You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Neighborly Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Neighborly Ghost

 

The first paranormal experience I ever had was at 8 years of age. I had been really close to an elderly, male neighbor who was dying of lung cancer. We would always walk around the neighborhood together, but I didn't know he was sick. I was too young to truly understand what was going on and my parent weren't very helpful.

I came home from school one day and saw a hearse in my neighbor's driveway. I didn't know exactly what that was at the time, but I knew it meant bad news. I ran from my house to his and was told by his wife that her husband had passed away. I was devastated! My parents took me to the calling, which was really hard at 8 years old (not that it gets much easier with age). I remember he was wearing all white and looked like he was sleeping. His wife, to whom I became close to, too, hugged me and comforted me. She told me he was in Heaven and was not suffering anymore.

I'm not sure how much time had passed since the calling, but I don't think it was more than a month, when my older cousin decided to sleep over. Instead of sleeping in my bedroom, we slept in the lower level of my house (den) along with my two older brothers. Sometime in the middle of the night I woke up and looked over at the couch that was nearby. I saw my neighbor sitting there watching me! He was all white and transparent. He just sat there with his legs crossed like it was no big deal. I was scared for whatever reason and hid my head under my blankets. When I looked back, he was gone. I never saw him again after that. I'm sure he was just letting me know that he was okay. I know it's possible I was dreaming, but I don't really think so. Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Merryk1683

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Merryk1683, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Merryk1683 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-28)
Thanks, Augusta! That must have been a difficult time for everyone. It's good to know that I wasn't crazy when I thought what I saw was a hearse lol.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-22)
Ugh! I got all choked up and forgot all that I meant to say! I meant to put in that my grandparents passed at about the same time as your neighbor and one of the few things my mother will mention on the rare occasion she speaks of that period in her life is that she did not want a hearse to come to the house to pick up her parents because she didn't want their passing to be remarked upon by the neighbors. Maybe that sounds odd but she wanted privacy and I think she's a lot like me in that being asked over and over "are you ok?" only makes you focus more on how NOT ok you are. So she specifically requested a plain van for the removal. This indicates to me that a hearse was an option at the time for body removal- or at least a vehicle that looked enough like one to be virtually indistinguishable to the layman.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-22)
My grandparents passed from cancer within 4 months of each other, my grandfather being the last to go - at about the same time you were going on walks with your neighbor, my grandfather was having breakfast with 4 year old me and dancing me around the kitchen stood on his feet. Little did I understand how stomach turning the smell of breakfast must have been or exhausting the very thought of dancing to a man on chemotherapy. I didn't understand death either but he did and knew it was drawing ever closer for him - enduring the discomfort common pleasures had become to see me smile and spend those last moments with me was an incredible gift... One that I am tearing up just thinking of... Your neighbor went on those walks with you for the same reasons, I am sure ❤

I am just as sure that you weren't dreaming that night because my grandparents came to say goodbye to me as well - it's in my first story shared to this site, if you are interested, have a read.

Welcome to YGS!
Merryk1683 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-20)
Cups, I'm not sure what the policy was back in 1989. I know it's different now (I've seen the Coroner's van around town). However, I was only 8 and it looked like a hearse to me, but I understand it could have been something else. Whatever the vehicle was, I knew in my gut it meant something was wrong. And no, I don't believe you sound like an ass... Lol 😊
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
Tweed & Kindly - good points, good points... Thank you both.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
Cups, here in Ontario Canada it was and I believe still is common for a deceased person's body to be picked up by cars that look somewhat like hearses. After the coroner or police would makes their determinations about cause of death the body would be released to the hired funeral home or contract service for the coroner. These vehicles, although less stately, could easily be confused for a hearse. My cousin actually owned one and used it as the family car after it was no longer used to pick up bodies (the price was right).
My son is a paramedic and they do not transport people who have already died at the scene. That service is reserved for the living.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
Cups, and anyone else. First call cars can look like a hearse, they can also be vans. But some are lower and look quite hearse like, same overall shape.
A formal hearse, the one we all know, is reserved for funerals.
So I can imagine a child's mind processing one of the lower long shaped unmarked vehicles.
(Family florist business = random odd info)

Hi MerryK,

Thanks for sharing, these are the best kind of ghost encounters. He may have picked that time to show himself because you had your friend with you, so were less likely to be scared finding him there.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
I should also add, feel free to put me in my place. For the reasons stated below, I'm on the fence with this one, but it may vary state to state.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
Hi, Merryk, I don't mean to sound like an ass... But hearses don't generally pick up bodies from homes. I only know this because growing up, my best friend's family ran (and still does) a funeral home. Normally a paramedic in a van comes to do the pick-up; hearses are only used from the funeral home to the cemetery. The job of the hearse-driver is typically that of the funeral director, not body removal.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-17)
Hi Merryk,

Welcome to YGS. 😊 I really enjoyed your account, it's nice to know our loved ones 'check in' with us from beyond. I don't think you were dreaming either. 😉

Thanks for sharing a lovely experience ❤
Dee
Merryk1683 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-17)
Thank you lady-glow and astral! I will be sharing more in the future:)
AstralPhoenix (1 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-17)
Your neighbour just wanted to check on you and let you know he was okay before crossing over.

Thank you for sharing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-16)
Welcome to YGS.

I agree with you, your neighbor wanted you to know he's fine and free of pain.

Thanks for sharing such a lovely experience. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: