You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Oom Whitey

Real Ghost Stories

Oom Whitey

 

So we used to stay on the second floor of a flat which consists of three floors in a place called Westbury in Johannesburg. Which is one bad place. Anyway we moved out a couple of years ago. At our flat there was an old homeless man, who's name was Whitey. Not sure if that was his name but we all called him that I guess because he was a white man in a coloured area. Anyway, so he decided to make his small little home under our stairs of our flats. He used to get food from everyone staying around there and supplies etc.

One day in the heart of winter it was freezing cold and everyone was mostly in doors. As the days became a bit more warmer it started smelling and someone realized that it came from his place. We were shocked to find out that he had frozen to death in the winter. A lot of people were very sad as they liked him. He was not a nuisance and helped where ever he could.

Fast forward couple of years after School. Me and couple of my friends from the surrounding flats are coming from the club and we walk up the stairs heading to my flat to spend the rest of the night drinking at home and sleep over at my place. We see Oom Whitey standing on the stairs, and we all greet him. It was very dark as the stairs had no lights and all we could see was a dark figure, forgetting that he died and we were very drunk laughing and talking loudly. When he asks one of my friends for a light and they give him a lit cigarette and we continue walking up the stairs. When one of my friends remember that Oom Whitey past away a couple of years ago. We all turned back to see a smoke and nothing else where the figure was standing.

We ran to my flat as fast as our legs could carry us up that stairs and we all ended up sober from shock. Some people say they still see him walking around there and than disappearing into thin air

Other hauntings by Zizzo

 

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zizzo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
Fergie - That account of Cafelelion's does have similarities to Zizzo's. Cafelelion mentions that witchcraft was commonly practiced in the town in Mauritius where he lived and he thought that might have had a connection.

In that earlier account there seems to be the possibility of some sort of purely telepathic link with the apparition but Zizzo's account as presented suggests that the combination of a pre-existing knowledge of a homeless man dying and alcohol conspired to create a ghost.

Thanks for directing me to that earlier account though, it's very interesting.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
Manafon, the closest I have heard to this is from a post 6 years ago.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/famous-ghost-stories/thecigaret by Cafelelion.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-25)
Zizzo - The image of a cigarette floating in midair brings to mind the movie The Invisible Man and a Three Stooges episode that centered around a haunted house. Unless the cigarette was on the ground. Outside of such Hollywood entertainment I have never heard of a ghost asking for and smoking a cigarette. There are reports of apparitions being seen smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipes but like the ghosts they are apparitional in nature.

As you and your friends were drunk, it seems more likely that it was a person who asked for the smoke and as it was near where Whitey died you assumed it was him. Either that or Whitey really went out of his way for his nic fit.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: