You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: House Wight?

Real Ghost Stories

House Wight?

 

I live in an enormous old farmhouse in West Central Indiana. The house is surrounded by 2000 acres of grain fields, interspersed with old family cemeteries. I outlined it with more detail in my story 'Not So Quiet Neighbors'.

Someone asked in the comments of that story if the activity could have come from inside the house. I said I didn't think so, because nothing else had happened.

Well, something else has happened.

I'm still remodeling the place as I have the money and time. Last week I had the old barn foundations buried and I tore up the carpet in the living room to expose the hardwood floor underneath.

I am Pagan. I've been very spiritually active in this house, even picking out a warden tree where I give offerings of booze and meat to my Gods. My wood stove is often used to burn offerings, even in summer. I have been well taken care of by the deities, falling trees missing buildings by inches and horrific tornadoes ignoring my property completely, etc.

One thing I've felt bad about is my house being so incredibly messy. Half of it is under construction and I don't have time to organize the rest. I've joked to other Pagans that my house wight must hate me.

I was in the living room, on my hands and knees, picking carpet staples out of the floor with needlenose pliers when I see movement out of the corner of my eye.

I'm struggling with a mouse problem, so first I think it's just a disoriented mouse. Then I take a look and realize it's no mouse.

It's about four inches tall, moving along the base boards, following the perimeter of the room. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, other than it looked like a squiggle. Like a stick figure with no head; it had arms and legs and a back but no head. It didn't really walk, just sort of floated along, vibrating slightly. It went around the perimeter of the room, then floated into the kitchen and disappeared behind the refrigerator.

I didn't feel scared or threatened or anything like that. It almost felt like it was just curious about what I was doing.

Could it have been my house wight?

Other hauntings by SparklinBurgndy

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SparklinBurgndy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
I put the offerings I leave on a shelf out of the dogs' reach. My lab thinks everything is food, even stuff that isn't, so I have to be very careful as well.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
Hi SparklinBurgndy, it was RedWolf, who asked in your other story if the sound could be from inside and I echoed her other suggestion that you should ask your neighbours about the episode.

I feel that it might be Wight and go with BJJ on this issue.

But, it is very interesting to know about the Pagan offerings and worship. Quite similar to our South Indian, especially Tamil, when we offer meat, wine and food cooked specially in wooden stove.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
SparklinBurgndy (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
[at] BadJuuJuu I'm hesitant to leave things on the floor, as I have dogs who will/do immediately eat anything at their level.

[at] Nectavore That's interesting that you've seen them in Australia! I guess it's the energy being picked up?

[at] Swimsinfire This is the first time I've ever seen one, but I didn't find it threatening in any way.

[at] KissodDawnHuddy Ah, no. That wasn't it at all.
TheKissOfDawnHuddy (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
YouTube "Fresno Alien, Nightcrawler, Stick Figure" - there will be vidos resembling your encounter:)
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Love reading about different traditions. So a fey is a type of elemental spirit or feiry? Only asking because I see these everywhere. Or some times just little masses of electric wavey energy just above the ground, (or flore). Thankyou so much for posting this.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
I am not pagan and am not near as well versed as I should be, but I am agreeing with BadJuuJuu and Nectavore.

That is a fascinating experience and quite unique.

Good luck with the renovations, stay safe and best wishes.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
I have a friend who is a Pagan priest and I saw something very similar at his home. In my peripheral, a shadow the size of a mouse, not scurrying, but moving like light. Along the skirting board, from about halfway across the room to the doorway. I told him and he was very interested... He said he'd seen something similar. It must transcend being native to Australia then, haha, this particular species of fey. It most definitely sounds fey... Yeah, I think you're probably not far off with the idea of it being a domestic spirit or elemental of some kind:) I sense faerie beings are similar to animals in their coexistence with human beings... Some will always be wild, some are dangerous, some like us and choose to align themselves by living close by:) sweet:) There are taboos about thanking domestic spirits. They prefer to be shown thanks than spoken it, should they do something worthy of your gratitude.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
I wouldn't rule out the idea it's the house wight, but it's possible a different elemental spirit popped in. I would leave little gifts for the entity, I usually offer baked goods to elemental spirits. I know some people offer alcohol, or honey, whatever you feel would be appropriate. Always best to be on friendly terms with elementals, whether it's the house spirit or one attached to the land.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: