You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Haunted Bonnet

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Bonnet

 

As a paranormal investigator I travel the USA in search of Haunted Locations. One day I got a call about a house in Atlanta, Georgia (Georgia is one of the most haunted states in America). I was asked to come out and investigate a house belonging to the McHugh Family.

I drove down to Georgia and found the house which was located in the middle of nowhere. I drove down an old winding dirt path to get there, and then up a steep hill and when I got to the top, I was greeted by a woman in 18th Century clothing who told me she had been waiting for me. I parked down the road and walked up to the door after the woman led me down the driveway. I turned around to thank her but she had mysteriously vanished into thin air. I was baffled and stood in shock for a couple minutes.

I knocked on the door and asked if there were any reenactors present to which the woman who had answered replied that there were none. I told her about the lady and she responded that I had encountered the residential ghost of Francesca McHugh, the wife of a medical doctor in the late 18th Century. I went inside and had coffee before conducting my investigation. I was in the kitchen rinsing out my mug when I looked out the kitchen window to see a shadowy figure with no face staring back at me. I wasn't startled but taken aback at the sight of the figure.

I started by doing an EVP Session. I asked some questions and concluded the session and an hour later I reviewed my recordings (Not Available for listening). I gathered some disembodied voices but couldn't quite tell what they were saying however, I could tell the voices belonged to a female. The woman who answered the door for me earlier gave me a bonnet that belonged to Francesca McHugh, which supposedly had Francesca's spirit attached to it. I asked if I could keep the object to which the woman said I could because she wanted to get rid of it.

I took the bonnet and put in a glass case in my "ghost room," a room in my house that I keep haunted objects in. I called the family a month later and asked if they were having any other experiences to which they told me they weren't anymore. Satisfied, I started work on this story after getting permission from the house owners. The McHugh Mansion in Atlanta Georgia is a private residence and is not open to the public.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MikeChandler001, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

InTheTARDIS (2 stories) (14 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Hey everyone,
Just let me step in here...*owww who put that there*.
Firstly as a Georgia native I have to let you know this Chandler guy is clearly a troll. Please don't feed the trolls. *points to the don't feed the trolls sign*. Once fed they don't leave... Much like many of my distant relatives who will remain nameless.

Firstly Dr. McHugh's mansion isn't in the middle of nowhere at least it wasn't the last time I saw it. Secondly there is no way in hell that family would allow "phoney ghost hunters" (I know there are good real ones around but I highly doubt he's one of them) to go into their house. It's currently under state trust even though living members still stay there they wanted to preserve the home for its style and age. So it can't be pulled down and or modernised by idiots. So glad their doing it to older homes in Atlanta now as we've lost so many good ones over the years to greedy land purchases and developers.
And the McHughs sure as hell wouldn't allow anything to be posted online by someone like Chandler who clearly is full of it. He'd be lucky if their lawyers don't get involved. The McHughs are a very old Georgia family. I'd not want to mess them around.

Sebastian
sugarANDspice (19 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-02)
Oh, that's so cool! You have a private museum of haunted thingies at home!
I wish I could visit one day. ❀

S&S. ❀ ❀
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Heck, Mrs.Rizzo, just call me Val. My full nic will tie your fingers in knots! πŸ˜‰
MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-26)
Thank you Valicry for explaining it to me! Sometimes I feel old. Haha I am sorry if I spelled your name in correct. I don't want to be a troll.
Thank you again!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-22)
Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.
MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-22)
I am sorry what does trolling mean? I hear it a lot. Sincerely
- mrs Rizzo
MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-22)
Thank you for sharing your experience! It is definitely very interesting 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Rex-D...no, it's not a typo, from now on I will call your lovely wife 'Mrs Jubeele Dundee', and you 'Dundeesaurus Rex'.

Don't worry... I'm going to do it only in the privacy of my mind. πŸ˜‰
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
T-Rex
I would have guessed CuddleRex (king of the cuddlers).

Thanks for Thanksgiving wish.

I am thankful for finding, and participating in this community.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Rex-T - Sorry, typo. I meant lady-glow will be chuckling not chucking. Then again, who knows what our glowing lady will come up with πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Rex-T - Who do you think is going to fall for that one? Crocodile Dundee indeed πŸ˜•

Jubeele is hanging around with her tongue in her cheek and lady-glow is chucking and thinking... "whatever".

You aren't serious are you? If you are I think you need some guidance from a big sister.

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Cuddlebear,

Eventually, no secrets with the great minds on this site. A bout of typical YGS questioning and the truth will always emerge.

I was planning to tell you that I was "Crocodile Dundee" (it worked with the security guard at LAX) but my cover has been blown by Jubeele and lady-glow.

I'll get in early and wish you all a "Happy Thanks Giving" instead.

Rex-T
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Jubeele - perhaps "SweetSaltwaterCrocodile"? 😐

Now everytime I see a bear roaming around, I'll wonder if it is Rex-T after crossing the Pacific ocean...
Well, I won't be seeing any 🐻s during the winter.β›„
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Hahaha. Well, Rex-T isn't called Cuddlepot or Snugglepie. πŸ˜† He has an alter-ego, T-Rex, πŸ¦– who occasionally swims across the Indian Ocean to SA where he helps Melda and Fergie keep the bad people under control. He usually comes back twice his size.

The teddy bears at our place call him "Daddy Bear". When he's in a bad mood, he's "Growly Bear". 😜
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Rex-T: I wonder if that name is "CuddleLizard"?πŸ€”

50505050
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Melda - sadly sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet.

T-Rex - oh do share! To be honest the name got out and I could never recover it. Serving on a ship you have no secrets.

Thanks both!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Cuddlebear - Why do you think you offended me? 😁 I was actually joking with you!

Ha ha Rex-T, I have the means to gain access to that name😊

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Cuddlebear,

I was born in the late 50's to become a child of the 60's. With two older brothers, there was not much peace, love or flower power, just the school of hard knocks and rock'n'roll.

Nothing wrong with having a tough hide and thick skin. So congratulations for surviving the 60's and (of course) Melda is right about the skin getting a bit thinner with age and experience.

But rejoice one and all, one day the escapees will return home to the Trollheim Tunnel and again start demanding payment for safe passage.
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollheim_Tunnel

By the way Cuddlebear, my wife has a similar name for me but I'm not that courageous to make it public knowledge.

Rex-T will suffice 😁
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Melda ~

If I offended you I'm sorry, it was certainly not intended. You remain one of my favs and wouldn't do anything to annoy you.

The thickness of one's hide depends upon many things, not just age: life experience, circumstances, and general disposition play into it as well. I realize this site calls me middle aged, but I'm likely on the senior side of that designation (I'm a 1960 vintage, shhh). Military service and Basic Training (Boot Camp) add some thickness as well. Add to that having the lads that work for you discover your wife calls you Cuddlebear, well that too can thicken a hide.

Again if I offended you I'm truly sorry and I very sinserly apologize.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-16)
Cuddlebear - This is just for you. You say your hide is too thick - well guess what, so is mine. Do you know what the difference between a thick hide and a thin skin is? The older you get the thicker your hide becomes and the thinner the skin. Signs of aging. You probably aren't there yet πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
DirtCreature (guest)
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
Lol no one is invading your privacy, buddy. You state being an author and have conflicting immature answers. Angry trolls be trollin. πŸ˜†
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
I can understand your frustration, Mr. Chandler. I hope you can understand mine. My default position is to assume someone is telling the truth, at least as they see it, unless and until contrary evidence comes to light.

There are so many things about your profile and stated identity that contradict one another. So, yes, I'm trying to figure out enough about you to get an idea of your veracity.

And, as Melda pointed out, there is enough that is 'lazy' or 'do not care', that I truly question if 'professional' applies here.

I regret if my words offend you; that is not my intention here. No personal attack is intended, just wanting clarification.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
Crap, my fingers and mind are not in sync today. When you post something, not someone LOL Sorry about that, y'all. 😊 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+8
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
MikeChandler001 - when you post someone on the internet, regardless the forum, you have to expect people to ask questions. You also indicated you would participate in the discussion. Giving a little bit of information in response to questions and/or comments is just enough to make people ask more questions. I'm trying to figure out why you consider it invading your privacy πŸ˜•

You have admitted to having two different accounts, as well as being a ghost hunter and an author. One profile suggests you are an adult who, I would think, would have thicker skin than this. If you get this worked up over questions asked on a public forum, how do you react if someone doesn't agree with your findings or how you conduct a ghost hunt?

πŸ˜•

This comment from MikeChandler001 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
Haven, Melda, and Lady-Glow ~

You three are among the posters I respect the most - so thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

Melda - I didn't see anything argumentative in your response. You gave a perfectly valid answer to my question. Besides which I like to think my hide is too thick and I'm too old to get upset over a website post.

I fully appreciate the position of asking questions for clarification of a point, but if you are unsure of the original post, what certainty do you have that the response, if any, is any more honest? (rhetorical I admit)

My position with trolls - here and elsewhere - is this: essentially they are seeking attention; so don't give them any...

Again thank you for your time
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
Cuddlebear - people ask questions still giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, the given answer/s will tip the balance about the author's credibility and honesty.

Besides, we are individuals and, as such, expected to react in different ways towards the same stimulus. πŸ˜‰

As for Michael McHugh-Chandler Phillips-Hyatt, I'm sure by now everyone have figured him out.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
Cuddlebear - You asked an open question, so I'm going to reply to you.

On this site we don't like being treated like a bunch of idiots, which is why people who treat us as such will get a lot of questions and negative comments. If somebody lies to you once, and admits that he did troll, why should you believe anything else he has to say? Should he be allowed to get away with it? I can't speak for everybody else but as far as I am concerned he has cooked his goose as far as YGS is concerned.

The author even goes so far as to say that he was just creating something quickly and is too busy to be bothered with names and ages. What a very strange attitude.

My response to you is not argumentative. You put a question out there and I'm offering my opinion regarding trolls.

Regards, Melda
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
Hi, Cuddlebear -

I think nobody can know for sure if something is true or not. Even when stories are far-fetched there is always a possibility that they are true. We all have stories that if told to a non-believer would sound like a lot of shenanigans. I believe that the questions are asked in order to get more information in case we're missing something. Anyway, that is why I ask questions when I'm not 100% buying it.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-14)
As a new comer to this board I have a general question for all posters:

If you believe a post is fiction why do you waste the effort and time pointing it out in the comments? Surely you don't expect the poster to come out and say "yep I Tom Clancied this whole thing" (okay Perhaps Lovecraft would have been a better choice)? I've noticed the very same behaviour on political and sports websites as well and I've always been curious...

Mr. Chandler please do not take this question as my commentary on your veracity. I do have one question for you however - you claim to be an "expert" on the paranormal, what makes you more expert than anyone else? I'm always leery of that word and the way is can be bandied about.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: