You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Someone Was Home

Real Ghost Stories

Someone Was Home

 

The first time I saw the house I would eventually grow up in, I was about 6 or 7 years old. My older brother by 2 years was with me. While my parents looked inside the house, my brother and I explored outside. Our back yard (about ½ an acre) ended at a wooded area and we had a chain link fence separating our yard from the woods. We met some cows at our fence that were very friendly! I never had any bad feelings while exploring.

When we actually moved in, my mother told me I would tell her there were people in my closet and I was scared. My mom figured it was just my fear of being in a new place. I remember sleeping in my parents' bedroom for a while after we moved in. Then, one day, I told my mom that it was okay, the people in my closet were friendly and I talked to them. I don't remember this!

As time went on, little things would occur: the TV would turn off by itself, lights would turn off by themselves, but nothing scary or even definitive enough to say our house was haunted. Everything could be explained logically.

My parents divorced when I was 13. My mom and her boyfriend would go out a lot and my 2 older brothers were always out, too. I was home alone a lot and by this point in time, I was a scaredy cat and didn't like being home alone. I guess I had read too many ghost stories lol.

I had been out with a friend one night and my mom, her boyfriend, and brothers were gone, too. I came home to what I thought was an empty house. The house is a tri-level. The main level had the living room and kitchen, 3 bedrooms and a bath upstairs, a den, bed, bath, utility room downstairs. My bedroom was upstairs, directly in front of the stairway, my mom's bedroom was to the left if you were coming upstairs.

So anyway, I get home and go inside. I turn on the hall light and start to go upstairs. Our hound dog was at my mom's bedroom door going crazy. She would only do that if someone was in there. I assumed my mom was home, but I didn't want to wake her up by knocking on her door. I went back downstairs, turned the hall light off, and could see her light was on by seeing light coming from under her door. I went back upstairs and knocked on her door. Nothing. The dog was still going crazy. I went to the garage, and sure enough, my mom's car was gone. I was too scared to open my mom's door because at this point I thought someone had broken in.

Before jumping the gun and calling 911 (because I knew my mom would be furious if I did) I called my mom at her friend's house and asked if she had left her light on. She said no, but after realizing how scared I was, she lied and told me her boyfriend had and to just go turn it off. I went upstairs, opened her door, and the light was off! I jumped the stairs and ran outside, refusing to go back in until someone else got home. There was no sign of a break in.

My mom never took me seriously when I told her the house was haunted. I thought I was crazy and would never talk to anyone about this stuff. Eventually, I started finding people that also had experiences and I was able to open up about my own experiences. I am very happy to have found YGS! Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Merryk1683

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Merryk1683, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-03)
Thank you for sharing your story I enjoyed reading it I hope you keep us posted good luck
Merryk1683 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-22)
Thanks, Tweed! I love my mom, but these instances made me mad, too. The really crazy thing is she would tell me she believes in ghosts, but doesn't believe we have them lol. I did run out of the house and my friend (who had dropped me off that night) called at the same time to see if I was ok. He and his dad came back to sit with me until my mom got home and to check on things. It was a crazy night, but, looking back, it wasn't threatening so you could be right about the protection aspect 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-21)
Hi Merryk,

A very vivid encounter, found myself clearly picturing everything you said.

I'm a little disappointed you felt you couldn't call the cops on this weirdness. Instead calling your mother, to appease the status quo. Sounds like you took on a scapegoat role within your family where the unexplainable occurred.
I'm intrigued by the psychology of the evening, your mother seemed to be in a circular logic vortex. Knowing you were phoning for a potentially serious reason, appeasing her by calling her ahead of the cops, then your mother displays knowledge of weird events within the home, by not calling the cops herself, instead making up some crap about the boyfriend being responsible for the lot. Hmmm, and skeptics have a squeaky clean image in society. Situations like these show many flaws in this kind of reasoning.

I get a little peeved when I hear situations like these. It gets to me when folks don't pay attention to the little things. I'm sure your mother meant well, but a bit of honesty goes a long way. There could have been an intruder, very serious. Glad it was a ghost. Ironically I wondered if a ghost was attempting to make the place appear occupied while you were all out, for safety reasons. My grandmother had a ghost that did stuff with the TV, we think, for that reason. 😊

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: