You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Challenge

Real Ghost Stories

The Challenge

 

It all started with a silly challenge. This story dated back to summer of 2007 on the year we appeard our board for 10th. My cousin and a couple of friends were sitting on the roof and planning for the next set of mischief when the topic of ghost and supernatural started. There is a place in our locality where history of murders have happened. A 2 km stretch of dirt road with no lamp post. On one side a huge pond and other side farming land. No houses at least 1 km from the road. Desolated and dark as it was it had an eerie feeling of being haunted. The place I am talking about is in Berhampur Odisha.

Tales of this place being haunted was imbibed to us by our family. We were not allowed to travel through the route after dark. People stopped commuting through the road after 7 pm as its reputation preceded it. Countless murders, robbery and accidents have happened in this place.

Coming back to the actual story Ashutosh, Vikram, me and Raja we childhood friends going to the same school and living in the same locality. Every evening we used to sit at my rooftop and discuss the next set of mischiefs that we would do in school the next day. As we were discussing, Ashutosh as a big boaster he was started boasting about not being afraid of ghost. Ashutosh being my cousin I had to support him by negating any argument that my friends threw at him.

After a lot of argument, Vikram proposed a challenge where Ashutosh has to walk through that road at around 1 am and meet us at a tea shop, near the Muslim burial ground, which remains open the whole night. It was a 3-4 km walk that included a hindu cremation place, Muslim burial ground and the stretch of desolate road in between. Vikram and Raja would be waiting for him near the tea shop and would pick him up from there back home. I volunteered walking with Ashutosh not knowing what was to come.

We started a around 12:45 pm with a pack of cigarettes. The road starts with a huge banyan tree, which is said to be the place where people have seen disembodied figures. As soon as we reached the place we lit a cigarette and smoked there for a few minutes before we started again. After smoking we decided not to look back at any noise that's going to come from behind and keep on walking whatever may be the case.

After walking around 200-300 meters Ashutosh told me that he is able to hear a tinkling noise of women's anklet. I being so into myself had not heard it. I asked him just to keep walking as we had discussed earlier. Few minutes later I could hear the tinkling noise myself. A little afraid and a little concerned about both of us I asked him to run for life. It still gives me goosebumps when I remember the incident. We are running but could hear the sound of the anklet as it was just right behind us.

Imagine being in a desolate place, running for life and suddenly your friend falls. The slippers he was wearing were off his legs, his hand and knees scratched and bleeding due to the slip. I stopped, helped him up and asked him to run again.

Running bare footed we crossed the Hindu cremation ground and Muslim burial ground and reached the tea shop where both of our friends were waiting. We heard the sound chase us for around 1 km after which it suddenly stopped. Although it stopped we kept on running until we reached the tea shop. Relieved of being safe I lit another cigarette and ordered a tea when Ashutosh pleaded to bring back his slippers. I asked him to forget it and we would buy a new ones instead of risking life going back to the place. But he insisted and hearing his plight me and Vikram rode back to the place on a bike after we completed the cigarette. Now the plan was clear, Vikram would drive, I will get down pick up those slippers and we drive back.

We drove for around 5 minutes in the empty road and we were there where Ashutosh dropped his slippers. I asked him to turn the bike while I collect the slippers and we start. By the time I collected and turned back I saw Vikram in a shocked state looking right through me. I asked him what it was and why is he looking so pale. The answer was plane and blunt "There is someone right behind you looking straight at us". I asked him who it was. He said a lady in saree.

I was afraid, both for myself and Vikram. I asked him to slip to the back seat and took over the ride. Not looking straight I kick started the bike turned it and rushed off from there. Vikram had lost his color, mumbling throughout I saw the lady standing behind you. We reached the tea shop. Raja offered him some water and after around an hour he was back to normal. We drove home and made a pact not to venture out at nights from then on.

To be true I was present when both of them crossed the road. Apart from hearing the tinkling sound of the anklet which Ashutosh also heard I never saw the ghost. To be exact, I could not muster the courage required to look at that. I chose to live and fight another day. What Vikram saw that night might absolutely true or his imagination, only he has the idea. But that incident made us all a little grounded and believe into the fact that supernatural entity exists.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anshu1990, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Anshu1990 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
[at] Lady-glow: Berhampur during 2007 was not that developed and still is a very backward place. Generally women unaccompanied do not wander at that time of the night. Hardly u see people in the road after 11 pm.
[at] sushantkar: All four of us mentioned in the story belong to a very influential family back at Berhampur. So there was no stopping us riding a bike at that age as neither police used to stop nor our parents stopped us.

And I have clearly mentioned I did not have the courage to see when vikram told me about that. I am not sure it could be a lady as Lady-Glow said. This is just an experience that we had that ni8. This place I am talking about is well lit last time I check 2 years back, still people do not commute through that route.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
The story the o/p narrated when they were at 10th standard. They went to challange a game by sending his friend into a place which was alleged of being haunted. Also they were on a bike through which they ran after seeing a lady in white. Now, let me ask the o/p, according to Indian road act, to drive a bike, you must have driving license and for that a person must be atleast 18 years old, but as you said that you were in 10 standard at that time that also means you all were teenagers at that time. Careless and senseless act.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
seemayadav,
Not sure about in India, but in the US, being buried in white was very common, and many believe spirits appear wearing their death clothes.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
What lady-glow states is true. Our publishing a story doesn't necessarily, mean we personally believe it, or that it's not a *normal* incident. We leave that up to the reader to decide.
One really does need to look at all aspects before leaping to the conclusion of it's a ghost. Since we weren't present during the incident, the only tool we have is asking questions. Unfortunately, when it also involves a good many different cultures some of the questions might sound skeptical, or even 'dumb' to those of the same culture. That's understandable.
Let me tell you a quick story to illustrate how these incidents can be (sorry for the interruption, Anshu):
I came home from work to find my room mate waiting outside for me. I asked him what's up, as he was clearly frightened. "I think we have a poltergeist. The kitchen and bathroom sink cabinets keep slamming!" Long story short, I discovered our cat was learning to open them using his paws, and when they pulled themselves closed (Bang!) he'd run and hide from the noise, giving the illusion that there was no 'natural' cause. Of course being a cat, therefore weird, he kept repeating the action. Was my roommate lying? No. Was his fear real? Undoubtedly. Was another logical cause, easily arrived at? Nope. He even had another witness to the noise - ME!😳
Now based on my experience, if another poster writes they're experiencing slamming cabinet doors, and I ask if they've a cat or mice, that person could think I was being skeptical, or don't believe them, but I'm really just being logical based on MY experience. I think many of the regulars to this site, think that way.
seemayadav (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
why all the people mention's that ghost in white clothes? Iam not agree with that the ghost wear's white clothes
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Aprajita - I'm NOT a skeptic... I only like to contemplate all the possibilities before jumping to a conclusion, specially if the conclusion is "It's a ghost and it want's to get me!"

I know there're spirits out there, sometimes interacting with us living people, and some other times just doing their own thing, and even in some occasions offering their help or in need of it, and there are the ones delivering a message or a warning, comfort and advice. But, in the same way, I know of many people who prefer to be terrified than trying to find an explanation for something that seems to be off the 'norm'.

I understand the feelings of fear, but I don't believe on allowing fear to become a mind-killer... To become a superstition.

"If the story has been approved by the YGS team, it already means its not a *normal* incident."

I'm sorry to disagree but, unfortunately, this forum attracts many wannabe horror writers and just because a story has been published doesn't mean it is a real experience, either because of the poster's perspective or because of their deceiving intentions. The moderators have explained many times that they aren't allowed to reject some stories just because they think they're not real. I bet the Mods, too, roll their eyes while reading some of the most outrageous submissions.

I'm not here because of my knowledge nor my expertise on paranormal matters, I'm here with the purpose of learning and I don't mind to challenge my beliefs nor to move out of my comfort zone; what you call my skepticism might be nothing else than the reflection of my inquisitive nature.

Like we say in my country "Yo no tengo pelos en la lengua que me estorben para hablar" (There's no hair on my tongue impeding my speech).

Anshu1990 - I apologize for the disruption. If I were one of your friends, I'm afraid, I'd have gone back several times to that place just to see if the woman's always there.;)
Aprajita (3 stories) (53 posts)
-3
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
[at] ladyglow "not normal for a woman". And these guys were actually roaming because of a game. That wasn't a normal thing obviously. It was due to a bet. All I'm saying is stop being skeptic all the time for every story. Ruling out possibilities of an incident as not a paranormal one is fine but being skeptic is another thing.
If the story has been approved by the YGS team, it already means its not a *normal* incident. Well you must hold a lot of knowledge bout this topic but being skeptic always isn't a thing.:)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-10)
Apragita - though I appreciate the clarification, I'm afraid you are overgeneralizing by thinking that all around the world is like India.

"... No Indian female or any normal person in this world would roam around like that at such an hour."

Well, at least Anshu and Ashutosh, and then Anshu and Vikram were roaming around that forbidden area at such an hour, weren't they? Would this make them 'abnormal'?🤔

And if they had no problem breaking the 'norm', wouldn't it be possible for someone else to do the same perhaps because of a great need and lack of better options?

"...White sarees are mostly worn by widows so this actually indicates she or it mustn't be a normal woman."

I'm really having trouble understanding this particular sentence. Do you mean if a woman is wearing white she should be consider... What?: crazy? A witch? A threat? Evil? An alien disguised like a woman?👽

I guess we couldn't see each other eye to eye on this topic, where I live, it's normal to roam on the streets at any time during the night and no one would consider you an apparition nor a weirdo.

Thanks for your input.
Aprajita (3 stories) (53 posts)
-4
6 years ago (2018-04-10)
Well [at] ladyglow if somehow you can read this then I've a point to make, the author had mentioned it was 1 in the night so as you don't know much about Indian women behavior I must let you know, no Indian female or any normal person in this world would roam around like that at such an hour. So possibilities are whatever vikram saw,wasn't a human. Also wearing white is not a common thing in India. White sarees are mostly worn by widows so this actually indicates she or it mustn't be a normal woman.
Aprajita (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-10)
That was scary. Though it could have gone worse since there were two burial grounds but you guys were lucky enough not to encounter the worst. *heavens forbid*
But damn you started smoking in 10th? 😅
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-09)
Anshu - I suspected that there was some source of light at that moment, but couldn't resist to make a joke. 😜

"...she could have said something seeing us on the same road don't u think."

I really have no answer for that, I'm not sure if Indian women's behavior is regulated by different rules than those for western women. I have no idea if it would be allowed for a woman to talk to two complete strangers that happened to be men.

About your experience, in my opinion, there's not enough evidence as to say if the woman was a ghost, after all, it's not like Vikram saw her vanishing in front of his eyes, or floating two feet above the ground, or doing something else no living person could do.

Was she a ghost or was she a grief stricken wife/daughter/sister/mother visiting the place where she saw her loved one for the last time?

If a ghost, she didn't mean any harm to you. If a living person, perhaps she was relieved to see both of you guys running away without bothering her.

Thanks for sharing.
Anshu1990 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-08)
[at] lady-glow: we were actually on a bike. So I could see him as the headlight was on. It could be possible a lady might be using that road, but she could have said something seeing us on the same road don't u think. And as I said I have not seen the apparition or lady. It was only Vikram who saw that
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
-2
6 years ago (2018-04-05)
😕 Does Vikram glow in the dark? Otherwise it's hard to understand how you noticed "he had lost his color" in a place where there were no lamp posts and was desolated and dark.

Would it be possible that a living woman was walking behind you? Perhaps she didn't have another choice than to use that road to go somewhere.

Keep the good work, not many people would be able to run almost 2 km after smoking a cigarette. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: