You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Was That Something?

Real Ghost Stories

Was That Something?

 

I have complained for years on this site about nothing happening in my life that could be deemed ghostly.

Now, I am not sure if I actually experienced something or if my mind and I are just not getting along.

This was about a week ago (and brought me back to this site after a few months' absence). I was laying in bed with all three of my cats and my fiance, watching TV. My fiance was already asleep, since it was a bit after midnight. I was watching one of my favorite shows and cuddling with our eldest cat while the two youngest slept. I hear a small popping sound from the hallway- sort of like dropping a bead on tile or stepping on a pistachio shell. Just a small sound, nothing that strange. Houses make odd noises all the time. My cat heard it as well and lazily looked in the direction of the hallway, obviously not very concerned.

I ignore it and continue watching my show. Between the main hallway and my bedroom is the master bath. Since I am afraid of the dark, I keep the bathroom light on. I cannot see the hallway from our bed, so I like having the security of the light. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice a small shadow, about five feet up, as if something is peeking around the corner. I look over and nothing is there. Thinking it's just the TV messing with my eyes in the dark, I resume watching my show.

About a minute, maybe two, later, I notice it again out of the corner of my eye. This time, it looks like a head and shoulder peeking around the corner, about five feet up. All I can tell is that it's a black shadow- I saw no definition, color or even features that I can think of. I turn my head towards it and it's gone. My cat, who before seemed like she could care less, has sat up and is staring in that direction with giant eyes- like she is also not entirely sure what just happened. She stayed that way for about five minutes before going back to normal.

Really, it was only a few seconds of something strange and I am not even sure what I saw. Nothing happened before and nothing has happened since.

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elnoraemily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Hi Elnora, it's been a while, like 2 years 😆

Glad to hear that you're doing well.

About your story though, it's pretty interesting, and I would probably have the same reaction as you.

And I want to join the shadow person club too 😆

And I would also like to hear about the new things that happened to you concerning the paranormal you mentioned here in the comments.

All the best
Spookie1
elnoraemily (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Ifi! <3

No, comment, I don't need more characters to say that.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Elnora, welcome back to YGS. I have had that happen to me here from time to time too and always found it odd when the animal reacts to what you're seeing. Hope all is well.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-19)
Elnora, far out welcome back!
Yes much drama you've missed. The bus still takes a spin from time to time and Padre's free angelical reading is still available.
Https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/545954420907724800/gdDuqdBe_400x400.png
Oh yeah.😉
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
elnora, good to see you're back!
Thank you, Martin and Miracles 😳
About your story, elnora... Not sure what you saw. Maybe the shadow likes popping bubble wrap? Honestly, sometimes ghosties seem to like making weird noises. An attempt for attention, maybe. I think it was Wish-Not, had a flatulent ghost (title was Tap, Tinks, and Toots). Now, that's going a bit far for attention, no? (I think I'd take the popping sound over that! 😆)
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
Oh, that is fantastic! Val is awesome <3

I can't say that I am sad to have missed those posts or the drama that followed. My desk can only take my head hitting in so many times.

And agreed, Martin, the mods here have always been absolutely excellent:P
Martin (602 posts) mod
+5
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
I want to take the opportunity to thank our mods here for keeping this place sane! I just want this site to be a decent and mature place to discuss things paranormal, even with the difference in ages, cultures and nationalities.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
Yeah, I think BJJ needed a break. While you were gone, we went through a rash of idiotic submissions. The kind that make you want to pull your hair out and smash your computer into tiny, tiny pieces. And, unfortunately, during that same time some of our members were getting way out of hand.

As for new mods, a few months ago we welcomed valkricry as our newest mod. She has been a great help and asset 😊
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
I did see that BJJ is gone: (I haven't stumbling upon any of the new mods yet!

I do have a few new ones, mainly from my sister:) I shall get to work on those and read your new ones!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
Elnora- Welcome back! Hope all is well. Indeed things have changed but most things do.

I usually just set back and read. I'm not as active with the comments as I once was. Someone is bound to write what I am thinking.

It (some members), like the world now, is easily offended by the smallest thing that was not intended.

Still have great mods, including great new ones. 😉

Hope to see you around. Maybe you have a new story or two to share. I think I've added a few since your LONG hiatus 😁
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-17)
Oh, Wish-Not <3

I've missed you! I'm touched that you checked in on me <3

A lot is different around here: (
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-29)
Just stopping by for a quick visit. It's been a year since we have heard anything from you. Hope this finds you doing well my friend.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-24)
Elnora- Greetings my friend. Realized that it is about time for the wedding if it has not happened already. Wanted to congratulate and wish blessings to you and your new husband.

Hope to see you around this place from time to time. There's a whole new group now. There are a few of the regulars, and the mods.

Anyways, congrats again.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
As I remember it, it seemed to be very quiet and very peaceful.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
So You've been there, did anything happen, did you see anything because that place is supposed to be haunted.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
I actually went there as a child on a vacation. My mom was very into making sure we understood the importance of history.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
Wow that looks like a really nice hotel though, and you live in New Mexico (I'm assuming because that's what it says up Top) have you ever heared of Montezuma Castle?
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
I've been wanting to go to the really haunted places around the country, but work and such get in the way. There are some old asylums I would love to check out:D

My city claims to be very haunted, but most it is a touristy thing:/ They do ghost walks in our Old Town every month or so and several of the restaurants in that section claim to be haunted. Not very interesting, sadly, unless you are from out of town.

There is a "haunted" hotel I want to spend a weekend at that is conveniently located across the street from my favorite bar:P It was an old TB hospital in the 1900s, then a mental hospital, then stood empty for a decade or so, then became a hotel. Lots of history. This: http://www.hotelparqcentral.com/
The outside facade is the same as it was when it was built and the rooms are the same, as well, just gutted and updated. Gorgeous place. They have random artifacts left over. I have a friend who claims to have seen a little girl appear there.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
Elanoraemily, well maybe it was something! I can't believe that if you wanted to see something ghostly you wouldn't just go on a ghost tour or something long before now. I think it would be better to see something elsewhere than in your own. Thanks for sharing your story. And again its great to see you back, there aren't a whole lot of people on YGS that sign up and stay. (There is a lot of one time posters).
AngeLeeS (8 stories) (20 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
As babygoatpuller said, welcome to shadow people club.
Maybe it was a visitor from beyond...
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
That's so interesting you both heard the same noise! This is why it's important people exchange details. 😊
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
Ha, now I am a little freaked to know that someone else is like: "Oh, yeah, THAT sound!"
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
I think it's probably correlated. Like maybe a "heads up, I'm here" kind of thing. You shove it to the back of your mind and soon after something bigger happens.

My SP hadn't been around for awhile and it's been fairly quiet but lately I'm getting the feeling someone is here. The small things are starting to pick up again.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
That is actually an oddly fitting description of that sound. I was not sure if I was just tripping or if that was actually somehow correlated.

I feel less like a crazy person, a bit. It's odd that was I was on the site everyday, nothing ever happened. I was off for several months and something weird happens.

The heck.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
I know that popping sound Elnora! I heard it the night I got the creepy footsteps and know exactly what you're talking about. Sounded like a marble had been tossed and bounced a few times.

As for the shadow thing. The first time, yes, just a "meh" moment. But when you got definition with the head and shoulders the second time, not so "meh".

My cat, I call him Freak Show now, alerted me to my shadow person. He was eating on the counter and jerked his head up and I turned around at the same time and saw it full on.

Welcome to the shadow people club! 😆
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
No, nothing in the hallway. However, I do have three cats and I didn't have the nerve to investigate just in case something was actually there. If there was something on the floor and the kittens got to it, it's likely hidden in some obscure corner of my house:P

I was pretty convinced that my eyes were just having fun, until the cat was also alerted by it. That was the strangest part, really, was the my cat was just transfixed at the same moment I thought I saw something.

I have no idea, really, what to make of it. *shrugs*
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
Elnora, I'd say you've been spending too much time reading stuff on here but you'd taken a break. So I guess the next step is joining the shadow people club. 😜

I honestly don't know. I do know exactly what you mean about a TV in a dark room that does the strangest things to perception. But your cat kind of clinched the deal.

Yeah, reckon someone was playing silly buggers.

Did you find anything in the hallway later that could account for popping noise?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: