You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Ghost or Earthquake?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost or Earthquake?

 

I joined the military when I was sixteen. My father didn't like it, so he marched me straight down to the recruiter's office and had them tear up the contract. Then I decided a few months before my eighteenth birthday that I was going for it again, but keeping it secret. I did not have a horrible childhood. I knew that my parents loved me even though there was conflict. I knew that they didn't agree with what I wanted out of life, so the nearest thing to a fresh start was in the service. My parents were disappointed, my siblings were upset with me, the church was against it and none of my friends understood.

I set out to change the world. I made it through Boot camp, the second time around. I had an attitude and had a problem keeping my mouth shut. A.T. school was easier, but my first assignment was the best! I got stationed on Coronado Island, California. Surrounded by the ocean, SEALS buds marching day and night while chanting, mess hall across the street and the club just two blocks down. What else could I ask for?

I went through about six roomies in the barracks in a four month period. I was one of the lucky ones who only had either two or three others in my room. As I worked in the barracks, I kept changing the numbers in the system so that it looked as if my room was only set up for two. I conveniently skipped that room on inspection walks so it became the "contraband" room. Anything that was illegal during an inspection was placed in the ceiling to floor lockers that were empty. I had a "black list" and emptied these items into the locker, only to disperse them after an inspection.

The night before the Commanding Officers inspection was a busy night. People from all four floors were standing in line for some locker space. My roomie was taking notes and we were in full swing getting ready for a complete inspection. After everyone left, we locked up the two lockers asking each other what we would keep for the collateral on all the goods. We both fell into the deep and peaceful sleep of the truly exhausted.

About two in the morning, I awoke to my bed shaking. As the lights were out and I could see the hall light through the crack on the bottom of the door, I told my roomie sleepily to stop shaking my bed. I then heard the mirror on the back of the door begin to shake, next the first locker began to rattle as if someone was trying to open it, though it was padlocked. Then the second locker, then mine, next my roomie's. When it got to my roomies bed it actually sounded as if someone was picking up the foot and letting it fall down. My roomie shot up in bed and instantly yelled at me to stop messing with the bed. I was a pretty big prankster, so I can see why. With our eyes and ears, we followed the sound all around our room until it ended back at my bed.

Then it stopped. We looked at each other without a word, then jumped out of bed and ran for the hallway. We opened the door and stood in the door jam, yelling to the rooms down the hall "Did you feel that earthquake?" and all the other panicked, things an earthquake rookie yells. To our surprise, we woke our whole floor up. No one else had been woken by the shaking. We eventually went back to bed.

When daylight hit, we checked out the room for damage, and seeing none, went to get some chow. We asked a few people if they felt the quake and were asking what it would read on the Richter scale as our entire room was rippled by it, and were told there was no earthquake during the night. These guys had stood night watch, so they would have known.

The only real damage was to a gallon of unpasteurized apple cider that was never going to make it to its perfect potency. Items had been shifted and some fell, but nothing was harmed, save for our sleep and peace of mind that is.

What causes these things to happen? Was our room targeted my a ghost who was not thrilled with our contraband room? I will probably never know as I never investigated the place. I do know that my base was a former Nazi prison camp, and sky views will show that the enlisted men's barracks are still in the shape of the swastika. At least they were in 1990 when I was there. I'm not sure if you can look up photo's of the base, and I do not know if they are readily available, but it is the Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado, California.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
Shinigami0

"Miegatalipisme Kirie otheosmou, miapostis apemou. Proshes istin voithianmou Kirie."

I've only just found this story. I know I'm a bit late into it but I may be able to offer a rough translation as I'm greek.

The syntax and spelling are a bit off but if it's ANCIENT GREEK, that would explain it.

It means "Abandon me not Lord my God, remain close to me. Extend Your help to me Lord."
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Hmmm. But if you break down the key points of BOTH experiences, they are the same.
I have not really took another running look and research into this for a while. Perhaps it is time to have another go. 😊
Thanks!
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Wow this seems like a really strong one. OK let me explain the incident - I was living by myself for the first time in a new apartment in UK. It was a brand new building and I was the first tenant in my one bed flat. After almost 6 or 7 months at the flat, I was settled and that particular night as usual I slept and was in deep sleep... Sometime during the night I felt like my be was shaking, I was so sleepy that I did not make anything of it and just slept. The next morning I got up and recalled what happened and looked around to see if anything had falled off or broken if it was an earthquake... But nothing. So until date I wonder about it.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Ah, ok. I guess people who have experienced an earthquake would notice it less. For me, poltergiest really came to mind, as well, mainly just by looking at the description of activity. (And the fact that there were that many women in a building). 😆
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
You WOULD pick THIS story to read all the comments on Shinigami0. 😊 No matter, just proves that even when one is among "peers", there is still adversity.
A bit ago I had a few issues with a couple of people on site, and they were blowing up my personal e-mail and such, so Ms Tammy and I decided to add Blessings to each of my stories. We chose the form that was the most comfortable for ourselves, and... There you have it. If I am not mistaken, I believe it is written in Greek.

As for this story. No, I never really DID figure out what it was. I am leaning heavily on the Poltergeist idea, as it would really make sense. I lived in a female barracks with women ages 18 through retirement, so the hormones certainly were present enough to make for a manifestation.
On the other hand, I had never been through an earthquake before this happened, so troyarn's thoughts (as it ALSO makes complete sense, and written by someone who experienced Quakes before, TO someone who never HAD) are logical as well.
I am thinking this is just one of those times that the right answers may not be too clear, as there is no real way to check it out. It has been YEARS since I lived on that island, and do not plan on returning anytime soon, save for in my memories. Good and bad came out of that place, and I prefer to bring to mind only the good things.
It would be interesting to know though, how many times an earthquake DOES that. I guess I just assumed that if you are IN an earthquake, your whole EARTH shakes at once. I just can not find any support of this idea.
Wado.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Oh, something else I forgot and I've been dying to know ever since I saw it: what is the translation of Rhode's comment, below mine? Sorry if this is invasive, but I read that comment a few months ago, and when it comes to things written in a different language, it just kills me to want to know. (Darn curiosity!). 😆
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Good Lord, WhiteBuffalo! I was randomly clicking on stories I hadn't read, and through posters' comments, this story popped up. Before I read this story, a poster's comment caught my eye, so I wanted to see what the hype was about. SHEESH! What some have to go through at times! I'm very sorry about that, and by the looks of it, I'm glad that it ended.

Aaanywaay- I've read your stories and your comments; in my eyes, you're one of the most credible posters on this site, hence why you're a mod and on my favorite list. ❤

Like always, this is another one of your stories that grabbed and kept my attention. Its interesting what entities can sometimes make us feel, especially when going through rough patches, or general changes. The "earthquake" was really interesting. I wonder if the entity just had a surge of energy he could use for that. I would probably be freaking out, somewhat like your roommate did.
I know this story was posted a while ago, but did you ever figure out what it was? (After a while of reading comments, I kind of gave up). 😆
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Miegatalipisme Kirie otheosmou, miapostis apemou. Proshes istin voithianmou Kirie.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Google: "Mostly haunted-haunting or poltergeist" and focus on "However,the theory that poltergeist... Has been disputed... Gauld and Cornell..."

Also, "Haunting and Poltergeist:Multidisciplinary Perceptives" by William T. Jones
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Hi again Autumn-thanks for your patience 😊.

I've been studying poltergeist cases for quite some time now and all the articles and research on such phenomena agree on one thing:differences between poltergeist and actual hauntings are hard to distinquish especially when poltergeist activity is in the early stages.

New research has shown that poltergeist doesn't necessarily involve only adolescents but adults as well depending on their confusion and stirred up emotional state.

My estimation about the events that night, despite the fact that the particular place might very well have had its own history and activity, is that it was poltergeist indeed. The only difference is, I'm in agreement with those scientists who believe that poltergeist involves a spirit's intervention and it's not simply energy activated by the individual. I have followed cases of people who experienced poltergeist earlier in life only to find that they were 'haunted' in their adulthood. In short, one has to have that something, that inner power to make his innate feelings and thoughts materialize when younger.

As I'm going through your stories, that particular incident serves as a 'beacon' for what was/is to follow next.

Look at the energy surrounding your own children and how this energy when still infants has come to 'embrace' them later in life- how uncontrollable it seemed in the early years and how controllable it is now (our son's help at the hospital).

That may come to explain why I fell out of bed so often and cried 'quake' as a child only to have the rest of my family feeling sorry for my nightmares.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Thank you Tammy, for reading the story, even if you can not recall what it is that you intended to say 😊. Whenever you think on it, just come on back!

Hello troyarn, I have got to honestly say that as you started your comment with the explanation that you did, you made me pay a bit more attention. As you have been through the whole Who-Rah experience also, that let's me know that you have the mind set, or at least used to, as I have. I believe the most puzzling part of this experience was the "wrap around" and that no one else (even those in the mess hall who were NOT sleeping at the time in question) had felt a thing.
Thank you so much for your opinion. I appreciate all of the feedback I can get.
Autumn
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Coronado Island... Man I miss San Diego! I was there in 1986 and later in 1996.
While in Marine boot camp, we had a few shakes that caused some damage. One was at night when I was on guard duty. It messed up a few things but never woke most people up.
I do feel this was just an earthquake.

As to why you got so much hate mail, that is beyond me. Abby (or whatever) must have had a few too many before she (he) came on here.

This story seems perfectly real.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Ummmm I've been meaning to write a comment on the story since I haven't read all of your experiences but I'm afraid I forgot what I wanted to say.

What the heck was THAT all about? I had no idea you went through such harassment and I'm sorry.

I'll to get back to the comment part as soon as the headache goes away.
bardsidhe (38 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
Residual Hauntings are Echoes of past events, they are Visual or Audible but do not interact with the physical, PolterGiest a fitting word in this case means only Noisy Ghost in German, kind of Ironic given the shape of the Enlisted Barracks (yes I looked up an arial picture) and of who was housed there. I think someone wanted your attnetion
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-22)
Thank you Isabella,
To tell you the truth, I had researched for many years, but the most KNOWLEDGE that I received was from right here, on this site. If it were not for the chance to let someone dissect an entire experience, and take it apart bit by bit, I do not think I would have learned so much.
Thank you for the invite, do not be surprised if I take you up on that. 😉
isabella (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
well..."buffy" 😜 you seem to know a lot of this supernatural ghost things... Or at least I've seen from your comments...I'd have a few things to tell you that can maybe clear what happened... If you want to talk just ask:P
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hello Buffy! An adult who acts like a child, I don't believe, can bring on a poltergeist. However, I do think that it is highly likely that an adult can bring a poltergeist in if there is a lot of stress, anxiety, depression or sexual frustration. And yes, there is a spirit or ghost involved. It manifests off of the energy. I hope that answers your question. ~Shelby ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
I know that it may be highly irregular for a person to post a comment with questions in it to their own story, but I have to ask. Shelby brought up a really good question for me.
If poltergeist are generally around teenage girls who are going through the life change and have this big bundle of energy that is just trying to release itself, could an adult who acts like a child also be the cause? What I mean to say is, is this phenomenon age sensitive?
Also, are poltergeist activities associated with a ghost? I ask this as I just found out recently that residual haunting really do not have a ghost present, only the picture of said ghost.
Can anyone help me out with this?
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hey buffy. I really hope you do not mind me giving you that 'pet name'. I don't know if you will go back to read any comments on the story, "Orbs Floating Over My Grandmother's Gravestone" by 4u-allie, but I have a message just for you so read it ok!? Talk to you later!~Shelby ❤ 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
Gotcha! I know EXACTLY what your saying. I tend to act like a kid even though I'm thiry-three years old. It's the kids, they keep you young!😆 😉~Shelby ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
You see, Shelby, now that I know a bit more about poltergeist, I would have to agree with you. I do not know about it being ALL me though 😜 Could have been. I was young, and in the circumstances I would say I was very frustrated. We had much to hide in a very little time frame. It was hardly ever an organised situation. There were usually people pushing and shoving to get better looks at what others were submitting to the closet.
I was not very smart when I was younger. In fact, occasionally I slip back into that mind set 😆 and am wondering now if some of the things that occur in our home are a result of that too. Hmmm, may have to do some more checking into that.
Thanks for your comment!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Hey Whitebuffalo, maybe you should rename this one poltergeist or earthquake! 😆LOL! It centered around you. Sexual angst maybe? 😉 ~Shelby ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Thank you lian01, just about everything I was thinking from the beginning came out in your post. I wish I could find the roommate from this story and ask her to come along for the ride, but she has gone off to places unknown, as apparently so have I, and I haven't the foggiest idea of the next step in finding her. I have been looking for her for unrelated reasons for quite some time.
"A bit late" for you to post? Never! I check on my comments almost daily just to see if I can find a tangible reason for this stuff going on. Thanks again.
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
WOW! I wish I wasn't so lazy, because if I'd been checking regularly I wouldn't have missed out on putting my two pence worth in on this one! And even though I'm a bit late, I'm still going to tell you all what I think...ha!
Ok, first things first... The story. It seems most people forgot to actally mention your story and what they thought of it. I liked it! If it was an earthquake, surely the rest of the building would have felt it too?! I have no idea what it was, but it sounds scarey as hell and I'm glad you posted it.
Secondly...CHILL OUT PEOPLE! Things often tend to get a bit serious on here, and I know I shouldn't, but I find it quite amusing. Wrong I know, but you gotta admit, some people take this site WAY too seriously!? I love this site and I think Martin does a tip top job with running it. It has helped me through countless bored hours at work, and provided me with some wicked ghost stories to tell friends. But it is just that... A website. A place for people to post stories and others to comment. Some people seem to get a bit too involved and take things very personally. I've even done it myself! There's a big wide world out there people, and if the most important thing consuming your life is whether or not some story on a website is true, you need to get out more!
I'm not targeting this at anyone in particular, it's a general rant about the site. I'm just sorry I had to use someone's story to air my views.
Can't we all just get along?
Am I the only one who wants to live in YGS peace and enjoy this site for what it is... A place to post stories and comments about ghosts?
Again, don't get me wrong, I LOVE this site... Martin rocks! And I've just done the exact thing on this post that I didn't want to do, I've strayed from the matter at hand and rambled on!
Rant over
😜
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Annie:
In your innocence you have endeared yourself to me. Thank you. I believe you deserve to know that.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Uh, people... I'm really uncomfortable with all of the extracurricular attention that my posting has caused. And I still do not know what happened to my roommate and myself, or have I found out if anyone else has experienced anything of this nature...

I appreciate all of the comments, I really do. If nothing else it has caused people to view this page, where maybe they wouldn't have. Negative publicity is sometimes as good, if not better than positive. You have to take the good with the bad, or you will go stark raving mad!

Essiej: Since you chose a computer class to make a public statement on this site, I will make my response to you public also. I thank you for standing up for me. That only proves that I have done my job at least half way alright in raising you. I can not fault you for your loyalties. However (and you HAD to know this one was coming);) you know my stand, and the one phrase that should be burned into your memory by now. "You only fight for those who can not fight for themselves..." WHO CAN NOT. I chose not to. There is a difference. Please, feel free to submit any and ALL of the things that you personally go through on this site. It really IS friendly and supportive.

For everyone else, again, thank you. I am thankful to all who have rallied behind me and on my behalf. I'm sorry that my use of prose has caused such a stir as no ones writing style should cause them to be subject to question. I am sorry for all of the sensationalism that has interrupted your life for this period of time and sincerely hope that we can get back to the tasks at hand in a timely manner.

For anyone who still has questions as to the authenticity of me. I'm sorry too. I am not prepared to give out any more personal information than what is on my profile page. Please, check that out. The Internet is a "free roam" so to speak, but please be warned- it is undramatic. Then again, so am I. Yes, I was born in 1971. That does make me 35. Again, it is the word usage and how we all view things as half full or half empty. That is why I chose not to respond to that earlier. I view that as "late thirties" as others may view it as "mid thirties". What difference does that truly make?

As for the claims of unexplained proof of my being a fifteen (15) year old boy. Again, the only thing I can say is sorry. Someone very dear to me made an observation that really makes sense. My children and I are very close. We have been called a beacon and a trinity beacon (though, in truth I do not know what that means) with me as the head, so when a sensitive does feel OUR presence, especially with us in the same home, we could, in all actuality, come across as a 15 year old boy. I don't know if that makes sense to any of you, but it is the thought that I chose to embrace. Being linked to my children? Oh yeah, I'll take that 😊.

Now, can we please get back to the story? I still have lots of questions and I do not feel as if bashing each other publicly is doing any of us an iota of good. Maybe there is a new viewer out there who has had this happen and needs an answer more quickly than I did, and I would welcome the opportunity to help someone else out.

Thank you all for this time.
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Abby: I'm sorry that I didn't know what you meant by "Fini..." In all honesty, I've been going through a hard time lately, and simple things sometime escape me.

I'm sorry to hear that you're done with this site. For as long as I've been a member of this site, I know for a fact that you've been treated with the utmost respect. It seems that for the first time you've been "questioned", you choose to leave. I'm very sorry to hear that. I've always held your opinions in the highest regard. I only wish you the best. I will truly miss your input.

Best of all to you, Annie..."Annie"
essiej (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
abby,
I would love to understand where you come from but I cannot. I don't understand why you have to suggest false accusations. My mother is NOT a guy. She is not false. Your the one calling yourself a "human hippocrite" not her. She set up a myspace just to prove who she is she shouldnt have to do that. I tried to sit back and be quiet. Whitebuffalo is my mother and if you don't believe me, who I say I am, me and my friend have a myspace our email is princessbethany14 [at] yahoo.com.if you don't believe me look us up.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Hey WhiteBuffalo, I hope all is well 😁! I just wanted to tell you that I had sent a couple emails to you at your new address, but they got bounced back. So I went ahead and mailed them to your old one.
Take Care!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: