You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghosts of Burma Airfield, Kanpur

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghosts of Burma Airfield, Kanpur

 

Kanpur, a large industrial city in northern India may not seem the quintessential haunting ground, what with its mammoth population and the appalling lack of living space, but upon driving over to the Military Cantonment side of the city - Napier Road to be precise - one comes across the vast emptiness of the Burma Airfield. Currently known as the Civil Aerodrome, used for imparting the occasional Gliding Lesson to NCC Cadets (sort of like senior scouts and guides) and even more rarely for landing private craft.

During the Second World War the Airfield was one of the many in India used by the British to lend support to their troops. In 1990 - 91, my old man, being an army officer, had taken up residence with the family in 23 Napier Road which was across the road from the aerodrome and I, being 16 - 17 years of age, was discovering the joys of spending time with young women in any degree of solitude.

One evening in the empty moat surrounding the runway, my lady friend and myself were busy doing what teens do and had failed to note the approaching darkness. Determined to finish what we had started and unmindful to the possible dangers of being alone with a buxom young thing in such a lonely place, especially in the crime riddled hellhole that the city is, I had thrown all caution to the winds and wanted a repeat performance but only this time, on the boundary wall of the airfield. As we were trudging blindly through the darkness with my girlfriend in tow, all of a sudden I felt as though my entire body was tightly wrapped up mummy like in a bandage of static electricity and something was happening around us, of which I was acutely aware, but just what it was, I had no means of ascertaining, owing to the darkest darkness I have ever known.

It was then that I realized that we were not the only ones there. Though I could see nothing at all, I had the distinct feeling that we were surrounded by a group of unseen hands who were rapidly centering in upon us from all directions. By this time I had unknowingly left my girlfriend's hand and was half running, urging her to do the same. She seemed unperturbed and complied until she realized that I was no longer running ahead of her, but had stopped someplace behind.

She called out to me with a certain degree of panic in her voice, which I plainly heard but was unable to answer back because my active mind was straining to perceive something that was way beyond my five senses. In the time that it took my girlfriend to stop, turn back, call out to me and return to the spot that I seemed transfixed to, I felt the passing of eternity as though time had slowed down drastically.

In that space of time, I felt as though I was the pole in a Maypole dance and these unseen beings running around me peeling off band after band of static electricity that I had felt was enveloping me. Upon feeling that I was rid of the bands, I wanted to do nothing but get the hell out of there, but the moment I moved, I felt the whole bands of electricity routine start all over again, only this time, in reverse, as though the entities running around me had continued circling me even after completely peeling off the first bands of static.

Again I seemed to be tied up in the same way only this time it was much tighter. The whole peeling and unpeeling process went on Lord only knows for how long. It was only when my friend came back that I was able to move again. Only this time I did nothing but held her hand tightly and beat a hasty retreat out of there. This is the first time that I have ever related this incident to anyone.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aishwarya bhanu chauhan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2018-07-14)
anshikha,
Aishwarya is no longer an active member, and may not even see your comment.
anshikha (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-14)
Hi, wanted to contact you regarding our study on Burmese stories in india. Could you provide your email id?
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-28)
I never thought that the city in which I live in also has a place for such scary experiences. Spine chilling story it is.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
AIshwarya Bhanu Chauhan - if this is you, please DO NOT post a phone number on here. Thank you. If you want to put an email, that's fine, but not a phone number.

People, please think about what you're asking, okay? There are millions of idiots out there, and I'm sure we have more than a few on our site. So please, do not give, or ask for, personal information to be posted where everyone can get it.

Thank you.
Rachna (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
AIshwarya Bhanu Chauhan? Is that you? If you are, please give a number I can call?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
discerninguser,

I've been reading your comments and I have to say something about this one.

There is a reason the comments stopped 3 years ago... And it seems you discovered why...

Rook
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
Huh...what kind of story is this? It is an incomplete story... Where is the rest of the story?

It is also very strange that nobody else writing in the comments found this peculiar... Your story has stopped in the middle of a sentence...

Maybe you pressed the submit button before you finished writing the story... Or was it some ghost that stopped you?
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
you've got a ghost hunter for your experience and no use of more comments
Scary boy
manudhir (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Hey ABC forgot to mention my e mail ID...
dhirmanu [at] gmai.com do write back
manudhir (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Dear ABC
So finally I manage to catch the Ghost.
This is Manu Dhir from IHM Goa in case that helps.
I have been trying to get in touch with you for the last 13 years Buddy... But nobody seemed to have any clue. I must have tried all the sites for your name. Anyways I hope you get this message. My no. Is 9819176176 and I am in Mumbai. Do get in touch... We have a lot to catch up on
CHEERS!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
Hello aishwarya bhanu chauhan, This is definitely an interesting story. I have heard of a similar experience, but am unsure what this sensation means, but I thought to tell you that is was different. Thank you for sharing this story.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Dear aishwarya bhanu chauhan,

You did not say exactly what you thought happened to you. I wish authors would do that more. :)

I can see eyebrows being raised on your story.

Since we come from a black and white physical world, I would like to suggest some following possibilities for your experience. The beings could have been selfishly taking your energy for themselves (feeding on you) or freeing you from some type of energy bands that imprisoned you. Not knowing your history, you may have done something which brought these beings to you.

Well, as always, it is your experience and story and your explanation is as good as any I can give here.

Thanks and Blessings. Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
A.B.C., Thanks for sharing your story with us. It was certainly an interesting one to say the least. 😉

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: