You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Selvidge Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Selvidge Ghost

 

It was my first day in middle school. I remember being super eager to talk to everyone and make as many new friends as possible. As a result I met a ton of new people including some of the older kids which was a "super" big deal back then. At one point someone had mentioned to me that there had been a car accident out in front of the school some years back. The person in the car accident had apparently hit a tree or something and managed to make their way to the front door of the school before passing away. Whether this story was true or not I wanted to believe what my new friends were telling me. Anyways, there was a girls bathroom at the front of the school right as you walked in the door to the right hand side. For some reason I always got the creeps by it because for some reason nobody ever seemed to go in there, though you would think it would be the most popular of the bathrooms seeing as it was so close to the front of the school and the closest to the cafeteria.

A couple months in to school I joined the theater company and tried out to be in a play. I made it too! I was very excited to be able to stay after school with my new friends and be in a play. How our school was set up was really weird. When you first entered the main lobby of the school straight ahead were 2 sets of double doors that led into a cafeteria. If you walked in to the cafeteria to the right was our raised stage and if you drew back the curtains of the stage you could see straight into the gymnasium. If you hadn't gone straight in to the cafeteria and you took a right at the front of the school it took you down a long hallway and you could enter the gym through its own set of double doors and across from the gym was the creepy bathroom. Just to paint a picture for you.

Now it was the night of the play all the kids were in the gymnasium getting dressed and reading over their lines while all the parents were on the other side of the curtain sitting in the cafeteria. The play had started and my part didn't even come until the second act. I was increasingly getting nervous and found myself desperately needing to use the bathroom. I asked all my girlfriends if they could go with me, seeing as the one I would have to go in was the creepy one across the hall, but none of them could. I finally walked out the doors and to the bathroom. As I walked in I chose the stall closest to the door. Not long after I heard the door swing open. Me being the nosey kid that I was watched out of the crack and saw someone pass and I heard the stall door at the far end of the bathroom swing shut. I proceeded to looked under the stalls to see if I could tell who was with me in there by their shoes, but there weren't any. At this point I about fell off the toilet I was so freaked out. I left my stall to go wash my hands and as I was doing so the sink next to me turned on. I shakily reached over and turned off the faucet then turned off mine, hastily grabbed some paper towels and ran out to the hallway.

Halfway down the long hallway I saw a girl probably around my age. She was wearing a powder blue dress that came a little past her knees and had dark wavy hair past her shoulders. I watched curiously trying to figure out who she was, thinking that she was one of the girls in the play and wondering why she would be walking down there when the doors were back by me. She walked to the end of the hallway with her back turned towards me and then vanished in to thin air. At this point I proceeded to sprint back to the gym and threw myself in the doors as quickly as possible. All the kids turned towards me and a few of my friends rushed over to see what was wrong. I had gone noticeably pale in the face and was breathing heavily with my heart ready to pound out of my chest. I recited my story to them as they shook their heads in disbelief. Needless to say none of us girls used that bathroom for the next 3 years until we graduated middle school. I truly do believe that "something" else was in that bathroom with me.

Other hauntings by cheercat

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cheercat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cheercat (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-27)
Omg! I am so sorry the layout of the school is so difficult to discribe! It's like they built the school around the gym and the cafeteria and instead of the two sharing a wall they had a stage that separated them with curtains. And yes the girls bathroom opened up into the hall not the lobby. I will go back and edit the story and hopefully use better description.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-25)
Creepy to say the very least! I do believe you saw a ghost, or something. My family and I have experienced all sorts of paranormal things which I plan to share on this sight.

Thanks for sharing!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-23)
Greetings, cheercat.

I'm going to be presumptuous and clarify the architectural layout, as I had the same question as lady-glow, and had to re-read a bit of the physical layout of your school. My apologies in advance if I am incorrect in my description.

I think, from cheercat's description that the Girls' Room did not open directly into the main lobby, but into the hallway which was in the far right corner of the lobby. The Girls' Room would then be the first door on the right in that hallway, it would be adjacent to the lobby, close to the front doors and the Cafeteria, and opposite the Gym. I'm basing this on the architectural designs for American schools which were prevalent in the suburbs of the 1950s and 1960s. Similar lobby designs would have been in effect in the late 1800s, too, but the description of the Gym doubling as the Backstage made me think of the craze for building multi-purpose areas. As anyone knows who has used a "multipurpose" space, it usually ends up being cluttered with the debris from the *other* purposes and becomes about 50% useless.

Biblio.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-23)
I don't get it!

"...there was a girls bathroom at the front of the school right as you walked in the door to the right hand side..."

"...When you first entered the main lobby of the school straight ahead were 2 sets of double doors that led into a cafeteria. If you walked in to the cafeteria to the right was our raised stage and if you drew back the curtains of the stage you could see straight into the gymnasium. If you hadn't gone straight in to the cafeteria and you took a right at the front of the school it took you down a long hallway and you could enter the gym through its own set of double doors and across from the gym was the creepy bathroom..."

It seems to me like the layout of your school changed from one paragraph to the next. 😕 🤔

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: