You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Prissy

Real Ghost Stories

Prissy

 

I have only had one paranormal experience in my life, when I was in my early twenties and living with my aunt in California. This had to have been somewhere between twelve and fifteen years ago, I don't remember exactly.

My aunt's cat Prissy (short for Priscilla), who had been a beloved pet and a part of my aunt's life and mine for eight years at the time, had become very ill with feline infectious peritonitis and had to be put to sleep.

The day after this happened I went into my aunt's room and I very clearly saw Prissy's white-tipped black tail hanging down from beneath the closed curtain as though she was there sitting on the windowsill like she always used to do in life.

I suppose this could have been my mind playing tricks on me, but to this day I really believe that I saw her there. My heart instantly started beating very fast. I whispered Prissy's name then started crying and ran out of my aunt's room in a panic.

Looking back on it now I don't know why I was so frightened. I guess I was scared that she would respond to her name and would jump down from the windowsill and I would see a ghost instead of just a ghost's tail.

When I told my aunt what I saw she believed that I could have seen Prissy's spirit and she didn't think there was any reason to be scared.

Prissy never made an appearance in my aunt's room or in any room of the house after that.

I sometimes wish I hadn't run out of the room like that. If there really WAS a ghost cat in there I don't think she was trying to scare me. I think she must have been there to say goodbye. Or maybe she just wanted to look out her window one last time.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Squeak_the_bat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Hi Squeak,
I'm sure if you poked about a bit on the site, you'd see that having a loved pet come around for a visit is not so unique. That reads odd, but is actually meant to be a comforting remark. Personally, I don't think it was wishful thinking on your part. As Tweed says "Treasure this moment'.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Squeak_the_bat
Because of various allergies to cats in the family we own dogs. I'm still a cat lover though as I grew up with both dogs and cats. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I lost my dog Jethro to cancer, he was only 6 1/2 last July, then in the beginning of March I lost my 13 1/2 dog D to old age. I had them both euthanized because I don't believe in letting an animal suffer. Yes I have spotted both dogs as has my husband at different times. We know that they are being very well taken care of by my grandparents.
Sincerely
Red
roylynx (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
Squeak_the_bat, Thank you for answering!
This case, I think Prissy is still looking after her two legged families.

I used to have a Turkish Angora Cat named Aurora. Lack of care, the poor cat had a tragic accident, she left us her kitties and one of them is with me, a black coated male with the same pair of eyes (blue left eye, and yellow right eye), and my family named him Henrique.

I too think that Aurora is still somewhere looking at us protecting her little babies.

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx
Squeak_the_bat (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
[at] roylynx yes, it was in the daytime. Around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, I think.

I have never been prone to having hallucinations, so if that's what it was then it was the first and one I've ever had in my life. It's possible, I suppose, but I still think of it as an encounter.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-06)
Sweet story. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I had a similar experience with a beloved cat.

In 2000 I had a cat named Toby that I was very close to. My mother passed that spring and Toby was my best friend and the closest companion I had during that difficult and painful time.

In January of 01 I was living in a draughty old house with an unreliable wood stove. I stayed warm at night by sleeping between an electric blanket and an electric mattress pad. Toby always slept under the covers by my hip.

Sadly, he died suddenly in his sleep while I was at work one day. For a solid week after I lost him, every night there was a Toby-shaped cold spot under the blanket where he always slept.
roylynx (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-06)
Hi! It is so sad to hear about someone's cat gone. Makes me think that I need to put extra love on my own cat.

Well, I am not saying that animals will not come to say their last goodbye, but your situation could be explained that since you see the cat being on the windowsill often, it might be a Hallucination from your past memories. Also we often gets emotional due to any kind of stress, stress from tiredness, stress from sickness or even stress from sadness or anger.

Some questions, did this happen during a daytime? Did you smell the cat or feel the temperature that it had? I am just really curious about the experience.

Thank you for sharing.

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-06)
I love animals but personally I don't like cats. It gives me contineous snezzing 😠.
But at the same time when I read experiences like this It tilts me towards thinking of having a cat 😆.

Regards
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-06)
Hi there Squeak the bat,

Loved your encounter with Prissy. 😊 How I can relate to wishing I'd not backed outta somewhere after experiencing something odd. You really kick yourself afterwards, it's quite frustrating.

Sure this could be explained away as a 'wishful thinking', but I doubt that because of your reaction. You seemed to know what this was immediately, a ghost encounter with a cat you love.
Thought I'd share something with you, which may help.
About ten years ago I was at my Dad's, just got there and went to the kitchen. There was a bunch of people talking in the lounge. When I entered the kitchen their cat was under the table sniffing shopping bags. This cat peed in the back room a lot so it copped the name 'Pissy'. So I say "Hey there Pissy", or something like that. My stepmum, biggest nihilist I know, shouts "What?" from the lounge. I yelled back that the cat was getting into the shopping. She didn't really hear properly 'cause of all the conversation and yelled back "Oh yeah, Pissy met with God". She's so not religious, that's just her way talking.
Anyhoo, after a few amused questions from me turned out their cat had been 'gone' for a few weeks. I never clarified to her that their cat was still getting up to mischief.
Well, that's one that couldn't be explained away by a 'wishful thinking' hallucination. I really feel the same applies to your experience with Prissy. I'm of the belief that pets stick around or at least have the ability to visit once in a while. Treasure this moment.❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: