You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Death Parade

Real Ghost Stories

Death Parade

 

I was asking my mom to tell me Nepalese ghost stories because I like listening to ghost stories and I wanted to get to know a bit more about our culture.

One of the stories she told us about was this parade of floating fire balls

For example this would happen when someone dies, and when it's dark a fire will appear on the street. This is like a fireball that's floating, and from afar it looks as if somebody's holding a torch (which would be the fire). Then more fireballs (like things) appear behind like there's a small group following the first like a march, then this group of fireballs increase and looks like a festival march where there's lots of them.

It kind of reminded me of the Japanese ghost festival, or something like that where the ghosts or demons come together and walk holding lanterns.

When hearing this story me and my sister were like "okay, decent story" but our mom was like "this story's true, I saw it." We didn't really believe her because this was an odd story.

Then she told us how somebody in her village died and a few days later the phenomenon happened, and her and her siblings watched the parade from their second floor balcony. And she described it to be really beautiful but scary.

Now, me and my sister were like, you saw it from afar, maybe what she saw wasn't what it really was. I couldn't believe her but kind of had to as she watched it with her brothers and sisters so more than one person was watching it.

A moment later my dad came and mom asked him about the story and whether he'd seen one because apparently every Nepali kid has seen such thing then he casually said "yeah, me and my friends always watched it when it happened".

I was so confused. Dad continued and said how it was kind of scary but he finished it off by telling the whole family that there's a scientific reason for it, like apparently scientists from Nepal discovered that a "gas" is created from the dead bodies.

But the scientific explanation didn't make sense to me especially how my Dad's explanation was so vague.

I hope I see this phenomenon when I go to Nepal, but is anyone willing to explain the "scientific" point of view because I'm all open to your point of view.

Other hauntings by uju13

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, uju13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

cjworm (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
I am from Uttarakhand, India. I have heard similar stories from my family elders. In fact, my elder sister who is 28 rn, has witnessed it. We call it "Twole" in our kumaoni language. We have a mountain right in front of our home in village, where young kids who die are buried, and the similar parade happens there.
Its amazing to see this collective paranormal phenomenon that we share and experience, with minute regional differences. 😍
HADDI (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-14)
In the Nepalese culture it's called "RAKHE BHOOT".
People used to see them in Graveyards, fields, hill slopes,etc. According to scientific reasons -it cannot travel distances.
But I've know people who saw it come from the hills and disappear into the river.
Dipeshbasnet (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-14)
my mom used to tell me this same story. Long time ago when my mom was a kid they used to sleep outside at night and they used to see those chilling scenes. And I came to know the word "Raake Bhoot" by her. It was worth reading 😁.thanks for posting it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-21)
Orb: Possibly a visual manifestation of spiritual energy, usually in the shape of a circle or ball but sometimes in other forms/shapes.

Fireball: A common spell in Fantasy Games whereby Fire is summoned in the shape of a ball and cast directly towards someone or something... Tends to do a 'LOT' of damage. (Side note: there may, just may be some groups of investigators that use the term 'fireball' when describing an orb.)

Ball Lightning: Natural Phenomenon, Rare but does happen. When Lightning discharges in a ball like shape.

Respectfully,

Rook
___ambitious__ (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-21)
Can anyone explain me difference between orb and fireball? Please 😊
roylynx (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
I totally have information about the "Japanese ghost march" that you have said in your story, it is called "Byakki Yakou", or Night March of Hundred Ghosts (Demons). Also, some people believe that "Death" will "collect" enough spirits before sending them the "other side", and that is why there will be such "parade".

Talking about the scientific explanation, the "gas" that the scientist said is called methane gas, I guess.

But talking about Japanese afterlife culture, they believe that "spirits" of the dead will become "hitodama" which translates into, human fire, no, not a burning person but it's like what you have described as a fireball.

Here you can see Dr. Wiki's explanation.

According to one theory, "since funerals before the war were burials, so it would be common for the phosphorus that come from the body to react to the rain water on rainy nights and produce light, and the meager knowledge about science from the masses produced the idea of hitodama."
Another possibility is that they come from fireflies, of which three species are common in Japan: Luciola cruciata, Luciola lateralis, and Colophotia praeusta. All these snail-eating beetles and their larvae are famous for their ability to make special body parts glow (bioluminescence) and make them blink rhythmically. Every year at the Fusa-park in Tokyo the legendary feast Hotarugari (meaning "firefly catching") is celebrated. They have also been thought to possibly be misrecognitions of shooting stars, animals that have luminous bryophytes attached to them, gasses that come from swamps, light bulbs, or visual hallucinations. There have also been some "artificial hitodama" created using combustible gases (an experiment in 1976 by the Meiji University professor, Masao Yamana using methane gas).
In the 1980s, the Yoshiko Ootsuki posited the idea that they are "plasma from the air."
However, there are some hitodama that cannot be explained by the above theories, so they are thought to come from various phenomena.
So, scientific but strange. We got lots to learn LOL

Love from São Paulo
E.Lynx
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Hello uju13. I think its the same as Philippines "santelmo". A ball of fire that signify spirits nearby. I hope I can read more from your story
Midnight_Flower (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
True or not this was an interesting story. I'm curious to read what anyone else knows about this happening.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: