You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Conservative Ghost, Or?

Real Ghost Stories

Conservative Ghost, Or?

 

So supposedly, before I moved in with my current roommate, he has this confederate cuckoo clock he kept hanging in his bedroom. It features a confederate solider riding a horse, brandishing a saber and flying a southern flag. Every hour a small set of cannons come out and fire off a few rounds.

He tells me one night him and his wife are laying in bed when the figure of the solider is literally thrown off the clock and hit a wall.

At the time, I lived down the block, so I came by the house and checked the clock out. I kicked the wall, which was pretty solid, the clock stayed in place. I checked the figure, which is mounted via a special clip, so unless someone with fingers pulled it off, working the clip, it wouldn't normally fall off, more or less being thrown a few feet.

Fast forward a few years and my friend is getting divorced now and wants me to move in to help pay his mortgage. I agree and when I move into his house, it's destroyed.

So we spend a few days cleaning the house when we found his old clock. I like it, I think it's neat, I love cuckoo clocks. So I hang it in the living room.

So I come home last night (07/03/15).

This clock has been hanging in the living room for about 2 months, when I come home it's laying on the floor, a few feet away from the spot I hung it. The anchor point still firmly embedded in the wall.

I inspect the clock and it's now broken. I put it on the kitchen table and go into the basement to check my laundry when I hear something hit the floor, upstairs I now discover the clock is on the floor.

Jesus, someone really hates this clock. It is now locked up and secured in a display case in the house.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Larkin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

prettycurse (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
I may be wrong, but this makes me think it could be an (otherwise very quiet) intelligent haunting who doesn't like the theme of the clock!
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-07)
Hello:

I saw that you are from Wisconsin, and am only assuming the activity occurred there as well. After a simple search, I found that many people were saved through the Underground Railroad in WI, something I didn't know but would have assumed due to the proximity to Canada.
I know that the home is only 100 years old, but it may have been built over another foundation as is often done (sometimes utilizing the old basement/cellar where people may have been hidden). You can easily find out if your old neighborhood was involved on historic sites. It would make a lot of sense if that were the case. Just another theory to float.

Blessings,
Lynev
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-04)
Whoops! As much as I love th US's history, I didn't mean to post it twice in the same message 😕
Sorry, Larkin.
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-04)
Howdy folks,

No, the clock was a wedding gift for my friend when he got married. Like it was brand new at the time.

I've heard other stories about his house. Supposedly a friend of his and his girlfriend were staying the night upstairs and in the morning they complained about the lights in the hall flicking on and off all night. Each time they stayed it happened. I live up there now and don't have any issues. /shrug

As for haunting laws? I don't think it's silly at all. If a house has a history of a haunting, as a buying you should have every right to known.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-04)
Larkin'
Did your friend buy this at a garage/yard sale? Just a thought because if he did the previous owner had problems with spirits maybe he sold things that he/she thought might be the problem. Just a thought.
Just for a laugh, In New York there is an old law on the books saying that you must tell potential buyers that your house is haunted (if it is). If you don't tell the potential buyer finds out from neighbors the contract can be canceled and the potential buyer gets their down payment back. When I heard about this I googled it and sure enough it was still on the books about about 5 years ago. Now isn't that a silly law?
Regards
Red.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
Biblio,

Huzah! Huzah! Huzah!

Loving the in-depth history and valid points made during your surmation (sp?). So many people have never taken the time to look beyond what is taught AS HISTORY in our schools today.

Anyway...I do agree with you... If a former owner is 'hanging around' and was a Union sympathizer... It MAY explain what happened to the clock... I hope Larkin does a bit of research and keeps us updated to their findings.

Respectfully,

Rook
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+5
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
Greetings, Larkin.

I did not suspect you of racism (though, there are probably narrow-minded people in Wisconsin, just like everywhere else). Wisconsin sent over 91, 000 men to fight for the Union; I suspected you've got a deceased patriot who felt disrespected by a Confederate timepiece.

Just a thought.

-Biblio.

Just so we're being VERY clear, the South seceded in protest against "Big Government" on the Federal level interfering with each state's right to pass its own laws ("These United States," in which 'State' means 'Country'). That's the way the U.S was set up after being run by a monarchy that was thousands of miles and months of travel away. In fact, the very first state to threaten to secede from the union was Massachusetts.

The South's economy was based upon slavery & a multitude of human rights abuses, so the North used Slavery as political spin; England, who'd lost 2 wars to America (the first because England was winning a war with France, though Spain was involved in complicating the action, and put Cornwallis in charge of a bunch of Hessian mercenaries to deal with the problem; the second because the King had agreed to American demands BEFORE Americans started shooting, then -after Brits torched the White House, a freak hurricane swept through D.C., separating cannons from caissons -which broke horses' legs and people's ribs, and the debris of the caissons and wagons became shrapnel. The muddy streets were churned and flooded, so no-one could get out of the way. Yes, the War of 1812 was won by a hurricane, was resolved before the first shot was fired, had a fort built 2 miles North of the border to keep Tory Canadians out, and the most decisive battle was led by a psychopath named Andrew Jackson whose invasion of the port of New Orleans was AFTER the peace treaties from before the war had been approved by both sides. In England, this is what is known as "a c*ckup.") The potential for a British to return and correct Americans' spelling of 'neighbour,' 'colour,' and 'honour,' Lincoln knew that England had outlawed slavery and speculating in the slave trade about 20 years earlier, so no matter how badly the British wanted the South's cotton for their factories, they couldn't be seen to support a slave-holding nation against one with theoretically-free people of any race.

The North won, thanks to a very lucky drunk named Grant; this country became "THE United States;" a deranged actor assassinated the one Northerner who wanted to extend the hand of friendship to the South; the next election was rigged; carpetbaggers headed to the South to exploit both Black and White Americans; and the Remington company restructured its metalworking foundries from producing munitions to typewriters. It also meant that a song composed by an Ohioan staying in a New York City hotel could once again be played in the North without leading to accusations of disloyalty to the Union.

Happy July 4th, my Greetings, Larkin.

I did not suspect you of racism (though, there are probably narrow-minded people in Wisconsin, just like everywhere else). Wisconsin sent over 91, 000 men to fight for the Union; I suspected you've got a deceased patriot who felt disrespected by a Confederate timepiece.

Just a thought.

-Biblio.

Just so we're being VERY clear, the South seceded in protest against "Big Government" on the Federal level interfering with each state's right to pass its own laws ("These United States," in which 'State' means 'Country'). That's the way the U.S was set up after being run by a monarchy that was thousands of miles and months of travel away. In fact, the very first state to threaten to secede from the union was Massachusetts.

The South's economy was based upon slavery & a multitude of human rights abuses, so the North used Slavery as political spin; England, who'd lost 2 wars to America (the first because England was winning a war with France, though Spain was involved in complicating the action, and put Cornwallis in charge of a bunch of Hessian mercenaries to deal with the problem; the second because the King had agreed to American demands BEFORE Americans started shooting, then -after Brits torched the White House, a freak hurricane swept through D.C., separating cannons from caissons -which broke horses' legs and people's ribs, and the debris of the caissons and wagons became shrapnel. The muddy streets were churned and flooded, so no-one could get out of the way. Yes, the War of 1812 was won by a hurricane, was resolved before the first shot was fired, had a fort built 2 miles North of the border to keep Tory Canadians out, and the most decisive battle was led by a psychopath named Andrew Jackson whose invasion of the port of New Orleans was AFTER the peace treaties from before the war had been approved by both sides. In England, this is what is known as "a c*ckup.") The potential for a British to return and correct Americans' spelling of 'neighbour,' 'colour,' and 'honour,' Lincoln knew that England had outlawed slavery and speculating in the slave trade about 20 years earlier, so no matter how badly the British wanted the South's cotton for their factories, they couldn't be seen to support a slave-holding nation against one with theoretically-free people of any race.

The North won, thanks to a very lucky drunk named Grant; this country became "THE United States," a deranged actor assassinated the one Northerner who wanted to extend the hand of friendship to the South,

Happy July 4th, my American friends. Though a proud Brit, I really do love living here! Your history is endlessly entertaining.
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
Well, my friend was the one who originally bought the clock and he was upset when he found out it was broken.

We rarely have friends over to the house and most of the time we do, the other is home. To be fair my friend spends most of his time outside the house because he hates sitting around.

I actually do have a cat, but he's a munchkin breed and has a hard time just jumping up on the back of the couch. Plus his eyes are crossed really bad, I'm sure it's possible he did it, but I doubt it.

I want to be clear right now, I didn't hang the clock because I am or ever was racist. I just thought it was a neat clock.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
Larkin, don't sweat the typoed date too much. We've all been there and done that. I have to do lots of paperwork too, and I can't tell you how many times, AFTER I've left work I realize I've put the wrong date on everything that day! Rook asked you answered -case closed.
The clock - well, it's a fallacy that something has to be antique to have something attached to it. Age only increases the chances, from what I understand. By the way, that clock does sound pretty cool.
Were you home alone when this happened, or as Rook suggested, is there a possibility of a human agent?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
I was just curious... Besides it gave me time to think...

Other than possible sesmic actvity in your location... Unlikly based on the two very close experiences... We move onto the next question... Could an animal... Possibly a cat... Have 'attacted' this confederate coo coo clock because of its moving parts (just considering natural possibilities first)?

What is the history of the home... The property... The clock itself (I know you said it's not old... But it may have something to do with things).

Let's not forget visitors and your roommate... Is it possible someone else could have physically moved this clock... Considering resent news stories I wonder how 'popular' a confederate themed clock would be... Despite how good the quality of workmanship is.

Just a few thoughts I had.

Respectfully,

Rook
Larkin (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
I work second shift and come home really late, I also don't concearn myself daily with the dates unless I have to fill out paper work at work, sometimes I just don't do it because I feel like the place I work at doesn't even read my papers.

Long story short, I sit on my phone all day at work, only do my job when I have to and made a typo.

I apolgize if this has cause any confusion. If anyone feels I wrote fiction, please remove it.

Of anyone wants proof, I can take a picture of the clock in the case. But that's not going to prove it was simply a mistake and a typo.

I understand reguardless.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-03)
Can I ask one teeny, tiny little question... Just one?

How did you... Let me quote your experience...

"So I come home last night (07/03/2015)."

How did you manage to have your experience published a full day before the actual experience?

Just curious.

Respectfully,

Rook
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-02)
The house is over a 100 years old, anything is possible. Besides the clock, I haven't had any issues, but I like to leave well enough alone.

The clock isn't an antique by any means, so I doubt there's anything attached to it.
Lynne2015 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-02)
Hi Larkin, for some reason your story amused me, especially when that soldier was literally thrown off the wall clock. I think something or someone hates that clock or might be a ghost or something which has a connection to it. Was it antique when your roommate has them? I remember a story of mine almost similar to yours. I have a rocking horse toy and is about 10 inch small and it plays a long playing kiddie sound. Onetime, it rocked in the middle of the night as if someone pushed it and makes a rocking movement. I was awakened by it and I checked the time, it was 12 midnight. It was on the floor. Everybody was sound asleep so no one ever touched it. When I picked it up and placed it on the table and turned my back to sleep, it has been thrown off the table for some reason and it played again. Something or someone must have been playing with it or hated it same as your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: