All the electrical issues stopped, and haven't happened since. But there haven't just been electrical anomalies. One day my Mum borrowed the car while hers was being serviced. When she got home from the shops, she asked if I'd ever seen anything funny in the back of my car. When I replied that some nights I thought I could see shadows on the back seat, she replied "What about an arm?". She then told me that on her way home she was stopped at a red light, and swore she saw an arm poking out of the speaker on the parcel shelf. When I told her one of the boys who was in the boot had got his arm stuck in the hole for the speaker, she just went pale. Other people have seen things in my car as well. I turned up at a party one night. When I walked up to a friend of mine, she asked where all the people in my car had gone. She swore black and blue that when I had driven past her, there had been a car load of people with me.

I'm still a bit uneasy driving at night. There's a definite presence in the car, although I've never found it to be frightening. A bit frustrating, sure. But in the end, as long as they don't mess with my lights, they're cool to ride along.

Other hauntings by JohnnyG55

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JohnnyG55, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JohnnyG55 (4 stories) (8 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Man, I didn't think this would get so much attention!
Elnoraemily - The others unfortunately died in hospital. I think the links posted are from the day after the accident.
There's a part II on the way folks. Thanks for the kind words ๐Ÿ˜Š
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Amazing account, even though it's very sad.

Good job with the research on the car itself and figuring out what happened to those teens.

I'm very impressed that you are okay with having them drive along with you, as long as they don't mess with the car. That's brave and quite commendable.

Thank you for posting information in regards to the crash in question, as well! My only question is that your account says that 5 passed and the links state only two? Or did they pass later while in the hospital?

Best wishes to you

๐Ÿ˜‰
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Wow, this is CRAZY. I can't even begin to imagine how terrified I would be if this happened to me. Kinda makes me glad I haven't gotten my license yet.
bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
This is kind of scary. But at least you have company everytime you drive or travel alone. But if that happens to me I will freak out. You are so brave you can tolerate that kind of activity. But like what you have said as long as they don't mess with your lights it's fine with you. Don't you think they need help for them to see the light?
Skinwalker68 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
I had a 'something' who we nicknamed Lilith live in my jeep for a while. I am an ASE certified mechanic, so believe me it wasn't faulty wiring. She ended up leaving after I drove her back to the cemetery where she latched on and asked her to leave. I think she just wanted to get out for a cruise and see the world.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
Wow! Your experiences gave me goosebumps! Thanks for sharing!
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
Here's another interesting account of re-using pieces from a doomed plane:

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_ (aircraft)

BTW, I meant 1972, not 1971, in my previous post.
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-19)
This story reminds me of one I read about Flight 401, an Eastern Airlines plane that crashed in the Florida Everglades in 1971. Supposedly parts of the plane were salvaged and used in other aircraft. The other aircraft then reported odd incidents connected to these parts, allegedly.

I may be mistaken, but there are other reported incidents of used parts being "haunted." Who knows? Not everything has an explanation.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-19)
That is so interesting. And like everyone, very nurturing that you keep using the car and letting the guys expierience some youth. Great story! If it's turning into a series, I can't wait for the next instalment. ๐Ÿ˜Š
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-19)
Link to Johnny's newspaper article:
Http://www.qt.com.au/news/two-teenagers-dead-highway-smash/220078/ and here's another in case that one won't work for anyone http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/two-teens-die-in-fiery-crash-20090503-ar1i.html
Although, the articles are pretty much word for word, what Johnny has posted in comments, there is one notable discrepancy. The date is May 3, 2009 not Dec. 7. Why this would be is anyone's guess. The fact remains, it still lends credence to the OP's story.
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-19)
JohnnyG55
I have three sons, so I do feel very sad about the crash and loss of young life.
My consolation is I hope their spirits are no not sinister, but going to help keep you safe as a new young driver.
Hope that doesn't sound condescending as you sound very mature, intelligent and level headed. Am I digging a deeper hole for my self. Lol.
Either way drive safe, take care and keep us all posted on any more experiences you have. Xx
JohnnyG55 (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Lady-Glow -TWO TEENAGERS DEAD IN HIGHWAY SMASH December 7, 2009. Toowoomba,Queensland.
A SEDAN carrying seven teenage boys has crashed into another vehicle on the New England Highway north of Toowoomba, killing two and seriously injuring four others.
The impact of the crash caused the car to explode into flames, trapping some of the occupants inside including two boys who police believe were travelling in the boot.
A 16-year-old boy died at the scene while a 17-year-old died while undergoing surgery at Toowoomba General Hospital.
One youth, 16, was flown by Careflight helicopter to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital; another, aged 17, has been flown to Gold Coast Hospital; and a third, aged 16, was flown to the Princess Alexandra Hospital, all with life-threatening injuries.
Of the two remaining boys, a 17-year-old remains in Toowoomba General Hospital with serious injuries however he is expected to survive. The seventh occupant of the vehicle, a 17-year-old, received only minor injuries and has been released from hospital.
The driver of the other vehicle, a man aged in his 50s, also suffered serious injuries however they are not considered life-threatening.
Debris from the crash was scattered across a wide area of the New England Highway, forcing the two northbound lanes to be diverted while police investigations were conducted at the scene, however both have now been re-opened. (Sorry about not posting the link, my computer didn't seem to want to copy & paste it.)
Pebbles_Keeper - Haha, I got a laugh out of the Christine reference. It had completely slipped my mind. As you said, thankfully it isn't as sinister.
ERizzy - Pretty Game roughly equates to "Up for the challenge". Aussie slang can be a bit odd. And yes, there have been multiple other experiences since I told them to stop. When I can post again, I'll detail them.
Mimerkki - I think I've heard this story before too, it happened sometime in the mid 70's if I can remember correctly.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
JohnnyG55: such a sad and terrible end for so many promising lives!
Could you please provide the link to read this tragic event?

I think you're lucky finding the right parts for your car, I've been looking for some parts for my CJ-7 '83 but after reading your story and in order to avoid unwanted surprises I'll check the history of the "donor", if I ever find one! ๐Ÿ˜
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Hi JohnnyG55
I really enjoyed reading your story.
Really well written and interesting.
The bloke was right you 'are pretty game'. Don't know if I could drive a car like that.
Reminded me a little of the film 'Christine'.
Thankfully though not as sinister.
Best wishes.
๐Ÿ˜Š
ERizzy (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
JohnnyG55: Cool and sad story they probably like hanging with you ๐Ÿ˜† Man its sad how they died I'm sure the driver and passenger were stunned. But its good how you're keeping the part after what happened to the teenagers.

Also, what does "pretty game" mean in Australia, because I have no clue what it means ๐Ÿ˜†

And one more thing, after you told them to stop, has there been any minor experience?

-ERizzy
mimerkki (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Hello,

I remember hearing about a passenger plane which crashed and when some of its parts were recyckled, funny things started happenig in the new plane.

Somehow the part of your story where the arm appeared from the speaker makes me think of residual haunting... If your story is really true, you have one hell of a car!
JohnnyG55 (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it a lot!:)
Miracles51031 - When it first started I was pretty tempted to just ditch the car completely, park it in the back paddock and throw a tarp over it. But, it was the only car I had. I hope they appreciate the work I put into the car too. It's come a long way from when I first started out.
BadJuuJuu - I agree with this completely, they just seem to want to hang out. The presence isn't at all scary or threatening. It's actually kind of nice to have a bit of company on the lonely, dark drive home.
Nectarvore - Yep, I drive the car daily. I believe spirits are electromagnetic in nature, and these fellas might be drawing on the energy in the car to try and manifest.
I have a bit of an update on this story, and I'd like to share a few more of my exeriences, so stay posted!
Johnny
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Bro that is seriously chilling. And you DRIVE this car, still? Wow... Intense. Sometimes when there is a moment of deep trauma, the energetic blueprint of the even can attach itself to a place or an object. It's my belief that many residual hauntings begin this way... That is to say, a haunting without an intelligent coherent or responsive entity attached. It's strange, hey, the market for objects with bad juju attached... It's a niche market for the non superstitious customer... That's certain. It's interesting about the electrics... I believe, that for some reason (I haven't figured out how... Have only seen a pattern of this...) that entities can use both electricity and water to manifest. It sounds like you have made some kind of peace with the manifestation... Still, wouldn't hurt to have your car blessed if you believe in that kind of thing. Even the wreck, you know? But I can't see anyone arranging this short of the guy who own the yard... As a mama stories like this always make me feel sad... The poor kids. What a tragedy. Your story was well told and very credible. Thank you for sharing it.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
What an intense experience. It doesn't sound like these guys mean anyone any harm, but just want you to know they're still there. Very sad, but very interesting experience. Maybe hanging out with you gives those guys some comfort.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
JohnnyG55 - what an amazing, yet incredibly sad, story. I gotta hand it to you. A lot people would have said screw this and changed those parts out for different ones.

But I'm glad you and the guys worked things out and I think they appreciate the love you have for the car as much as the previous owner did ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you for sharing this story with us ๐Ÿ˜Š

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: